The Perfect Gift

World Of Our Own
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Woah. A month of not updating. I’m sorry. It’s March. You know how it is when school days are about to end. It’s hellish for people like me. Exams. Grades. Forms. Grades. Forms. Grades. Forms. My goodness! :<

 

But hey, I survived! Yay! Oo na. Mananahimik na ko. You subscribed to this story not to my diary. LMAO I missed you Royals! Hihihi.

 

Oh! Thank you sapphireblue940421 and jannelle for upvoting! :D

 

 

 

 

 

“Why is it everytime you need to research on somebody, it would always be me who’d do the deed?” Eunhyuk wryly asked his bestfriend. The restaurant had closed already, leaving the two on one of the tables and busying themselves on the laptop. “Seriously? Are you computer illiterate or something?”

 

Donghae just pushed him to the right. “Aish! Just do it. It’s your laptop after all.”

 

Exasperated, Eunhyuk kept on muttering as he typed the name. Kris Wu. They waited for the Google to get it when . . . “Oh.” He said and narrowed his eyes on the screen. “Him?”

 

Donghae studied the pictures. “Deh.”

 

“Okay.” Eunhyuk started clicking on other websites to find information about the guy. “Kris Wu or Wu Yi Fan in Chinese,” He began while munching his barbecue-flavored chips. “The Wu’s are in the Forbes magazine’s top 100 richest in the world for the past years. Same thing as the Yang’s. They own various business establishments such as malls, hotels, food chains, condominiums in every part of China and Macau but these are nothing compared to that one particular enterprise that hailed them as the wealthiest family in the country.” Eunhyuk nodded before clicking for more pictures and pointed at them. “5 star resorts.” He let out a long whistle as they looked at the pictures. “Their resorts are not limited in China and Macau alone. They made a marking name in Las Vegas, Hawaii, Bali, Philippines, Maldives, Mexico, California and the recent is in Bora-Bora.”

 

Donghae could only swallow, he couldn’t even take a bite on that chip on his right hand. A resort? He never even entered one for their family in Mokpo lived just right in front of the beach.

 

“Kris Wu is the only heir of their empire. No cousin or other grandchildren but him. Damn. How he could be so lucky?” Eunhyuk commented with a bite. “He’s currently studying in Yale, taking up Business Administration as his second course. He’s already finished Architecture and got his license just last year.”

 

“Lovelife?” Donghae couldn’t help but ask.

 

Eunhyuk slowly turned his head to him. “Don’t tell me you like him. Are you gay?”

 

“What? Of course not! Just type it!”

 

“Tch.” He began typing again. “None.”

 

“None?”

 

“None.” He repeated. “Lots of dating flings but the site says there’s no official girl. Or maybe he’s just private and secretive about it.” Eunhyuk drank his cola. “There.” He shut down his laptop. “Why are we researching about this guy again?”

 

Donghae stood, preparing himself to leave. “He is Dara’s fiance.”

 

“Ahhh.” Eunhyuk nodded and put his feet on the table a little too comfortably. He was on the middle of emptying his glass when it sank on him. He jerked from sitting and some of the cola spilled on his shirt. “What?!” He stood up quickly and looked at his bestfriend on the door.

 

“Don’t forget to lock the door. Uncle will kill us.” Donghae said downheartedly.

 

“Yah Donghae! What did you just say? Kris Wu is Yang Sandara’s fiance?! Yah! Tell me more about it! Yah!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Kris?”

 

“Hi.” Kris flashed his killer smile, sitting across her and putting down his emptied beer. He signaled for the private waiter beside them and asked for a whiskey.

 

Dara looked at him in doubt but then shrugged him off by drinking her cocktail. She was in a bar somewhere in Gangnam, enjoying the solitude of isolation in the private floor despite the blaring sound and wild crowd below her. She was actually pissed that the bouncers let him in her ephemeral haven.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“Just casually visiting the country. Connecticut bores me somehow. I’m actually thinking of transferring in your school. I checked the vicinity just this afternoon and I must say that I’m impressed.” The waiter arrived and put down his drink. “Oh. I was about to see you too there but Minzy ssi said you’re absent.”

 

“Shut up. Transferring to YG? You know, your father will kill you if you actually do that.”

 

Kris let out a chuckle before taking a sip. “Well, that’s a fact too.”

 

The two fell into a silence, letting themselves be succumbed to a mix of a loud Western song. Kris stared at her for a moment, studying her from head to toe. The Yang Sandara he knew was just the same. Glamorous clothes. Perfect make up and nails. Wild haircut. Bar and alcoholic beverages. Cigarettes. y attitude.

 

The Yang Sandara he knew was just the same.

 

Except for one.

 

Her always proud eyes was replaced with loneliness.

 

“How are you?” He finally broke.

 

Dara lit her 3rd stick and clouded their place with smoke. “Same old.”

 

Noticing she won’t add more, Kris semi laughed. “You still don’t ask about other people’s s. That didn’t seem to change.”

 

She said nothing and looked at the waiter for a refill of her drink and cheese.

 

Kris took his phone out, giving a reply to a chick he met before going up there. “I heard Uncle Yang is in the country.”

 

She huffed the smoke out, remembering it. “Unfortunately.”

 

“Since when?”

 

“Last week.”

 

“Have you talked to him?”

 

“Nah.” She emptied her cocktail before it even land on the table. She nodded to the waiter to get her another. Dara was staring at nothingness when she noticed him studying her. “What?” She asked irritatingly.

 

Kris chuckled again, lighting his own cigarette. “I was about to comment that you never changed but . . .” He teasingly smiled. “You did. It’s so weird but you did.”

 

“Shut up, Kris.”

 

“Let me guess.” He leaned forward. “It’s a guy.”

 

Dara glared at him hard. “Can’t you just off and get out of here? This is my place. Find your own!”

 

“Woah! Woah!” Kris raised his hands in surrender after seeing her outburst. “Calm down, baby. Geez. You and your temperament.” He shook his head and drank from his glass. Dara rolled her eyes, ignoring him. “So, I’m actually right then.” He smirked at her. “You fell in love.”

 

Dara was near throwing her glass to his face. “Are you not gonna shut up?”

 

“Okay. Okay. Sorry. I will. It’s just that it is so shocking and . . .” He paused and snorted. “Bizarre.”

 

Dara glared at him even more which Kris found so amusing witnessing a new side of her.

 

“Looking at you who’s drowning herself in seclusion and alcohol, I’m guessing your lovelife is very complicated.”

 

She gave up on making him leave and shut up, so Dara just focused on the dancing crowd below. She grew quiet before saying, “Since when did life become not ing complicated?” And emptied her glass again.

 

Kris became quiet too, feeling strange at her behavior. He never expected this in his return. He took some nachos and ate it. “Yah. Don’t be like that. You’re hurting my feelings.”

 

“What?” Dara looked at him questioningly.

 

“I’m your fiance. You shouldn’t fantasize other man but me.” He playfully grinned at her.

 

Dara stared at him for a few seconds and finally let out a laugh. “Fiance, my .”

 

“Why?” Kris was just smiling at what he said too.

 

“You’re crazy.”

 

“Our parents are.” Kris corrected her.

 

Kris and Dara had been friends since they were kids. He was actually closer to Soo Hyuk. When Kris would visit the country, he would sometimes stay in the Yang mansion. Same thing when the Yang visited China. Dara wasn’t as close to him like when she’s with Bom, CL and Minzy but . . . Kris was okay.

 

It was in the 8th grade, celebrating Jinwoo’s birthday in Jeju when the fathers just commented that Kris and Dara should be together once they grew up and actually get married. They look good together, they said. The two were aware about their genius plan but knew well too that it would fail nevertheless.

 

They were childhood friends. That’s it.

 

Kris was a playboy even in high school. He played them so well at his fingertips. He was never in an official relationship. In 365 days of the year, 365 girls would pass by his deadly charms too.

 

They never even dated. It was like a common knowledge for them that both of them were off-limits. Kris even told Dara once that he’d want to lay his fingers on CL and Dara just told him coolly to try his luck because CL was currently inlove with an Italian model at that time.

 

They were pretty cool about their supposed engagement.

 

Because it will never happen.

 

And their parents knew it.

 

Kris’ phone rang and he stared at it. “I have to go.” He waved his phone at her, smirking. He got his girl for the night. Kris stood and went to her side, kissing her on the cheek. “This is your treat, okay? Thanks.”

 

Dara just nodded boringly. “Look out for HIV.” She added.

 

Kris just laughed loudly in disbelief. “Me? Never.” He told her confidently. “Bye! See you around!”

 

“Whatever.”

 

 

 

 

 

  

She woke up, feeling a bit dizzy. Last night was another night of margarita marathon. Dara couldn’t even believe that she actually arrived home safely. Furthermore, not arrested for reckless driving or driving under intoxication.

 

The endless ringing of the doorbell in her condo was making her want to buy the whole floor in that building and ban any person from stepping their dirty soles on it. She grunted in annoyance as she stood and slammed the door in her room to see who it was. She hadn’t even combed It’s just 9:17 in the morning. If it were Bom, CL, or Jinwoo, she would literally slam the door on their faces. One should know better not to mess with someone who just woke up, someone who was having a bad hangover, and someone who was dealing with a broken heart and freaking insecurities.

 

That’s a triple killer combo.

 

Dara flung the door open, ready to give hell to that person’s audacity of disturbing her early in the morning. “Who the fu-”

 

“Good morning too, Dara.”

 

It was as if an anaconda bit her back to reality. Dara almost jumped away from that person. She gulped so hard as she stared back at his stony eyes. “D-Dad.”

 

Yang Hyun Suk stepped into her pad and went directly to the living room, sitting on the long white couch. The emptied cans of beer and ashes from cigarettes scattered on the table and on the floor didn’t miss his eyes.

 

. Dara could only curse in her mind as she tried to fix her disheveled hair and cream off shoulder dress from last night. She knew she’s doomed. Dara tried to smile as she stood awkwardly in front of her father. “Dad. How are you? Uhm. H-how’s Hongkong?” She tried to act normal.

 

“How’s med school?”

 

Dara felt a lump in as the answer to his question faded to somewhere far from her reach. “Uhm. W-well,” . How can I say everything’s fine when I’m standing here, obviously absent and looking ty? “It’s all good, dad. I was just . . . I don’t feel well this morning, so I decided to take a leave from my classes.”

 

“I can see that.” YG coldly said as his eyes never left the emptied cans.

 

Dara looked away and shut her eyes tightly. I should’ve hired a maid!

 

“You did this?”

 

She quickly looked back at him but then saw him standing near the wall. Near her painting of a crystal blue rose. “Y-yes, dad.” She replied hesitatingly and bowed.

 

“It’s beautiful.”

 

Dara could only look back at YG, studying her work. It’s beautiful. It’s beautiful? It was the first time she heard a positive comment on her paintings from her father. Did I hear it, right? I didn’t? What? Was it hangover? She blinked her eyes, trying to sink that in. It was puzzling her but she had to be honest. After a long time, Dara felt proud. Humble yet proud.

 

“How’s med school?” YG turned to her and looked at her in the eyes.

 

The satisfaction of her father appreciating her rose painting was instantly erased by that one question. Again. “It’s good, dad.” Even her vocabulary of adjectives seemed to fade whenever she had to describe her supposed doctoral life.

 

YG let out a chuckle which kind of surprised her for a bit. “I get it. I should rephrase my question.”

 

Dara

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter