Chapter 27

A Little Thing About Love

The clock struck nine in the morning. The school was decorated really prettily with colourful banners and balloons. Loud pop music was being blasted everywhere. Along the corridors, classrooms, cafeterias and basically just the whole school. I can already feel that it's going to be a really tiring but fun day.

People were slowly strolling into our school and we all got ready for the carnival to start. I can only anticipate that it’ll be so busy today. The past two years I wasn't that busy because I was only needed at my class booth whereas now, I have to run between my class booth and my art club booth. I was allocated the afternoon slot for the class booth and the morning slot for my club's booth. Which means I'll be really busy. Of course, I'll definitely squeeze out some time to visit my friends as well. I'll try.

The first hour wasn't so bad. I still had time to chat with my club friends but from the second hour onwards, the people were increasing in numbers. More and more just kept coming and I was getting busy explaining my artwork to those interested even though it actually doesn't need much explanation. The good thing is, the public seemed to enjoy my work and I felt so contented as an artist because of that. For artists, I guess there's nothing greater than recognition. It makes you feel happy and proud that people enjoy your work and that you've spread the happiness or whatever message you tried to tell. Nothing is greater than your work being appreciated.

I was still at the art booth when suddenly Woohyun, Sunggyu and even Dongwoon came walking over.

"Jin!" Woohyun waved and he ran up to my booth to have a good look at my painting.

"Wow." He managed out.

I waited anxiously for their comments because it was one thing for the public to like my work but it was another thing for my friends to like my work. Much less my best friends.

"Well?" I prompted as they stared at it longer.

"Who's that with the deformed head suppose to be?" Dongwoon pointed to an outline of a person that was supposed to be me.

"Yah!" I shot back at him. How dare he.

"It's beautiful." Sunggyu managed out and I broke into a wide smile. At least Sunggyu thought it was beautiful.

"It's more than beautiful, Jin." Woohyun said as he continued staring at the painting. "It's marvellous."

After more compliments about my painting, the guys then left and went to find Bomi. Apparently, the three of them had their shifts at their class booths in the afternoon so they decided to just walk around together during their free time until it was time for their shifts.  And their first stop was the art booth. After which, they said that they'll be heading to Bomi's poetry club before Myungsoo's photography club.

"Do go to my class's booth too!" I shouted at the three of them as they headed along in the direction of the poetry booth. I wanted to go join them and walk around and have fun as well but I still an hour more for my shift at the art booth. After which, I have a little break of two hours to walk around before I go to my class's booth for the next round of shifts. Hopefully there'll be a lot of people helping out and then I can go find my friends to play. Also, the dance club is going to perform during my break. Call me smart because I totally planned to take shifts that didn't clash with the dance performance. As much as I don't want to see a certain person together with Howon, I had to support him as well.

The busy hour soon came to an end and I was so happy that it's my break now. The dance performance is also starting soon and a lot of people were trudging into the performance theatre just so they could catch the performance. It's not only students from our school, but the public was excited for the dance performance too. I looked around and even tried calling my friends but I couldn't find them anywhere. Woohyun and Sunggyu said that they were pretty in front but the front was too crowded for me to go up and join them. The entire theatre was literally bursting with people. Myungsoo and Bomi didn't pick up their phones and so I was about to watch the dance performance alone.

The curtain closes, signifying that the performance is about to start and the theatre starts to quieten down. The lights dimmed and the emcee for the day stood on the stage.

He began by introducing our school and the dance crew's achievements. The first item soon began and it was a senior girl named Victoria Song. She was so amazing. Such raw talent blew me away and the crowd cheered out really loudly. Especially her group of friends at the corner of the performance theatre. I just assume they are her friends since they're cheering so loudly.

The second performance was by Lee Joon. Him, I know thanks to Howon who introduced him to me the last time on the bus. Lee Joon did a contemporary item as well and he was really really really good! To say I was surprised was an understatement. He's fantastic. The standards are really high this year.

One by one the performance just kept getting better and better until it was finally time for the Howon and Hyuna’s collaboration. The crowd literally went wild. Well, Howon had a good reputation since he's one of the rare juniors who got to perform during last year's carnival and Hyuna is Hyuna. She's extremely popular among the guys.

The both of them came onto the stage and I held my breath. They painted a really good picture. The both of them got into their starting position and the music started softly. Both of their moves were smooth and the dance looked like the guy was chasing after the girl but the girl wasn't interested.

The song that started out slow started to increase in the number of beats and we could tell that it was reaching the . Howon was still chasing after the girl until he suddenly put his hand on her waist and pulled her close in. I gasped. Just slightly. Maybe. And then the beat dropped.

The couple began to dance in sync and this time, the story was that the guy had successfully gotten the girl. Well, great. The entire choreography had gotten really touchy as well. Even better. I just can't imagine the amount of time the both of them had spent in the dance studio dancing to a song with that much skinship. Bad thoughts Jin, that's a bad thought.

The dance soon ended in that same ending position I saw them in the last time I caught them together. Their faces were close to each other and Hyuna had a hand on his cheek. Everyone was cheering for their wonderful performance. I winced at that sight but I soon cheered too, for my best friend.

Suddenly in that moment that I was cheering, all feelings of jealousy were gone. I didn't feel that tightening of my chest and I found myself truly happy for Howon. He'd done it again. Stunning everybody with that perfect routine. I felt incredibly proud of him for his achievement and I just hope that his parents could see that wonderful dance as well.

I could see Howon smiling brightly after the both of them broke apart and gave bows to the audience. He looked extremely happy. The both of them then exited the stage and the emcee came out once more. He began talking about the performance earlier and he was ready to introduce the final dance of the day.

"Ladies and gentlemen, what's this whole performance about if we didn't get to see our dance president do a solo?" He teased the audience and I straightened up. Dance president solo? Howon has a solo? How come I didn't know that?

"I believe there's no need for any introduction for this guy. Lee Howon everybody!" The emcee said and he exited the stage, letting Howon take the stage.

The beat of the song was strong and I could feel my heart beating to it. Howon started dancing with smooth yet powerful moves and the audience was heated. The cheers were so loud that I swear I'm almost deaf. Not that I wasn't cheering because I may just be one of his biggest fan. Howon looked extremely hot on stage and his dance was so on point. Each move carefully executed and he didn't even leave out minor details. He must have practiced really hard for this. It was like watching someone pour his heart and soul into doing the thing he loves with so much passion. That stage, was the most beautiful stage I've ever seen.

Unknowingly, I found my eyes welling up with tears because of his performance. I could literally see all that passion he has for dance on that stage and I hope that everybody else could see it too. It's just amazingly beautiful.

Howon ended the dance and he was panting really hard. His head was bent down and I could only see the crown of his head yet I have a feeling that he's smiling really brightly.

And I was right. He looked up with the biggest smile on his face as he gave bows to the audience. I was clapping and cheering and just basically being his number one fan. He's such an amazing person.

Once the performance ended, people were moving out of the performance theatre and I hurriedly got out so that I could go find the others so that we can go find Howon and congratulate him together. Being one of the first out of the performance theatre, I noticed some interesting people. Well, interesting may not be the right word but they just seemed… interesting. There were two guys nicely decked in black suits walking out of the performance theatre as well. One of them was a younger guy, maybe mid thirties and the other guy looked in his late forties. The younger man was making phone calls while paving the way for the older man. I looked closely as they walked away from crowded areas and I noticed the older guy looks a little familiar.

And then it struck me.

The older guy looks like Howon!

I noticed the two men walking towards the car park and the younger guy was ushering the older man into the car and then they drove away. I was still standing there in shock. Had Howon's dad came to watch his performance? It must have been if not he wouldn't be walking out of the performance theatre!

Daebak.

This is huge news and I have to tell Howon, in case he didn't know.

I managed to find Woohyun, Sunggyu and Bomi together. Apparently, they found each other before the performance. Myungsoo, on the other hand was still nowhere to be seen. He must have been really busy because I remember that he had a totally opposite shift for the class booth as compared to me. Hopefully, he'd managed to catch a glimpse of Howon's performance.

The four of us then headed to the back door of the performance theatre where the dancers were all gathered at and we spotted Howon immediately. He had so many people gathering around him, wanting to take photos. He's just that popular now.

"Guys!" He spotted us and he immediately came coming to us despite some other person desperately wanting to get a photo with him.

"Damn, Lee Howon, you were on fire!" Woohyun congratulated him and gave him a hug. Well, we all took turns to congratulate him and give him hugs. No words could describe how immensely proud I am of this guy.

"How is it you never told us you had a solo item!" I scolded him for that. Is that why he's been so busy that I could hardly see him?

"Well," he clapped his hands together. "Surprise!" He gave this silly smile and I can't help but just laugh it off. That silly boy.

"I wanted it to be a surprise for you guys." He explained. "And because of that, I didn't really have much time to spend with you guys but I promise that I will make up for lost time." He winked in my direction and I felt myself getting flustered because of that wink. Could he be more attractive? He just did.

"Alright guys, I gotta to change out of this stupid outfit and grab a bite before my shift at my class booth. See you guys later!" Howon turned around to head back to the backstage to get changed but I called his name before he could totally be out of sight.

"Do come my class booth okay?" I told him. In actual fact, I just want to talk to him. Alone. I wanted to tell him about his dad. If he doesn't know, he should.

Howon gave me a thumbs up and he disappeared behind the doors. The rest of us then went ahead with our schedule for the day. Almost all of us had a shift for our class booths except for Bomi. She had to be at her club booth. Since I had some free time before my shift starts, I decided to head down to my friends' booths to show them some support.

Luckily for me, Sunggyu's class booth sold some snacks and I didn't even realize that I was extremely hungry until I saw the food. I literally begged Sunggyu to give me more of the chips, which he gladly did.

"Yah, eat slowly!" Sunggyu nagged me like my mom.

I shook my head and shut my eyes tightly, feeling myself relieved of the hunger. "I can't. I am so hungry."

"And that's why you have to slow down. You don't want to get indigestion do you?"

"Right." I followed his advice and ate slowly as I chatted with him. After five minutes or so, I looked at the time and I had to leave if I want to make it to see Woohyun and Bomi before my class shift. I wanted to find Myungsoo too but I'm not sure if he's at his booth. I am really curious at what photo is his showcase piece.

"I'll get going! Bye Gyu!" I waved him goodbye and immediately took out my phone to text Myungsoo, asking him if he's at his booth now. If he is, I'll quickly head there before its time for my class shift.

Thankfully, Woohyun's booth wasn't far from Sunggyu's booth and theirs was really special! It was a photo booth! I mean, what's a carnival without a photo booth right?

"Jin!" Let's take a photo! Without even saying a word, he dragged me to queue up for it. I saw that the person taking the photo was actually his classmate and not some professional and I was shocked.

"Yah, you guys set this thing up yourselves?" I asked him.

"Yeah! The photography guys in my class suggested it anyways. Just create a background and leave the photography bits to them.”

"Don't they have to be at their photography booth?" I pointed out.

Woohyun shrugged, "I guess they don't? It's really busy and the both of them can hardly manage alone."

I elbowed him. "Then what are you doing not helping out?"

"Nah, Dongwoon is fine by himself!"

I turned and saw Dongwoon busy collecting the money from the people who are waiting to get their photos taken.

"Yah Nam! Just because you're the basketball superstar doesn't mean you don't have to pay!" Dongwoon said once we got to the payment table.

"Ahhhh wae?" Woohyun started whining to his friend.

Dongwoon shook his head, "no exceptions. Not even with girlfriends." He looked at me and gave me a smirk. Aish that Son Dongwoon!

Woohyun then took out his wallet and paid Dongwoon before we went to get out photo taken. They were pretty quick in the sense that the photos are printed right on the spot and it turned out nicely printed as well.

After taking the photo, I told Woohyun I have to go and find Bomi before my shift at my class booth and he looked sad to let me go.

"Oh right, have you seen Myungsoo all day?" I asked.

"Yeah, he was at his photography booth and he was super busy. Maybe it's because these two guys are here so he has to cover for them." Woohyun pointed to the two photography guys from his class. No wonder I haven't seen Myungsoo all day. I was at my art club booth all day and this was finally my break.

"And his photos are daebak." Woohyun gave the thumbs up and I got really curious as to what it could be. He was so secretive about it anyways.

My phone then vibrated and I saw the text from Myungsoo.

Aniya, I'm at our class booth now.

I frowned. Maybe I'll just head to his booth after my class shift ends. I texted him back letting him know around what time I’ll be there and headed straight for Bomi's booth.

I don't know if it's because it's a poetry club but the people here all seemed relaxed and chill. Unlike all the other booths where things are messy and all over the place and people are so busy.

"Bomi!" I called out for the most beautiful girl at that area and Bomi turned with a grin on her face.

"Jin!"

"Which one is your poem?" I was excited to read it even though I have no clue or whatsoever about poetry nor do I know how to appreciate it.

Bomi then showed me her poem. It was short and sweet but it was deep. Really deep. I don't even get it but Bomi just smiled.

"I can tell you're not a poetry person Jin."

I laughed awkwardly.  "I'm sorry Bomi, but you're right."

And then they both of us laughed.

"It's still beautiful though. Even though I don't know how to appreciate it."

"And your art is absolutely beautiful." She said to me with a smile. "Just like you are."

"Not as beautiful as you though." I winked at her.

Time soon passed and I had to get back to my class booth and start my shift. Maybe I'll get to see Myungsoo there. I haven't seen him the entire day oh my gosh, just where is he? I walked past Howon's class's booth as well but Howon was nowhere to be seen and I assume he's around having fun.

Sadly for me, when I got to my class booth, Myungsoo was nowhere in sight. Again. However, I did spot Jieun there though.

"Hey, have you seen Myungsoo?"

"The first thing you see me is to ask about your boy?" Jieun joked.

"He's not my boy!" I rolled my eyes.

Jieun laughed. "Arraso, arraso. Sadly for you, he just left, his shift just ended."

Shucks. I missed him again.

"Why'd you look so disappointed?" Jieun nudged me with a knowing smile on her face.

I looked at her with my signature glare and she held her hands up in surrender.

"I just haven't seen him all day." I confessed to her.

Before Jieun could even say anything, there were people approaching our booth to play games and we had to start working. Time to get busy again.

Even though I was busy, I managed to squeeze out just a little time to read the message that Myungsoo replied.

I'll be there at the photography booth at that time I think. Make sure you see my photos alright?

I laughed at his silliness. Of course I will make it to see his photos. That's why I've been looking forward to it all day.

The booth got busier and busier as many people wanted to try their hands at the spinning wheel. During the time I was there, there was a girl who had won one of the grand prizes. It was a Polaroid camera and it was so hard to win because the spacing on the spinning wheel was so slim. Good for her! I had tried it myself just to see if I can hit the grand prize but I wasn't so lucky. Of course, Jung Yoonjin is not only average at everything but she's also the queen of misfortune. I didn't win anything.

Also, Howon kept his promise of coming to my booth once his shift ended. He tried winning the grand prize but failed too. Looks like he's not good at throwing darts at a spinning wheel as well.

I figured that this was the best time to talk to him alone. The others weren't here and my classmates won't even find it suspicious since I'm always around them. I pulled Howon to a side after he was done playing and told Jieun that I needed to talk to him for a moment and asked her to cover for me.

"What's wrong Jin?" He was confused.

"Howon-ah, I think I saw your dad just now at the performance theatre." I sort of whispered because this is a big thing. Really big.

"Mwoh?" He gave me this 'you must be kidding look'.

"I'm pretty sure it's him! He was dressed in a suit with some sort of bodyguard following him and ushering him to the car and he looks like you. Well, technically you look like him. It must have been him!"

Howon looked stunned by my conviction. "Aniya… I don't think he'll come. He never said anything about it even when I told him."

"I'm sure it's him Howon. He had even left in a rush, maybe to avoid people from recognizing him."

"I… I don't know." Howon was still flustered.

I looked behind him to see Jieun being really busy and I figured I had to go back to help her.

"Maybe you should try asking him if he really went to watch your performance. I know it'll mean a lot to you." I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I don’t… he's never been to any one of my performances or school events before. And you're right, if he did… it'll mean a lot to me." Howon then broke into a huge grin.

"You deserve it Howon. You did well today." I patted him once again and went back to the booth to help out Jieun. Before I could completely walk away, Howon grabbed my hand.

"Jin-ah, thank you." He said softly, with that twinkle in his eye and I smiled back. I really think it's his dad and it has to be. He'll finally get the recognition he deserves.

I then went back to the booth to help Jieun out and we were so busy because there are just so many people coming to play. Parents, students, children, everybody. By the end of my shift, I was deadbeat. I was so so so tired because I had been busy all day since the start of the carnival till now. I just felt like laying down for a nap. But first, I need to find Myungsoo.

He'd said that'll be there at the photography booth and so I made my way there. When I got there, the booth was crowded. It was so crowded and I don't even know why. I saw a glimpse of other photos by other students in the club but I didn't see Myungsoo's. Neither did I see him. Where is it?

It was not until I turned to a corner and saw his beautiful photo hung there. It was a shot of the temple we had gone to during the grad trip. He had titled it "serenity" and looking at it does give me serenity. You could see parts of the temple and the ocean right behind it. It took me back to the time I was there and I felt more carefree. It's beautiful.

"Whoa…" I muttered out in admiration. I then walked to the other side to look at more photos when I had the shock of my life. My jaw literally dropped, as I stood there, frozen to the ground. I looked at the credits. It was taken by Kim Myungsoo, titled "the brightest smile".

Why was I surprised? The photo titled "the brightest smile" was a photo of me.

It was me, smiling.

I looked closely and I realized that it was the candid shot Myungsoo had taken of me during the grad trip when we were at Yongdusan Park. It was when we went up the tall tower and I was admiring the view. I don't remember who I was talking to or smiling to but I was smiling in the photo. I was smiling really happily. Instead of being in colour, the photo was in black and white but it still looks colourful. Like there had been a whole story behind that smile.

I also remembered that when I saw the photo back then, Krystal was in the corner of photo in the background but she was nowhere to be seen in this photo. He had cropped her out.

Below the title, there was a description.

Titled: The brightest smile. By: Kim Myungsoo
Even if the world loses its colour, this smile will bring it all back.


And that was it. The description was short and sweet. I don't know why I just felt like tearing and I held out a hand to cover my mouth to prevent myself from crying out loud. A tear had escaped my eye when I heard someone call my name from behind.

"Jin!" That voice was all too familiar. I hurriedly wiped the tear away and turned around.

"Myung!"

He gave me a wide smile like he always did and he came next to me.

"Looks like you've finally seen it." He referred to the photo of me that he took.

I looked at it once again and I suddenly realized how good I looked in the photo. The smile on my face… I look really happy in there.

"Myung-ah… I don't know what to say." I looked at him with my teary eyes and he became worried.

"Yah, are you going to cry? Are you that touched?" He wiped another tear that escaped my eyes. I don't know why but I felt a great rush of emotions when I saw that photo.

"Thanks for making me look so beautiful." I thanked him instead. Not knowing what else to say.

Myungsoo gave a proud smile. "Remember when I told you that you can only see your own flaws but not your best? To me, this is how you look like." He pointed to the photo. "Everyday, whenever you smile, you look this amazing. So don't you ever compare yourself to other girls alright. I hope this proves to you that you're beautiful as well." He stared straight into my eyes and I had to look away.

I don't know why I couldn't look at him straight in the eye after he said that. Did… did he just call me beautiful? Omo, did he really? I could feel my cheeks heat up and I was starting to blush under his gaze.

His other photography friend then came to him and said that his shift has ended and he is free to walk about the carnival before it ends. The day was long and the carnival is about to end very soon. I checked the time and there was about an hour left.

"Let's go see your work. I haven't seen it yet." Myungsoo took me by my elbow and dragged me towards the art club booth. I don't know why but the region he touched on my arm felt hot. Like super hot, as if it were on fire. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating but I still haven't gotten over his words from just now.

"I'm sorry I haven't been able to go see your work. I was so busy all day and we had a shortage of people at the photography booth and then there's the class booth as well." He went on but I wasn't really listening. I was looking at the area where he grabbed my elbow.

"Jin?" He looked at me and I looked at him, finally.

"Huh?"

He then remembered that he was holding onto me and then he let go.

"How was your day?"

"Oh…" I started, "I've been busy as well but I don't think I'm as busy as you are. I haven't been able to see you all day!" I managed out, trying to keep our conversation normal.

"Yeah, I finally have time to walk around now."

"Did you catch Howon's performance?" I asked casually because I couldn't get a hold of him before the performance.

Myungsoo nodded. "I came just in time for his performance. Who knew he had a solo? That sneaky guy. I had to rush off after that so I couldn't go and congratulate him for his performance. Maybe I'll find him later, after the carnival."

We continued chatting like along the way until we got to my art booth.

"Wait wait wait!" I stopped him before he could walk further to my painting. "Close your eyes."

"Why?"

"Just do it."

He gave me this sceptical look but he closed it nonetheless. I took his hand and brought him to the front of my painting.

"Make sure your eyes are shut tight!" I reminded him.

"It is. Are we there yet?" Someone's getting impatient is he.

"Yeah we're here." I let go of him and told him to open his eyes.

I bit my lip as I stared at his expression. He's the only one important person left that hasn't seen my painting.

Myungsoo's thin lips slowly spread out into a wide smile.

"One, two, three, four, five, six. Which one is me then?" He counted the number of people in my painting.

"Can't you tell?" I pulled him closer. "Here's me, waving to you." I pointed out to him.

My painting was a painting of the six of us watching the sunset. It was our back view and because of the sunset, our bodies were just black, looking at the colours of the beautiful sunset. The five of us were standing in line and I was at the leftmost. Next to me was Howon, Woohyun, Sunggyu and then Bomi. Kinda like in the order that I had met them. I had my hand up, waving to someone who was coming to join the five of us. And that person was Myungsoo.

This whole painting took me really long to plan and draw and finalize before I put colours on and at that time, Myungsoo wasn't with us yet. After he became a significant part of my life, I had to add him in no matter what. That's how important he is to me now.

"It's really beautiful Jin." He said sincerely. I could feel the sincerity in his voice.

I had followed Myungsoo around as he enjoyed the last of the carnival before the school’s doors finally close. Sadly for us, we still had to pack up and clean up before we were dismissed. It's going to be really tiring but it'll be worth it because the six of us had decided to head out for dinner after the clean up.

Luckily for the both of us, we were assigned to clean up our class booths and finally, we have something together instead of it just being one without the other. I don't know, it's just I haven't have anything with him today and I kinda miss hanging out. We used to be together all the time and it's just weird when we aren't.

"Myung take these!" I handed him a bunch of decorations for him to throw it in the recycling bin. His hands were already full but he was still standing there, waiting for more. I carefully placed them in his arms, trying not to let it fall. I could hardly see his face now as half of it was covered by the things to recycle. Once I was done stacking, I patted him on the back. "Okay, go!"

He then said something but I couldn't hear it because it was so muffled and he walked away with that pile of trash in his hands.

"Yah Yoojin! Making your boy do your work for you?" Jooyeon came next to me to tease me and I shot her a look.

"He's not my boy."

"Oh he might as well be." Jieun teased.

I gave them a glare and Jooyeon shrugged.

"I mean, he did take a really nice photo of you. Of all the people he could have chosen, he chose you." Jieun continued.

"As the brightest smile in the world." Jooyeon winked.

"Yah!" I took a piece of cardboard up and tried to hit the both of them but they ran away. I continued chasing after them, even though we were just running around in circles.

Given the non-athletic me, I started panting after awhile. "I can't do this guys. Let's stop." I gave up on trying to get them and the both of them came back willingly.

"And I'm back again!" I immediately raised the cardboard after they came back to the booth and they started running away again. We were running but we were also laughing about this situation.

"The whole world has seen the photo Yoojin! He's so sweet!" Jieun continued teasing me and I didn't want to give up. I had to get her so she would stop teasing me.

I was chasing after Jieun and Jooyeon when I noticed that Myungsoo was already on his way back from clearing some of the recyclables. But he wasn't alone. Krystal was next to him, talking to him. I don't know why but I felt myself wince at the sight. Just a moment ago he was comforting me and my insecurities and now he's with the prettiest girl in school.

Do I feel disappointed? Maybe just a little. I don't know. I mean, Krystal has indicated her interest since day one. They even went out on a date during the summer vacation. They might have something going on I suppose.

When they got back, Krystal was giving me an incomprehensible look. She must have seen Myungsoo's photo, if not she's not usually this hostile to me. Myungsoo gave me a smile and snapped me out of my daze.

"Any more recyclables?" He asked.

I stared at his perfect face for a short while. No doubt, he's really handsome. Krystal's type maybe.

"Jin?" He asked me once more.

"Y-yeah?"

Myungsoo laughed at me stuttering. "Are you too tired? I asked if there's any more recyclables."

I stared at the pile of recyclables I had sorted out when he was away and I went to grab them myself instead. "It's okay, this is the last pile. I'll do it myself." And then I walked away before he could even protest.

What is wrong with me? Krystal and Myungsoo paint a perfect picture so what am I thinking? I tried to push all the thoughts away and I threw the recyclables into this big recycling bin with a grunt.

"Whoa whoa, chill with it Nam's girlfriend." A voice came from behind and I turned to find one of the most annoying friends I've ever had. I guess we could count as friends since we got to know each other pretty well throughout the years in high school.

"I'm really tired today so please, save it." I shot back at him.

Dongwoon gave a smile and I stress, it's a smile. Not that usual smirk he gives me.

"Am I really tired or did you forget to take your medicine today?" I referred to him suddenly being nice to me. It was strange but I have a feeling it was a sincere smile.

"I don't know much about your love life besides Nam but seems like I wasn't wrong about lover boy and you." He winked.

"Huh?" I was confused. The only person he's referred to as 'lover boy' in front of me was Myungsoo. Ever since that day he'd saw Myungsoo and I at the nurse's office, he thought that we have something going on. I finally caught onto what he was saying. He must have seen the photo as well. Heck, everybody has probably seen it!

"It's not what you think it is!" I defended myself.

Dongwoon gave a shrug, "I'm a guy Yoojin." He said calmly, the first time or so I think, that he's ever called me by my name instead of 'Nam's girlfriend'. "I know what guys are thinking because I'm the same. It took me a year and two months for my girlfriend to finally say yes. You never could have imagined all that I did just to move her. If I was talented enough, I would have done the same as lover boy."

I was taken aback but his sudden seriousness. This is hardly a sight I would see from Dongwoon. Was he hinting that Myungsoo might actually like me? Is he crazy?

"We're just best friends." I argued, my voice coming out softer than I expected it to.

"Keep telling yourself that cover girl, some people might not think the same." He gave me one last wink before headed off back to the booths.

I wince at his new nickname for me. Just because I was in a photo for the carnival. Can't he call me by my name instead? I don't know what to make of the conversation that we just had. Was he hinting to me that Myungsoo might actually like me? But Myungsoo has Krystal too. And he wasn't really rejecting her advances? I sighed in frustration because my tired and tiny brain ain't got no energy for this confusing situation. I then returned to my class booth to find it all cleaned up and the other five were just waiting for me.

"What took you so long? I thought you only had to throw the recyclables." Myungsoo asked when I was in sight and I thought about Dongwoon's words. I didn't see Krystal around anymore so she must have already left.

"I… err… I met Dongwoon and… you know, we fight all the time so…"

"Gosh, remind me to teach that Son Dongwoon a lesson! He needs to stop bothering you." Woohyun said.

"Aniya! That's just our way of communicating." I quickly added. I didn't want Woohyun to go tackle Dongwoon down or anything. Not that he doesn't deserve it for teasing me in the past. But it was all in the past.

The six of us then went to this grilled restaurant to have dinner despite it already being slightly late. I was worried about Bomi because her parents were strict but she said she'd told them she'll be out with us and her parents were okay with it. Thank goodness.

Despite the confusing thoughts about Dongwoon's words, Myungsoo and I still got along pretty well because we laughed and talked and chatted as if nothing was wrong. Until Howon mentioned about the photo.

"Yah Jin, didn't know you could look so graceful too." Howon said, referring to the photo that Myungsoo had taken of me.

"Yah!" I whined because honestly, it was kind of embarrassing since everybody has seen it. They all know my face now. Gosh, this is so embarrassing.

"You’re great Jin, I'd agree with the title." Sunggyu said.

"No Gyu, you have the brightest smile." I said to him and handed him a piece of grilled meat. Sunggyu had the warmest smile. Especially when he's smiling freely without any troubles in the world. I wish that the others could see that moment as I did that time.

"Yah Myung, what made you want to put it out?" Woohyun asked, curious. My ears pricked up as well and I looked at Myungsoo who was sitting next to me. He stared back at me for a moment before realizing that the group was staring at him.

"I err…" Myungsoo couldn't find the words and I thought about what he'd said this afternoon. He'd called me beautiful and I felt myself blushing at the thought of that.

"Jin, are you blushing?" Howon caught it and he had pointed it out not only to me, but to everybody.

"Yah!" I screamed at the top of my lungs trying to hide my blush but my ears were red. The guys were laughing and they forgot about the subject as they watched me wrestle Howon.

Just like that, the topic was dropped and they didn't bring it back up.

After we were done, the six of us were really full. So full I thought my stomach was going to explode with all that I stuffed in me. Just then, Howon took up his can of drink and held it in the air.

"Here's to the last year of high school everybody." He said and we all held up our drinks. Don't worry, it's not alcoholic drinks or anything. It's just normal canned drinks.

"Here's to more years of being together!" Woohyun said.

"Here's to going through hardship together." Sunggyu added.

I then looked at Bomi. It was her turn.

"Here's to working hard together?" Bomi said shyly and I smiled at her. She had smiled back.

"Here's to more laughter." Myungsoo said calmly and Woohyun made fun of him for saying that so calmly when he's talking about laughter.

Finally, it was my turn. I held my canned drink closer to the others. "Here's to friendship." I concluded and we toasted each other with just canned drinks.

It's the last year of high school, so many things are going to change but I hope one thing that will never change is that we'd all stay together and keep the promises we had just made to each other. Here's to many many many more years with you guys.

--

When I finally got back home, it was really late and I was so glad there isn't any school tomorrow. The school had given us a day of break before the intensive studying period comes.

After I was done showering, I lay down in my bed and I saw that someone had texted me. It was from Myungsoo.

I meant every word Jin.

I was confused for a moment. What did he even mean? And then I thought back to the description of the photo today. Not only that, but his explanation as well.

Despite my confused mind, I somehow fell asleep with a huge grin on my face. Thank you, Kim Myungsoo.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 


THE PHOTOS ARE REVEALED!!!!!! Wew! What do you guys think about this chapter?! And Myungsoo's actions? What is going on in that mysterious head of Myungsoo's?????? Hahahaa I had a lot of fun writing this chapter and I hope it was an enjoyable read for you all too!!!! ^^ To those who were anticipating this chapter, I hope I got you guys excited after reading this chapter! hahahaha. 

Anyways, I wanted to apologize because I've been busy yesterday and so I couldn't put up this chapter! (well, good things are worth the wait aren't they?) I really really really love this chapter and the fact that Jin and Dongwoon have slowly come from 'enemies' to friends. Have a great week ahead everybody! I am so happy and honestly, slightly proud of this chapter (well, it may just be my fav chapter yet). Leave me a comment and as usual, I will reply to every single one of it! Thank you to my new suscribers for the suscribe and of course, my old suscribers too! ^^ Much love to you guys! <3


Ps. I had accidentally indicated something from my draft (which isn't suppose to be posted and so I've deleted it) and I hope for those that has seen it, I didn't spoil much for you. Anyways it's not an important detail and I think it doesn't really affect the outcome but I needed to delete it still because it wasn't supposed to be there HAHAHAHA.