Chapter 17

A Little Thing About Love

"Yah! Are you mad?! Are you crazy?! Have you finally gone bonkers?! What in the world were you thinking barging in like that?! Why did you even volunteer to pay for me? What is in that big head of yours?!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. "Yah! Lee Howon! Are you even listening to me?! Lee Ho—yah! Listen to me!" I shouted at him but he just kept looking away. 

 

After Howon's huge interruption, I had literally dragged him out of my class to a corner at the hallways just so I can knock some sense into him. What he just did was sure heroic but does he know the consequences? He never wanted anyone to know about his background, much less his wealth. He's been hiding it all these while so why suddenly reveal that he's loaded? I mean he doesn't spend much, he doesn't have much branded stuff, and he’s just normal. Ever since we were kids, Woohyun has always wanted to go over to his place but Howon always said that it will be inconvenient for his family. Which is true, and Woohyun never pressed further. But now he's just willing to throw everything away? I mean, the sum of money isn't small! 

 

"Relax Jin, don't get so worked up." Myungsoo said from behind. He must have followed me out when I dragged Howon away. 

 

I turned around to face Myungsoo, "Myung please, let me just have a word with this blockhead. Alone." I needed to sort things out with this rash and stupid guy.

Ugh! Lee Howon, you are such a wood head!

 

"Alright." Myungsoo said softly and left the two of us alone. 

 

Howon still wasn't looking at me and I crossed my arms. "What were you thinking Lee Howon? You want to risk exposing yourself? I thought you didn't want people to know about you being rich? Why?" I lashed it out at him. Right now, I don't know why I'm feeling more worried for him than my own problem. 

 

Howon finally looked at me. "It isn't about me now, it's about you!" He retorted. "How can I just stand there and do nothing when my best friend is about to be in deep trouble having to find money to pay back the class?" Now he's raising his voice at me. Maybe I've been a little too harsh. "I'm worried about you! Besides, they're not going to kill me or anything for being rich. They're just going to be like 'oh, look at Lee Howon, he's actually loaded!' They're not going to find out about my real background." 

 

I sighed and gave up in frustration. He's right. He's always right. "I…" I was actually lost for words because of how right he is. Nobody's going to know about his background so why am I so worked up? But of course, I can't let him pay for my mistakes. They were my mistakes; I have to be responsible for them. "I can't just let you pay for everything." I said. 

 

"Why not? You have the money?" Howon asked. 

 

I bit my lip and thought about asking my parents. They'll probably kill me. I don't have that much savings but maybe I can squeeze a little here and there from my allowance. Starving a little won't actually hurt. 

 

"I'll take care of it." Howon said and I shook my head, refusing to let him pay for me. "You can always pay me back. Just accept my help will you? I want to help you. Nobody's forcing me or anything." Howon then looked at me with those eyes… I can't even describe them. It was almost as if he was telling me to just trust him and he will solve everything. It felt like a trance and I slowly nodded. 

 

"But I'm definitely paying you back." I looked at him, feeling grateful. Why does he have to always appear in times when I need help the most? He's like a guardian angel or something. I stared at him, his perfectly shaped jawline was so defined that I felt myself wanting to reach out to touch his face. Oh my gosh, Jung Yoojin you need to maintain your thoughts. Get it out of your head! 

 

"Take your time. It's not like I urgently need the money or anything." Howon said cockily and winked, trying to make me laugh and I just let out a small laugh. It felt like ages since I'm able to laugh with such ease. 

 

The both of us then slowly walked back to class to meet Myungsoo and found that everybody else had already left except Mr Choi and Myungsoo. Looks like they were just satisfied with someone paying for them aren't they. 

 

"Howon haksaeng," Mr Choi called out to Howon. 

 

"Neh?" 

 

"You do know that by making that statement just now, it came with a load of responsibilities right?" Mr Choi said seriously. He looked like he was worried about Howon as well. "The other kids are expecting and they're upset about the missing money." 

 

Howon just nodded, "I know what I just said Mr Choi, and I will adhere to it. I will pay on Yoojin's behalf until the money is found." 

 

Mr Choi then looked at me like 'where did you find such a friend?' and I just stood there, frozen under his fierce gaze. Did I mention Mr Choi is one of the scariest teachers I've ever had? He then gave Howon another stare. 

 

"Alright then." 

 

Mr Choi then walked away, leaving just Howon, Myungsoo and me in class. 

 

"Are you really doing it?" Myungsoo asked Howon. 

 

Howon then looked at me and I looked away, afraid that I’d blush or something under his gaze. "Of course. I'm a man of my word." 

 

"Thanks for helping Jin then." Myungsoo thanked Howon for me. What for? I then turned to face Myungsoo and he was giving me a weird gaze. 

 

The three us of then headed to meet the others because we had arranged a study session before the mid terms. I then fessed up to the others about the whole Howon helping me thing and it did give some of them a shock. 

 

Sunggyu was beyond relieved. He looked like he just let a huge burden off his shoulders and let out a sigh. 

 

"Yah, why are you so worried?" I asked, seeing him so uptight about my situation. 

 

"It's not a huge sum and I was worried for you." He replied honestly and I immediately understood. Money is a touchy subject for Sunggyu and if he were in my position, he would really be lost and forced to a corner. Also, I'd be like Howon as well, I'll put in all the money I have even though I don't know where to get them but I will definitely help Sunggyu out in a heartbeat. Even if I can't help much. 

 

I then turned to Woohyun who was in a daze. "I know you're definitely worried about me but you can stop worrying now." I said to him. Woohyun was definitely all over the top considering how he even promised me he’d help me. Maybe this was his help? Come to think of it, I didn't tell Howon about my situation so how did he know? Did Woohyun tell him about it? But Woohyun doesn't know about Howon's rich family background. 

 

Woohyun then broke out of his daze. "At least it's all solved isn't it?" 

 

"Not really. The culprit has yet to be caught." I sighed. "There is still a thief out loose." 

 

Seeing Bomi in sight, I realized I didn't tell her about my problem considering how little we spoke recently. Well, I didn't want to tell anybody in the first place but somehow I did. Except for Howon and Bomi but how did Howon know? It's still a mystery. 

 

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you, Bomi. I didn't want to burden anybody. Not any of these guys but I somehow did." I said apologetically. Also, I realized that I haven't actually got to talk to her about the other day. 

 

"It's… it's fine. I'm… I'm glad it got settled." She replied quietly with her eyes darting elsewhere. Is she still avoiding me? 

 

"Are you sure Bomi-ah? How about we go grab something to eat someday? We haven't been spending much time with each other recently." I suggested, hopefully she'll take up offer so that I can finally have a talk with her. 

 

"I would love to Jin, but midterms are just next week." She's still not meeting my eyes. 

 

"Oh, right." Pabo Jin, you are such a pabo. Midterms are next week and you want hang out with friends instead? She's right. Maybe she isn't avoiding me, maybe she really needs to study. Just like how I really need to get my head buried in the books if I want to do well for midterms. 

 

Finally that afternoon, I could study in peace without thinking about the issue. Don't get me wrong, I'm not using Howon. I promise I will pay him back and I definitely will. It's just that I could finally stop worrying about how to get such large sum of money that just seemed impossible in the first place. However, something else that bugs me is how did Howon even know about my problem? I swear I didn't tell him a single word. Maybe Woohyun really did tell him? But Woohyun doesn't know he's rich. Maybe Woohyun just let Howon into the secret? 

 

Speaking of Woohyun, I then turned to look at Woohyun busy studying and focusing. It's not often you get to see Woohyun so serious without that goofy smile on his face and I found myself staring at him for a really long time until he finally looked up. His eyes widened and he gave me a look that clearly says "what?" 

 

I shook my head and went back to concentrate on my studies but of course, I didn't get a single thing. I sighed and looked up at the people studying in front of me. Bomi was so focused that I think if the building were to collapse, she'd still be in there studying away. Sunggyu is being diligent as usual and Woohyun had his rare moment of seriousness. Myungsoo is busy helping Krystal with her math outside the library. I then found myself staring at Howon. He was actually doing some studying but in a really lazy position. One hand was propped up and his chin was resting on it and the other just holding a pencil spinning it away. 

 

I felt my heart skip a beat as I stared at Howon. He was my saviour. Again. How many times must I get into trouble just for him to save me again and again? Also, I really couldn't get it out of my head. How did Howon even know about it? I kept pondering about it until suddenly— "hic" 

 

Everybody at the table was looking at me. "Hic" I froze. Scratch that, everybody in the library was looking at me. "Hic" Stupid hiccups. Now? Seriously?

 

I immediately turned to Sunggyu. "Gyu-ah, can you—hic help me—hic with this?"

 

"Okay, let's just leave the library first alright?" He then took my books and then led me out of the library before I could embarrass myself further. 

 

"Hic—" Damn, these hiccups just won't stop will they? 

 

"Try holding your breath." Sunggyu suggested and I heeded his advice. It was about twenty seconds later then I realized that the hiccups have finally stopped. I let out a sigh of relief and started to sort out the things I needed help with. 

 

"I'm glad Howon is helping you. You don't seem so stressed anymore." Sunggyu said with a smile on his face and I smiled too. How can I not smile when an Angel is in front of me? 

 

"Who says I'm not stress? There's still midterms remember?" 

 

"Who says you need to be stressed for midterms, there's a Kim Sunggyu here remember? With me around, you'll never have to worry about exams. I'll teach you." He said confidently. 

 

I snickered in delight, "aigoo, our Kim Sunggyu is confident in turning a dumb Jin into a smart Jin is he?"  

 

"You're not dumb, Jin. You just need time to grasp the concepts. You're actually pretty bright too, if only you focused just a little bit more." He pinched his thumb and index finger together, leaving only a tiny gap, just to accentuate his definition of 'a little'. 

 

I give him a pout and made a face. Looking away from Sunggyu, I found my gaze landing at a couple just a few tables away from us. It was Myungsoo and Krystal sitting side by side. Myungsoo was busy explaining to Krystal about whatever he was teaching her and Krystal was just staring at his handsome face. Is she not going to study or is she going to keep staring at him. She's totally wasting his time! Myungsoo could have joined us and studied properly instead of teaching someone who's not even listening. Why am I even upset about that? I basically sent Myungsoo over and I immediately regret being a busybody. I was the one who wasted his time. He's just probably too nice to leave until Krystal said she's understands. 

 

"Jin? Jin? Are you listening?" Sunggyu's voice brought me back. 

 

"Neh?" 

 

"Did you get what I just said?" 

 

"Errrrr…" I froze, catching a glimpse of Myungsoo and Krystal one last time. 

 

"I'll explain it again so try to follow okay?" Sunggyu said patiently and I broke my gaze. I really ought to focus because now is not the time to be thinking about somebody else. I can't waste Sunggyu's time just like how I wasted Myungsoo's time. Time to be diligent, Jin. You can do this. 

 

I was wrong. No matter how hard I try, I felt my glance kept shifting to Myungsoo and Krystal and I felt bad for Sunggyu. Here he is, taking time off his precious study time trying to teach me and here I am, trying to catch a glimpse of Myungsoo and Krystal. I'm not even interested in their relationship so why the hell am I glancing at them so frequently? Nevertheless, I tried my best to pay attention to Sunggyu. I couldn't waste his efforts. 

 

"Jin, if you're tired, we can take a break and continue later." Sunggyu said as he sensed I was not focusing. 

 

"You're right. We should take a break." I held my hands up in surrender mode. "Let's take a break from this place." 

 

"Eh?" Sunggyu was obviously confused. 

 

I stood up and started packing my books, "let's go somewhere else to study. This place is too distracting." 

 

"What's so distracting?" He asked as he stood up, following me as well. 

 

"Just the whole atmosphere." I replied vaguely and Sunggyu was still confused but I'm not going to tell him the truth. Studying is more important now. Yes, studying. 

 

I had focused so much better after we shifted place and did I mention that Sunggyu is a fantastic teacher? I'm so going to ace the midterm exams under his guidance. Oh what would I do without Kim Sunggyu? Time had passed really quickly and it was finally time to go home. Sunggyu and I then packed up and then walked back to the library. On the way back, I found myself trying to spot Myungsoo and Krystal once more but they were nowhere to be seen. Maybe Krystal had already left? 

 

It was until we walked into the library that I saw Myungsoo there, waiting with the others. So Krystal had really left. He gave me a small nod of acknowledgement and I nodded back. At least he's not angry with me for wasting his time right? Oh gosh, I am a horrible friend. How can I jeopardize his studies like that? I decided that I should apologize to him.

 

Once we got out of the library, I immediately walked up to Myungsoo. 

 

"Myung," I started. "I'm sorry." 

 

Myungsoo gave his classic blank look, that look that makes all the girls swoon at him. "For?" 

 

"For—" 

 

I was cut off when an arm came flying in my direction and caught my head in a head lock. 

 

"Finally out of that stuffy place, oh gosh." Woohyun let out a sigh of relief as he head locked me. I was struggling to get out of his strong grip and I realized that Woohyun has figured out how to stop me from elbowing him in the gut. Once bitten twice shy is he? "I swear I was about to just give up and collapse in that stuffy library. Surrounded by people who studies all day is not my thing, I'd rather be in the basketball court." 

 

I was grunting and trying to free myself when suddenly Howon came to the rescue. "Yah, how dare you put Jin in a head lock?" He then pried Woohyun away from me. 

 

"Thank you." I said sarcastically to Woohyun but I was caught in yet another headlock. 

 

"I should be the one!" Howon said and I grunted even more. Come on, we are eighteen this year! Grow up a bit! I might karate chop both Howon and Woohyun's hands at this rate. However, having Howon so close to me isn't such a good thing because I could feel the heat creepy up my cheeks, which makes me struggle even harder to break free in case any of them caught me blushing. 

 

"Yah yah, stop torturing Jin, look at how red her face has become. She needs to breathe." Myungsoo said and I swear I blushed even harder. At least the others thought I was red and breathless because of the headlock right? I looked at Bomi to see her reaction but she wasn't giving any. She seemed to be in deep thought instead. 

 

Sunggyu then chuckled as we walked out of school, "yeah, let her have some breather. She finally stopped worrying about her problem so let her relax a little!" Yes, way to go Sunggyu! I really need the others to be just a little more like Sunggyu. Just a teeny tiny little bit and my life would be so much easier. However, speaking of my once troubling problem, the thought about how Howon had got to know about it still bothers me. As usual, I couldn't hide my curiosity any longer and I decided to ask him straight. 

 

"Yah, Lee Howon, I didn't tell you about my problem so how did you even know about it?" 

 

Howon immediately straighten up and avoided my gaze. He looked somewhere else and I could tell from his gaze that he was contemplating if he should tell me. 

 

"I err… Hyuna told me about it." He confessed. 

 

I froze. All the smile from my face was wiped away with just that one name. Hyuna. Oh I hate myself for feeling this way. 

 

"Oh." That was all I could manage out. I mentally slapped myself for saying something so stupid. I mean of all things I could have said, I chose to say 'oh'? A million thoughts were running through my head now. So the both of them did continue to talk after that whole kissing incident. What does this mean now? Are they dating? Does he feel anything for her? Does Howon like Hyuna as much as she likes him? Oh my gosh, if he does then why do I do? I suddenly regretted asking him about how he came to know things. I regret it a whole lot because I feel quite horrible now, knowing that Howon and Hyuna are still on good terms. 

 

"Hey," Howon said as he walked next to me. "Hyuna's family isn't that well off so that's why she was upset about the missing money. She didn't mean to lash it out at you."

 

So now he's defending her? I felt like being straightforward and ask if they are dating but I couldn't bring myself to. What if the answer isn't what I want to hear? I may end up being the one hurting instead. 

 

"That doesn't mean she could lash it out at Jin." Myungsoo defended me as he walked next to me by my other side. 

 

"I know." Howon said with a genuine expression. His usual playfulness was gone and it was replaced with a very serious and genuine expression. "I know." He repeated and he looked at me straight in the eye. Our eyes met and I and quickly looked away before things got awkward or I start blushing again for no good reason. 

 

However, during the walk back home, my mind kept wondering back to when Howon told me it was Hyuna who told him about my problem. It would be a lie to say I wasn't disturbed. Hyuna had said those mean things to me so did she perhaps say them to Howon as well? Also, the one thing that kept bugging me was just what exactly is their relationship? 

 

Because the mid terms were just next week, the guys did not invite themselves over to my house today since they had to study. I noticed that Bomi was being unusually quiet today as well. She has always been quiet but now that she's not speaking much to me, she's also not speaking much to the others. Just generally. Usually she would be talking to Sunggyu or Woohyun unless the latter is busy disturbing me. I promised myself that after the midterms, I am going to make up with her. In order to do so, I have to find out what's wrong as well. 

 

When I finally got home, I had a nice dinner with just my parents and I and after that I tried to study once again but it was really hard to do so. Without Sunggyu next to me, I had a hard time focusing. Of course, my mind then wandered to this afternoon and it naturally thought about the whole Howon and Hyuna thing again. 

 

I was so frustrated with myself for constantly thinking about them that I just let out a grunt, which sounded very much like "uuuggghghhghhgh". Unable to take it anymore, I decided to text Myungsoo about it. 

 

So Howon is still on talking terms with Hyuna. What does that mean? 

 

I then put my phone down and went back to my books but my phone vibrated almost the instant I put it down. Fumbling with my phone, I was so nervous about it that I almost dropped my phone on the ground. 

 

They could still be friends. 

 

"Heol." I muttered out. How can they still be friends when they basically kissed?! 

 

But they kissed. 

 

I reminded Myungsoo of that horrifying that day that I don't really want to remember. I waited a little longer and there was still no reply. 

 

What if he likes her too? 

 

I sent another text to Myungsoo, to which he replied the next instant. 

 

Then they would have gotten together but they aren't. 

 

I groaned yet again. He's right. If Howon likes Hyuna as well, the both of them would have just become the school's hottest couple considering both their popularity but they aren't. I was thinking about what to reply Myungsoo when he suddenly called me and I picked up. Maybe it was easier to just talk about it through a phone call. I headed to the corner of my room and sat there as I spoke to him. 

 

"You got to stop worrying about that Jin. From what I see, I don't think they're together." He reassured me over the phone. 

 

"But… but that doesn't mean he doesn't like her right? What if he does?" I asked, thinking about all the possibilities and I swear that possibility that I just mentioned made me want to cry. I hiked up my knees and curled up in a corner of my room. 

 

"You know him best." He replied shortly and I frowned. It is true that Howon is my oldest friend and I am his as well. He knows me the best but do I really know him the best? I can't even tell if he likes Hyuna or not. What if… what if he offered to pay because of Hyuna? He even mentioned that Hyuna's family isn’t that well off. That thought just made me shudder and I felt myself close to tears. 

 

"I don't know…" I cried, trying to hold back my sobs because Myungsoo was still on the line. "What if he did it for her?" I managed out a squeak and I covered my mouth to prevent the sobs from coming out too obviously. 

 

"It could be for you too…" The background got noisy from the other end of the line and Myungsoo's words faded away. 

 

"Yeah, but it could be for her too. He mentioned that her family is not well off so he could have done it to help her. Why would he help me?" At this point in time, I couldn't hold it in anymore and I was crying. 

 

"You're his best friend Jin." The background got noisier or maybe Myungsoo was just panting. I could literally hear his every breath through the phone. 

 

I couldn't form out any words and I just kept crying over the phone. 

 

And then all of a sudden, Myungsoo started singing me a song over the phone. 

 

Jogeum tteollineun mameun gamchugo

Geunyang ne sonman kkok japgo dalligo sipeora
Mak ssodajineun chorokbisoge urin deo singgeureowojyeo
Neul ai gatdeon cheoreopgiman haetdeon naega deo keobeorin geon nareul mideojun
Ne nunbit hana, hanbeonui miso
Geugeollo chungbunhaetdago


I want to hide my slightly nervous heart

And I want to firmly hold your hand and run

We become fresher in the pouring green rain

I used to be like a child, used to be immature

But the reason I grew up is because of your eyes that believed in me, your one smile

That was enough for me

The wind tells me that the world is rough

But if things stay like this, I think it will be alright

 

Shinee — Green Rain

 

Myungsoo's voice was shaky and he sounded out of breath but I sat there, at the corner of my room, burying my head in between my knees and I cried as he sang my favourite Shinee song.

 

I am crying because of my feelings for Howon. I am crying because my feelings may be one sided. I am crying because he is my best friend. 


"Don't cry." Myungsoo said but this time, the background was quieter. 

 

A few seconds later, there was a knock on the front door and my mom answered it. Whoever it was, I didn't hear my mom say their name but she told the visitor that I'm upstairs. It must be one of the guys. I immediately tried to sort myself out and wiped away my tears until I saw who the visitor was. 


It was Myungsoo. With his phone in one hand, he was panting and beads of perspiration were forming on his forehead. He must have run over. 


Without saying a word, he came up to me and pulled me close to him, giving me a hug as I rested my chin on his shoulders. He was patting my back, as though he was soothing a crying baby. I was literally the giant baby in his arms. 


It took me a while to finally calm down and stop with all the crying. The both of us were sitting side by side on my room floor and I was trying not to start the waterworks all over again. Myungsoo then gave me a look, thinking if he should say anything when I'm in this state. 


"Do you trust me?" Myungsoo suddenly asked out of nowhere. 

 

"Are you crazy?" I sniffed. "Of course I do, you're my friend." 

 

"Then believe in me." 

 

I looked up at Myungsoo's handsome face and tried to figure out what is he talking about. 

 

"Trusting me and believing in me are two different things. When you trust someone, you know that that person is going to deliver results. That they're not going to disappoint and that they're reliable. That's trust. When you believe in someone, you believe in them achieving things that aren't certain. You have faith in them." Myungsoo paused to see my reaction but I was confused by his sudden wise moment. "So believe in me, when I say that Howon did it for you. He offered to pay because of you. Believe in it Jin, because you are his best friend. I'm not certain, but I want you to believe in it. And hopefully that will make you feel better. Trust me on that." 

 

I stared back at Myungsoo. His way of comforting people sure is unique but it was oddly comforting. I nodded and Myungsoo gave me a small smile. 

 

Just then, my phone vibrated and I reached out to grab it. The message that came through shocked me because it was from someone I hardly ever speak to except recently. Technically, I didn't speak to her, she was just mad at me and shouting at me. It was Kim Hyuna. 

 

Hi Yoojin, Hyuna here. I'm really sorry for my rude behavior previously and I didn't mean to take things out on you when it's not your fault the money got stolen. I'm sorry. 

 

I was shocked from the message obviously, and I showed it to Myungsoo. 

 

As I was showing Myungsoo the text, another text came through. 

 

"Oh, it's from Howon." Myungsoo said and I immediately checked. 

 

I hope Hyuna has apologized to you already. If she hasn't, let me know. I won't let her say mean things to my best friend ;) I also hope you're not still mad at me for doing this. You're my best friend. I can't let you suffer all that alone. That's what best friends are for. 

 

I smiled at the text and found my eyes filled with tears again. This time, tears of joy. 

 

"I told you to believe in me right?" Myungsoo said and I lightly slapped him. He smiled back and nudged me lightly. 

 

"Thank you." I whispered softly to Myungsoo, for comforting me at a time like this, when he has to study for the exams as well. He then put an arm around me and patted me on the shoulders. 

 

Did I mention that I'm ever grateful for this friend next to me? Not just Myungsoo, I'm grateful for all my friends. Even Howon. Looks like I got worried and stressed out for nothing.

 

So he really did do it for me. As a best friend. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


New chappie before the week begins!!! (for me at least) I'm sorry it took me so long, I swear I was supposed to upload this earlier but y'know some things just got in the way and I have to put school first (ugh I'm not ready for a new week of school noooooooo) 

I hope this chapter clears up everybody's question of how Howon knew about Jin's plight! As for Bomi... Jin says it'll have to wait till exams are over becuase she needs to study hard and pass yeah hahahaha. Okay, let me know what you guys think about this chapter in the comments and I will reply to every single one of them hehehe. 

Oh, and the Shinee song is really my fav shinee song ever hahaha I love it, it brings me back to the time when I used to be really crazy over Shinee hahaha so do take a listen if you guys don't know the song. (it's not a title track or anything, in fact it's from some show's OST I think. But do take a listen! It's really good.) 

Have a great week my friends and I will see you guys when I upload the next chapter hahaha ciao! ~