Chapter 8

A Little Thing About Love

School starts tomorrow and the most upsetting thing about it is that none of my best friends are going to be in the same class as me. None. I was literally crying and begging for my class to be changed once we got allocated our classes because we all ended up in different classes. In senior year, the school had split us into classes according to our intelligence. I know I’m average in terms of my grades but the others were more than average. It was just not fair. How is it that the others are better at studies than I am when I’m average? How am I the average now? More like the worst among my friends.

 

Needless to say, our top student Kim Sunggyu was placed in the best class and Yoon Bomi was in the second best class. She was pretty smart as well. Woohyun and Howon on the other hand weren’t that bad but they were better than me too. Woohyun was in the third best class and Howon was in the class just before mine. It wasn’t because Howon was dumb or anything. Howon is actually pretty smart but he’s just lazy. I guess he spent too much time dancing and playing last year that his grades weren’t that good to be placed in a better class.

 

I was placed in the sixth class, just nice right smack in the middle of the eleven classes in total. See, I never escape from the average. I think that may be my talent. To be the jack of all trades but master of none. It wasn’t easy to be so average at everything you know. It wasn’t easy.

 

The four of us excluding Bomi had met up to go the school together that morning. We actually have been going to school together everyday since we’ve met but sadly for Bomi, her house wasn’t so near hence we could only meet her halfway.

 

“Yah, Yoon Bomi, we’re going to be seniors this year, aren’t you excited?” I squealed as I took light steps into school. New year, new me. This is going to be a fresh start especially without my best friends in the same class.

 

Bomi gave a shrug, “it feels pretty much the same.” I pouted at her response. Maybe because all smart people were smart all along and the college entrance test were going to be a breeze for them.

 

“Jin-ah, it’s already senior year so don’t fool around but pay attention in class okay?” A gentle voice said. I turned to Sunggyu with the pout on my face still there.

 

“I’m not ready to study.” I faked a cry when Howon used his hand to cover up my mouth.

 

He gave me this judging look, so typical of him. “You’re never ready to study anyways.” He uncovered my mouth and Woohyun took his place.

 

“Jin, you can do this. Fighting!” He gave me a wink and a ‘fighting’ pose. Oh, that greasy Nam Wooyun. He would be a very charming guy if I weren’t his best friend. However, those charms don’t work on me.

 

As we parted in the hallways to our new class, I actually felt a little excited about senior year despite the challenges. There’s going to be new friends, new classmates, new relationships and possibly a new love? I shook that last thought away because the guys in my year are all hopeless. Just take a look around and you’ll get what I mean. Look at Howon and Woohyun, they’re classic examples. Well, except for Sunggyu maybe. He was smart, kind and gentle. Sunggyu was the best but he is my best friend. Dating him would be weird.

 

I finally reached my new class and I took a step in. Everybody turned to stare at me and I stood frozen in my place. “This is going to be my new class for a year, somehow I am going to survive this year.” I muttered to myself as I took a seat at the back of the classroom.

 

Sitting in front of me were two girls I recognize from middle school. We had somehow known each other but never really spoken to each other before. It was strange seeing the two of them in the same class but I guess you’ll always have to start somewhere right? I couldn’t be alone forever in this class just because my besties weren’t next to me.

 

“Hey, do you guys know anybody else in our class?” I asked meekly. I didn’t want to come off as too strong right at the start, for I am afraid that I will scare the two away.

 

The two girls turned around and I introduced myself. Sitting directly in front of me was Kim Jieun and next to her was Yoo Jooyeon. They looked like they were happy to find another familiar face in class and we started speculating about who’s going to be in the class and who’s not. As the other students were strolling in, we kept getting shocked by who was really in our class. High school isn’t that big anyways, somehow in one way or another, you would have heard or seen that particular person. Unless the person is a really quiet and low-key one, then I guess you really wouldn’t know.

 

Turns out, two of the school beauties were in my class as well. Truthfully, they really are pretty. Even I found myself staring at them as they sashayed into the classroom with elegance. Kim Hyuna and Krystal Jung. The two seemed like good friends as well as they sat next to each other and chatted happily before classes start.

 

“Whoa, the two of them are so pretty I wish I could have half their beauty.” Jieun stared at the both of them in awe as she expressed her jealousy. I wish I could be as beautiful too, she’s not the only one.

 

“Yah,” Jooyeon nudged Jieun, “Kyrstal’s unnie, Jessica Jung, had pretty good academic results and was even the top of her class, looks like she may not be as smart as her sister.”

 

The three of us laughed at that useless piece of gossip but I must say, they made me feel just a little more comfortable in this unknown environment. I think we’re going to get along well.

 

It was just then as we finished gossiping about the pretty girls in our class that our homeroom teacher had walked in. with my luck, I should have guessed who it would be. It was Mr Choi, the teacher who loves picking on me. Just my luck right?

 

Mr Choi hit the board a few times, signaling for the class to keep quiet. “Good mornings students, it’s the first day of school and we have a new transfer student in our class so let’s welcome him!”

 

The word ‘him’ had probably caught a lot of the girl’s attention as we waited for the new student to walk in. I was anticipating too, but when he stepped in, I immediately froze like a block of ice. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t breathe.

 

“This can’t be…” I muttered under my breath.

 

There were gasps everywhere because the new the transfer student that just stepped into our class was handsome. Way to handsome for his own good. He was basically glowing as he walked in. It was the guy I had met the other day while I was rushing to hand Woohyun his shoes. It was that handsome, no, rude stranger whose brother I knocked the ice cream off.

 

It wouldn’t be so bad if he didn’t recognize me so I tried to hide my face behind Jieun and Jooyeon but I noticed something else. The seat beside me was empty. I’m so dead.

 

“Go ahead and introduce yourself.”

 

The rude stranger gave a bow and smiled, causing all the girls to squeal in delight because he had dimples. Ugh, why does he have to look so good? Who cares anyways, he was so rude the other day.

 

“My name is Kim Myungsoo and I hope to have a nice year with you all.”

 

“Alright Myungsoo, there’s just one empty seat that’s left for you so go ahead and sit beside Yoojin.” Mr Choi said.

 

The smile on the new student’s face disappeared when he saw my face and that was when I knew that he’d recognize me as well. Could this day get any worse?

 

“Jung Yoojin! Since this is Kim Myungsoo’s first day in school and considering that you’re his new table partner, I want you to show him around!” Well, it just did.

 

“But—”

 

Mr Choi gave me a glare, silencing me and I knew I couldn’t refute him. He was ultimately a teacher and I had to be polite.

 

“Neh…” I mumbled and I looked down because Kim Myungsoo was coming towards me and how I wish I could hide in a hole right now because of his deadly glare. I did apologize to him and his brother didn’t I?

 

He sat down quietly in his seat but Jieun and Jooyeon immediately turned to talk to him. Maybe those two were boy crazy. Kim Myungsoo then turned to me, without a smile on his face, “so we meet again?”

 

I didn’t dare look into his eye maybe because I was slightly, just slightly, guilty about being mean to him since I was the one at fault when I knocked over the ice cream. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I go to school here now.”

 

“Why did you transfer over?”

 

“My family moved.”

 

“Why did they move?”
 

“They wanted to.”

 

I gave him an annoyed look because our conversation wasn’t going anywhere. Ugh, it’s just impossible to converse with him. Sure, he may be handsome but I’m not going to let him go easily for being so rude that day, accusing me of being insincere. Jung Yoojin is never insincere because she puts her sincerity in all that she does.

 

“The school’s not that big. You just need to know where the cafeteria and our class is in and that’s all.” I said nonchalantly. I didn’t really want to show him around because I have better things to do than that. The school is really not that big anyways, it’s not that hard to find a place and he’ll be able to figure it out by himself.

 

“I don’t expect you to give me a tour either.” He said quietly.

 

Our conversation ended there as the first lesson of the new school year started.

 

The lunch bell rang after what seemed like eons and I was so glad to finally be free from this torture. Even though it’s just lunch but lunchtime is always precious.

 

“I’ll bring you to the cafeteria and then you’re on your own.” I said to Myungsoo as I stood up.

 

“Let’s go have lunch together!” Jieun turned around and spoke to the both of us.

 

I gave her a polite smile because I wasn’t going to be able to have lunch with them. “I’m sorry I can’t! But you guys can go ahead!” I pointed to Myungsoo and the other two. He gave me a crazy look, which I didn’t even know why since it was a good chance to make new friends anyway. Through lunch and bond through food. “Let’s go!”

 

While queuing up for the food, I told Myungsoo exactly how the tradition is like in our school so that he doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb. The practices in each school were pretty much the same but it wouldn’t hurt to just let him know. After getting my tray of food, I pointed out to him which tables were the ‘untouchable’ ones and which were alright. I had even found a place for him to sit. “Enjoy your lunch, the kimchi they serve is really good.” I sighed because my lunch duty was done. Time to go and find my friends.

 

We had a fixed table, which we sat there often and thanks to Howon’s rising popularity, we managed to keep the table to ourselves. I waved at my friends who were already sitting there and Howon was already eating without me. What a friend.

 

“Guys, you’ll never know what happened to me today.” I spoke as I scooped a mouthful of rice. “So I bumped into this rude stranger the other day and it turns out, he’s a transfer student and he’s my table partner.”

 

Woohyun nearly chocked on his rice and I had to pat his back for him. “Of all places to sit, he sat next to you? What a coincidence isn’t it? It was as though the Lee Company’s only son happened to be in our school, of all schools in Korea.”

 

This time, Howon was the one who choked and I froze.

 

“I’m just saying that it can’t be that coincidental can it? I mean, the entire South Korea is huge, he can’t possibly in our school. Just like how a random stranger you met turns out to be your new table mate.” Woohyun continued.

 

“Somehow the only empty seat was the one next to mine.” I pouted. It wasn’t my fault that Myungsoo had to sit next to me, it was just a huge coincidence. I loosened my stiff body after Woohyun’s terrible analogy of the Lee Company’s son because he is just sitting right in front of me and nobody could know about this secret. “It somehow just turned out that way.”

 

“Talk about fate.” Howon breathed out.

 

The reason why nobody knew about Howon’s family background is because his father did not want him to be exposed to the media or the world. He wanted his son to live a normal life without the burden of the media and the attention that may end up ruining his life.

 

From the corner of my eye, I could see Myungsoo right where I sat him down just now. Apparently, Jieun and Jooyeon were nowhere to be seen. He was eating all alone. “There, that’s my new table mate.” I told the others.

 

“He’s pretty good looking.” Howon said and I smacked him on the head. He didn’t even say Jongin oppa was handsome and he said that Myungsoo is? This is ridiculous.

 

“Why don’t you invite him to sit with us? He looks so lonely eating alone.” Bomi spoke up and I looked at her as though she was crazy. I stared back at Myungsoo eating all along and I suddenly felt bad. It’s his first day here and I’m supposed to show him around but I was shrinking my responsibilities. Feeling bad, I stood up, wanting to go ask him to sit with us but then as I walked to his table, other girls from our class had already gone to sit with him. Myungsoo gave an awkward smile as he ate in silence while the other girls kept talking. He looked like he was pretty uncomfortable in the situation but who could blame him? He was good looking and all the other girls wanted to be his friend.

 

I gave up on getting him to sit with us but I suddenly thought of something else. Even though we didn’t get off a good start, I should still be nice to him since it’s his first day. I then ran to my locker to grab my sketchbook and a pen before I returned to the cafeteria.

 

“Jin, where did you go?” Woohyun asked me immediately when I return.

 

“To do some good.” I replied casually as I started drawing.

 

Sunggyu leaned over to see what I was drawing but he was more concerned about me not finishing my lunch. “Why don’t you eat first then draw?”

 

“It’s okay. I’m full. You guys can have my lunch.”

 

“Really?!” I could tell from his tone that Howon was really happy about getting an extra serving of food. Aish, that pig. It hasn’t been a minute and he had completely taken over my food tray.

 

When lunch was done, I went back to class and I saw Myungsoo sitting there quietly. Apparently, he had left the cafeteria earlier. “How was your lunch with new friends? I saw them sitting at your table.” I asked as I sat down next to him.

 

“Was that their table?” He pointed to the other girls in class who had sat with him for lunch today. “Don’t leave me alone with them again please.” He pleaded and I laughed.

 

“Were they pestering you?” I made fun of him.

 

He gave me this glare and an annoyed look that shut me up and I turned to face the front. Okay, maybe my first impression of him wasn’t that great but everyone deserves a second chance right.

 

“Maybe… you could sit with us for lunch tomorrow. If you want, I mean. Until you find your own group of friends.” I realized I was blabbering in front of him until I stopped myself.

 

Myungsoo just stared at me in silence.

 

I was flustered because he was quite a strange guy. It’s like trying to communicate with an alien you know, oh wait, we don’t communicate with aliens. “There are guys in my group of friends. You’ll be able to get along with them.” I reassured him.

 

“Thanks.” He gave me a small smile but his dimple was visible. He was sure one hella good looking guy.

 

The school bell finally rang and it marked the end of the day. I was so ecstatic because I don’t think I could sit on that chair any longer, listening to the most boring teachers ever. I guess school and I were just not meant to be. Myungsoo was packing his books until I remembered the thing I drew during lunch. “Hey, I don’t want to make it sound like I’m shrinking my responsibilities but here.” I handed him my sketch.

 

“What’s this?”

 

“It’s a map of the school. It’s based on my memory anyway but I highlighted the important places you need to know so give yourself a tour around the school. It’s not that big really. If you’re lost to the extent where there’s nobody and it’s secluded, call me.” I went and write my number down on the piece of paper. “I don’t want Mr Choi to be picking on me again so do familiarize yourself with the school and if he ever asks, just say I gave you a tour.” I pointed to the map I drew. That was the least I could do right? At least I sort of gave him a tour. I’m not being totally irresponsible.

 

He stared at the map and muttered out a word that probably meant “thanks” and I left the class to find my friends.

 

Maybe the both of us just started off at the wrong foot and I should give him a second chance. He doesn’t seem all that rude now that I met him a second time. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No prize for guessing who's the mysterious guy Yoojin bumped into hahahahaha because who else could be such handsome? And yes finally FINALLY Myungsoo appears!!! Thanks for waiting patiently for his grand appearance but that's not the end yet hohoho ;) Do let me know what you guys think and now that senior year officially starts, I wonder what's going to happen??? ;) Thank you guys for the constant support and love and of course, I love you guys too!! ^^