Chapter 20

A Little Thing About Love

It was day three of the seniors' grad trip and today, we went to Haedong Yonggung temple, which is pretty near haeundae beach. It was this famous Buddhist temple by the seaside and I swear the view is extremely beautiful. I was in awe of the beauty of this magnificent place and I never want to leave, if I could.

 

"Waaaa daebak!" I exclaimed as we went to the edge and got to see the sea from the temple. This is probably like some healing trip before the real hell begins of preparing for the college entrance exam.

 

Snap

 

I turned to face the sound of the shutter and I saw Myungsoo there with his camera again.

 

"Yah!" I shouted at him for taking my horrible photos once again.

 

"It's not that bad, really." He then showed me the photo he took. It was my back view but I looked like I enjoyed the scenery a lot. I gave him a satisfied smile for not taking horribly unglamorous photos of me. For once, I was satisfactory with his photo of me.

 

For this tour, we actually took the bus with our class but we could mix with the others once we got there. Myungsoo was obviously with me but the others were nowhere to be seen. Maybe they were enjoying the scenery as well on their own. My thoughts went to Howon for no reason and I was wondering if he enjoyed this beautiful view. Oh, what am I thinking, he probably enjoys it because it's pretty. Who wouldn't enjoy it?

 

"Jin, I'll just head back there to take some more photos of the temple okay?" Myungsoo said and I nodded.

 

"Come back quickly okay!" I called out after him and he raised a hand to tell me he understood. Gosh, I feel like a mom now.

 

Since Myungsoo went to some other place, there was nobody else there at the place I was that I recognize. Even Jieun and Jooyeon were nowhere to be seen. I then took a seat by one of the wooden stools they had and enjoyed the sea breeze. Just then, someone else came to sit next to me.

 

I turned and found myself staring at the handsome side view of Sunggyu.

 

"Gyu!" I said, ecstatic to see him next to me when the others were missing in action.

 

"It's beautiful isn't it?" Sunggyu said and I nodded. "This place is just so beautiful."

 

"I know." I said as the wind blew in our faces, messing up our hair but Sunggyu's messy hair still looked good.

 

I laughed at his messed up hair and he looked at me.

 

"What?"

 

"Your hair." I pointed out, still giggling. He then tried to set his hair properly but it was too hard without a mirror and so I helped him set his hair neatly. But my efforts were futile because another gush of wind came and messed it all up again. The both of us just laughed instead, not bothering about our hairs anymore. We were just enjoying the wind as our other schoolmates chatted around us and took photos.

 

Sunggyu then closed his eyes, enjoying the breeze. His facial expression was peaceful. His eyebrows weren't cringed together like when he was worried and I wondered how long it has been since he's been this carefree. Even the time when I first met him when we were thirteen, I have never seen him this relaxed before. His mom went into a coma when he was only just a kid and that small boy had so much worry in his life that it just weighed him down.

 

"Gyu, since when did you last feel so carefree?" I asked him, gentleness in my voice because for a person like Sunggyu, you have to treat him with care.

 

Sunggyu's smile faded at my question and I felt bad for taking that beautiful smile away. Sunggyu paused and thought long and hard about that question, to which I just got my answer. It must have been a long long time.

 

"You're only eighteen," I started when he didn't answer my question. "You do not have to put the whole weight of the world on your shoulders."

 

"But I have to." He whispered softly and looked far away. "I wish I could stay here, forever. Where all my worries are forgotten, where I can finally find peace at last. You asked me when I last feel so peaceful and carefree? Honestly, I don't know. My mother has been in a coma since I was eight and my dad started drinking when I was ten. Guess I was just forced to grow up early."

 

I frowned at his words. He did tell me about his family but he never mentioned that his mom has been in a coma since he was eight. At such a young age, who could bear it? Furthermore, his father had resorted to alcohol to resolve his problems? Sunggyu was totally left to fend for himself.

 

"I don't want to go back to reality." He continued. "But I have to."

 

"Gyu-ah…"

 

"I have to, for my father."

 

There he goes again. Being the caring son he is. No matter what, he still worries about his dad.

 

"He's not always a bad person you know. It's only when he drinks."

 

"But he…" I didn't want to bring up about the part where Sunggyu got hurt because of his dad. It pains me to even bring it up, what more could Sunggyu feel?

 

"I was just in the way." Sunggyu said, knowing what I was referring to. "I can't just leave my dad to fend for himself. He's already heartbroken." Sunggyu then looked at me, straight in the eye.

 

"I love him Jin. He's my dad. And I hope that one day, he would wake up to reality and learn to accept it."

 

I put an arm around Sunggyu's shoulders and gave it a light squeeze. Sunggyu and his love for his dad… it's a different kind of love that we're all used to. It's not the romantic love but it's still love.

 

"He will." I told Sunggyu.

 

"How would you know?"

 

"Do you trust me?" I asked Sunggyu who already had this confused look on his face.

 

He nodded, "of course."

 

"Then do you believe in me?" I smiled, knowing where this is heading.

 

"Of course." Sunggyu smiled back.

 

"Trusting and believing are two different things you know. Trusting is knowing how the outcome will be like and that knowing that the person will deliver results. Believing in a person, is believing that the person will achieve something that is uncertain. So believe in me, when I say that you dad will come around. Trust me on that."

 

Sunggyu's smile got even wider after hearing my not-so-original words.

 

"Since when did our Jin get so wise?"

 

I gave a shy smile, it wasn't even my words to begin with. "Someone told me that."

 

Speaking of that someone, isn't he suppose to meet me back here after he's done photographing whatever he wanted to photograph? Where is he?

 

"Okay kids! I need you guys to leave the place now! We gotta go! Chop chop!" One of the teachers said and students started making their way out of the temple. But where the hell is Myungsoo?

 

I then walked further into the place, trying to see if Myungsoo was still there but he was nowhere to be seen. Sunggyu was following behind me. "Jin, who are you looking for?"

 

"Myungsoo! He's suppose to come back after he's done taking photos but where is he?" I said, panicking because what if he went away on his own and he doesn't know that we're leaving already?

 

Sunggyu put a hand on my shoulder to calm me down. "Jin, you can just call him." He said calmly and I swear I almost face palmed myself. How can I be so stupid? Of course I could call him! Oh my gosh, Jung Yoojin, you really need to use your brain more or you'll end up being a pabo!

 

It turns out that Myungsoo had already made his way back to the meeting point because when he came back to the wooden stools, I wasn't there anymore and he just assumed that I went back without him. How could I go back without him? He was my sidekick, I wouldn't just leave him alone and walk away like that. I'm not that kind of person.

 

Myungsoo then showed me his photos on the bus on the way back and I was so impressed. The photos looked extremely amazing. The natural lighting of the place made the shots look so good that any other editing of the photos weren't needed. At least in my non-professional opinion, they weren’t needed. Myungsoo seemed really proud of his work and I gave him a light pat on the shoulders.

 

"Our Myungsoo did a good job!"

 

He smiled sweetly like a little puppy receiving love from its owner and I laughed at his reaction. It was too cute. Yes, he was actually cute and all but I'm not going to tell him that. It was an opinion he didn't need to know.

 

"Say, do you want to be a photographer when you grow up?" I asked Myungsoo this random question. I don't actually know what Myungsoo wants to study at the moment.

 

He thought about it for a moment and then shook his head. "Photography is just an interest. I don't want to do it as a job. They say to never let your hobby be your work, or you'll end up hating it."

 

I thought about what he said and I nodded, "that's actually kinda true."

 

"I want to be a prosecutor." Myungsoo said and my eyes widened.

 

"Jjinja?"

 

Myungsoo nodded. "Yeah, bad guys should be prosecuted anyways. They can't be let off the hook. They need to be punished."

 

"Whoa righteous, aren't you?" I .

 

"How about you, Jin?" He asked me this time round.

 

I took a deep breath and paused. This simple question of what do you want to be when you grow up? It's a simple question, but somehow I found it hard to answer. It is like as you grow older, you find yourself thinking more seriously about this question and you never quite have an answer to. At least for me anyways. Those who already know what they want to be? Good for them. For me? I'm still in a stage where I don't know what's my own strength. As a kid, we all answered this question with many many answers. I want to be a doctor, a lawyer, a dentist, a musician, an actor, and many many more. But as you grow up, that list slowly shortens until you are sometimes left with nothing.

 

"I don't know." I said honestly.

 

"It's okay if you don't know. What do you know when you're only eighteen?"

 

"But you know what you want to be."

 

"I wanted to be one since I was a kid." He paused. "You don't have to always know what you want to be. You'll have a whole life ahead of you to work. You'll have a whole life ahead of you to figure it out. We're only eighteen, what do we know about the real world? For all you know, I may end up hating being a prosecutor."

 

I snorted, "yeah right, the almighty righteous Kim Myungsoo hates being a prosecutor? That is so believable." I said sarcastically.

 

"Shut up." He lightly hit my forehead and I winced in pain, not forgetting to send him my famous deadly glare.

 

"You're so dead Kim Myungsoo!" I tried to aim his forehead for a forehead flick but his hands were too fast. He caught me but I wasn't giving up so easily. Just like that, the both of us were having a mini war on the bus on the way back to our accommodation.

 

We then passed by a cafe at the roadside and I pointed it out to Myungsoo. "Oh! I heard their red velvet cake is the best ever!"

 

"Is it?" He looked out the window and manages to catch a glimpse of it before the bus passes it completely. It was a chain cafe by the name of 'Velvet Lovers' and they have a few chains in Seoul as well. I just never got to try it.

 

"I really want to try it someday!" I said excitedly and Myungsoo nodded in acknowledgement.

 

--

 

It wasn't until long and we reached our accommodation.

 

This evening, we are having some sort of barbecue for our dinner and the student counselors were helping out with the grilling of food. It was a dinner where the teachers aren't there and they left us to do whatever we wanted, but we still had to follow the lights out rule. It wasn't too bad, because I was with my friends just chilling by the beach. Summer is all about the beach isn't it.

 

We were just relaxing and chatting about really random stuff when my eyes suddenly darted to a couple. It was that meanie Son Dongwoon and another girl I didn't recognize. I stared at him longer because I was still surprised by him having a girlfriend. He kept his arm around her waist and fed her some food. I almost cringed at that sight though. But from the look in his eyes, he seemed happy. Really happy.

 

"Woohyun-ah, is Son Dongwoon dating?" I asked casually at the table, still keeping my eyes at the couple.

 

"Ah! Yeah he did. He finally managed to get the girl he's been chasing for over a year." Woohyun said.

 

I almost choked. "What?! So he actually had someone he liked for over a year? Whoa, daebak."

 

Woohyun just laughed. "Why can't he have someone he likes?"

 

"Aniya, it's just surprising considering how aloof he always is." I took a bite of my meat and stared at the couple acting all lovey dovey. Dongwoon must have sensed someone staring at him and he turned to my direction. I was about to turn away but he just smiled at me, giving me that signature smirk of his and a wave of his hand. Being polite, I smiled back. At least he's happy right? He may be annoying but he's happy now. If that's the case, then I'm happy for him. Everybody deserves their own happiness.

 

Just because the teachers weren't around, all the other couples started emerging. I looked around and everybody was hand in hand, acting all cuddly. Turns out, there are so many other couples that are unheard of. Like that Park Junsung guy in my class, he's dating some other girl from Howon's class.

 

I don't know what made me think that, but I suddenly felt like dating. How is it like to even date? I took a slight glance at Howon, only to see him devouring the meat we had on the table. Woohyun was fighting with him for the meat but Howon suddenly grabbed a piece and placed it on Bomi's plate.

 

"Bomi-ah, you seem to be eating very little. Have more!" He took another, and another and stacked in on her plate, scolding Woohyun at the same time for fighting with a girl for the meat. Even Bomi's decreasing appetite was noticed by Howon and I took a glance at Woohyun. He looked down and he didn't meet my eyes.

 

The third day ended just like that. I swear this night was planned because the teachers have known that there were a lot of couples amongst us and they wanted to let them have their own moment. "Aish," I sighed, it just makes the rest of the single people feel horrible looking at the couples around. I was just packing my stuff in my room and Hyuna wasn't here. Our room was basically just a place for her to sleep. She's always at Krystal's place and she comes back right before the teachers come to check and goes straight to bed.

 

I looked at the time and there's thirty minutes left before lights out. Staying in the room alone felt so suffocating and so I decided to head down to the beach to take a breather. And also to gather my thoughts. I've been thinking about Howon ever since I saw all the couples around and it that I'm thinking about him constantly. Will he ever look at me as a love interest? Or am I just his oldest best friend? And also about Bomi. I sighed at the thought about Bomi. I really want to help her.

 

As I walked to the beach, I noticed a familiar figure sitting on the rocks, just watching the waves crash onto the shore. A smirk came on my face as I decided to just scare him.

 

"Boo!" I said as I shook him lightly with my hands on his shoulders.

 

"Ah! Oh my gosh, you gave me a scare Jung Yoojin!" Myungsoo said with a shocked look on his face. I laughed.

 

"Aish! You scare me and now you're laughing at me?"

 

I continued laughing because his reaction was gold. Seriously, gold.

 

"Jung Yoojin!" He expression stiffened as though he was reprimanding me.

 

"Okay, okay." I cleared my throat and tried to swallow my laughter but it kept coming out.

 

Myungsoo stared at me with his arms crossed.

 

"Okay, I'm sorry, but your reaction is amazing. Why didn't I do this to you earlier?" I broke into another round of laughter.

 

"Yah!" Myungsoo stood up and was about to come get me but I put my hands out in defense.

 

"Okay! I'll stop laughing! Sit back down." I said to him like I was training a dog. Not that Myungsoo is a dog. He just looks like one. Okay no, I'm just kidding but you understand right? Okay, no more laughing at Kim Myungsoo.

 

I then sat next to him and looked at the night sky with him. "The stars are so beautiful."

 

"They sure are." Myungsoo replied. I felt a stare at me coming from my side and I turned to look at Myungsoo. He immediately turned away to the stars.

 

I took a deep breath, thinking if I should tell Myungsoo about what I felt just now. He's my best friend, furthermore, he's the only one who knew about my crush on Howon.

 

"I've been thinking…" I stared at Myungsoo turned to look at me. "When I saw so many couples around just now, I thought about what it was like to date… I thought about what it was like to date Howon. But then again, he may not even like me in that way. Maybe I'm just a best friend to him." I said sadly.

 

Myungsoo kept quiet.

 

I sighed again and looked to the stars, "why are there so many couples out there but there's no one who likes me?"

 

"You're not alone you know."

 

I nudged Myungsoo. "Just because you haven't gotten any confession or anything doesn't mean nobody likes you, you know. There's so many girls out there that just wanna eat you alive. And there's Krystal Jung." I paused. "Say, Krystal Jung and I both have the same last name, how is it that we're both Jung's but we're so different?"

 

"I don't mean it in that way." Myungsoo said.

 

"That what way?"

 

Myungsoo shrugged like he knows some sort of secret but he isn't telling me. This kind of reminds me of the time I spoke to Sunggyu and he said there are more people who love me than I think…

 

"And you're you. Krystal is Krystal. Don't try to compare the both of you."

 

I frowned, "that's because Krystal is amazing huh?"

 

"Tsk, I said not to compare." Myungsoo gave me a scowl. "Each person is great in their own way. It's like we have all our strengths written on our back, you can't see it but others can. And then we have our weaknesses written on the front, when you look in the mirror, you see it all. But you're not only made up of your faults, you're made up of your greatness too. You're an amazing person Yoojin, you just don't know how great you are."

 

My frown turned into a smile. "You always know what to say to make me feel better. Even though it may just be sweet talk."

 

Myungsoo let out a small laugh, "I'm being serious. It's not sweet talk."

 

"But you're laughing." I pointed out.

 

"Can't I laugh?"

 

I laughed as well.

 

"Come to think of it. I don't think I've liked someone as much as I like Howon." I said all of a sudden. And that was true. Sure, I've liked Jongin oppa but do I really like him or is it just some sort of infatuation and I was just smitten by his good looks? I don't even know him well and I've liked him. Howon? He's different. I've known him all my life.

 

Then it just clicked in my head and I gasped.

 

"What is it?" Myungsoo asked, shocked by my sudden gasp.

 

"Howon is my first love." I covered my mouth immediately after I said that.

 

"Really?"

 

I nodded. "I've never really liked a guy to this extent before. Not counting my crush last year because he really doesn't count."

 

Myungsoo gave me a confused look and I told him about all about my crush on Jongin oppa last year. I told him everything. About how I liked him for a year and how Howon found out. I even told him about Howon eating my cupcakes even though he hated sweet stuff. Just everything.

 

"Maybe it started then. That I found myself looking at him more often." I said, regarding the part where he ate my cupcakes. Myungsoo sat there and listened attentively and he didn't say anything.

 

"So Howon as my first love huh? Isn't that weird." I laughed, trying to lighten the atmosphere.

 

"Why is it weird?"

 

"He's my best friend. My oldest friend too."

 

"They say that your first love is the one you'll remember for life. No matter who you end up with, your first love will always hold a special place in your heart. Because it's the first. Be glad that Howon is the one who will give you a good memory to smile at when you look back in the future." Wise Myungsoo came out again. He really knows what to say to make people feel a whole lot better and I found myself tearing up at his beautiful words.

 

"What if it's a bad memory?"

 

"Be glad that it was someone special who gave you something to learn in life. He would have helped you to grow. And the fact that he's your oldest best friend, it makes him more special."

 

I could feel the tears welling up at his wise words. I don't know why but I just ended up giving him a hug. "How is it you always know what to say?"

 

Myungsoo kept quiet but he hugged me back and I felt my tears fall. I was touched by his words. He had such a positive outlook on life and I wish I could be just as optimistic as him.

 

He then pulled back and looked at my crying face. Just to defend myself, I wasn't sobbing or anything. I was just in tears, touched at the little words he said. He laughed but then proceeded to wipe my tears away.

 

"What a crybaby." He mumbled.

 

I hit him on the chest. "Yah, I heard that."

 

"Let's go back before we get caught."

 

As we were walking back, we bumped into Krystal and Hyuna. Hyuna wasn't giving me any notable expression but Krysal's eyes widened. I quickly scooted apart from Myungsoo because I was standing too close. I don't even know why I did that but I just did. "See you tomorrow Myung." I said and I immediately went back to my room, not looking back. Why does it feel like I'm a mice, afraid to be caught by a cat? Not that Myungsoo or Krystal were dating or anything.

 

A few minutes after I went back into my room, Hyuna followed in. As usual, we didn't talk to each other but Hyuna broke the silence. "So do you like Myungsoo?" Wow, straightforward much?

 

"Aniya, we're just best friends."

 

"But you're always around him, and Howon. Just where does your heart lie?"

 

I looked at Hyuna and I hesitated to tell her my answer. I didn't want to tell anyone else about my crush on Howon. Plus, if Hyuna knows that I like Howon, she'll probably be scowling at me every time I'm with him. Seeing my keeping my silence, she spoke up.

 

"I don't want my best friend to get hurt." Hyuna said quietly.

 

"Myungsoo and I are just plainly friends. Krystal can go after him."

 

"Does he like her too?" Hyuna asked for her friend.

 

I shrugged, because I honestly don't know. I really can't tell who Myungsoo's heart is with. Sometimes I think he likes Krystal but sometimes he looks like he doesn't. "I really can't tell and he never let me broach the subject."

 

"Tell him… don't hurt Krystal okay?"

 

I froze. For once, I've seen Hyuna caring about someone else except for Howon. For once, I've seen her speaking so warmly of a friend.

 

"Please?" Hyuna stressed.

 

I nodded and she smiled. She smiled at me. For the first time.

 

"Thank you." She said before she went to wash up and I smiled to myself. Maybe my roommate isn't that bad after all.

 

--

 

Day four started really quickly and I can't believe we're going back to Seoul tomorrow. Basically, there isn't much to do today except for preparing our class performance for the campfire finale tonight. Tomorrow, we set off back to Seoul after breakfast so technically, today is the last day we actually get to have fun here in Busan.

 

However, the sad thing is that the performance is by class and so we were allocated an area each for each class so that we could discuss on what performance we would perform for the finale night.

 

Someone from our class suggest a skit and our class rep took charge.

 

"Okay, what kind of skit do you guys want to perform?" Lee Jaeyoung, our class rep took charge and started writing things down. Ideas were being thrown in here and there and the final decision was that our class was going to imitate our subject teachers in a parody.

 

I laughed at the idea that someone was going to imitate Mr Choi. All that person needs to do is put up a straight face and knock on the whiteboard while getting us to shut up. A few then volunteered at which teacher they wanted to be and the rest of us were going to be students. It's going to be hilarious.

 

"This will so funny!" Someone spoke from behind. It was Jieun.

 

"How's the trip for you both so far! I haven't seen you around much Yoojin!" Jooyeon said to both Myungsoo and I.

 

"It's been fun of course! And yeah, what have the both of you guys been up to! How is it that I hardly see the both of you as well!" I turned around to talk to them.

 

"If you weren't always with your lover boy…" Jieun teased and I swear my karate skills almost came out.

 

"Yah!"

 

Myungsoo just laughed at my reaction.

 

We were just sitting there chatting and laughing even though we were suppose to prepare for the skit but it's okay, as long as we have fun.

 

"Hey guys! Could you come here and help out with their planning of the script?" Jaeyoung asked and we all nodded. Turns out, this planning for finale night was more fun than we thought. Watching our classmates throw their image away and just letting it all out. I'm pretty sure the other classes will love our performance. I'm not sure about the teachers though but I bet they'll laugh their heads off.

 

"Hey Yoojin, can I just pick on your during my segment? It's what Mr Choi always does anyways." Hyungseung asked. I frowned because of how true that statement was but I nodded anyways.

 

"Oh, since Mr Choi's segment is the last, how about when he picks on you, you stand up and then give the ending speech?" Jaeyoung asked.

 

"Omo, that sounds good!" Jieun chipped in.

 

"Neh?" I was clearly confused. Aren't I supposed to just be the poor innocent student that's being picked on?

 

"Please?" Jaeyoung gave me his puppy eyes and a smile and I agreed. Not because he was good looking or anything, but because he's a really nice guy and he takes on the responsibility of all major things going on in our class. Except for the money anyways.

 

The whole cohort spent the entire afternoon planning and rehearsing until it slowly got dark. We had our dinner as usual and the teachers got ready for the campfire finale. Oh, the campfire isn't by the beach, it's at a campsite near the beach so we just have to walk for a few minutes and we'll reach the place.

 

When we got there, the fire was ready and the whole place gave off a really warm feeling. It was really a true campfire. We then gathered in our classes as the emcees took the stage, ready to begin the finale night. Little did I know, there are actually prizes to be won for the top three best performing classes. The top prize were movie tickets and I bet everybody is eyeing for that now. As poor high school students, free movie tickets are gold.

 

Finale night kick started with Sunggyu's class since his class is the first class. Sunggyu's class sang and they dedicated a song to the teachers. Unexpectedly, it was Sunggyu who took middle stage as he had a small solo section. His honey vocals were so good that I swear I was swooning after him.

 

"That's my boy!" I shouted after their performance and cheered so loudly to a point that my throat hurts. It's only the first performance but I just had to. I never knew Sunggyu could sing this well! This just proves that even though we've been friends for so long, there are still things I don't know about my friends and everyday is a new day to find out more.

 

Bomi's class was next and they had put up a cute skit of a student losing their way on the first day of school and they met up with a teacher, trying to ask for directions. Similarly, it was the teacher's first day of school and the teacher didn't want to embarrass himself in front of the student and just pointed somewhere else. In the end the student got lost but when everything was resolved, the student found out that the teacher was their homeroom teacher. It was a pretty lighthearted skit considering how the moral of the story is to know how to admit to your own mistakes, even if you are ranked above someone else. However, considering Bomi's quiet nature, she didn't play any main roles or anything.

 

Next up, was Woohyun's class. His class put up some sort of a musical-like skit and it was really really funny. Dongwoon played this main character that loves to exaggerate and I believed that he didn't even need to act. He just needs to be himself. It was really funny though, seeing Dongwoon throw all his pride away just to make us laugh. We sure did laughed a lot.

 

Howon's class was the only class that did something different. They danced. Of course, what do you expect, they have the dance president in their class! They have to dance. Lee Joon, whom I met on the way here, was an amazing dancer himself and he showed off his smooth moves. Nevertheless, I couldn't take my eyes off Howon. His moves were simple, it didn't show him off as the really amazing dancer and it's probably because of the class's dance standard but I still found his moves pleasing. How could such simple move look so sophisticated anyways?

 

After Howon's class, it was finally my class's turn to perform. I was actually feeling kinda nervous because all the attention will be on me and I don't do well speaking in public places. I've never had the confidence to do so. We started off well and the reaction was good. One of my classmate was imitating Ms Han, our biology teacher and she was spot on.

 

When it was finally time for 'Mr Choi' to come on stage, I felt my heart beating really fast. My palms were sweating and I felt something churning in my tummy. Must be the nerves. Hyungseung then stood up and stomped his foot in replace of the hitting of the whiteboard since we didn't have one.

 

"Jung Yoojin!" He bellowed.

 

"N-neh?" I immediately stood up. I mentally slapped myself because I wasn't suppose to stutter but because I was so nervous I stuttered.

 

"Clean the whiteboard. Oh, right, we don't have one. Get me a whiteboard then."

 

My brain sprang into script mode as I regurgitate out the lines I remembered for this skit. However, my s-s-stu-stuttering didn't stop.

 

"M-mr Choi! We're o-outside. T-there's no whiteboard!"

 

"Eh? You talked back? Detention!"

 

The audience laughed. I could see Mr Choi from the corner of my eye and he had his arms crossed, folded against his chest. Why did I agree to this? I think I just got promoted from being number one on Mr Choi's most hated student list to… Oh wait, I'm already number one.

 

The skit then continued with more jabs at me, using Mr Choi's favorite words. The reaction was good and it was finally time for my closing ment.

 

I took a deep breath and face the cohort. I could feel my knees weakening with so many pair of eyes staring right at me.

 

The good thing was, I was not there alone, I was standing amongst all my other classmates who were seated. The bad thing was, I was standing amongst all my classmates and they were seated. So the attention is still all on me.

 

"This skit, was not to make fun of our teachers." I started. Somehow, my stuttering was gone and I don't even know how I manage to do it. I could feel my voice shaking. Or was that my hands? Or my legs? "But rather, a tribute." I gained confidence as everybody straightened up to take a listen.

 

"It is a way to show our gratitude for the teachers who have spent countless of hours preparing materials for lessons and never giving up on us. We still have half a year, or actually less than half a year left and more than anyone else, our teachers feel stressed as well. We worry about ourselves, but our teachers worry about the entire class. Each and every one of us. Our teachers are only humans, but in our eyes, they're the superheroes. Mr Choi once said, we may not be the best, but nobody said we had to be the best, we just have to do ourselves proud."

 

The whole cohort clapped when I was done with the ending ment. I could feel the blood gushing to my head and the adrenaline rush from the public speaking. It was definitely scary but something enjoyable.

 

"You were on fire Jin." Myungsoo said as I sat down next to him. He put out his palm and I gave him a high five.

 

"You have no idea how nervous I was speaking in front of so many people."

 

"You did it anyways."

 

I smiled at the realization. "Yeah, I did."

 

It was finally time for the prize presentation of the performances put up by every one of us earlier. At first, I wasn't really expecting anything from our class skit but seeing the reaction the audience gave, I think we stood a chance of maybe getting third place. Let's not expect too much, since I kinda ruined it by stuttering so much.

 

The emcees then started the prize presentation. "Third place goes to… drumroll please!" Everybody started stomping their feet in the ground, waiting for the emcee to announce.

 

"Please let it be us. Please!" I prayed silently.

 

"Class 3-5!"

 

"Ommo, it's Howon's class!" I quickly said to Myungsoo as I watched Howon run up to the makeshift platform to collect the prize for his class.

 

"In second place… drumroll again please!" I stomped my feet on the ground this time because I know we wouldn't make it. If we didn't make to at least third placing, we probably wouldn't be second.

 

"Class 3-3!"

 

"Daebak," Myungsoo muttered next to me as we watch Dongwoon go up the stage to collect the prize. Woohyun class's skit was really funny and it was all because of Dongwoon and his silliness. I'm pretty sure Dongwoon wasn't even acting.

 

"Finally! Time for the final winner!" The emcee raised the hype and everybody else did the drumroll without his cue. We all couldn't wait to see which class emerges champion.

 

"Class… 3… louder please!" The emcee teased and we all stomped our foot harder.

 

"Class 3-6!"

 

"Omo!" I shrieked. My whole class cheered and we all stood up immediately. Myungsoo gave me a hug, "we did it!"

 

I hugged him back and I was too speechless to even say anything. I can't believe we actually got first! Our class representative, Jaeyoung, went up to take our free movie tickets. It's free movie tickets! Wow, I am so excited for this free movie.

 

"I never expected to get first!" I said to Myungsoo, even after everything. Since it was campfire night, the teachers couldn't help but allow us to have some free time. What's a campfire night without confession time? It was time to find our friends and just sit and talk, for the last night of our grad trip.

 

"You did really well Jin. That stuttering act, so good." He gave a thumbs up.

 

I frowned, "it wasn't an act. I really stuttered."

 

Myungsoo turned to look at me. "I know." He said as a-matter-of-factly and walked away.

 

"Mwoh yah." I muttered after him.

 

The six of us had then gathered at one part of the camping grounds and we just sat there talking about stuff. What kind of stuff? I don't really know because our conversation keeps changing direction as we talked. I looked around, feeling blessed to have such close friends in my life but when my eyes darted to Bomi, I frowned. Bomi kept looking down, she looked like she was out of it. Usually, even if Bomi doesn't talk much in our conversations, she listens and she laughs. But this time, Bomi was just looking down.

 

Before I could even say anything nice, someone spoke up.

 

"Let's play truth or dare! What's a night like this without truth or dare?" Howon suggested and the rest seemed to be fine with it.

 

He took an empty bottle and start spinning it. The first unlucky one to be caught was none other than my most precious friend, Kim Sunggyu.

 

"Truth." Sunggyu chose.

 

"Aish, Kim Sunggyu! You're no fun. I'm going to make this fun for you." Woohyun wiggled his eyebrows. Woohyun and Sunggyu were undeniably close. Sunggyu came to know us because of Woohyun and the both of them were teammates. Not only teammates, they both had to work together as captain and vice-captain to lead the basketball team as a whole. Who else would know Sunggyu better than Woohyun?

 

"You!" Woohyun pointed to Sunggyu. "Who's your crush?"

 

I froze. Sunggyu had told me many things but one thing I don't know is about his crush. It never crossed my mind that he would be harboring feelings for someone else. Seems like he didn't tell Woohyun as well.

 

"No one." Sunggyu said without any hesitation.

 

"Don't you lie Gyu, it's truth or dare time."

 

"I'm being serious, there's no one. I don't have the time to think about someone else."

 

Woohyun frowned, unsatisfied with the answer. I then looked at Sunggyu and his fair face. Of course he has no time to be crushing on someone. He has so much on his plate. That peaceful expression I saw just yesterday, I wish I could see that on his face everyday. It's just not fair that he has to grow up so quickly and have so many burdens on his shoulders. I just wish time could stop and he could take a breather before going back to reality.

 

Sunggyu then spin the bottle and it landed on Woohyun. He gave a smirk, as though he's going to ask Woohyun the toughest question ever.

 

Woohyun gave a nervous smile, "Gyu-ah, I'm your best friend remember?"

 

Before Sunggyu could say anything, Howon threw in a question. "Who's your crush then?"

 

Woohyun froze.

 

"I always see girls crowding around you in class so who's the one who caught our Namu's heart?"

 

Woohyun's frozen face turned towards Sunggyu, and then me, and he gave me an SOS look.

 

"I—"

 

"Wait!" Bomi stood up immediately, scaring all of us be her sudden actions. "I… I have something to say… to Jin. Alone."

 

Bomi then pulled me by my hand away from the group to a corner. I could hear sobs coming but I couldn't see her face as we walked.

 

"Bomi-ah," I called out but she didn't stop.

 

Bomi then pulled me to a corner, where nobody could see us and I finally saw her face. She was crying again.

 

"Jin—"

 

"Bomi-ah, what's wrong? You know that you can always tell me everything right? I know you might be having a hard time for whatever reason but just know that I'll be here for you." I went up to give her a hug as she cried. I patted her back trying to soothe her but it was no use.

 

Bomi then pulled away, "I… Jin… I'm so sorry."

 

She then reached for her pocket and pulled out something so familiar. It was something I hadn't seen in awhile. It was the pouch I kept the money I was collecting in.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Trust me when I say I already know what the comments are going to be about!!!!!! DAN DAN DAN MYSTERY REVEALED. So how did Bomi have that sacred item that Jin was looking for for so long? Why is it with her? WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!?! Guess that will have to wait till the next chapter so stay tuned to find out! (I sound like some tv commercial hahahahaha) But yes, that mystery pouch has reappeared!!! Also, just to give credit to whoever who thought of the mirror analogy, I just want to say it's not from me. I actually saw that post on tumblr quite some time ago and I found that to be so apt. I just had to use it in the story. It's the perfect analogy and it's so important I want my readers to know this too. So just saying, it's not mine, I saw that quote from tumblr but I can't give proper credits because it's so long ago. 

Do let me know what you guys think of this chapter and do anticipate the next chapter! I think the next chapter is going to be very interesting and it's something really special so do anticipate!!!!

Hope you guys had a great weekend (and didn't get fooled during april fools!) ^^