Brief Moments

Push and Pull

Hoseok's POV

During the next few times, every time I sat down next to Taehyung he pretty much showed no reaction and ignored me completely. One day, I just couldn't take it anymore. When I entered the classroom that morning I saw that Taehyung was already there occupied with his phone while comfortably leaning back in his chair. I took a deep breath and approached our shared table. I put down my backpack and when I sat down I turned to Taehyung and said: “Good Morning.”

He turned to look at me with an irritated expression on his face. He seemed to hesitate as if he had to evaluate if I was being serious and then mumbled a silent “Morning.” while turning back to his phone.

'Well, that's a start.' I thought and then started to unpack my stuff.

 

Taehyung's POV

During the following weeks Hoseok proceeded to always greet me when he sat down next to me (or vice versa) and say goodbye when we parted after the lesson. It was so unusual of him and I couldn't help being suspicious about it. I just couldn't believe how he just seemed to have decided to change his personality and behavior towards me. Most of the time I just mumbled a lazy response or just ignored him when I was in a bad mood. I mean, what was he even trying to do? What was he expecting? That he could just switch to friendly terms with me after all he had done? There was just no way he could be thinking I'd just forgive him.

One Friday during the last lesson of the day when we were doing some exercises on our own I was focused on doing mine when I noticed Hoseok sighing in distress. I looked over and saw him visibly despairing of the exercise. He let out a loud sigh and let his head fall into his hands. It was almost funny to watch.

 

Hoseok's POV

I had let my head fall into my hands in despair. I guess I had zoned out a little too often during that subject, because I had no clue how to solve the exercise.

What's the problem?” I heard Taehyung silently say in his deep voice and it sounded so near that I startled a little. I looked up and noticed Taehyung leaning towards my side of the table and looking at my work sheet. I just looked at him a little perplexed, because I hadn't expected him to talk to me at all. When I didn't answer immediately he looked up at me.

So?” he asked.

I cleared my throat and looked down at my work sheet.

Uhm, I...kind of...have no clue what to do...at all.”

Taehyung silently chuckled a little and I automatically looked up at him to see him wearing an amused smirk. It looked good on him. He then let out a sigh before moving his chair a little closer and starting to explain the exercise to me.

 

Taehyung's POV

Hoseok was mostly quiet when I explained the exercise to him besides of nodding a few times in understanding. He almost looked a little bashful. When I was done I asked: “You think you can try this now?”

He nodded again and I pulled back my chair to get back to working on my own work sheet.

“Taehyung?” I heard Hoseok whisper. I turned to him again with a sigh and whispered: “What?”

“Thanks!” he said and smiled at me. I was a bit taken aback. It looked so honest and sincere and pure. All I had seen from him so far had been evil smirks as he was mocking me. This was new. I hadn't seen that before. And it was the first time I realized how beautiful Hoseok looked as he was doing so.

When I realized that I was still staring I cleared my throat.

No problem.” I mumbled, but instead of looking away to end the moment I accidentally looked up and our eyes met. Hoseok's smile slowly faded as he stared back into my eyes. It felt like I was searching for something in them. Maybe answers. Maybe intentions. Maybe I just wanted to know if he was being sincere.

Are you done, yet, or do you need more time?” the teacher loudly said to get everyone's attention and abruptly put an end to the moment. We broke eye-contact and both looked back down on our work sheets.

 

Hoseok's POV

When the lesson was over we both started to pack our stuff, but Taehyung was faster than me as usual and already got up with no intention of bidding me farewell. I halfway turned around in my chair and stopped him.

I looked up at him and said: “Have a nice weekend.”

Taehyung's face turned into a grin for a second as he shook his head.

Are you seriously gonna keep this up?”

What?”

You know exactly what I'm talking about.”

I turned serious and hushed. Taehyung bit his lip and sat back down.

Is this some kind of new game you set up with your friends? Are you playing games with me? 'Cause I don't get it!”

No, I'm not playing you!” I said defensively.

I just...” I started, but couldn't finish and looked down.

Still no answers, I see....” Taehyung mumbled and got up again to leave.

 

Taehyung's POV

Hoseok grabbed my arm to stop me again and I looked down at him expectantly. His facial expression had turned fierce. Just the way it had always been when he was spitting hate at me. I got goosebumps.

I'm doing it, because I want to. And I won't stop.”

His eyes were boring straight into mine and I didn't know what to say to that. He then loosened his grip and let his hand slide down my forearm until it dropped.

I swallowed and fled the classroom. I could hear my heartbeat drumming in my ears and feel it thump against my rib cage as I was making my way home. What was this feeling?

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Jungkook's POV

Jimin and I were starting to get closer again. We started to spend the lunch breaks more often together again and he more frequently joined the group I was standing with during recess.

One time during a free period during the afternoon we were sitting at a table in a small group of people. Jimin was sitting across me playing with his phone. One of the people sitting with us started a conversation on ual bases and they started arguing on how they would divide them differently. I automatically looked over to Jimin who just in that moment looked up and met my eyes. I startled a little but maintained the eye-contact. Jimin did the same. I couldn't read his expression, but when I noticed his gaze quickly dropping to my lips and back up I wondered if he was thinking of that night. The images then also popped into my own head. I got a little bashful and looked down. When I dared to raise my eyes again, Jimin was occupied with his phone again and I wondered if the moment had even happened.

I then got lost in my thoughts again. The conversation didn't really interest me. I leaned back against the wall and pulled up my knees. I was startled out of my thoughts when Jimin suddenly got up and sat down next to me. He held out one of his earphones to me and said: “Here. I wanna show you a cool song. I can't stop listening to it.”

I smiled and put the earphone in my ear. Jimin settled down next to me and also leaned back. Our shoulders were touching. I wasn't sure whether I should allow myself to be happy about it and enjoy the moment, but I just did.