Chapter 11

A Little Thing About Love

A few weeks have passed and school had gotten more serious about our studies. I did try my best but somehow I was still only average. See, I really think it's a talent to be average at everything. There's really nothing I'm good at but I don't particularly at anything.

 

 


I realized through this short period of time that Myungsoo is actually quite smart. He had explained to me things I didn't get and is such a model student. He didn't get any detention as of yet and he always completes his assignments on time. To me, that's good enough to be a model student.

Today, I was walking into class with Myungsoo and we were chatting happily when suddenly someone came over to Myungsoo's desk. It was weird considering how I have never talked to her before despite being in the same class.

"Myungsoo-ah, can you please explain to me this question? I tried doing it the way you taught me but I still couldn't get the answer." Krystal Jung flashed her brightest and most beautiful smile at Myungsoo as she approached him. Since when Myungsoo had helped Krystal with homework? That is shocking. Myungsoo was explaining patiently and I was staring at her intently. She was battling her eyelashes and looking at him shyly when I realized, Krystal Jung is interested in our Myungsoo?

After she left and went back to her seat, I quietly nudged him and gave him a smirk. "Yah, she's one of the prettiest girls in school."

He gave me a blank stare. "So?"

I was taken aback. I thought he would be all cocky or even proud because the prettiest girl in school was talking to him but it seems like his reaction was the complete opposite. "So?" I repeated, "since when did you guys even talk? I've never seen her speak to you before!"

"She saw me after school and asked for help with math." Myungsoo shrugged nonchalantly. Look at this guy playing it all cool. I was laughing to myself when he gave me a look.

"What? Why are you laughing at me?"

I continued laughing and Myungsoo just glared at me. "Can't you tell? She's interested in you." I gave him a wink. Myungsoo was clearly taken aback because he stiffened in his seat and the way he stared at me was as though I went completely nuts but hey, Myungsoo is a pretty good catch. He is handsome and smart. What's there to not like about him? Not that I'm into him anyway.

Recently I've been thinking about a certain someone and it was just weird. I shuddered when his image came into my head again and pushed that thought away.

"What's wrong with you?" Myungsoo asked as he tried to read my face.

"Nothing. I just thought of you dating Krystal Jung." I stuck my tongue out at him.

Myungsoo then muttered something under his breath but since I couldn't hear it, I figured he was probably saying something bad about me. He has been under the influence of Lee Howon and Nam Woohyun for quite some time now and he's turning against me already. I need Sunggyu to influence him a little as well. Now I can't wait for lunch to meet my friends as I think about them. I miss them already.

However, when lunchtime finally came, I don't think I miss them as much as I said I did. As usual, Howon didn't bother waiting for us and he had already stuffed his face with rice and kimchi. Sunggyu sat next to me, Woohyun directly opposite me and Bomi was next to Woohyun. Myungsoo was sitting on my other side and Howon was siting next to Woohyun. I didn't know why but I found myself staring at Howon as we ate.

"Jin? Jin? Earth to Jung Yoojin?" Sunggyu waved a hand in front of me, breaking my train of thoughts.

"Oh, mian, I was distracted. You were saying?"

"I was just asking you how's the money collection going?" Sunggyu said in a calm manner. "Do you need a safe box or something to keep the cash?"

Before I could even reply, Woohyun beat me to it. "Don't trust him Jin, he's going to take all the cash!" I smacked him hard on the head and covered Sunggyu's ears. "Don't listen to that brat, I will karate chop his head off." I smiled sweetly at Woohyun. "And besides, I haven't started collecting yet."  I gave an awkward laugh.

"My class secretary isn't very reliable as you can see." Myungsoo said coldly and I elbowed him.

"Yah! You voted for me!"

"My mistake." He doubled over. Maybe I hit him a little too hard.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention was that last week, I was elected as the class secretary and I have to start collecting funds for our senior grad trip. It was those miscellaneous funds that we have to use to pay for our meals and I was in charge of it. I didn't volunteer for it but Jieun had actually volunteered me up for it and Myungsoo supported the decision. If Myungsoo supported something, the rest of the girls were on his train and hence, that is how I became the class secretary.

As usual, Bomi just laughed at our ridiculous conversations during lunch. She hardly spoke but she was right not to get involved with these weird idiots. Throughout the entire lunch period, Woohyun kept stealing my spicy stir fried chicken because he said I couldn't handle the spiciness. I told him I could but he didn't believe me.

Turns out, Nam Woohyun knew me better than I know myself because I was dying from the spiciness. In the end I kept drinking his milk, which he bought earlier because I couldn't take the spiciness. So much for a school cafeteria, the level of spiciness was beyond my capabilities. But then again, I've never been good with spicy food.

As the day came to an end, I decided to go to the art room to continue my sketch. If I wanted to keep within the dateline for submission for the carnival, I better be done with that sketch soon. There are still colours to add and the entire piece will take some time to complete. Despite the guys not having their regular dance or basketball practice, I texted them saying that I'll be staying in school to finish up and they should leave first. I even texted my mom saying that I'll be home late.

Only Myungsoo stayed with me because he said he had something to do in the photography room anyways so we walked to our club rooms together before we parted ways. This is why I would say Myungsoo is weird in his own way. He's sometimes a devil but also an angel, just what is he?

It felt like hours when I was in the art room trying to get the perfect sketch but something just doesn't seem right. I hate it when this happens because I can't seem to get the right sketch. It feels like something is off and I cannot move on if I don't get that sketch right. Looking at the time, it is already past eight and I'm still here trying to get that part of my sketch right. This is just so frustrating. I think I'm going to pull my hair off soon at this rate I'm going.

I thought that I would be the only one left but suddenly someone knocked on the door.

"Come in." I shouted out.

The door opened and my jaws dropped. It was Myungsoo. "Didn't you leave already?" I stared at him in wonder because I had expected the guys to leave school and went home on their own.

Myungsoo shook his head, "I was busy and it's getting late, wanna head home?"

I stared at my sketch and let out a sigh. Looks like it'll be impossible to finish it today. "Alright, let's head home."

As we walked out the school gates, my stomach started to rumble because I haven't have dinner yet. Myungsoo stared at me and I shot him a glance, warning him not to laugh at me because he totally heard the rumble. How embarrassing. Myungsoo laughed it off and then reached for a sweet in his bag. "Have one first and we shall go for dinner." He stretched out his hand and handed me a milk candy of my favourite brand. How did he even know my favourite candy? Okay, maybe he didn't and it was just a coincidence but still, I happily took the candy and popped it into my mouth. The two of us then headed to a nearby food stall by the road to have something first before going back home.

"Ahjumma, two bowls of ramen with cheese please!" He said as we entered the tent.

I stared at him in awe, first the candy and now ramen? How did he know I have my ramen with cheese? This sure is spooky and I couldn't hide my curiosity. "How did you know I like my ramen with cheese?"

Myungsoo looked at me and took a sip of his water. "Lucky guess? I wanted to have ramen with cheese."

I gave him an impressed look and nodded along. Lucky day for Myungsoo today? He even had the attention of the prettiest girl in school, Krystal Jung, which then reminds me of their interaction in the morning. Nudging Myungsoo, I then changed my look to from an impressed one to a smirk.

"Yah, are you interested in Krystal Jung?"

Myungsoo was drinking water at this moment and he almost choked on it. He coughed and I have to pat him on the back to stop him from coughing his lungs out.

"Don't you think you guys paint a pretty picture? The most handsome guy in school and the prettiest girl in school together as a couple. Wow." I clasped my hand together at the thought of it. They really paint a good picture since they were both good looking. Besides, I always see good looking people date other good looking people. People who are average always ended up together. Of course, there are exceptions but it's rare and I doubt something so rare will happen to the most average girl on the planet, aka me.

Myungsoo stared at me with a look of disbelief. I couldn't read him though. Did I see through him or did he think it was nonsense? However, Myungsoo had managed to avoid the question altogether. "So you think I'm the most handsome guy in school?"

This time, it was me who choked on the water. "N-no. Th-that's just the school's opinion. N-not mine." I stuttered. Even if I think he is the most handsome guy in school, I would never admit it to him.

Luckily for me, the ramen arrived and I got to eat instead of continuing the conversation of "Myungsoo being the most handsome guy in school". It was just awkward because he's one of my close friends now, if I think he is attractive, it's just weird right? Tell me I'm right.

Luckily for me, I managed to avoid the topic for as we talked about something else while we ate. In a flash, all the ramen was gone and Myungsoo had paid the ahjumma. I wanted to pay him back the money but he refused, insisting that it was his treat.

"Alright, if only you let me treat the next time!" I said.

Myungsoo shook his head and I was stumped. "I always get a free meal at your house so just let me treat you to a meal this time."

I nodded and walked along the streets as we headed back home but we came across an ice cream truck and I just couldn't resist the look of the ice cream. I immediately took Myungsoo's hand and went in front of the truck. "Omo! Ice cream!"

"Chill Jin, haven't you seen ice cream before?" Myungsoo teased me and I threatened to hit him again. He flinched and went to order. "Ahjusshi, one strawberry and one chocolate please." Again, Myungsoo paid for it. He was really being nice today. Oh and once again, he even got my favourite flavour of ice cream right. He held out both and I immediately grabbed the chocolate ice cream. "How did you know I love chocolate ice cream?"

Myungsoo shrugged, "lucky guess?"

"How can you be so lucky all day? First it was Krystal—" I stopped myself as I brought up the topic of Krystal Jung again. "Say, what you think of her?"

Myungsoo stopped in his tracks and let out a sigh. He was giving me this look that I couldn't comprehend. Did I mention I couldn’t really read this guy? So anyways, he was staring at me intently and I almost found myself shrinking and looking away from his gaze. "Will you stop mentioning her? We're just classmates."

I figured he was probably being really serious about it and I stood frozen to the ground. I have never seen Myungsoo this serious before except the first time I met him. Well, the first time wasn't exactly pleasant but this time he had an "I'm really serious" face. So either he was serious about not liking Krystal or… I caught him!

Anyways so Myungsoo saw my reaction and he broke into a gentle smile. He just laughed and ruffled my hair gently and that just eased all the tension I felt earlier. This guy, he's really hard to read. I frowned as I tried to set my hair neatly and catch up with him since he had walked away.

Unknowingly, the both of us walked and talked about other things besides Krystal and we ended up at my home. "Ommo, Myungsoo we're at my house!"

"What's wrong?"

"How are you going to go home?" I panicked because we usually walk a street further up before my house and we would part but tonight, Myungsoo had walked all the way with me back home.

"I can always walk back." He gave a smile and signalled for me to go back in. I gave him a apologetic look because now, he has to take an even longer time to get back and it's already late.

"Alright, text me when you're back home okay?"

He nodded and motioned for me to enter the house. Guess he's not going to go until I'm in the house so I waved him goodbye and went in.

"Omma, appa! I'm home!"

My mom came rushing down from her room and she gave me a relieved look on her face. "Oh, Jin you're back!" She came over to give me a hug and I was slightly taken aback. I did remember to text her saying I'll be home late right?

Probably sensing my confusion, my mom let me in on the reason she was feeling so uptight. "Woohyun came over earlier looking for you and I thought you guys will be together so I was worried about you."

"You could have just called me, omma." I gave her an assuring smile so she knows I'm fine and I really am.

She shook her head, "Woohyun said you were busy so I didn't want to disturb you."

"Don't worry mom, I was with Myungsoo in school."

She smiled at me warmly and told me to go up to my room to rest early. I gave my omma a hug and straight away went up to rest because right now, I'm dead tired. However, as I got closer to my room, I noticed the lights were on and I clearly remember it was switched off this morning. This is weird.

Once I open my door, I nearly fell to the floor due to the surprise on my bed. Literally, on my bed. He was lying there comfortably and reading a manga. As of recently, his shoes were set neatly in the corner of my room whenever he's over because he climbed up the tree and got in my room, again.

He gave me a smile and a wave as I stepped into my room, giving up on lecturing him to use the front door and I set my bag on the floor.

"I didn't want to bother your parents." Howon said as he set the manga down and shifted to one side of my bed. I gave him my signature glare because he totally deserves it. Despite wanting to be annoyed at him, I felt my heart beating faster at the image of Howon on my bed, lying down comfortably with his elbows propped up. Don't get me wrong here, it just he looks… kinda y? Oh gosh, what's wrong with me?

 

My heart was racing and I smacked him, trying to get him out of my bed. Howon raised both his hands in surrender mode and I went to get a quick shower but not before giving him one last glare. I really need to do something about my racing heart because why am I feeling this way?

I immediately took a cold shower trying to calm myself down since I was feeling hot. My heart started calming down but I still felt weird. C'mon Jung Yoojin, what's wrong with you?

Finishing my shower in a flash, I went back to my room to see Howon resting on the floor beside my bed. He had his eyes closed and I just assumed he was asleep. Just then, a message came through and I went to check, thinking it was Myungsoo letting me know that he's home but it turns out that it was Woohyun. He had sent a message saying "goodnight Jin" and I smiled to myself at this silly boy before replying him with the same thing. In fact, Myungsoo had messaged me while I was showering saying that he has reached and I texted him saying to rest well and thanked him for walking me home today.

I turned to my side and stared at Howon's beautiful side view when he suddenly opened his eyes and stared right back.

"Ommo, aren't you sleeping?"

Howon gave this smile, which I know all too well. "Awww come on Jin, your bed is huge enough for two people. I won't do anything to you I promise." Yes, he gave that look whenever he wanted something from me.

Without even waiting for me to give an answer, he made his way to squeeze into my bed and he set the covers properly for himself as well. I could feel the heat creeping up my cheeks and my heart starting to beat very fast again. I just showered!

Ignoring the weird feelings I'm feeling right now, I know Howon too well that something is wrong. "Something… happened at home?" I asked carefully because I know Howon hates talking about his family problems and trust me, despite being rich, they sure have tons of problems I'd rather not have.

Howon let out a sigh, "I feel lonely tonight Yoojin, just let me have some company please?"

Seeing him this way, I couldn't help but just nod and stop questioning him about his issues. He would tell me if he wanted to and I don't want to force it out of him. Howon then took me by surprise as he hugged me tightly while we were still on the bed. I can't even describe how I feel because the sensation was overwhelming and I felt so warm leaning against his chest.

"Thank you." He muttered under his breath and the both of us slowly drifted off to dreamland.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Here's an update! I'm sorry it took me so long because yeah (this may sound like an excuse but I really am trying to juggle many things at once so pardon me please!) Anyways, here's another chappie up and I'm so happy this story is receiving so much love yay!!!! I really love reading the comments so thank you to those who left me with such kind comments hehehe it was fun reading them and also knowing what you all really think about the story! So do leave me some for this chappie as well, I will definitely reply to them! ^^ Stay tuned for the next update alright! Jin finally has her heart beating and racing for someone????????? Love you all and have a wonderful weekend everybody! (I will try to proof read again tmr because I only proof read this chapter once and it's definitely not enough but I wanted to share this with y'all already hahaha. Pardon any typos! It will be gone the next time you read this ;))