Chapter 7

A Little Thing About Love

The final exams passed by quickly and the seniors had the most important exam of their life. I have also been avoiding Kim Jongin sunbaenim to the best of my ability. Every time I see him at the hallways, I will turn the other way and walk away. I guess he probably felt that I was avoiding him because there were a few instances where I totally made eye contact with him but I just turned and walked away. A few more times were when he even called out my name but I pretended that I didn’t hear him.

 

I had successfully avoided him until graduation that day. The juniors were allowed to sit in during the seniors’ graduation and I sat there with my group of friends. The usual. Bomi was sitting next to me quietly and I decided that I should at least tell her. The others already know about my ex-crush but Bomi had no idea. I figured I should tell her because she’s my friend as well. She deserves to know just as much as the other guys. Coincidentally, it was a certain someone’s turn to be on stage to receive his diploma. “Bomi-ah,” I started nervously.

 

“Neh?” She looked at me with those big eyes and round glasses, which she pushed them up in place.

 

“I had a crush on Kim Jongin for about a year.” I bit my lip in anticipation with what she’s going to say next.

 

What she did next shocked me so much I nearly fell off my chair. She smiled. Bomi didn’t give any huge reaction like the other guys but she smiled. I was confused.

 

“I know.” And she faced back the stage. I was still shocked by her reaction that I left my mouth hanging open for quite some time.

 

“Flies may fly in.” Woohyun, sitting next to me said as he pushed my chin up so my jaw could close. I immediately turned to Woohyun and whispered in his ear. “Was I obvious in liking Kim Jongin?”

 

He just shrugged and cheered for his team captain who was on the stage now receiving his diploma. I swear I could faint right then and there but I didn’t.

 

I was getting over Kim Jongin anyways, it didn’t matter anymore. Or so I thought. I mean you don’t just get over someone in a few days right? It really takes time.

 

Once the ceremony was over, the guys went to find their respective seniors to take photos with, leaving just Bomi and I behind. I’m not sure about Bomi but I didn’t have close seniors. My art club president may have been the closest senior I have but she never really liked my anyway. It was hard pleasing her. I just stood there awkwardly with Bomi as we waited for the guys when suddenly a familiar silhouette came over. My first instinct was to run away but he held my hand, preventing me from escaping.

 

“Can I have a word with Yoojin?” He asked Bomi. I gave her a look, which clearly meant ‘save me’ but she nodded anyways and left the two of us alone.

 

It was strange talking to him alone because his minion was usually with him but Oh Sehun was nowhere to be seen. Yes, for the first time ever, I was speaking to Kim Jongin alone.

 

I looked up at his handsome face but strangely my heart didn’t beat that fast anymore. Was I still angry at the cupcake incident? Maybe. But do I still like him? Not after knowing he was such a heartless person. Or so I thought.

 

“Woohyun told me.” He started.

 

I gasped. What did that Nam big mouth say to him?!

 

“Woohyun overheard the girls in my class saying that they were the ones who took the box of cupcakes and left it by the bin.”

 

I stared at him, urging him to go on.

 

“I know you’re avoiding me because you thought I threw them away but I swear I didn’t. I left it on my table but when I came back, it was gone. I should’ve known it was those girls. I really wish I could try those cupcakes though, they look delicious.” He flashed a smile, trying to cheer me up. “Woohyun had found out and asked me about it. He even made me promise that I’ll clear things up with you, in case you’re upset or anything. He really cares a lot about you. Are you sure you guys aren’t dating?” Kim Jongin sunbaenim cracked a joke, trying to make me laugh.

 

“I told you, we are not dating!” I said defensively. I swear the basketball guys are going to get it from me, even if today is the last day I’ll see them.

 

“Arraso, I’m just kidding.” He laughed. “Don’t be angry at me anymore, will you?” He gave me a look, as though he was a kid begging for my forgiveness. I smiled back at him when I suddenly remembered the letter. Did he read the letter?

 

“Ah! What about the letter? Did you read the letter?”

 

“What letter?” He looked at me, confused.

 

The smile on my face grew even wider than before because this meant that he didn’t read the letter. He didn’t read the letter! Yes! I just saved myself from a whole lot of embarrassment in front him.

 

“Why are you smiling so happily?” He asked me.

 

“Nothing, sunbaenim.” But the smile on my face never left.

 

“I’m older than you, call me oppa. We’ve talked more than enough for you to talk to me informally.” He then proceeded to ruffle my hair. “Yoojin-ah, I would love to try those cupcakes again someday so do let me know whenever you bake them okay?” Kim Jongin then slipped a piece of paper in my hands and he turned to walk away.

 

I stared at the slip of paper—it was his phone number. If it was a month ago, the Jung Yoojin receiving the phone number of her crush would be jumping with joy and squealing in happiness. Now, the Jung Yoojin receiving the phone number of her ex-crush was more than happy to make a new friend. I kept the number safely in my pocket and headed off to find the basketball guys. I have to deal with those two rumour mills once and for all.

 

I don’t think Jongin oppa has ever felt anything for me other than a sisterly feeling. We became closer after that and we talked occasionally. Currently, we still text each other once in a while and he would always nag at me for not baking those cupcakes that he wanted to try so much. I was just a younger sister to him and I was fine with that. One thing that will stay with me till the day I die will be my crush for him, because he can never know about it. Never.

 

--

 

Back to current times.

 

It was as though the seniors’ graduation was just yesterday but there’s only a week left till senior year starts for me. So, I’ve told you about my friends since childhood and my first two years of high school, I wonder how my last year would be though. The last year of high school would usually be the one with the most memories. Other than studying of course. There will be the seniors’ graduation trip and also the school’s annual carnival. Speaking of which, ever since Howon performed on it as a junior, his popularity in school was no joke. I’m guessing that this year, he will be the next Kim Jongin, the most popular and sought after guy in our school. I’m sure of it.

 

Anyways, so this holiday as usual, Sunggyu was working again and I had no way of helping him cover up because the others don’t seem to believe in my excuses anymore. So I just told them that he was working. I mean, Sunggyu didn’t have to tell them the reason, he could just say honestly that he was working. We hung out a lot at my place again because… it has always been that way.

 

With just a week before senior year officially starts, Sunggyu had quit his job and went to train with the basketball guys. Apparently this year, they’re going to try and defend their title and be the defending champions of the season. Good for them. I just wanted my art pieces to be showcased at the carnival and that was good enough.

 

Today, the guys had a friendly match with another school but the match was held in our neighbourhood’s indoor court. Howon and Bomi said that they would head down to support as well so I couldn’t say no too. I’m just kidding; Woohyun and Sunggyu are my best friends. What kind of friend would I be if I didn’t head down to support as well? Just then, I received a phone call from Nam Woohyun.

 

“Jin-ah! You haven’t left house yet right? Could you go over to my place and get my basketball shoes for me? I brought the wrong shoes today.” Woohyun sounded panicky.

 

“What?! Nam Woohyun are you still a kid? You’re turning eighteen and you cant even get your own shoes right?” I was basically shouting at him for being such a clumsy brat but nevertheless, I ran over to his house to grab his shoes for him. Yes, I ran. The great Jung Yoojin doesn’t run but I did. In the cold as well. Thank you very much Nam Woohyun. Well, he said it’s urgent because they were starting soon so I had to run right?

 

As soon as I got his shoes, I made a break for the basketball court but the clumsy old me had accidentally knocked over someone. I stress on accidentally because I looked up and I realized that I just knocked over a little boy and his ice cream had dropped to the ground.

 

The boy started crying and now it was my turn to panic because I didn’t know what to do to comfort a crying boy. “Omo! I’m so sorry!” The little boy was fine but his ice cream was not.

 

“Yah! Why don’t you look where you’re going?” A young looking guy about my age was holding the hands of the boy but he picked him up after the ice cream fell out of his hands.

 

“Excuse me? I said I’m sorry!” I was getting mad because I did apologize but his accusing tone was too much. And of course, I was running late to hand Woohyun his shoes. “Now if you excuse me, I have to go.”

 

The guy then proceeded to block my path. “You knocked over a little boy’s ice cream and yet you’re not even going to sincerely apologize? What kind of human being are you?” He raised his voice. Honestly, if that guy weren’t such a bastard, I would have called him handsome. Because he sure is handsome. Those good looks… but no, he’s being a brat right now.

 

“I said I’m sorry! And I am really rushing so will you excuse me?” I raised my voice to match his.

 

“It wasn’t even sincere!” He was basically glaring at me right now. I rolled my eyes and went up to the little boy in his arms as I put on my best smile. The poor little boy was still crying and I instantly felt ten times bad. Here, a kid is crying and I am still arguing with this good for nothing handsome face.

 

“Hey there, don’t cry anymore okay? Noona is really really sorry I knocked over your ice cream, I’ll buy you another ice cream okay?”

 

Hearing that I’ll get him another ice cream, the boy stopped crying and just nodded. “See,” I looked at the handsome guy, “I will buy him another ice cream before I go so you just wait here.”

 

I was about to walk away when he interrupted me. “Fine! You don’t have to get him another ice cream, you can go to wherever you are rushing off to.” He then proceeded to put the boy down at one of the benches nearby and wipe away his tears. “Alright, hyung will get another ice cream for you. You just sit here quietly and I’ll be back real quick okay?” The handsome guy had a hundred and eighty degrees change in his attitude as his tone softens with the little boy. Before he left to get his dongsaeng, I assume the little boy is his dongsaeng, another ice cream, he glared at me one last time which I gladly returned the glare. Jung Yoojin is known for her death glares anyway.

 

After he left, I felt so bad and I apologized to the little boy once again before I take off.

 

Nam Woohyun is going to kill me for being so late.

 

“Jin-ah! Over here!” Woohyun waved me over once I reached the indoor basketball court. Everybody was busy warming up and Woohyun was in his socks waiting for his shoes. “What would I do without you?” He gave me his cheesy smile, which I just brushed off before I proceeded to hide his shoes behind my back once again, waiting to hear the magic words.

 

“You know, if you wanted a hug, you can just tell me.” Woohyun winked and then gave me a hug as he tried to reach for his shoes behind my back. Wait, he isn’t even trying to get his shoes at this moment, he’s just giving me a hug. This scene was all too familiar for me. I quickly kneed him in the stomach, causing him to double over and I threw his shoes next to him.

 

“Can’t you just say the magic words?” I shouted at him while he regained his composure.

 

“You know I’ll say it once I get my shoes.” He said as he clutched onto his stomach. Once again, I felt bad because maybe I had kneed him too hard.

 

“Yah, Nam Woohyun, are you okay? Did I hit you too hard?” I said, trying not to sound too concern.

 

He slowly lifted his head up, “I’ll be okay if… if you help me get some water!” He smiled at me brightly as he tossed me his empty bottle. This was all too familiar.

 

“YAH NAM WOOHYUN!” I screamed at him while he ran off with his shoes. Apparently, I had screamed too loudly because all the other basketball guys including Sunggyu was staring at me and even the guys from the other school too.

 

“Thanks Jin!” He turned around after he was at a safe distance and gave me his cheeky grin. Oh, how I wish I could karate chop those arms and legs off. Those good for nothing limbs. Wait, if he’s disabled, I’ll be doing more stuff for him so no. No karate chopping anything off. Did I mention I hate Nam Woohyun?

 

Thankfully, Bomi and Howon had arrived just in time to save me from going insane. The match then started with Woohyun and Sunggyu in the starting five. “My money is on the other team.” I whispered to Howon as I watch the opposing team drive the ball and make a clean shot.

 

Howon then hit the back of my head causing me to give him my signature glare yet again. “Aren’t you supporting our friends? My money is on our team.”

 

“I am still mad at Woohyun for making me his slave.” I then turned to Bomi who was sitting next to me, “Bomi, who do you think will win?” Truth is, Bomi doesn’t bet so it’s useless to get her to anyway but I wanted to know which team she supported.

 

Bomi kept her eyes fixed on Woohyun who was dribbling the ball and he made a clean shot at the three-point line. When the ball went in, Bomi cheered for our team loudly. Guess it was obvious which team she supported.

 

At the end of the match, it was a close fight between both teams. No, I’m just kidding. Our team totally trashed the other team but I didn’t want to lose my money to the rich brat sitting next to me. He’s already rich, what does he even need my money for?

 

“Hand it over, Jin.” Howon held his hand out with his palm faced up, waiting for my money.

 

“Aish! I’ll get back at that Nam Woohyun!” I grumbled as I took out a five thousand won note and handed it over to him. Instead of just keeping the money, he held his pam out even more.

 

“Yah, five thousand won is for middle school kids. We’re in high school now.” He wiggled his eyebrows and I gave an angry stare. Did I mention I hate Lee Howon as well? I dug my pockets for another five thousand won bill and slammed it on his palm. Trust this rich brat to be such a calculative person when it comes to money. He should be the generous one instead.

 

Woohyun and Sunggyu walked towards us in their sweaty jerseys with their drinks in their hands. Trust that Woohyun to drink his water like nobody’s business. I could’ve poisoned it for all he knows but of course, I’m not such a mean person. “Come on friends, let’s go have some ddukbokki. My treat.” Howon held out the money he won earlier and flashed a victory grin.

 

“Yah!” I shouted at him and hit him with all my might. That was my money he’s talking about! This ungrateful brat I swear I’ll karate chop his limbs off someday.

 

“Tell this girl to stop using violence!” Howon shouted as he ran away from me. The others were just laughing at our childish fight as though we were still middle school kids. Sometimes, I wish I never have to grow up because the simpler times back then were so much better. But, you’ll never know what the future holds for you. Which is why, I’m also excited yet nervous about my senior year in high school. This year, we are turning eighteen, where we are in that awkward stage of not being kids but neither are we adults. This year, we have no idea what is to come because we have that major college entrance exam which could very well change our lives. This year, we grow up.

 

 

 

 

 

 


So for whoever who thought Kai was a mean person, I hope he redeems himself this chapter ya! ;) I love Kai too so I don't want to make him the bad guy here hehehehe. And so, we are finally in the current time of Yoojin's life. 18 years old. Her last year of high school! I am actually very tired now but I hope I didn't make too many typos and I promise I will check it again tomorrow (becuase I proof read it just now and it seems fine but I'm sure I missed out a thing or two) Thank you all for loving this story and I hope it will continue to grow on you! (or else Yoojin will karate chop a limb off or something!) I love you all!!!! lub lub ;*