Battles and Victories

Push and Pull

author-note: I wrote going back and forth between the pairings again for this chapter, because it fit better. Love you guys <3

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jungkook's POV

The following days Jmin and I couldn't see each other, because both our families were up to their necks in Christmas preparations and everyone was a little stressed. I also still had to buy him a Christmas present, so one day when I went shopping with my mum I pretty much wandered off and spent hours trying to find a suitable present. It was much harder than I had expected it to be. I pretty much looked at every single object in the whole mall not really sure what I was searching for. I didn't want to go overboard since we hadn't been a couple for that long, but on the other hand I thought that we had been friends for a while now, too. We hadn't really gotten each other anything for Christmas before though, because we had never really been THAT close, but things had changed and I definitely wanted to get him something. After hours of aimlessly looking around and starting to get stressed I finally spotted something and finally thought: 'That's it.'

So I bought it and went back to help my mum.

There you are! Where have you been? I almost thought you got lost.” My mum said when she spotted me.

Come on, Mum, I'm not some little kid, I don't get lost.” I said and she rolled her eyes.

I got everything we need, so we can leave now...” she then answered and we walked to the exit.

So, what were you doing all that time?” she asked again nonchalantly.

I just got a present for someone.” I answered not really wanting to elaborate.

For whom?” she asked and I sighed.

I'm not gonna tell you, Mum, I mean it could be a present for you or Dad.” I said hoping she would drop the topic.

Oh, that's nonsense, Honey, you wouldn't spend hours looking for a present for us, I know you!” she replied as we walked to the car. I rolled my eyes.

So who is it for?” she asked curiously.

Just for a friend.”

Just a friend, huh?” she said and raised her eyebrows as I helped her loading all the stuff into the car. I shot her an annoyed look, but didn't answer.

Or is it maybe...for someone special?” she asked mischievously.

Mum-”

Come on, Honey, I'm just curious!” she said as we entered the car and shut the doors. I looked down.

So...is there someone special?” she asked again and I hesitated for a moment.

Alright...yes there is...” I finally answered, but didn't dare to look up at my mum. This conversation was getting a little dangerous. My mother clapped in excitement and turned to me.

Who is it? Do I know them?” she asked excitedly.

Mum, please, let's just go home now.”

She turned away a little disappointed and started the engine. Then she started driving and it was silent for a moment.

You must like the person a lot if you spend hours trying to find a good present for them.” she commented after a while. I took a deep breath before answering.

I do...”

Does the person like you, too?” she added.

Y-Yes...” I spluttered.

So, you're together?!” she then asked joyfully.

Yes...”

Since when?” my mother asked.

Just a few weeks...”

It's your first relationship, right?”

Yes, Mum.” I answered and rolled my eyes, but I actually felt nervous.

Why didn't you tell me?! I'm so happy for you!”

It's all still pretty new, Mum, and it's a bit more complicated than you may think.”

What's that supposed to mean?” she asked suddenly sounding completely serious and I could feel her eyes on me. I hushed.

Jungkook-”

I don't want to talk about it...at least not right now.” I said.

Okay... but you know you can always talk to me, right? About anything!”

Yeah I know...thanks Mum.”

 

 

That evening I lay in bed talking to Jimin on the phone. We talked about how the Christmas preparations had been going and about our families.

I kind of...accidentally told my mum that I'm in a relationship today...I didn't mean to, but she was so persistent and I couldn't avoid the topic.”

Oh...” Jimin answered. “How did she react? How much does she know?”

She seemed to be more excited about me being in a relationship than myself....I just told her that there's someone special and that we're together, but I didn't elaborate."

Oh, I'm special!” Jimin said cockily and I could hear him smirk.

Shut up, of course you are.” I said, but felt a little embarrassed anyway. It was silent for a moment.

I miss you...” Jimin then quietly said through the phone. My heart immediately jumped a little in joy and a swirl of butterflies raced through my stomach.

I miss you, too...I wish you were here...I sleep much better when you're around.” I said and was glad that he couldn't see me, because I was damn sure blushing a little.

Me, too. I hope I can fall asleep...” Jimin said and I yawned.

I hope so, too...my bed just feels a little too empty without you.”

Jungkook?”

Yeah?”

Would you sing me a lullaby?” Jimin asked and he sounded like he was giving me the puppy look although I couldn't see it.

What?”

I like your voice...would you sing something for me to make me fall asleep?” he asked and I felt my heart beat nervously in my chest.

Really?”

Yes. Please, Jungkook~”

I couldn't resist his cute whiny voice.

Alright, uhm, wait a second I need to think of what to sing...” I said and thought about it. One particular song suddenly popped into my mind. It was one of the songs we had listened to together when we had held hands on that bus ride for the first time. I knew the lyrics all too well, because I had listened to it countless times thinking about Jimin, so I took a few deep breaths and started singing the song, slow and silent. I felt a little nervous and insecure and I think my voice was shaking a little, but I kept going and Jimin stayed completely quiet. Towards the end of the song I gradually sang more and more silent until it was over. Then I waited for a moment.

Jimin?” I whispered, but there was no reply, but as I listened carefully I could hear his slow and even breathing through the phone. He had really fallen asleep and a wide smile spread on my face. I listened to his breaths for a while longer before ending the call and closing my eyes. I fell asleep with pictures of Jimin in my mind.

 

 

Taehyung's POV

The following days were hard. Not a single day passed that I didn't want to text him or call him and I was missing him a lot, but I wanted to give him the space he needed.

I couldn't lie down in my bed without remembering how it had been with him next to me. I couldn't help recalling the feel of his soft touch, his warm body and his irresistible lips. I couldn't help noticing how much more empty my bed seemed without him. And I couldn't stop wondering how things would go on between us. How much time would he need to think and make a decision? And what would his decision be? What would he say?! With every passing day those questions drove me more and more crazy.

When Christmas rolled around I couldn't resist texting him to at least wish him a merry Christmas. I was nervous the whole day waiting for his response. Sometime in the evening he finally answered.

'I wish the same for you and your family, too. Have a nice Christmas.'

I don't know why, but although his words were nice I felt some kind of coldness and distance between us and it made everything worse. Was he not missing me at all?! Had he already made a decision? It took all the self-control I had to keep myself from contacting him. I started studying for the upcoming exams and hoped that it would keep my thoughts away from him, but I started wondering how his studies were going and if he had started, yet or not.

A few days later some of my friends persuaded me to go to the Christmas market in our city before it would close, so even though I wasn't in the mood for it at all I agreed to go. Maybe meeting up with my friends and drinking some hot wine punch would distract me a little.

 

 

Jungkook's POV

A few days after Christmas Jimin and I could finally meet up again and it would also be the last chance to see each other before he and his family would leave to visit their relatives. We had decided to go to the Christmas market in our city, because we hadn't been, yet. I brought my gift for him with me and got more and more excited to see him as I walked to the bus stop to pick him up. When he stepped out of the bus I couldn't help but smile, because he was wearing a cute winter hat and mittens. He broke into a smile, too as he approached me. I met him halfway and pulled him into my arms leaning down to kiss him.

Hey~” he said as we pulled apart just a little to look at each other.

Hey.” I answered with a smile still holding him close.

How was Christmas?” he then asked and wrapped his arms around my neck.

Good, but I missed you.” I said straightforward. “And yours?”

Same.” he answered and went up on his toes to peck me once more before we let go of each other. I grabbed his hand and chuckled at how cute he looked with mittens and then we started walking towards the Christmas market talking about Christmas and presents and about how neither of us had started studying for the exams, yet.

We walked through the market full of booths our joined hands swinging between us and we bought gingerbread and sweets and drank hot wine punch together. It was a carefree and happy day, but when I walked him back to the bus stop I could already feel myself starting to miss him. I would've really loved to spend New Year's Eve with him at the river party, but I guess now I'd have to go with Jin and watch other couples kiss each other at midnight while thinking of Jimin.

When we arrived at the bus stop we still had a few minutes until the bus would come, so I let go of his hand and pulled his wrapped present out of my bag. His eyes lit up and he pulled a wrapped present out of his bag as well. We both chuckled and exchanged them.

Your wrapping skills are extraordinary.” Jimin said sarcastically as he examined it.

Shut up! The gesture is what counts.” I answered and playfully pushed him a little. He giggled and it warmed my heart.

Let's unwrap them at home later, alright?”

Okay.”

We then both put our presents into our bags and then Jimin stepped closer sliding his arms around my waist and I squished his cheeks to .

Hey!” he complained, but laughed anyway. I left my hands on his cold cheeks letting them rest against his soft skin as I leaned closer until our noses touched. I playfully pushed my nose aganst his and his eyes almost disappeared as he smiled, but we were pulled out of the moment when the bus suddenly arrived. We only had time for another short peck and then he stepped into the bus and I watched it drive away.

 

 

Hoseok's POV

I was standing at one of the booths absentmindedly staring into my cup of hot wine punch. I thought going out and drinking a little could be a good distraction, but the alcohol only made me think of Taehyung more. My mind was full of him and it was clouded with memories of being with him. I wasn't listening to what my friends were talking about anymore. When I took another sip from my cup I looked up and almost choked on the hot wine when I spotted Taehyung from afar. My heart stopped beating for a second and then started beating erraticly as if it was being chased. He was wearing an adorable hat and he seemed to be as absent-minded as I had been just a moment ago. I couldn't stop staring and he must've felt it, because he suddenly looked around changing the focus of his eyes and then they met mine. I opened my mouth as if to say something, but I found no words. We just held our gazes from afar and I felt so strange. It was like his stare was numbing me, but at the same time I was itching to move, to run towards him and kiss him like there was no tomorrow. I had felt some kind of desire for him before, but after what had happened between us it had gotten a lot more intense. Ever since I had tasted those lips for the first time all I could think of was doing it again, kissing him again, touching him again, feeling him again. It was clouding my mind so much that I could barely think straight.

Taehyung looked down for a moment, but looked up again right after and I was wondering if he was fighting the same battles as I was.

I felt fidgety and the wave of confusing thoughts and feelings kind of overwhelmed me, so I broke our eye-contact, put down my cup on one of the stand-up tables and literally fled the situation by running away. It was stupid, but I needed to get away to gather myself.

 

 

Jungkook's POV

Jimin and I were pretty much constantly texting while he was gone. I still wasn't really in the mood to go to the river party. I would've preferred to just stay at home, but Jin had stayed persistent and persuaded me to go with him, so we met up and went there together. After being there for not even 5 minutes I was already annoyed at all the lovey-dovey couples and Jin was getting annoyed at my pessimistic mood, so he grabbed my arm and said: “Come on, let's get some beer and then we'll go and dance.”

It got a little better after that and I was actually able to distract myself a little with Jin, but as we were nearing the countdown my mood sank again a little. Jin and I stood by the river waiting for the fireworks. When the last minute before midnight started I pulled out my phone and texted Jimin.

'I wish you were here. I have no one to kiss at midnight. Well, I'm with Jin, but I'm sure as hell not gonna kiss him.'

I was waiting for him to answer as we got closer and closer to midnight. When there were only about 10 seconds left and I had started to feel a little disappointed that he hadn't answered, yet, I finally got a text. I opened it excitedly and I could barely believe my eyes when I read his reply.

'Turn around.'

I reread the text and then spun around seeing him standing a few meters away smiling at me. I was too flabbergasted and shocked at first, so I just stood there moving, but when the countdown hit the 3 we both started hurrying to each other.

2!” everyone shouted as I felt my heart jump in joy in my chest.

1!” I heard them shout as I grabbed his face and felt his hands pulling me closer by the waist.

Zero!!!” they shouted and the fireworks started as I closed my eyes and pulled Jimin into a passionate kiss. He kissed me back desirously as he dug his hands into my waist and pressed himself against me. We kissed each other like we hadn't seen each other in a year. When we had to break the kiss for air I broke into a smile.

Jimin~ what-...what are you doing here? I thought...”

Well...surprise!” he said and smiled too as he looked up into my eyes. I leaned my forehead against his to rest for a few seconds and then pulled him into another kiss.

Someone then loudly cleared his throat and I broke the kiss to look over my shoulder seeing Jin standing there with a raised eyebrow.

Thanks, now I'm the only one not getting kissed.” Jin said.

Sorry.” I said and Jimin chuckled. Jin rolled his eyes and then we both laughed before I turned back to Jimin to pull him into my arms hugging him tightly. The new year had officially started and I just hoped it would be a good one, but as long as I had Jimin I felt like I had nothing to fear.

 

 

Taehyung's POV

On New Year's Eve I wasn't really in the mood to do anything or go out, so I just stayed at home with my parents. Ever since Hoseok had pretty much ran away from me at the Christmas market my mood had been awful. I still hadn't heard from him and I was already quite sure by then that I knew what decision he had made.

I was sitting on the couch with my parents watching some kind of concert when the countdown of the last minute to midnight started. With every passing second I felt my heart sink a little more. I wasn't very excited about the new year if it would start with the way the situation was between me and Hoseok. I grabbed a pillow and hugged it tightly as the countdown reached the second half of the minute. When there were about 15 seconds left the doorbell suddenly rang.

Who in God's name rings at our door at this late hour on New Year's Eve?” my father said.

I'll go.” I said and got up from the couch to walk to the door. I was also starting to wonder who it could be. And it turned out to be the last person I had expected. When I opened the door I met with Hoseok who was standing there panting and looking gorgeously disheveled. I opened my mouth in surprise, but Hoseok didn't really give me the time to properly react, because he just lunged out at me. His slender fingers grabbed my neck and next thing I felt were his lips on mine. I couldn't think straight anymore. My eyes fluttered shut and I silently moaned against his lips before kissing him back passionately. Hoseok trailed his fingers down my body and then slid his hands around my waist pulling me close. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pressed myself against him causing us to stumble a little. I could hear footsteps in the hall, but I didn't care about it. All I cared about were Hoseok's lips on mine. Hoseok sighed into the kiss and then deepened it. My heart was about to jump out of my chest.

When we eventually had to part for air Hoseok leaned his forehead on mine and smiled. I heard someone chuckle and turned my head to see my parents standing there. My father raised his eyebrows and my mother was giggling.

I knew it!” she said before pulling my dad with her back to the living room to leave us alone. I turned back to Hoseok who was looking at me with sparkling eyes.

W-What was that?” I asked as I tenderly trailed my fingers through his hair.

I'm still not quite sure what's going on and how to deal with this, but I do know that I want you more than anything.” he said and I felt myself blushing a little.

I want to be with you so badly Tae~ I want to make you smile, hold your hand and kiss you whenever I want to and I want to touch you.”

The way he looked at me when he said the last few words spread goosebumps all over my body and made me blush even harder.

I want it, Tae~ I really do. So...d-do you want that, too?”

I looked into his eyes and then kissed him hungrily.

I do...I do...I want it so much, Hoseok~”

Hoseok grabbed my face and looked at me with eyes as bright as the sun.

I won't ever break your heart like that guy did, I promise~” he whispered and kissed me tenderly making my knees go weak. I pulled back and looked back at him feeling unable to express all the emotions I felt, so I just pulled him into another kiss and it wouldn't be the last of the night.