Chapter 12

A Little Thing About Love

When I woke up the next day, I felt emptiness on my bed and I realize that Howon had left. He must have left pretty early since he had to go back and get ready for school. I saw a small note on my table which he had left before he went back. It was a small note but I found myself smiling like a silly girl. What the note said was just a simple "thank you" but I felt happy because I was able to be a good friend to him when he needs it the most.

 

 

 


Come to think of it, Howon has always been there for me. He ate those cupcakes I baked for Jongin oppa even though he hated sweet stuff and he had saved my life twice in a day. Counting all the things he did for me when we were still kids, letting him have my bed and company for a night doesn't seem much of a repayment. Even so, I smiled at the small note he left and kept it safely in my drawer. Today is going to be awesome.

As I got out of the bed, I noticed a phone that didn't belong to me on the floor. Checking the lock screen, it was Howon's. He must have left in a hurry that he had even dropped his phone while he was escaping through the window. I told him so many times to use the door but that brat wouldn't listen. He thinks he's Spider-Man or something, he might just get injured one of these days. Not that I want him injured, of course.

Suddenly his phone vibrated and a message came through. I couldn't help but just look at who it was from and I got a shock at the sender's name. It was Kim Hyuna. There's only one Kim Hyuna in my school isn't it? The only one which is in my class so it has got to be her. Her message was short, "see you in school! ^^". I swear I almost dropped his phone once I saw that because since when has Howon and Hyuna gotten so close? I've never even spoken to Hyuna even though we're in the same class.

"Scratch that, I'm going to be late." I muttered under my breath and chucked his phone in my bag and I got ready for school.

As I walked down the street on my way to school, I saw Woohyun, Myungsoo and Sunggyu already waiting in front of the former's house except that Howon wasn't there. I used to be the one who's always late but this time it was Howon. Not that he was any later than I am because a few seconds later, he appeared.

"Sorry guys, I'm late!" He went up to me and put me in a headlock and I elbowed his gut, freeing myself from his evil crutches.

Digging out his phone from my bag, I passed it to him.

"Oh my god, I've been searching my entire house for it! Thanks Jin!" He exclaimed happily like a kid who got what he wanted for a Christmas present.

"You dropped it in my room last night." I said.

"Bwoh?!" Woohyun cried out and his eyes were so wide they would have popped out. "Why were you in her room last night?"

"Why can't I?" Howon challenged him. I walked past the two childish kids and walked ahead with Sunggyu. Myungsoo was giving me a weird look but he went to stop the two boys from fighting. Besides, we still have Bomi to meet.

Crossing the road and two streets down, I kept my eye out for Bomi, black hair and thick-rimmed glasses but I didn't see anyone there. Bomi was never late so why wasn't she there? Looking up close, I spotted a girl and she looked pretty with black curly hair and all but she didn't have glasses so it definitely wasn't Bomi. Until I walked closer and I saw the girl approaching us with a smile on her face.

It wasn't until she was right in front of me smiling, that I recognize who she was. "Oh my god Yoon Bomi!" I went up and hug her. She had totally changed her look! Her long soft dark hair was nicely curled and she removed her glasses as well. "You look amazing! You're going to be the talk of the town! The entire boy population is going to be all over you I swear. I told you you look good beneath those glasses!"

"Thank you Jin." She smiled shyly.  Looks like the goddess of the group is still shy. I threw my hand over her shoulder and turned to the guys behind me.

"None of you touch her. If you do, you're going to die at the hands of Jung Yoojin." I pointed a finger at each of them. "Except for Sunggyu maybe. If you date Sunggyu I wouldn't stop you two."

Bomi just laughed, "that would just be weird."

"Wow, you look great." Woohyun commented. Looks like he got out of his daze and finally noticed how pretty she looks.

"Thanks." Bomi smiled shyly once again but this time, she was blushing. Oh gosh, Bomi is blushing at a comment from a guy!

"Well Bomi, looks like you're going to be up in the list of the prettiest girls in school. Jin, you better up your game." Howon chided in with a smirk on his face. I swear I was about to karate chop his head off even though he gave this 'I'm just kidding' look.

"What's wrong with Jin? I think she looks great too!" Woohyun shot back and I stood next to Woohyun, glad he took my side. Now it's two against one, hah Lee Howon you're dead.

Myungsoo then came up to the three of us and dragged us all away before we could even have our big epic fight. "We're going to be late. Let's go."

"You know I'm kidding right Jin?" Howon whispered in my ear and gave a wink before he walked further in front and my heart skipped a beat. Oh gosh, my heart needs to stop doing these weird flips whenever I'm around him. He's my best friend for goodness sake. Even though he's a charming one at that.

As per prediction, Bomi stunned everyone in school. They all wondered who's this pretty lady that just transferred but look away guys, this is Yoon Bomi you're talking about. Any of you rascals want to date her will have to go through me.

Once Myungsoo and I went into class, Krystal immediately came over to talk to him. What were they talking about? I had no idea because I was looking at Hyuna. She looked over in my direction and gave me a smile and a nod, which I gladly returned. It's awkward, considering how we usually don't speak to each other and now we're getting acquainted. She probably knows I'm friends with Howon then.

I then turned my attention to Krystal who was still talking to Myungsoo. Looks like she's really interested in the guy. Even Jieun and Jooyeon noticed and started asking me about it but I just shrugged, not knowing if Myungsoo really felt the same way.

--

"Okay class, I have a project for you guys to work on." Groans were heard everywhere and I sulked as well. It was biology class and now we have a biology project? This . "You will form groups of three and work on the anatomy of the human body. You can make posters, pictures, models, whatever is it I don't care as long as you get it done." Ms Han said. Some of the guys snickered in our class and I bet they were thinking of something weird because they're weird.

"Okay, so that's all for today." We greeted the teacher goodbye and before I could even ask Myungsoo if we wanted to form a group together, Jieun and Jooyeon turned to me. "The three of us, how's that?" Jieun said.

I turned to Myungsoo who just happened to be looking at me as well, maybe he wanted to group with me too? "But Myung—"

"It's alright, I'll find another group." He smiled. And as if on cue, Hyuna and Krystal came right over and asked him if he wanted to form a group with them and he gladly said yes. Maybe he was into Krystal too, I mean look at him smiling at her with his dimples like that. Doesn't that mean he's interested as well? What's with those two pretty girls taking interest in my best friends anyway? Not that I'm jealous, of course. Maybe just a little. Okay I don't know.

"Yoojin, can we go to your house to do the project?" Jieun asked as we left the classroom for lunch. Jooyeon came right next to me as well and Myungsoo was following behind. "Mine is too far." Jooyeon said. "And my mom doesn't like having people over. It's like she's afraid of the mess." Jieun added.

"Yeah sure, I'll let you guys know when then." I stopped in my tracks waiting for them to move along as I let Myungsoo catch up with me.

I gave him an apologetic look. "Sorry, I wanted to group with you as well but... Jieun and Jooyeon are my friends too."

"It's alright." He smiled, "I didn't say I wanted to group with you anyways." There was this playful twinkle in his eyes and I knew immediately he was joking. Way to go Kim Myungsoo.

"You've been hanging out with the two devils too often."

Once we got to our usual lunch table, a lot of people were staring at us, or more like Bomi because of her sudden hundred and eighty degree change. "Wow Bomi, you've got everybody's attention." I said as I took a seat next to her. She looked up shyly and just smiled like she always does.  It's like her appearance had a huge change but she still had her shy personality.

I took a spoon of lunch and was about to put it in my mouth when a hand stopped me. "It's spicy." Woohyun then let go of my hand and started trading my spicy chicken for his non-spicy one. Trust him to be observant. Myungsoo, who was sitting next to me, then shoved his packet of drink in front of me. "You can have it." It was my favourite grape juice so I gladly took it.

"I take back about you being mean." I thanked Myungsoo and continue eating my lunch happily. We talked and ate and gossiped and I nearly wanted to kill Howon because he was being mean again. Just then, someone came over at our table and walked right next to Howon. Correction, she sashayed right next to Howon. The way she walked was beautiful too. Like how can someone have so much beauty in them?

Hyuna smiled prettily with Krystal next to her. "I'll see you around Howon." She said ily. Yes, it sounded y and she even winked. This whole thing was just weird. I don't know why but I felt slightly annoyed. Why does she always want to see him around anyways? How do they even know each other anyways?

I couldn't hide my curiosity and I just asked Howon after they left.

"Oh, she's my dance partner for the carnival showcase."

"Oh." I replied curtly and Myungsoo gave me a weird look. Well, don't expect me to sound excited because now Hyuna will be all over Howon and Krystal is all over Myungsoo. Maybe I am jealous? I hate this feeling. But I support Myungsoo and Krystal anyways, the handsome and the pretty, they would make a good pair. But Howon and Hyuna? I don't think so.

I noticed that Myungsoo was still staring at me and I gave him the weird look in return. "Why are you staring at me like that?"

He looked away and shrugged, "nothing. Just wondering how funny your face looked."

I elbowed him at the ribs and gave him the classic Jung Yoojin glare.

"Cute." He muttered out softly but I caught it. It was weird of him to say that randomly so I looked up and saw Krystal smiling right in our direction but Myungsoo was eating away. So he thought Krystal was cute huh, Jung Yoojin has caught him.

--

So my day ended off pretty much the same but since I am the class's secretary, I had finally started collecting money for the grad trip. Not everybody has paid yet but I've kept the cash safe in a bag and I always make sure it's with me all the time so that I don't lose it. It's the class's money to turn in for the miscellaneous stuff during the trip, I can't afford to lose it. Actually, I'm pretty excited for the grad trip, which is coming up soon. Right after our midterms though, which means we still have to study for it.

Midterms will occur first and then the grad trip, which will be during our summer vacation and finally the carnival showcase before we focus totally on our final college entrance exam.

Dinner has been pretty quiet today because the guys weren't over and it was nice just spending time with my family like that. Just the three of us. It has been some time since every now and then there'll be a Howon or Woohyun or Sunggyu or Myungsoo over. Bomi hardly eats over because her parents were strict about her being home for dinner so it's always these four.

The night has been peaceful as well until my mom suddenly shouted at me. "Jin! Go to the supermarket to get some groceries for me please!" She then handed me a list of groceries.

"Omma, it's getting late. You can always get them tomorrow." I whined because the list is long, I'm not even kidding here.

"Tomorrow your father and I are going to visit your grandmother and I need to wake up early to cook for her so can you please hurry before the supermarket closes?"

I was still whining but just like that, she got me out of the house. As much as I hated to, I can't win against my mother. Shopping for groceries is tough I tell you. I don't know how to pick potatoes; I don't know how many apples she wants so I just did it my way.

It didn't end that badly because even though I was struggling to find the things on the list and the quantity, I managed to get everything on the list into two big grocery bags. One in each hand and I was heading home. Just then, I saw a familiar figure sitting on the sidewalk with his head buried in his arms and his knees propped up. The familiar brown shade of hair, those long and slender fingers, it was without a doubt the person sitting there was Kim Sunggyu but I had to check in case.

It is late and dark now so why would Sunggyu be sitting there all alone?

"Gyu?" I asked cautiously, praying hard that it wouldn't be him. He looked up and the features were undeniable. It is Kim Sunggyu.

Sunggyu looked like a mess. His once handsome face has changed to a crying mess. He had puffy red eyes and a tear stained face. Fresh tears were coming up every now and then as he looked at me. I immediately dropped my groceries and went to sit next to him. I don't even know where to begin but I just couldn't help to see him crying like this.

Extending my hand, I gave him a hug and he cried in my arms instead. It felt like minutes as I tried to soothe him and he slowly stopped crying. As we grew up together these few years, sure I've seen him cry a few times but never to this extent. I've never even seen someone cry so hard and I didn't know what to do or what to say so I just held him there at the sidewalk.

I knew he stopped crying when he finally stopped shaking in my embrace. Slowly, he raises his head and I could see his pale face. Tear stained cheeks, red eyes that had a huge contrast with his fair skin. Oh gosh, what happened to this kind and smart boy?

"Gyu… are you okay?" I ask carefully again. I was afraid that I’d accidentally set off a time bomb if I weren’t careful with my words. My hand touched his arm, hoping it would give him some comfort but he immediately flinched. Something isn't right. Sunggyu wouldn't flinch at physical contact; he wasn't a person to hate it.

Sensing something was wrong, I pulled up his sleeves and revealed a couple of bruises on his forearm. He immediately pulled away and covered them up. I gasped in shock.

"W-what... What happened?" My breathing hastened and I felt tears forming but I couldn't cry. Not in front of him when he's so vulnerable now. I couldn't.

"It's… it's n-nothing." He stuttered, "it's just an accident."

I couldn't see my best friend being hurt like this, my heart hurts in his stead. "Who did this to you?" I asked softly.

Sunggyu just shook his head, refusing to tell me and then it just clicked.

"Oh god, oh god, oh god," I covered my mouth to prevent myself from crying out loud. This can't be happening to Sunggyu. Sweet, kind and caring Sunggyu. This is just not fair.

"It's not his fault." Sunggyu breathed unsteadily. "It was an accident. He had too much to drink and I was trying to stop him and… it was an accident." Sunggyu looked like he was about to cry once more and I bit my lip to prevent myself from crying. Why are the heavens so unfair? Sunggyu basically had the hardest childhood, having to see his mother lying on the hospital bed at a young age and having to fend for himself while his father drank his life away. All he could do was stand there and look and now that he had tried to stop his father… this happened. Life is just so so so goddamn unfair.

The both of us just sat in silence and I put my arm around him once more, this time, making sure I was gentle and not to hurt this broken soul. Once Sunggyu's breath returned to steady breathings, he managed out a smile.

"Are you okay? Do you want to talk about it or anything?"

Sunggyu shook his head. "I'm just tired. Very very tired."

"Okay, then we'll get you home. I'll walk you back." I stood up but Sunggyu grabbed my hand to stop me.

"No," he said as he tightened his grip on my hand. "No… I… I don't want to go home. I…" He couldn't even finish his sentence. I placed my hand on his to reassure him that he's safe now.

"Okay, okay. How about you come over to my place? There's always extra space in my room. You can spend the night there."

Sunggyu looked at me with those soft yet sad eyes. His beautiful features were now red and puffy under the moonlight. I swear his eyes are so swollen now, it's going to take more than a night for it to go away. "Thank you, Yoojin." I smiled at him before I went to pick up my groceries and we headed back to my house.

The walk back was slow and quiet. It wasn't awkward; it was just quiet because I know Sunggyu wouldn't want me to probe him with questions and things that he didn't want to talk about. I should just let him open up slowly. "I'll help you." He offered as we walked.

"No," I refused. "You're hurt, I can't have you carrying heavy stuff."

"It's just a few bruises Jin, I'm not totally disabled. I can still help you."

"No way." I protested but Sunggyu wasn't listening. He insisted that he wanted to take my bags and I had comprised and let him have one instead. See what I mean by the heavens in unfair? Why does such a kind-hearted guy have to go through so much? Why can't he have a perfect little family like a normal kid? Why heavens why?

When we got home, my parents had already went to sleep since they have to wake up early tomorrow and I led Sunggyu to my room. I took out a change of clothes for him and helped him set up the bed Howon usually slept in when he stayed over.

"Those clothes are Howon's and this mattress is where Howon sleeps every time he stays over." I explained to him since he had a confused expression on his face. Maybe he thought I had guys stay over frequently. Its just Howon.

"So Howon stays over often?"

I shrug, "he comes and goes whenever he likes. But please, don't tell the others Howon stays over sometimes."

"Why?"

"Because Woohyun will flip once he finds out. How come Howon gets to stay overnight but he doesn't. Well he does, but not as often as Howon. I mean, look at his reaction when he found out today that Howon was in my room last night."

Sunggyu just laughed and went to change while I get ready the bed. Once I was done, I went to get some cream for the bruises and waited for Sunggyu.

"Come here." I waved him over once he was done changing and I rolled up his sleeves. Looking at those bruises, I felt his pain too. "Anywhere else?" I asked as I took the cream and applied it on his arms. Both his forearms had really bad bruises that it looks like he was going to have to wear long sleeves for awhile now. Once I was done, Sunggyu lifted up his shirt.

I gasped. There were bruises on his torso and back too. More were on his back though and the colour of his fair skin had made the bruises stand out even more than ever. I couldn't even form out a sentence as I applied the cream on his skin. His skin was warm but pale. At the light touch, he winced because he was trying to hold in the pain. My heart aches so so much for him.

After I was done, I signalled for him to lie down and I went to lie on my bed after I switched off the lights, preparing to sleep. Facing the ceiling, Sunggyu thanked me. "I really appreciate it Jin."

"Does it hurt?" I ask softly in the dark.

"Not as much as my father who's hurting right now."

I felt tears forming in my eyes again. Even after all that happened, he still cares for his father.

"He misses my mom too." Sunggyu continued, "more than anyone else he misses my mom the most so he must have been hurt a lot. More than I am."

"True love." I said as I turned to face him, holding back my tears. "This is true love. You loving your father no matter what."

Sunggyu turned to face me as well.

"I wish someday I will have someone who loves me no matter what too." I said with a smile on my face.

"You're a great girl Jin."

"Nah, I am only average."

"Give yourself more credit Jin. Open your eyes and look around, you'll find that there are more people who love you than you think." Sunggyu smiled back sweetly.

I was flustered. "W-what? You mean like… friends? You guys?"

Sunggyu laughed and turned away. "Yeah, and friends too."

I was still flustered. Wait, what did he just say? I don't get it.

"Let's sleep Jin, and this bed smells like Howon."

I chuckled. "Goodnight Gyu."

Whatever Sunggyu meant, I didn't really get it but it's alright. I guess someday I'll be able to understand what he really meant. For now, I'm just happy that my friends love me as much as I love them.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Don't kill me my dear readers!!! I had to write it even though my heart hurts so much for Gyu... Well, he is my ultimate bias too so I do feel the pain :( But here's another chappie!! I updated faster than I imagined because I'm busy tomorrow so I thought I should just update today while I still have the time! I hope you guys still like this chappie even though it was more sad towards the end. But... What did Sunggyu say?!?!?!?!?!? Wew, we shall all know in the future muahahaha (mean author strikes again) And it seems like someone else is after Howon besides Yoojin???? 

Do leave me a comment about what you think and especially if you have all sorts of theories and possibilities, do let me know because I love reading them! I told a reader that I actually drop subtle hints (maybe not so subtle if you can figure it out easily) and I wanna know if you guys caught them so just let me know what you think!!!!! ^^ Oh, and shameless advertising for me but I've just completed my other story 'Protecting the One' so if you wanna check it do, do so!