Chapter 37

A Little Thing About Love

"Have you gotten all your materials? Your sketchbook, your brushes, your palette, what else? Oh right, your smock! Definitely don't want to forget that." Myungsoo nagged at me on the other line. 

 

I threw all the brushes that were on my workspace into a pouch and threw them in my bag. "You sound like my mom. And I don't want to be dating my mom." I . 

 

"Hey, you're the only person who can be late to a class that she's passionate about." He reminded me and I checked my watch for the time. 

 

"You're not making fun of me now. Nope, you can't do that. I was going to be on time but somebody had to call me to talk until late yesterday night!" I blamed him and ran downstairs with all my huge bag of art stuff and my drawing block. 

 

Yep, if you haven't already guessed it, I'm going to be late on my first day of class in the art academy. And it's all thanks to, you-know-who. 

 

"Mmmhmm that's right, blame it on me when you should be thanking me for giving you a morning call." Myungsoo said sarcastically and I pouted even though he can't see me. There's just no way of winning when it comes to words with him. I'm always at his mercy. Okay, so he wins this round. 

 

"Don't you have work to do? Why are you so free to talk to me?" I placed my phone right between my ears and my shoulder and I tried to put on my shoes before I rush out. My parents have already gone out for work so I'm the last one to leave the house. 

 

I could hear Myungsoo chuckle on the other end of the line and he spoke to someone else despite still being on the line. I couldn't hear it very well but it was a woman's voice. Ooh, is my dear Myungsoo attracting ladies over in the law firm too? 

 

After the voice was gone, Myungsoo returned to the call. "Sorry Jin, you were saying?" 

 

"Nothing. Was that a woman just now?" I couldn't help but be curious. Every now and then when Myungsoo attracts someone of the opposite gender, I like to about it. One thing I know for sure is that he wouldn't be swayed and I'm confident. Not that I'm confident about myself but I'm confident about him. He's not that kind of person. And besides, he'd reassured me time and time again that I have nothing to worry about. Well, I trust him. 

 

"For your information, that was my boss. The lawyer that wants her case notes filed as soon as possible. And besides, to answer your question earlier, we are all having a coffee break before the day starts. Better hurry if you want to make it on time for lesson." He nagged once more and I realised how I should probably be running right now. 

 

"Fine, I'll talk to you later, I gotta run!" 

 

"Run Jin, run." I heard Myungsoo chuckle once more before we hung up and I made a break for the bus stop. 

 

Luckily for me, I made it there just in time for the lesson to start. The art teacher raised an eyebrow at me when I stepped in because apparently I was the last one to arrive. I gave an apologetic smile and took the last empty seat that I could find. 

 

The art teacher had this fierce look in her eyes. She's like the female version of Mr Choi, or maybe just like Miss Han, after she broke up with her boyfriend. I hope I didn't get on her bad side today. It's my talent to get on teacher's bad sides. 

 

"Well, now that everyone's here. We can finally begin. My name is Jung Sooae but you all can call me Mrs Jung." She introduced herself formally and  clapped her hands as she spoke. She looked like she was in her fourties, the same age as my mom and her voice gave me the chills. It was sharp and clear and it was those you never want to hear calling our your name because it just seems like you've done something wrong. And the fact that she's a Jung too doesn't help me to stop associating her with my mom. Gosh, my mom can send chills down my back when she calls for me too. It just depends on what she wants. Anyways, even though Mrs Jung looked like she was in her fourties, she dressed totally differently. She had on a sophisticated outfit and it gave her a look of intelligent. One look and you can tell she's not an easy person to fool. She had thick make up on as well that made you wonder if she's not only an artist but also a makeup artist. Honestly, the difference between the two is huge. 

 

I looked around and everybody seemed to be eager to start the art class. Nobody seemed familiar so I guess I have to start making friends all over again. Some of them even looked like they've known each other before the class and I guess it's because they've been coming here for a long time hence they know each other. Great, now I'm the oddball and I have to find new friends. 

 

"We shall begin this week by the simplest of them all. I want you to draw. Draw whatever you like and whatever you want. I want to see where everybody's standards are at before I decide the pace of this class and future lesson materials. Go on, you have all the time you need to give me sketches and I will be going around to assess you." 

 

Everybody then sat up straighter because of the word "assess". 

 

Mrs Jung smiled creepily at the class, "don't worry my dears. It's not a formal assessment or anything. I just want to know what your level is and what I can do to help you improve. That's the reason why you're all here aren't you?" 

 

"Neh." The class said uniformly and she gave us a signal to start. Everybody sprang into action mode and began taking their places. Some people, like me, preferred to draw sketches on normal tables but some prefer the portrait stands. Everybody was buzzing to life and I realised that actually, most of them already know each other. Did I miss something at the start? Oh whatever, I shall just do my own drawing then. 

 

I was just about to start on my sketch when somebody came and sat next to me. I stared at the person sitting next to me and she gave me a wide smile. 

 

"Name's Park Yoonmi." She extended her hand with a smile on her face and I shook it politely. 

 

"Jung Yoojin." I introduced myself. 

 

"It seems like everybody already knows everybody and we're the odd ones out so we might as well get acquainted." She smiled at me. She had dazzling bright eyes and soft brown curls than fall past her shoulders. I guess you could say that, she's pretty. 

 

After that brief introduction, the both of us then worked in peace without talking much because it was just awkward. We were both new in the class and the fact that she was outgoing wasn't really helping. I mean, she tried to strike out conversations but I probably didn't give her the response she'd wanted. I was too busy focusing on my drawing instead of talking to her and after awhile, I think she got the hint and she kept quiet. 

 

I was drawing a scenery from my memory. It was that beautiful Busan temple by the seaside. That view was still etched deeply in my mind and I can never forget that majestic scene in front of me. It was also the only thing that took Sunggyu's pain away from him. How powerful is that? 

 

It wasn't before long when I felt someone staring from the side. I turned to look and I found that it wasn't Yoonmi who was staring, it was Mrs Jung. My heart immediately gripped with fear because she was staring at my piece intensely with her hands to her back and she never made a sound. 

 

She squinted her eyes as though she couldn't see my drawing from where she was standing and then she looked me straight in the eye. "What's your name?"

 

I almost gasped at her suddenly question but I replied her nonetheless, trying my best to sound confident. 

 

"J-Jung Yoojin." Dammit, why did I stutter! 

 

"Alright, continue." She said and then she just walked away. After she turned away, I managed to heave out a sigh of relief. This feels like another Mr Choi once more. But the fact that Mr Choi had actually liked me as a student and not hated me had made everything in high school seem much better. 

 

"Isn't she scary?" I turned to Yoonmi to try and talk to her. Maybe we should get closer to each other. But before Yoonmi could even reply, someone else turned around and replied me instead. 

 

"Oh my gosh, she totally is. But from why I've heard, she's the best in this academy. Everybody wants to sign up to be in her class but I don't know why this time they just randomly placed an art teacher. You used to be able to choose your mentor you know, and her classes were always fully booked. I guess you can say we're lucky for this course!" The girl went on and on. She had a strong accent that I could tell she wasn't from Seoul and she had straight hair, with bangs they covered almost half her face. Okay, I'm just kidding, her bangs were so long they were touching her eyes, so I wondered if she could really see properly. 

 

"By the way, my name is Jung Eunji." 

 

"Jung Yoojin." I introduced myself once more. Somehow it seems like I'm able to click with her more than Yoonmi. 

 

"Park Yoonmi." Yoonmi introduced herself as well and Eunji smiled. 

 

"By the way, I didn't meant to come off as weird or anything." Eunji chuckled and her eyes turned into a very nice eye smile. "So how long have you guys been here?" She asked the both of us. 

 

"Err… I just started." I said honestly. 

 

"Me too." Yoonmi nodded in agreement. 

 

"Ah, I see. I've been here for almost half a year now and I decided to join a summer class instead of a regular class because I wanted to work too." Eunji said brightly. She seems like a nice girl. 

 

After that short conversation of ours, the three of us continued on our sketches throughout the class. Mrs Jung would stop us occasionally to show some other student's work and comment on the things that the student did well. Even as she praised the student, her voice still sounds scary to me. I can't imagine if she were to ever criticize my work. I think I'd cry. But luckily, she never criticize anybody's work. Which is surprising, seeing as how strict she looked. One would think she would criticize and nitpick at every single detail but she didn't. 

 

The class soon ended and Yoonmi beside me was packing up at an incredible speed. "There's somewhere else I need to be now, see you guys next lesson!" And she rushed off. 

 

"I'm heading out for lunch with my friends, want to join us?" Eunji pointed in her friends’ direction who were just next to her but I declined politely. I have to go to work now. First day of work and I can say I'm pretty excited. 

 

I was holding my drawing block and some sketches in my hand as I walked down the corridor or the art academy. This place looks amazing and I feel absolutely hyped up to come here everyday. Art pieces drawn by students were hung on the wall and the whole place was colorful. The whole place just seemed like an art project itself. 

 

I was walking down the nearly empty corridor alone, I guess many people have already left, when suddenly I heard some footsteps behind me and without a warning, someone knocked into me from the back. That impact caused me to drop all my stuff and so my sketches were all flying around the floor. 

 

I gasped and immediately went down to pick up my stuff and I looked up to see who the culprit was but I couldn't really see his face. He had bleached blonde hair and he wore a mask on his face. He stared at me without a word and his eyes were strangely dreamy. It was like if you'd stare too long, you'll get lost in his eyes. But that is not the point. Here I am, in the corridor with my stuff all over the floor and this guy that knocked into me just stared at me? He looked past me as if seeing if there was anybody else and I turned around to see what he was looking at. There was nobody. 

 

Suddenly, he bent down and he helped me picked up my stuff as well. I was right about to shout at him for knocking my stuff over and not helping me but he did. Okay, I'm not going to shout at him. I tried to suppress the anger within and picked up my own stuff. 

 

"Thanks." I said to him once we were doing picking up my sketches but he just looked at me without saying a word. He never said anything through that black mask and he never even apologize. He just gave me a nod and then he rushed off. What a strange guy. 

 

I then quickly made my way over to the cafe that was near the academy to report on my first day at work. The cafe wasn't big, it was pretty small and the crowd wasn't exactly huge so I guess it should be fine for the part timers to manage. I should be fine on the first day right? 

 

When I stepped in, I was greeted by the fresh scent of coffee. Mmmmm bitter smelling coffee but it smells so good. 

 

"Ah! Jung Yoojin!" The manager welcomed me with open arms and I do mean open arms. I was thinking if I should return the hug or something when suddenly some guy popped out from nowhere and intercepted the manager. 

 

"So you're the new girl!" He smiled at me and I noticed that he had a set of perfectly straight teeth and he was tall. Gosh, really tall like a giant. He had big brown eyes and brown hair to match with that. I must say, he is handsome. Not as handsome as Myungsoo though but he is taller. He stuck his hand out, wanting to give a handshake. "Nice to meet you, I'm—"

 

"Move it, giant." Another girl came and pushed him to the side. She smiled sweetly at me and cleaned her hands on her barista apron before extending it out. "Lee Seoyong." She introduced herself and I shook her hand. 

 

"Jung Yoojin." I said to her. She had big brown eyes too, with her hair messily tied in a low ponytail. She's not those girls that you would call pretty at first sight but she was pleasant looking. Somehow she had the pure beauty, those kind that the more you see, the prettier she gets. If I were a boy, I would have been struck by her innocence. Somehow, this cafe hires good looking people huh. Why did they even hire me then? 

 

Anyways, after Seoyong introduced herself, the tall handsome guy nudged Seoyoung away with his hips and she almost crashed onto the nearby table. I gasped but the guy didn't seem to be fazed by Seoyong's irritated look. "I'm Park Chanyeol." He smiled, showing those perfect pearly whites. 

 

After Chanyeol introduced himself and I shook his hand, the manager then cleared his throat and Chanyeol moved aside. He was so tall that by just standing in front of the manager, he'd totally blocked him off. 

 

"Manager Kim." He extended his hand and I shook it politely. "Okay, the both of you, get back to work. There's a customer waiting to be served and coffees waiting to be made!" 

 

Seoyong then immediately ran back as fast as she could. "I call dips on coffee making!" She announced and ran to the coffee making station. 

 

"Damn!" Chanyeol whined and he slowly made his way to the cashier. I swear I could hear him say "it's your fourth time this week" as he walked away. 

 

Manager Kim began by giving me a uniform to change into. It was a simple white tee and I had worn my black jeans. The barista apron was the same as Seoyong's and Chanyeol's, black in colour and a name tag on it. I tied my hair into a ponytail and got ready for the first day of work. Manager Kim explained to me how there's usually one chef in the kitchen and since our cafe is small, there's no point hiring another so sometimes he would help out as well. 

 

Chanyeol had been here the longest. He started working here when he was still in high school and has stayed ever since. According to manager Kim, he's a year my senior so he's in university and now is his winter break. Same goes for Seoyong, she's in university as well. Manager Kim then went on to explain how there are other part timers as well but they fill the weekend shifts when the three of us has our breaks. 

 

Oh and I haven't mention this have I? Manager Kim is the owner of this cafe and he doesn't even look old. He's in his mid thirties tops. He is tall, just not as tall as Chanyeol. I'm really looking forward to working here already because the environment seemed friendly and the people are friendly too. I looked over to the counter to see Seoyong scolding Chanyeol for interfering with her coffee making. 

 

"Don't mind them. They're always bickering. Even in front of the customers. But they're good help." Manager Kim said and I smiled. "We'll start off light today. I'll get Chanyeol to teach you with the taking of orders and then slowly as time passes, you'll get to learn how to make some wonderful coffee." 

 

With that said, manager Kim then threw me with Chanyeol and he went out to the kitchen to help the chef with brunch orders. 

 

"So!" Chanyeol started off so loud that some of the customers turned to look at him. "New girl huh? How old are you?"

 

"Oh, I'm eighteen this year." 

 

"Fresh out of high school! I like that." He said and he gave me a wink. "I'm a year older than you so don't hesitate to call me oppa." 

 

I was a little taken aback by his straightforwardness but before I could even say a thing, this time Seoyong used her hips to push him away. "Or, you don't have to and you can just call me unnie." She smiled at me sweetly before giving Chanyeol one strong glare and went back to making her coffee. 

 

I laughed at their interaction because they look exactly like how best friends would fight. 

 

"Okay, last option for you. Just ignore her." Chanyeol made a face behind Seoyong's back. "I've worked here longer than her yet she acts like she's the boss of me. She started out just like you, fresh out of high school." 

 

After the two were done bickering, Chanyeol finally showed me how to properly work the cashier and I must say, it's not easy. I also see why manager Kim kept him around as he does his work diligently, even though he goofs around a lot and he likes to throw snarky remarks at the manager himself. Well, I caught the two of them bickering at one point in time when the cafe was emptier and manager Kim came to clear the tables. Anyways, as I was saying, Chanyeol is a good worker. He's polite and friendly to the customers and I guess his handsome face does give the cafe a little bit more reputation. 

 

Half my shift has passed and I've already learned how to operate the cashier, got the hang of their ordering system, or there sort of and helped with the clearing of tables. This job doesn't seem so bad. 

 

Seoyong unnie was in charge of making the coffee and delivering the food to the customers. Something Chanyeol is still not happy about. 

 

"So Yoojin, you think you can handle this on your own now?" He said as he gestured to the cashier post. 

 

"Eh?" It's my first day here. I'm getting the hang of it but not quite there yet. "I…" 

 

"You'll be fine!" He patted me on the back like old friends do and smiled. "I'll be right here, watching you. Don't worry." He leaned back against the counter behind me and signalled for me to serve the customer that was walking in. 

 

I gulped nervously as the customer came closer and closer. You can do this on your own Jin!

 

-- 

 

"See! You've got it! You're a natural. So now I can just leave the order taking post to you and I'll go practice my latte art." Chanyeol announced but Seoyong cut him short. 

 

"No. You'll go clear the tables. Shoo!" She chased him away with a cup of hot coffee that she'd just made for a customer. Chanyeol glared at her with his big eyes and he took the towel from the corner of the sink. 

 

"Fine! But I get to do the coffees tomorrow! Dips on that!" And he walked away with a pout on his face. 

 

Seoyong scowled at him and then she headed to hand the takeaway coffee to the customer waiting. 

 

"He's been working here longer than I did and his latte art is perfect. There's nothing else he needs to practice but I still got a long way to go. Can't he just give me the practice?" Seoyong unnie complained to me as she glanced at Chanyeol. 

 

I could only laugh because their friendship really reminds me of my very own, with a certain boy that still acts like one until today. 

 

Hours passed and the cafe got busier when dinner time got closer. I know, it's not exactly a place for dinner but we do have hot food and somehow people were coming in continuously. I carried on with taking orders and Chanyeol was kind enough to help me whenever I face any sort of trouble. 

 

Almost every other girl that comes in immediately set her eyes on Chanyeol and I laughed to myself in my head because he is good looking. I guess that's why manager Kim kept him around for so long. Okay, I'm joking but seriously, he's tall and handsome. Girls dig it. 

 

Eventually, it got late and it was time to close up the shop. I can't wait for my next day of work now because it has been a fun and fruitful day. There's so much more to learn and I am so excited to learn. I guess this is one of the reasons why Sunggyu wanted to work in the clinic rather than other jobs. Being in an environment that you like would totally make you feel much better and excited for work. It's better than dreading work everyday of the week. Well, what do I know? I've only worked for a day. 

 

Anyways, the chef left once the kitchen was closed and the four of us cleaned up the area. I was tasked with sweeping the floor, Chanyeol had to wash the cups and plates, Seoyong was in charge of cleaning the coffee makers and manager Kim was calculating the revenue for the day. 

 

It was now late and dark and even though I did have my dinner earlier, I felt my stomach growl and I am now hungry again. Way to go stomach. 

 

"Good job everybody! And grats on surviving your first day. I hope these two didn't scare you off or anything." Manager Kim pointed to Chanyeol and Seoyong. 

 

"Ouch!" Chanyeol faked hurt. "We are nice people! Why would we scare Yoojin away?" 

 

Seoyong just smacked the back of his head and she shook her head. "I just hope he didn't scare you off." She pointed to Chanyeol and I laughed. 

 

"Nobody's scaring me off. I had a great day." I reassured them. Even though I was feeling tired because of this long day, I was excited to come back to work tomorrow. 

 

"Alright, I'll see you guys tomorrow then! Let's go!" Manager Kim led the way and we all exited the cafe. As manager Kim locked up the place, I noticed someone standing outside in the dark. That silhouette looked familiar and my face brightened up as I saw recognized who it was. 

 

"Whoa, who's that standing there out in the dark?" Chanyeol pointed out and he noticed the presence of someone else too. 

 

"Omo, I got a shock." Seoyong said but she didn't sound shocked at all. 

 

That silhouette walked towards us and I could hear Chanyeol freak out a bit until his face came into the light. 

 

He smiled at me sweetly and I smiled back at him. "Ready to go?" 

 

"How long have you been standing out there? In the cold as well!" I lightly hit him because it made me feel bad that he had to wait out there in the cold for me. 

 

"Wait, you know this man? Okay good, I thought we were going to be robbed or something!" Chanyeol said dramatically and both Myungsoo and I stared at him. 

 

Instinctively, I put my arms around Myungsoo's waist and introduced him to my fellow colleagues. "He's Kim Myungsoo, my boyfriend." I felt a surge of pride in me as I introduced Myungsoo as my boyfriend. This is the first time I had to introduce him to anyone else as my boyfriend and albeit it seemed a little weird, I actually felt proud. And of course, extremely happy. The fact that I just said the words 'my boyfriend' and 'Myungsoo' in one sentence got me giggling like a little girl on the inside. "Myungsoo, meet Chanyeol, Seoyong unnie and manager Kim. Guys, meet Myungsoo."  

 

"Yah, why does she get to be called unnie but I don't get to be called oppa?" That was the only thing Chanyeol had said after the introduction and Seoyong looked like she almost wanted to punch his face. 

 

"Nice to meet you Kim Myungsoo. It's so sweet of you pick up Yoojin after work. It is late and dark after all." Seoyong unnie shook Myungsoo's hand she then elbowed Chanyeol. "He's glad to meet you too, he just needs to get over the whole 'oppa' thing first. Well then, we'll get going. See you tomorrow Yoojin." Seoyong unnie smiled and dragged Chanyeol away before he could say even more about the whole 'not calling him oppa' incident. 

 

Manager Kim gave Myungsoo a nod and then he signed. "Ah, young love. How nice it must be." He gave me a wink and I was taken aback. Manager Kim seemed a little mysterious but then he didn't give off bad vibes. Just mysterious, in a good way. "Anyways, get home safely, I'll see you tomorrow Yoojin." 

 

After everybody left, it was just the two of us alone and Myungsoo took my hand in his. "Thought it'll be nice to surprise you after your first day at work." He said as we walked hand in hand, back home. 

 

"You don't have to you know, it's already late and you ended your work ages ago!" I looked at Myungsoo, still in his formal wear and his backpack that he brings in for his internship. It just meant that he didn't go home and he was out all night. 

 

"It's fine, I just went to do some reading in the library until they close."

 

"Aren't you cold?" I held his hands up, seeing as how he stood in the cold waiting for me. 

 

Myungsoo merely shook his head lightly and gave me a warm smile. I was just about to nag at him for waiting in the cold when my stomach growled again. Louder this time. Myungsoo gave me a stare and he looked like he was about to laugh but he was just holding it back. 

 

Seconds later, he couldn't take it anymore and he let out a low chuckle. 

 

"Yah!" I scolded him. "Don't you dare laugh!" I raised my hand, threatening to hit him for laughing at me and he let go of our intertwined hands to protect himself. Myungsoo couldn't say anything because he was too busy laughing at me. "Yah! Kim Myungsoo!" I ran up to him and he ran away from my evil crutches. Just like that, we were chasing each other around in the dark with my stomach still hungry. Or more like I was chasing him around and he looked too happy to even say a word. Oh, Kim Myungsoo, you're so dead! 

 

-- 

 

"Eat slowly, you're going to get indigestion from the way you inhale your ramen!" Myungsoo scolded me and he handed me a cup of water. As much as I love ramen, I at handling spicy food so I had to constantly drink water. Anyways, Myungsoo was totally treating me like Myungho. I'm not a five year old kid, I'm eighteen already. 

 

I glared at him and I continued eating because I was so hungry. Whenever I ran out of water, Myungsoo would pour me another glass and he kept feeding me water every now and then. 

 

"So… your coworkers seem nice. That tall guy was handsome." Myungsoo said and I choked on my noodles when he said Chanyeol was handsome. Myungsoo immediately gave me my water to drink and he handed me tissues. 

 

Once I composed myself, I looked at him seriously. "Are you… jealous?"

 

Myungsoo pulled a straight face and gave a shrug. "Why should I be?" 

 

I stared at him, waiting for him to break but he didn't. Well well, look who has overflowing confidence. 

 

"He's kinda funny." I tried to make him jealous but I don't think it's working. Myungsoo just stared at me with a thin smile on his lips. 

 

"Okay." He said softly. 

 

"And he's handsome." 

 

"Okay." 

 

I eyed him once more and he just stared back at me. "You're no fun." I pouted and continued eating my ramen, only to hear him chuckle in front of me. 

 

"Yah, if I'm jealous, do you think I'll be able to sit here and just watch you stuff yourself?" 

 

"We'll see when that happens!" I stuck out my tongue and taunted him. 

 

"Oh, I will let you know when that happens." He said, sounding so confident that he will never be jealous of other guys around me and I glared at him. Sometimes I wonder why I'm attracted to this guy. He's a devil in the making. I love how even thought we're in a relationship now, nothing has changed much between us. We still have deep conversations, chat like we normally do and have childish fights like we normally do. All with the addition of him showering me with love once in awhile. And by love I mean, ahem, kisses, ahem. 

 

Once I was done, Myungsoo then paid for my meal even though I insisted that I wanted to pay but he was not taking no for an answer. So he paid for my ramen and then we walked hand in hand back home. He started telling me about his day in the office and how he's bored with filing papers and papers but if he filed them well, he gets to go to court with the lawyers when they have trials. Not that he gets to be part of it, but more so of sitting in the audience. Basically he gets to follow a lawyer around and he seems pretty happy with that. He says it makes all the filing seem worth it but I just stared at him like he was crazy. 

 

"What about you? How's your day in the academy?" He asked. 

 

"Oh! I actually made friends today! Or I think we can be considered friends… I don't know." So I started telling him about Yoonmi, Eunji and even the scary Mrs Jung. "I swear, she's like the male version of Mr Choi oh gosh, I can never have a teacher that likes me for once can I?" Well, technically Mr Choi did like me as a student but nobody has to know that. I find it kind of embarrassing to mention it out. 

 

"'Maybe when she sees your art pieces, she'll like you?" Myungsoo suggested. 

 

I shook my head. "Aniya, the other students all seem like they know each other so I guess they must have had lessons for a long time. I can't compare to them. She's going to hate me." I sighed. Mrs Jung is one creepy teacher. Remind me to never be late to her lessons. 

 

"Jin, just because you started art school late, it doesn't make you less of an artist as they are. You've been drawing for a long time right? Who knows maybe you're even better than them. That doesn't mean you're not as good. Starting at five or starting at fifteen, it's all the same. You're still an artist." 

 

I stopped walking and looked at my boyfriend's face. I then use my hands to cup his cheeks and gave the a light squeeze. 

 

"Yah," he scolded me for it but I didn't care. 

 

I pouted and gave a really touched look. Not because I was pretending or anything but I was genuinely touched. "Myung, you're going to be an extremely good prosecutor, you know that? How is it everything you say seem so convincing?" 

 

Myungsoo peeled my hands off his cheeks and he pinched my cheeks now. "I'm not even a prosecutor yet, so don't jinx it." He gave me a wink and then walked ahead of me. 

 

My jaw dropped as I stared at my cocky boyfriend walking further ahead of me. 

 

Myungsoo then turned around and waved for me to catch up. "Pali! It's getting late!" I ran up to him with a smile on my face and snuggled close to him as we walked back. I love his warmth around me, so much. 

 

When we arrived at my home, Myungsoo insisted that he see me enter the house before he left and I made sure to get him to text me once he's back safely. Guys have to worry too when they're out at night alright? You just never know what might happen. 

 

Just as I stepped in, I saw my mom waiting on the couch and she was half asleep. "Omma!" I instantly felt bad because it's late now and she couldn't have been waiting for me… could she? 

 

"Oh, Jin-ah, you're back." 

 

Oh no, she did. 

 

"Omma, why are you here and not sleeping?" I went to sit next to her and pulled her into a hug. 

 

"It was your first day of work and you get off so late, I just got worried." She ran her fingers through my now messy hair and I snuggled closer. 

 

"I'm fine omma. I only came home late because I was so hungry after work I had to go grab something to eat." 

 

"Alone? So late at night?" She pulled back and gave me a worried look. 

 

I sat up straight. "Aniya! I was with Myung." And then I realized what I had just said. "I mean… I met him after work so we decided to go have some ramen." 

 

My mom stared at me like she didn't believe a word I just said. "You met him so late at night? What would he be doing out so late at night?" 

 

"Err… he err… umm…" I was at a loss for words. Why did my mom have to test me like this? Worst of all, I have been told I'm a bad liar so I guess if I were to lie, my mom could probably tell? Or maybe I should just tell her the truth? How do people do this? How to people actually break the news of them dating to other people? Where do you start from? How do you even begin? 

 

My mom just stared at me even more as I remained silent and I decided to be brave and reply her. 

 

"Omma… promise me you won't freak out or anything." I said carefully and she nodded without a giving it a second thought. 

 

"Well, Myung and I are dating." 

 

There! I said it! I said it! I searched my mom's face for any sort of expression or whatsoever but nothing came on her face. She wasn't even shocked. She just had a calm expression and then she smiled. Eh? 

 

"Omma… what's with your smile?" This is strange. Shouldn't her first reaction be shocked or surprise? Wait, don't tell me she knows something! "Omma! You… you knew?" I asked cautiously. 

 

My mom's smile got even wider. "Of course I knew, you silly girl! He's always coming over, just the both of you hanging out. And not to mention, he sends you home all the time. God knows what happened behind those doors." She pointed to the front door and I thought of all the moment Myungsoo and I shared after he'd sent me home. Gosh, this is so embarrassing! 

 

"Omma! How could you not say anything!" 

 

"Sweetie, how could I just say it? You two look like you're enjoying your secret rendezvous. Looks like my patience paid off anyways, you're telling me the truth yourself!" 

 

I smiled at my mother. Oh, she's such a wise woman, I love her so much. "So I guess, you're happy for us?"  I leaned in once more and snuggled closer to my mom. 

 

She wrapped her arms around me, as if cuddling a big baby. "Of course. You know Jin, I always thought you'd end up with one of those guys but I never thought it'll be Myungsoo." 

 

"Who did you think it would be?" 

 

"To be honest, I thought it'll be Howon. The both of you are so close and he comes to find you so often." 

 

I paused. Wait a minute…

 

"You think I wouldn't know? They both of you don't exactly talk softly you know. I don't know how he does it but somehow, he's always in your room." 

 

I shuddered. My mom knew. So she knew it all along?! And didn't say a thing?! I was still too shocked to even say a word. 

 

"So I always thought you'd end up with him. It seems like the both of you shared some sort of a special connection." 

 

I softened at my mother's expression. I guess, we did. Wait, we do. Howon will always be that special someone to me, even if Myungsoo is my boyfriend now. Just like the first love that people claim you will never forget, Howon has that special place in my heart. Be it a friend or ex-crush. 

 

I know, it may seem as though it's not fair to Myungsoo as Howon has such an important presence in my life, but I really hope Myungsoo doesn't take it the wrong way. And I know he wouldn't. He was there with me when I confided in him with my feelings for Howon so he should know that Howon will always have that special place in my heart. And it doesn't always mean in a romantic way. It's just as a friend, he means a lot to me. 

 

My mother and I spent the next hour or so, just talking late into the night about boys and relationships and I must say, I am so happy that my mom is giving me her support for my relationship with Myungsoo. I know my mom sure loves him so there's nothing she should even worry about. If she wants to worry, she'll have to worry about me not being good enough for him. Wait, scratch that, Myungsoo won't be happy knowing I'm undermining myself again. He always makes sure to let me know how wonderful he thinks I am and I appreciate him for that. Girls and our overly insecure self. Sigh. 

 

"I will always be there to remind you how wonderful you are." Myungsoo would always say and I would lightly hit him from saying such cheesy words but of course, I had always secretly enjoyed it. 

 

-- 

 

The next day came by real quick after a night of heartfelt conversations with my mom and I was getting ready to go to work again today. Myungsoo was already reporting to work but his usual morning routine meant that he had some spare time to talk before he has to start this filings again. 

 

"Don't you ever get bored filing?" I asked as I got ready my breakfast. 

 

"Nah, it's pretty interesting when I get to read the cases." Myungsoo said and I could hear him take a sip of his drink and some background voices. He must be in the pantry now. 

 

"Alright, I'll talk to you later, gotta go now!" 

 

"Okay, I'll see you later." He said and I could tell he was smiling behind those words. 

 

"Yah, it's going to be so late, I don't want you to tire yourself. Go home and rest." I bagged at him. Maybe I'm starting to become a nagger. Oh no, I am aren't I? 

 

There were some female voices talking to him and he was replying them with "neh" before he got back to me. "I'll be fine. Just wait for me okay?" 

 

"Myung!" I whined. It is already tough as it is that he has to report to work so early and now he's going back late because of me.

 

"Okay, bye!" He immediately replied and then hang up before I could reply. So sneaky of him! Somehow he always manage to get himself out of situations. He always does. 

 

Anyways, so I got to work on time today and I have shifts with Seoyong and Chanyeol again. I was the second one there as Chanyeol was the first. Given his usual flippant attitude, Chanyeol is actually pretty diligent. He came early and cleaned everything that needs to be cleaned. 

 

"Oh, Chanyeol oppa!" I said as I entered the empty cafe. I decided to just humour him and all him oppa since he is older than me anyways. I was wondering how did he enter the cafe since manager Kim isn't here yet. 

 

"Finally calling me oppa? I like you so much more already." He gave me a look as he was cleaning the empty tables. "Get a cloth and clean those tables over there then!" 

 

Well, he sure is diligent isn't he? 

 

"How did you get in?" I asked, not being able to hide my curiosity. 

 

He gave me a sinister smile and I almost had goosebumps on my arms. "I broke in."

 

"Eh?!" 

 

"Chill girl, don't look so shocked." He laughed a hearty laugh. "Kim sajang gave me the keys to the place about a year ago. I guess you can say he trusts me." Chanyeol gave a shrug. 

 

I nodded in acknowledgement. So that's how he got in so early. I guess that's just how much manager Kim trust him. 

 

"Oh ya, Seoyong will be coming in late today. She's got to take her younger brother to the doctors." He told me. 

 

"Okay." I never knew Seoyong had a younger sibling. Then again, I've only known them for a day. 

 

I was busy cleaning the tables and Chanyeol told me that he'd be in charge of the coffees today since Seoyong is coming in late, and that I was in charge of taking orders. If we have some time, he'd get my started on the coffee making. 

 

Just about ten minutes before the cafe opens, manager Kim and the chef came strolling in. 

 

"Let's get ready to start a new day my lovelies!" Manager Kim said enthusiastically and Chanyeol snorted. I just laughed at Chanyeol because his face was all cringed up. 

 

"I say, let's get ready for a day where the customers are bedazzled by Park Chanyeol's roasted coffee." He extended his arms dramatically and closed his eyes, as if he was taking in the compliments from his non-existent audience. 

 

Manager Kim couldn't take him anymore and threw him a cloth, which landed directly at his face and I couldn't help but laugh harder. 

 

"Yah yah Jung Yoojin, don't you dare laugh!" Chanyeol scolded me but I continued laughing. And that was how our day started. 

 

-- 

 

It was around noon that Seoyong finally came in and she looked like a mess. Her hair was in a mess and she was carrying her stuff in both hands. 

 

"Sorry I'm late! Seojun fell sick again but he's resting now." Seoyong came in and tied her hair in a messy bun. 

 

"You sure you're okay? If not you can go back, I'm sure we can manage here." Manager Kim said. The cafe wasn't that busy anyways and we managed ourselves before she arrived. 

 

Seoyong took a deep breath. "I'm fine. I just… I'm fine." She forced out a smile and wore her apron, getting ready for work. 

 

Before Seoyong could even touch a coffee maker, Chanyeol stopped her and grabbed her hand. "Are you sure? You look worried. I think you should go back and keep him company. He'll want to have his sister around when he wakes up." 

 

Seoyong stopped for a moment and her face froze. I could tell from her face, that worried look that I was all too familiar with. She looked like she was about to break down any moment. 

 

"Go back, keep him company." Chanyeol's voice softened and he looked serious, for once. 

 

"Yeah, we'll be fine here." Manager Kim added and Seoyong turned to look at him. 

 

Then her eyes laid on me and I gave her a reassuring smile. 

 

"Thanks guys." She said softly and she removed her apron. As fast as she came in, she left swiftly, back home to her brother. 

 

After she left, I wanted to ask Chanyeol about Seoyong but then the customers kept coming in so I decided to put that aside for now. 

 

It was around three in the afternoon that the crowd was lesser and it was mainly just students from the art academy. Chanyeol kept his promise and taught me the basics of coffee then. He explained to me the differences between a flat white, latte, cappuccino, mocha and etc. 

 

"Chanyeol oppa," I asked him casually while he was steaming the milk, showing me his awesome skills. "Seoyong unnie.." I didn't know how to continue but I wanted to know more about Seoyong. 

 

After Chanyeol was done with his latte, he handed me that cup of coffee and cleaned his hands with a cloth. "I know what you're going to ask." He stared at me with those huge eyes and I froze. "It's about Seoyong’s situation right?" 

 

I nodded. 

 

Chanyeol gave a smirk. "Well well, even though I've only known her for a year, I must say, I know almost everything that you need to know about Lee Seoyong. But I know what you're most curious about." He leaned in closer to me and I bent back. 

 

Chanyeol then stood back up straight and smiled innocently at me. His big eyes aren't really helping. "Seoyong had a tough life." Chanyeol now leaned against the counter. "Her parents left when she was young and she was left to fend for herself and her brother. They were in an orphanage and by the time she was eighteen, she took her brother and left." 

 

Chanyeol stared at me for a reaction and I listened attentively. "Her brother is five years younger but he's often sick. Which explains why she's so worried. He has some condition, I'm not sure what but any infection could cost him his life. Seoyong's never had a day of peace in her life, her whole life is revolved around her sick brother. That's the life of Lee Seoyong." 

 

I looked at Chanyeol with an empathetic expression, feeling so sorry for Seoyong. She seemed like such a nice person and yet the things that she has met with in life…

 

"Awww come on, don't give me that expression. I didn't tell you that to feel sorry for her. She doesn't like it when people give that expression too so don't do that in front of her okay? Seoyong's a strong girl. She's been that way since she was young, caring for her brother and all. Treat her just the same as you would treat anybody else and she'll appreciate it." Chanyeol said with a playful smile on his face. It was as though I could tell he was planning on some sort of prank on Seoyong. 

 

I nodded at his words and agreed with him. It sounded like Sunggyu's story all over again. Sunggyu didn't want people to treat him differently hence he didn't want to tell anyone about his situation and I guess that's fair enough. People would have treated him differently wouldn't they? 

 

For the rest of the day, Chanyeol, manager Kim and I worked together and we managed pretty well. I was proud of myself for this day because not only am I getting used to the cashiering and ordering, I managed to make a cup of coffee as well. I wouldn't say it's good but it seems pretty decent. 

 

Time passed and it was getting closer to the closing time. I kept looking out the window to check for Myungsoo because he said he would be coming after my work and I didn't want him to wait outside in the cold again. He should be able to sit inside and wait till I was done. It was only until when we were really getting ready to close that I got really busy and hence I stopped looking outside for signs of my boyfriend. 

 

We delegated tasks and managed to close just on time despite lacking a pair of hands. When I stepped out of the cafe, I saw that familiar figure that I was awaiting all night long. I gave him a bright smile and he walked up to me. 

 

"Myung!" I put an arm around his waist and he put an arm around my shoulders. 

 

"Alright, I take that as my cue to leave." Chanyeol raised his hands, as if to surrender to me. "I'll see you tomorrow kiddo." He then ruffled my hair and gave me a wink, which I'm pretty sure Myungsoo tensed up at that considering how his hands tightened around my shoulder. Manager Kim and the chef both waved goodbye and I walked back with Myungsoo. 

 

"What's with that guy?" Myungsoo said, all a little too defensive. 

 

"Chanyeol oppa?" I tried to spite him again, just to see his reaction. 

 

"Oppa?! Since when do you call him oppa? Wasn't it just yesterday you didn't want to call him oppa?" Myungsoo retaliated and I laughed. I just love seeing him so flustered like that. 

 

"I'm kidding." I lightly hit him on the chest as we walked to the bus stop. "We bonded today, I guess you can say that." 

 

Myungsoo didn't say anything but he only nodded. He dropped the topic as we waited for the night bus and suddenly he pulled something out from his bag pack. I must say, Myungsoo's office fashion is pretty good. He was wearing a dress shirt, formal pants and carrying a really stylish bag pack. 

 

"For you." He handed me a box that looked like some sort of a bento set. 

 

"Eh? What's this?" 

 

He nudged me to open it and once I opened it, I had a shock. "Myung…" To be honest, I was more of touched than shocked. 

 

"Knew you'd be hungry after your work so I got you some food. Ramen everyday isn't that healthy you know." He then reached from his bag for a pair of wooden chopsticks and handed them to me. 

 

"Gomawo." I gave him a grateful smile. 

 

In the end, the both of us ended up sitting at the bus stop and him watching me eat again. We didn't get on the bus since I was eating and was pretty much enjoying our alone time in that small tiny bus stop. I bet the bus drivers must be finding the both of us weird because we were sitting there but we didn't get on any of the buses. 

 

"Slow down Jin! We're not even rushing anywhere!" Myungsoo laughed at me as I inhaled that bento box. I didn't even know I was so hungry until I actually ate. I did have dinner but somehow as you work, you just keep getting hungrier and hungrier. 

 

Anyways, speaking of rushing, "I can't believe that November is ending and soon it's going to be December!" I suddenly had that thought as I stared at the cold winter sky. Time seemed to rush past us and soon we are nearing the end of the year. 

 

Which is also the release of the results of the college entrance test. I think I am going to faint. I let out a sigh, so loud that it got Myungsoo worried. 

 

"W-what's wrong?" He asked, worried. 

 

"December means the release of the results and I'm not ready to know my results yet." I cried, while I took a mouthful of rice and I'm pretty sure I looked absolutely horrible but I still have to eat. 

 

As if he wasn't already sitting close to me, Myungsoo sat closer and put an arm over my shoulder. "Hey hey, don't worry Jin. All that hard work and effort, they won't go to waste. You did your best, you'll be fine." He started rubbing my shoulders in a reassuring manner and I stuffed my mouth with more rice. 

 

"But… what if my best wasn't good enough?" I felt myself shake a little but the thought of not being good enough scares me. It scares the hell out of me. 

 

"It will always be Jin." Myungsoo said softly in my ear and my hair. "If it's not, it just means that you're meant for other things. Other great things. No matter what you think you're worth, there will always a place in this world for you." 

 

I stopped eating and was nearly about to tear up at his words. Did I mention that Myungsoo always knows what to say to make me feel better? 

 

I snuggled closer to him and we watched the next bus drive off. "Thank you Myung," I said softly. 

 

Myungsoo continued my hair and his puzzled expression explains everything. 

 

"You just always know what to say to make me feel better." I said to him. Even though I think I've told him a thousand times, I feel like he still deserves to know it. That's just how important he means to me now. 

 

"I will always be here to make you feel better then." He replied me and I smiled to myself. 

 

For who knows how long, the both of us sat there at the bus stop and I ate until we almost missed the last bus. We caught the last bus back and he walked me back home like he usually does. I feel bad for making him stay up so late and he still has to wake up early the next day, but Myungsoo never complained. 

 

I just hope that at the end of the day, I will do him and my parents proud, for getting into the best university in the country. He has so much faith in me, and I really hope I have the same amount of faith in myself. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hey all! Uni life is really taking a toll on my life. Oh wait, I have no more life left. Anyways, here's a new chapter and I apologize for the wait! This chapter, there was an introduction of new characters and things are seemingly about to take a huge turn! But do bear with me! There's always a reason for everything with me ;) 

Also, I just want to know where did all my readers go to??? I haven't been hearing from you guys for awhile now! (is it because I am getting slower at updating? I really apologize about that. I hate that I have to put off writing for so long as well but here I am again!) I miss reading your comments! So do leave me a comment and I will definitely reply to them :) you all should know me by now that I do appreciate my readers a lot and am ever grateful to them. So thank you all, for bearing with me and waiting patiently for the updates! I will try my best to update sooner for the next one but no guarentees since I have tests coming my way! Have a great weekend everybody! Love you all as always.