Chapter 16

A Little Thing About Love

That night, I couldn't sleep well. I couldn't even bring myself to sleep as well because of all that had happened. Also, Woohyun had texted me once again, asking if I was alright and I told him I was just tired. Tired, but I couldn't sleep. This feeling is actually pretty horrible.

The next day, I went to school in that gloomy state and even though my friends were around me, I didn't feel like talking because… you know it. What if I really have to pay for everything? How am I supposed to pay it back?

Thankfully, Myungsoo is being a very supportive friend. He kept reassuring me that it'll be okay and we should just tell our homeroom teacher. "It'll be fine. Don't worry about it okay, we'll figure something out." He took my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. I smiled back but my nerves were getting to me. The both of us had made our way to the teacher's office to find Mr Choi and report this matter to him.

We stood there, like students who were being punished as Mr Choi continued writing on whatever it was that I didn't see clearly. I shifted nervously on my heels and kept my hands at the back. Myungsoo was standing next to me in a calm manner. I don't know how is he so calm but maybe because it didn't happen to him, it happened to me.

"Mr Choi… I need to report something." I spoke softly.

Mr Choi didn't say anything but continued writing and nodded, signalling for us to continue.

"The… the funds… that I collected… it…" It was like a cat got my tongue and I couldn't say it out.

"Somebody stole the miscellaneous funds for our grad trip that Yoojin collected." Myungsoo finished my sentence for me and I looked at him with gratitude.

Mr Choi stopped writing immediately and turned to face us. From the look of his face, I thought he was going to give us a scolding or just rage at us or something but he didn't.

"Give me the details. I will get to the bottom of this." Mr Choi looked at us with conviction. I immediately felt myself sigh in relief because I thought I was going to get a scolding by the teacher who already hates my guts but it turns out, I was wrong.

Myungsoo and I then relayed everything to him, from when we left class and when we realized it was missing. Myungsoo had been there with me the whole time so it's definitely not him. Also, besides the people in our class, nobody else knows I collected our grad trip fund right? How would they know which bag to search? Or did they search the entire class?

Mr Choi then dismissed us and told us to get back to our classes and he will take disciplinary action and try to find out who's the culprit. Recovering the money could be a problem, he said but the school will figure something out until then.

"See? I told you it’d be fine. Don't worry, Mr Choi will get to the bottom of this." Myungsoo said as he sat down next to me in our seats.

I just shook my head in disbelief. "Who would do such a thing?" Obviously, I was hurt. Whoever who had decided to do this… yeah, you got me real bad because I am feeling pretty horrible about myself right now. I sighed deeply and buried my head in my arms on the table and I could feel Myungsoo patting my back softly.

During lunch, I was gloomy as well. I had no appetite. I guess even the others could tell something was wrong but I didn't want to bother them with my problem. Sunggyu kept asking if I was okay and I just nodded politely. I definitely do not want Sunggyu to know. I don't want him to be worried of my silly problem when he has his own to worry about. I guess I'm just being overprotective of Sunggyu but I couldn't help it. He is the last person I would want to tell. That's just how much I want to protect Sunggyu.

Anyways, the whole day was just plain awful. It was just bad, bad and bad. Right before we end off this looooong day in school, Mr Choi had come into class before dismissal for some admin time. He looked strict, as usual but he had a different gaze in his eyes. As though he was scanning us for the culprit of the missing class fund.

"It was reported that the miscellaneous funds for the grad trip has been stolen." Mr Choi started and there was whispering going around. By that time, everybody had known something was wrong with the class funds but nobody said anything about stealing.

"I need you all to take out everything from your bags and the disciplinary committee will do a check." He nodded to the discipline master standing outside, motioning for him to come in. The whole class froze and everybody was looking at each other. This is making me sick I swear. I believe I saw some of my classmates giving me glares as well.

We stood outside the class, with our bags cleared and all our stuff on the table. Mr Choi and the discipline master were going through everything even after school has ended but we were all forced to stay behind. Hyuna then walked to me with Krystal behind her and she immediately lashed it out at me.

"Why didn't you take good care of the money? How could you let this happen? As the class secretary, you should have been really careful about keeping the money safe, how could you let this sort of thing happen?! If we're all going to pay again, I'm definitely not paying a single cent because you couldn't take care of the money!" Hyuna scolded me right then and there where everybody was looking. Krystal was trying to stop her and pulling her back but Hyuna was obviously furious. I looked down in guilt because it is my fault for not taking good care of the money in question. She was right. I should've been more careful.

Myungsoo then put a protective hand in front of me and pushed me to his back. "Stop blaming it on her. She's already feeling bad as it is. Nobody wanted this to happen so just stop blaming on her. Who else but our class knows she's the secretary? It could very well be anyone of us so don't just blame everything on her." He raised his voice and everybody shut up. Including Hyuna. She was fuming mad and she just stomped off with Krystal following behind trying to soothe her anger. Krystal even gave Myungsoo and I an apologetic look before she followed after Hyuna. Maybe she's just having a bad day. Just like me.

After Mr Choi and the discipline master was done with checking, they dismissed us, saying that this is a very serious case and that if it was anyone of us who took the money, we should own up to it and the punishment will be light. Everybody stayed silent and Mr Choi warned us once again that this is a very serious offense and if needed, the police would be called. We were then dismissed and I walked out of class dejectedly.

"Hey, it'll be fine. Don't worry alright." Myungsoo said as he walked next to me and I gave him a small smile. Thank god for Myungsoo who is keeping my sanity or I would have gone crazy. Sometimes, he can be mean but in these times of seriousness, he's very supportive.

The six of us had actually planned to study in the library today before the incident even happen. Mid terms were approaching fast and I needed to buck up on my studies as well. There are just so many things to do and I'm completely stressed out by the incident that happened to me. What is wrong with my luck, seriously?

Woohyun, Sunggyu and Howon were sitting opposite me whereas Bomi and Myungsoo were sitting next to me. The library was quiet, everybody was studying but as I stared at my biology textbook, nothing seems to be going into my head. I read and reread the same page over and over and I felt like pulling all my hair out. Looking across, Woohyun and Sunggyu were studying diligently. In fact, all of them were studying diligently. Except for me. And Howon. Howon was busy using his phone and texting away. He looked so engrossed as he typed away in his phone, not bothering about his math book right in front of him. Maybe he was texting Hyuna. Argh, the thought about Hyuna just irks me. She was pretty, talented, perfect for Howon. And here I am, clumsy, untalented and a loser for losing all that money. On top of that, I'm not even pretty to begin with.

I turned to my left and took a glance at Bomi. She looked back at me but broke eye contact and continued studying. I realized that it had been some time and I still haven't gotten to speak to her about that day I saw her with Woohyun. She has been avoiding me ever since that day.

"Bomi-ah, wanna go and take a break?" I tried my luck, hoping that this time, I'll finally be able to have a talk with her.

"I still have a lot of chapters to go through Jin, so I guess I'll skip that break." She kept her eyes glued to the book in front of her. I frowned. I can't understand my biology and Bomi doesn't want to talk to me, plus I have that problem with the missing money. I sighed in frustration and buried my head in my books.

After about a minute or so, I realized that yes, I may probably be in debt because I will have no money to pay for the entire class as I'm responsible for it, and yes, Bomi may not want to talk to me about anything right now but it's okay right? I just have to give her time. Maybe she'll come round and talk to me about her problems. However, one thing I can set right is to study well for my midterms so yes, I am going to at least do well for my exams. I immediately took my book and went over to Sunggyu, probably the smartest kid in the entire school, to ask him for help.

Sunggyu smiled at me and suggested that we head outside if he was going to teach me and I agreed. The others just looked at us leaving the library and of course, the ever curious Woohyun had asked where we're heading.

"I'm not kidnapping her, relax." Sunggyu said and the both of us went outside the library for some private tutoring.

As we sat down, I set the book straight and flipped to the parts I wasn't sure about but Sunggyu had stopped me.

"Are you okay Jin? You look tired and so worn out. Is there something wrong?"

I stopped in my tracks and stared at Sunggyu, the last person that I wanted to tell my 'financial' problems to. I don't want to burden him with my own problems when he has loads on his own.

"Nothing, I'm fine. Really." I forced out a smile but I forgot who I was dealing with. Kim Sunggyu was the best at faking smiles even though I could tell one when I see one. He went through so much more than me and he had to put up a strong front all the time. He gave me this stare that made me feel so guilty that I just wanted to blurt everything out to him but I really didn't want to burden my best friend. I was having an internal war.

"It's okay you know, you can always tell me everything. How is it fair when I tell you everything but you don't tell me anything?" Sunggyu said. He was guilt tripping me, I know, trying to make me crack and I was this close to keeping my own promise to myself. Just this close, until I buckled. I told him.

I was on the verge of crying as I told him about the missing class fund and about my studies as well. I didn't tell him about Bomi because I may have been wrong and I didn't want to confirm anything without talking to her first. Sunggyu just sat there and listened to my sad story and he sure is an amazing listener.

"I am so sorry Jin, that this has to happen to you." He said apologetically. "The school will get to the bottom of this okay. In the meantime, keep your head up high because you did your best in securing the money. You can't expect yourself to be holding onto that huge sum twenty-four seven right? You did your best." Sunggyu smiled and I smiled back. He just knows what to say to make me feel all okay.

"While I can't really help you much with that, I can help you with your studies instead. Tell me what you don't understand." Sunggyu said as he flipped my biology textbook and I gave him yet another grateful smile. For once, the tables have turned. It used to be me comforting Sunggyu and here he is, comforting me instead. So much for Sunggyu being the last person I wanted to tell so as not to burden him but look at us right now, he's the first person I told. Besides Myungsoo but Myungsoo doesn't count.

After what seem like hours, we were finally done. Sunggyu was very very helpful because I immediately understood the entire chapter after a crash course from him. "You are really jjang!" I gave him a thumbs up after he helped me with so much, especially since I am feeling so stressed out. "Thanks Gyu, you really are the best." I said as I pack up my books and get ready to head back into the library to find the others.

Sunggyu gave me his charming smile, "you do know that I will help you with anything right? You just need to ask."

"And you do know that I wouldn't want to bother you right?"

"Jin, you have helped me so many in ways you may not even know, it's only right for me to offer my help too." Sunggyu gave me a grateful smile and I knew he meant things between his father and him. Helping him keep his secret, offering him a place to stay when he didn't want to go home, those are small things that I'm very willing to help, as long as he is safe and happy.

"He's not… he's not hurting you anymore, is he?" I asked carefully. This is one topic I guess Sunggyu would be sensitive about.

Sunggyu looked down but he kept a smile on his face. "I learned how to protect myself now."

I reached out my hand to give him a pat on his shoulders, feeling worried about him. He didn't say his father had stopped and so I got worried.

"My house welcomes you anytime you know. And you can always tell me anything."

"Thanks Jin."

--

When I was finally home, I went to take a hot shower just to relieve myself of some of that stress. It was getting late and I decided to put everything behind me and get a good nights rest. Forget about the horrible day, hopefully by tomorrow, things will be solved. As I was drying my hair, there was a knock on my door.

"Come in." I said as I dried my hair. I thought it would be my mom since I was feeling so gloomy all day, I thought she would have came to talk to me or something. Turns out, it was none other than one half of the devil brothers, Nam Woohyun.

Woohyun gave me a bright smile as he walked into my room, dropped his huge bag pack down and plopped himself down on my bed, making himself comfortable despite my confused look. "What are you doing here?"

He gave me a smile and I couldn't help but smile back. "W-what?" I asked again, wondering if there was something on my face and I touched my face.

"Come here Jin," he patted the empty space on my bed and motioned for me to come over. Now don't get me wrong, my bed is actually pretty huge for a single person and it's just nice for two people hence I'm technically not squeezing with Woohyun if we were to lie on the same bed. I went over and sat down next to him because my hair was still slightly wet.

"Lay down." He instructed me and I furrowed my eyebrows. What is this Nam Woohyun doing? "Just lay down." He pushed me down and patted my head. Woohyun then took the covers and covered me as though he was putting me to sleep. Except that he's on my bed, right next to me as well.

"Now tell me what's wrong?" He started in a straightforward manner and I froze.

"We grew up together, Jin. I basically knew you my whole life. I know an unhappy Jin when I see an unhappy Jin. It's obvious you're feeling troubled and you can tell me you know. I'm your best friend right? Is it about studies? Because if it is, I swear I'll help you. I'll even get Gyu to help you. He's really the best tutor ever." Woohyun continued without a pause and I just stared at him going on and on.

Woohyun then noticed me giving him looks and he finally stopped. His expression softened and he let out a small sigh. "It's okay if you don't want to tell me as well, I just wanted to help in any way that I can. Do know I'll always be here for you."

I paused. "You can't help me this time." I blurted out. Maybe because I felt a little bad about not telling Woohyun. He doesn't like being kept in the dark and he will be hurt if I acted like I didn't want to speak to him about it. Woohyun would think that he's not competent enough to be my friend but that's totally not true.

"The… the money I was collecting got stolen." I breathed out. This is the second time today I'm telling someone.

Woohyun's expression turned serious and his eyebrows furrowed. Something you will hardly ever see because he's always smiling. Or rather something I hardly ever see because he's always smiling. In general, he's always smiling. I stared at him, my face probably saying all that I wanted to say but I kept my silence. What else am I supposed to say? Woohyun didn't say anything as well but I could read him well enough to tell he's definitely surprised and he's processing it. Maybe he's thinking of what to say to comfort me but I figured it's not needed. I had enough of comforting and maybe I just needed to let it out. Yeah, I guess that's it.

"You don't have to comfort me or anything you know, Myungsoo already knows and so does Sunggyu. There's nothing I can do now." I said quietly.

Woohyun still didn't say anything and he looked down. He looks like he was thinking pretty hard and my words just fell on deaf ears.

Just then, Woohyun's head suddenly bolted up. "I'll help you."

"W-what?"

"I'll help you." He repeated.

Obviously taken aback, I stuttered. "H-how? How are you going to help me?"

"What if you're going to have to pay back the money? How are you going to do it?"

"I—"

"I'll help you." He said again, with conviction and determination in his eyes.

"You can't. It's too much money." I protested. This Nam Woohyun is out of his mind is he?

"How?" I asked again.

"Just trust me." And he gave me a smile. That playful twinkle reappeared back in his serious eyes. Once again, Woohyun is smiling. "Sleep Jin, you've had a long day."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, who knows, Woohyun was actually right. I've had a long day because once I closed my eyes, I found myself drifting off into dreamland, as though my problems were solved with the touch of magic. The last thing I remembered was thanking Woohyun in my head.

--

Apparently Woohyun had prepared to stay over last night and he had his bag packed with his school uniform and materials. We then head to school normally, like any other normal day, except my problem was still there but Woohyun was good at making people feel at ease around him. He just had that charm. I totally forgot about my problem for a moment as we head to school.

The others were surprised to see that Woohyun wasn't coming out from his own house, but rather, appearing with me and they sure did give me strange looks. It was a little weird considering how it's Woohyun's home but he's not in there.

What surprised me was, Bomi was waiting with the others in front of Woohyun's gate. Bomi. Usually we meet her two streets down just before the junction to our high school but she's here today. As per the past few days, she's still avoiding me. She's wouldn't meet my eyes and she just talked mostly to Sunggyu. I frowned because I really wanted to talk to her and sort things out but she's not giving me the chance.

"L-let's just go." Woohyun said awkwardly as the others gave us weird stares. Trust Woohyun to know how to be awkward since he doesn't even deny our so-called relationship in front of the basketball guys. Fantastic.

When I went back to class, the reality hit me straight in the face. My problem was still there, facing me straight ahead. Yeah, my problem now is none other than Kim Hyuna. She wasn't being friendly at all. I mean, a friendly person wouldn't be standing right in front of me, glaring at me with those fierce eyes, right? With those arms crossed as well. I can't even imagine Howon dating her.

Before I could even give her my signature glare, Myungsoo dragged me away and Hyuna just walked away.

"Hey," he said quietly to me as we walked to our seats. "Don't take it to heart okay. She's not all that bad a person." He defended her.

I frowned. Myungsoo is my buddy, my sidekick, literally the guy that's supposed to be next to me but he defended Hyuna?! Myungsoo then put two of his fingers at the end of my lips and pushed them upwards.

"Turn that frown upside down and get ready for a new day."

I pouted but I decided to forget about me being angry with Hyuna. I lost the money; I had no right to be angry anyway. She does.

After I just sat down, Jieun and Jooyeon then turned around to comfort me.

"We know you tried your best Yoojin." Jooyeon said apologetically and Jieun nodded. "It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself okay?" Jieun added.

"Thanks guys." I managed out a smile and went to take out my textbook. At least, I have two more people on my side. Three people out of the entire class, it wasn't so bad wasn't it?

Lunchtime came and Myungsoo and I headed out to meet the others just as usual when suddenly Krystal came over. I swear it's obvious she's head over heels for Myungsoo, seeing how she kept her eyes glued to him the entire time. For once, she turned her attention to me. "Yoojin, I'm so sorry for Hyuna's behaviour. She's probably upset about the whole missing money thing." She gave an apologetic look.

I tried to manage out a smile as she was giving me this "I pity you" look. Okay, maybe she wasn't pitying me but maybe I'm just sensitive now. And of course, she turned back to talk to Myungsoo. Hey Krytal Jung, if you like him you can just tell him. Myungsoo is a good catch.

"Also, since midterms are just next week, I figured I really need some help for math. Could you help me with it after school?" Krystal asked.

Wow. She's being really obvious Myung, really really obvious!

Myungsoo then turned to look at me because we had actually planned to study in the library this afternoon. I guess he's afraid to bail out on us but I figured, maybe he needed a push.

"Myungsoo is free this afternoon. He can help you." I helped him answer her question, to which he just glared at me. Literally.

"I thought I was studying with you guys in the afternoon?" He furrowed his eyebrows, obviously acting confused because he knew I was pushing him to Krystal.

I gave him a smile, "well, you can't deny someone who needs help with school work right? It's only right you share your knowledge."

He glared at me even more.

"Right." He replied curtly, short and sweet. His eyes were sending me signals saying "we'll see about this later" and I shrugged. I'm just helping him and be on my way to lunch.

Lunch was normal, except my stupid problem that kept bugging me at the back of my head. I guess when you really have something to worry about, it just doesn't go away till it's settled. This is why people get depression. They think about it again and again and again until they are unable to function. I shuddered at the thought of it. That sure escalated quickly.

Well, basically my whole day has been pretty much the same gloomy me and I couldn't really pay attention in class despite the upcoming exams. I let out a sigh of relief when the bell rang and it meant that lessons had finally ended.

However, instead of letting us go like we are supposed to, my homeroom teacher has made his way to my class right before anybody could leave. Mr Choi gave his signature clearing of a throat and banged the whiteboard a few times, just so he could have our attention.

"As you all know, midterms is coming up next week and the school is still investigating the case of the stolen money. Unfortunately, the school has to submit payment before midterms start so that you all can go for your grad trip right after the exams. Which also means, you guys will have to pay the money again—"

There were mumbles everywhere before Mr Choi could even finish his sentence. Everybody got so worked up over the money that they didn't even want to listen to what he has to say.

"Listen up!" He banged against the whiteboard again and the class quietened. "When found, the school will pay back the money to everyone but for now, there needs to be an extra payment or you all will not be getting your food during the grad trip." Mr Choi then looked right at me and I felt goose bumps on my skin. His gaze was literally burning a hole in me. I know I am at fault but does he have to be so mean about it? I'm going through pain as well.

"I knew it! We should have never appointed you to be the money collector! Look what you've done now! You should be the one paying for all of us! I'm not paying again!" Hyuna turned towards me and shouted at me.

"Yeah that's right! Yoojin lost it, she should pay!" Some other guy chipped in.

I gapped, not knowing how to answer the both of them as nothing came out of my mouth. Myungsoo put a hand around mine; trying to comfort me but I felt hot tears in my eyes. Hyuna was right, I should have never been selected for such a big job anyway.

Before my tears could hit the ground, someone came barging into my class. His uniform was all messed up and his bag was thrown to the floor. He was even panting hardly too.

"I'll pay!" He crouched down to take a breath, with one hand on his hip and another to steady himself. "I'll pay." He repeated as he stumbled into my class. "It's not Jin's fault so I'll pay in her stead."

I stared at this crazy man in front of me. He really is crazy isn't he? Is he not worried about revealing his identity? Is he using his wealth to help me? Is this even possible?!

Here I am, in class, with many people against me, accusing me of taking the money, not taking care of the money and blah blah blah, asking me to pay for them etc. and standing in front of me was my saviour, Lee Howon. Declaring to my entire class that he'll pay for the lost money. Revealing to the world that he's rich and putting his real identity that his father spent so long protecting at risk. Maybe not to that extent, but Howon had revealed a part of him to everyone that he tried to hide so much, the fact that he's rich.

And he did it because of me.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hey! So I'm going to have a busy day but I'm free for now so I thought I would just update hehehehe! Here's a belated white day present for you guys! I know many of you are confused and curious about Bomi avoiding Jin and being ever so awkward but things will clear up, I promise! It's just that now Jin has too many things on her plate to be worrying about before she gets to Bomi! Keep those comments coming in guys! I would love to hear from y'all!!!

Short and sweet A/N because I have to rush off soon but have a great week ahead!