Chapter 9

A Little Thing About Love

“So, the new guy will be joining us for lunch tomorrow.” I announced to my friends as we were having fried chicken in my room for supper.

 

 

 

“Mwoh?!” Woohyun nearly choked on the drumstick he was eating and Bomi had to pat him on the back to make sure he really didn’t.

 

I threw some tissues at Woohyun in case he needed them. “Yah, the girls in my class are all over him, I thought he needed some guy company.”

 

“But aren’t there guys in your class?” Woohyun shot back.

 

I thought about it and I realized that Myungsoo never really spoke to any guys today. Besides, the guys in our class were pretty weird. “It doesn’t hurt to know one more friend.” I glared at Woohyun.

 

“Weren’t you complaining about how rude he was to you?”

 

“He seemed okay today though… and we are going to be classmates so why not give him a second chance?”

 

“Don’t tell me… you like him too? Because he’s good looking?” Woohyun pointed at me while he held his drumstick in the other hand.

 

I had to lean forward to smack him on his head. That Nam Woohyun was having such a wild imagination I needed to wake him up from his dreams. “Yah! Just because I liked Jongin oppa last year doesn’t mean I like all handsome guys!” I continued to smack his head but he had raised both his arms and tried to shield himself. I really ought to karate chop his hands off someday, this is so frustrating.

 

Howon nodded away as he took another piece of chicken. “I would like to meet him and see how he’s like. Anyone who can offend our Jin like this, I’d like to know him.”

 

“Yah!” I changed my target from Nam Woohyun to Lee Howon. Seems like the only ones who were nice to me were Bomi and Sunggyu.

 

As Howon was groaning in pain because I managed to get him into a headlock, a ringtone then broke our fight. It was Sunggyu’s phone. He gave us an apologetic look and he headed outside my room to pick up the call. From the look he gave me before he stepped out, I think I kinda know who it was.

 

Once Sunggyu was outside, I showed no mercy to Howon and I continued my headlock. This wood head deserves it.

 

“Sorry guys, I got to go.” Sunggyu came back in after he ended his conversation and he looks worried. He then gave me a look that just confirmed my suspicion about the caller. It must have been about his dad again.

 

“Gyu-ah!” I called out to him before he could totally disappear from my sight. “You’ll be fine alone?”

 

The others stared at me in wonder.

 

“I mean, it’s late now. If he’s going somewhere he shouldn’t go alone right? It’s dangerous.” I tried to explain myself and I felt the other three pair of eyes burning through my skin. I gulped, hoping they would buy my explanation.

 

Sunggyu then gave me a smile, saving me from this really awkward situation. “It’s just a quick errand, I’ll be safe. Don’t worry! See you guys tomorrow!” And he disappeared down the stairs. I gave the others a shrug and continued eating my chicken but deep inside, I am worried about Sunggyu. He may be strong but his father is heavy for him to manage alone.

 

“I’ll get going to then, my parents must be waiting.” Bomi got up after we finished the last of the fried chicken and we said our goodbyes. She had left earlier than the other two bums because her parents were rather strict, unlike the bums I mentioned.

 

“Ahhh, I wish I could stay here forever.” Woohyun lay down on my bed and made himself comfortable.

 

“Yah! Get off my bed!” I went to tug on his arm, trying to get him off but boy, he is heavy. Guess those basketball he played really did give him some muscles. “I don’t understand, you have your own home, why do you like to live in my room so much? Yah!”

 

“Jin! Have some mercy on him will you, he’s the basketball captain now so start treating him like a superstar.” Howon came back in after he’s done cleaning up.

 

Wow, Nam Woohyun, the captain of the basketball team? That wasn’t surprising at all. I’ve watched them play and Woohyun sure is the superstar on the team. Sunggyu too, played well and his shots were as goods as Woohyun’s. The two made a formidable duo, as their chemistry on court is unbeatable. The neighbourhood schools call them the ‘double trouble brothers’. It’s lame I know but it’s the truth. Whenever the both of them play together, it’s almost a guarantee lose for the opposing team. That’s just how good they are, and also how they’re going to maintain their championship title.

 

After lazing around for about an hour or so, I finally manage to coax the two back into their own homes. Dealing with one of them is so tiring and now there are two to deal with, I can die from this. I really can die.

 

Finally, I got my whole room to myself with nobody to disturb me from my beauty sleep. I sent a text to Sunggyu asking him if everything is alright before I slept and I was waiting for his reply. Sunggyu didn’t reply and I got worried. What if his dad got into a fight and Sunggyu went over to stop it? He could get hurt. What if Sunggyu couldn’t get his dad home and is still struggling on the streets? I couldn’t sleep knowing my best friend isn’t back home safe and sound so I kept tossing and turning.

 

It was just then when I saw a shadow by my window and it gave me shock. I almost scream out loud when I saw a familiar face. He was pointing to my window, asking me to open it. I immediately went and open my window but did that crazy man just climb from my front porch to my room window? He’s crazy.

 

“Yah! Lee Howon! What are you doing?!”

 

He came in through the window and took out his mattress and blanket where I kept for whenever he slept over. All without saying a word. He lay down as if nothing happened and said to me, “good night.”

 

This situation was totally absurd right now because first of all, he just climbed in through my window. Secondly, he barged into my room and made the place his own. Wow, he sure is getting comfy. I really wonder where did all his etiquette lessons go.

 

Howon lay down comfortably and closed his eyes with a smile on his face. “Ah, I really like it here more than my own home.”

 

“How can you like a small place like mine more than your Lee Kingdom?” I glared at his calm and peaceful face before I went to lay down myself.

 

He took a deep breath and kept his eyes closed. “This place smells more like home.”

 

I gave him a frown. My place smells… like nothing. I don’t even know what my place smells like and he said it smells like home? It’s not even his home.

 

“I didn’t want to wake your parents up so I climbed up alright. If that’s what you’re wondering. Also, I don’t want to stay in that hell house tonight. I’d rather sleep here.” Howon was answering my doubts one by one. He sure knew me well.

 

I gave a long sigh and just gave up. Howon… he probably had a fight with his parents again that’s why he came over to sleep. Sure, he may have been born into a family of riches and it’s probably everyone else’s dream but things aren’t always perfect on the outside. He has said before he’d rather be born into a normal family where there’s warmth and it’s cozy rather than his big and cold home. I didn’t question him further because I know, Howon didn’t want to talk about it. He never likes talking about his family and especially their fights. If he wanted, he’d already be complaining to me. I turned to face him, who was sleeping on the floor. “Goodnight Howon-ah.”

 

“Mmm, night Jin.” He replied sleepily.

 

Right before I fell asleep, I received a text from Sunggyu.

 

I’m fine Jin, don’t worry. My dad had a little too much to drink but we’re home now. Sleep tight.

 

I shut my phone and closed my eyes with a smile on my face. I’m glad he’s fine. And I’m also glad Howon came over instead. At least, he could have one peaceful night, away from his troubles.

 

--

 

“I’m going to be late!” I cried out as I brushed my hair and tried to wear my socks at the same time. Luckily for Howon, he left before I could wake up to get ready for school. It’s already senior year but I still can’t get myself together. Ugh, sometimes I really hate myself.

 

“Yoojin! Have this on the way.” My mother handed me a paper bag with my breakfast inside and I gave her a quick hug.

 

“Omma jjang! I’m going to go before I’m late! Bye!” I called out as I rushed to meet the others.

 

I arrived at Woohyun’s doorstep in a matter of minutes since his house was near mine and his house was also our meeting point. Except for Bomi, who will be meeting us two streets down, at the intersection just right before our high school. As expected, Howon didn’t look pleased. He stared at his watch and gave me a glare. Of course, I glared back but Sunggyu managed to stop us. “We’re going to be late, let’s go!”

 

We walked down the street and strangely, I felt that I was probably missing something. I couldn’t remember what it was even until we met up with Bomi but right when we were at the lockers, it just clicked. I hurriedly check my bag and it turns out, I was right.

 

“What’s wrong?” Bomi asked as she adjusted her spectacles.

 

I rummaged through my bag and I still couldn’t see it. My math textbook. Mr Choi is going to kill me and I am already his number one most hated student. “I forgot my math textbook. Mr Choi will have my head on a platter now.” I cried out in despair.

 

I looked at my best friends, “perhaps someone doesn’t have math today?”

 

Both Bomi and Sunggyu had math lessons at the same time as me today so theirs was out of the question. Howon said he didn’t have math but he didn’t bring his book either. My last hope was Woohyun and I gave him the puppy eyes look, hoping that it would work.

 

“You’re in luck Jung Yoojin. I don’t have math today and,” he pulled out the thick math textbook from is locker, “I have my book.”

 

I gave a huge sigh of relief and I didn’t know what has taken over me but I gave him a hug. “Gomawo gomawo Nam superstar! I owe you one.” I took his book and was teary eyed. He just saved my life!

 

Happily, I headed to class with my life saving math book only to find almost my entire class girls crowding at my seat. Okay, I exaggerated but there were loads of girls crowding around. Must be because of Myungsoo.

 

“Ahem, excuse me! This is my seat.” I took the thick math book and slammed it down on the table, shooing away all the other girls like pigeons and I finally got to sit down on my own seat. They were throwing me dirty looks but hey, I didn’t choose to sit next to him. It wasn’t even a choice. Oh, the reason why those girls were crowding around? It’s because Kim Myungsoo was quietly sleeping in his seat. Looks like someone got to class super early.

 

“Those girls are unbelievable.” I threw a disgusted look.

 

“Apparently, he’s a deep sleeper. With so many people crowding around, he could still sleep so peacefully. Isn’t he just so handsome?” Jooyeon said dreamily. I ignored her comment because looking at someone sleeping is creepy. He needs to have his privacy too. I stared at his sleeping posture where he used one arm as a pillow and had his face facing towards me. Honestly, it was slightly disturbing. Plus, his arm is going to be numb at this rate. It’s not good for blood circulation.

 

“Oh! Yoojin! Who does this belong to?” Jieun pointed to the math textbook on my table and wiggled her eyebrows. Apprently, she pointed to the name on the book. It was written in black permanent marker, “Namu’s”

 

“Namu? As in a tree? Is that your nickname?” Jooyeon asked. I stared at the handwriting and I smiled. Namu was a nickname given so long ago by us and I guess he must have liked it.

 

“It’s a friend’s.” I smiled as I took out my own marker and wrote next to “Namu’s”. On it, I wrote, “Nam Superstar”. Smiling happily at my newest addition, I capped the marker and got ready for class.

 

I had to wake Myungsoo up before the language teacher came in for lesson. Boy, he sure is a deep sleeper. “Next time, don’t use your arm as a pillow. It’s not good for your blood circulation.” I told him once he’s up and I realized how weird it sounded. Why do I even care so much anyways? He just gave me a nod and straighten his uniform as lessons began.

 

I placed my elbows on the table and rest my chin on my hands. Oh, yet another boring day has begun.

 

The lunch bell finally ran after who knows how long since I dozed off in class and everybody was rushing to the cafeteria.

 

“Wanna have lunch together today?” Jooyeon turned around and looked at the both of us. I never skip lunch with Howon and the others and I even told them I’ll bring Myungsoo today but I felt bad for Jooyeon and Jieun as well.

 

“Mianhe, maybe some other day okay? C’mon let’s go.” I gave Myungsoo the signal and left the class immediately. I felt bad for Jooyeon and Jieun. Maybe I should invite them over to my house someday. To just hang out and chill without the others.

 

Myungsoo and I were walking to the cafeteria and we even saw Hyuna and Krystal on the way. I smiled at them since they are my classmates too. It’s just that I never got to talk to them. “Thanks for letting me have lunch with your friends.” Myungsoo spoke as we walked, the atmosphere was slightly awkward.

 

“It’s nothing. I figured since we got off the wrong foot, we should give each other another chance since we’re going to be classmates for a year.” I brought up the first time we met at the park where we were both rude to each other. I won’t say I was exactly polite but he wasn’t too. He gave me a smile and extended out his hand. “I’m sorry for then too, so let’s start anew. I’m Kim Myungsoo.”

 

I laughed at his polite gesture because my first impression of him was this angry handsome guy who hates my guts but it seems like he’s a pretty nice person. I shook his hand, “and I’m Jung Yoojin.”

 

By the time we got our food and reached our table, Lee Howon was already eating away. “Yah!” I hit the back of his head and he nearly choked on his rice. “Can’t you wait for me for once?” The others at the table all straighten up and I remembered that Myungsoo was with me. “So this is my new table mate I was talking about. His name is Kim Myungsoo. Nobody bullies my table mate understand?” I glared at Howon in particular. He doesn’t care who that person is, if he’s onto them, he’s onto them.

 

Sunggyu was the first to extend out his hand. “I’m Kim Sunggyu.” Woohyun was next and then Howon followed after. Bomi just looked at him shyly and introduced herself.

 

I sat down and gestured for Myungsoo to sit next to me. In case he wasn’t comfortable with the rest yet. “Bomi’s a shy girl by the way.” I whispered to him as he sat down. Strangely Myungsoo was actually pretty easy to talk to. I thought it was just impossible to connect with him because I’ve been trying to have proper conversations with him in class but he never gives a proper reply. Somehow, he’s talking pretty well during lunch.

 

The three guys and Myungsoo did hit off pretty well as they asked him about where he came from, why he transferred schools and how was the new school compared to the old one. Myungsoo said that it was very different because he was from a small town and moving to a huge city such as Seoul needs some time to get used to. “My old school wasn’t this big so I still have to familiarize myself with the environment.”

 

“You still have it do you?” I asked as I took a big mouthful of rice.

 

“Yeah. I appreciate it a lot.”

 

“What did you give him? Why didn’t you give me too? You never give me anything.” Woohyun whined like a little kid. I gave him my deadly glare, there you go mister. Then I realized he had saved my life earlier so I softened up. “It’s just a school map, he needs to know where the important places are.”

 

“So Myungsoo, do you have any clubs or school teams you’re interested in?” Sunggyu asked.

 

“Do you perhaps, dance?” Howon questioned further.

 

Myungsoo shook his head.

 

“It’s a pity then,” Howon sulked. “The dance team could use a face like yours.”

 

“Yah!” I threw a dirty look at Howon. Did I mention he has taken etiquette lessons before?

 

The others laughed at Howon’s silly remark, even Myungsoo. I could see that he was getting more comfortable than earlier. Looks like he could click well with those guys.

 

“I’m interested in photography so maybe I’ll join the photography club.”

 

“Oh! Their room is next to ours!” I said immediately. The photography club’s room is right next to the art club and both clubs even have collaborations sometimes. Photography is a form of art too is you think about it carefully. It really is. “I can take you there after class.”

 

The rest of lunch seemed to pass by fast as we were cracking jokes and making fun of each other and I think Myungsoo really enjoyed our company. He even laughed really loudly when Woohyun told a lame joke. It was really lame but okay I still laughed. Only because it was lame. Bomi was quieter than ever but she’s always been like that around new people. It takes some time for her to open up to new friends. Thinking about it, I wonder if she’s made any friends from her new class these past two days.

 

Once lunch was finally over, we headed back to class with my belly full and ready for a nap. Looks like I’m really not a studious student am I?

 

“Thanks Yoojin, your friends are really funny.” Myungsoo thanked me as we walked back to class.

 

“It’s no big deal. They seem to like you more than they like me anyways.” I joked with him but it was true to a certain extent. The guys seem to really hit off with him. “You should join us again tomorrow. I’m sure the rest wants to meet you again.”

 

“Really?” Myungsoo immediately brighten up his smile until his dimple was even shown. “Thanks a lot then.”

 

“Yah, don’t you think they guys in our class are a bit weird?” I started another casual conversation with him as we walked.

 

“They’re… just a little bit, maybe.”

 

And we laughed. So I made a new friend today, on the second day of school.

 

After school, I brought Myungsoo to the photography club room and he got to meet the president. I then went to my art room to paint and start getting inspiration for the artwork that was supposed to be presented at the carnival this year. It was tough but I’m working on it. An idea I mean.

 

A text came through on our group chat and it was Woohyun announcing that he has detention and couldn’t make it in time for basketball practice. I laughed and typed, “what happened?”

 

I talked too much in class.

 

I laughed even harder and the others were making fun of him. Only Bomi seemed to be apologetic towards Woohyun, like she has always been. Trust Woohyun to be the big mouth that he even talked till he got detention. This has been a really funny and amazing day.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Much excites for this update because Myungsoo is officially introduced to the gang!!! I hope you guys are not finding this boring or anything hehe do leave me a comment on what you think! (I really love reading comments from my readers so yes, don't be shy alright!) Here's another chappie of Jin being a wonderful friend but also a fierce girl who loves to karate chop stuff hahahaha. Also, I wanted to thank my reader who upvoted this story! (I wanted to thank you in the last chapter but I think I got too excited and I forgot...) You know who you are! Thank you ALL for loving this story and nope, I will not get sick of saying it so I hope you're not sick of listening. I could shower you guys with all my love all day errrr day!!!!! ^^