Chapter 21

A Little Thing About Love

I gasped and I stood frozen in place. I couldn't move. My eyes widened. No thoughts were passing through my head; I was just standing there, in front of Bomi. 

 

"I'm so so so sorry." She cried harder than before. "I didn't mean to take it. I really didn't. I don't know why I did it." 

 

"H-how?" I asked as I took the pouch in my hand. I clearly remembered that it was gone during gym class when I was at the nurse's office. 

 

"I-I had to help a teacher to take some stuff from the staff room and I walked past your class. It was empty. I remembered the pouch you were holding onto during lunch. I don't know why but I went and took it." Bomi cried but she continued. "I wasn't meant to hold onto it for so long. I wanted to give it back to you so many times but when everybody else found out about it, I couldn't bring myself to return it.”

 

"Days passed and I felt even more guilty for holding onto it but I couldn't find the courage to return it to you. I was so angry with myself for doing this to you. I planned to return it to you, but you told me that it was settled and I lost my courage all over again. I couldn't bring it up in front of everyone else." 

 

She paused to choke back on her tears. 

 

"And then every time you came to find me, I felt so so so bad that you were treating me so nicely when I don't even deserve it. You were so genuine but I made the worst mistake of my life by doing this to you. I just couldn't bear to see the look on your face so I never got to tell you." 

 

I remembered the times when I went to find Bomi to talk but all she did was avoid my gaze and when we finally talked, she raised her voice and ran away without giving me an explanation. Twice. Even on this trip. So that's why she couldn't meet my gaze? She was guilty? 

 

"I hate myself for doing this Jin. I am so so so sorry. I don't deserve you treating me so nicely. I caused you to worry. I made a huge huge huge mistake." She cried out, not meeting my eyes again. 

 

Now, a lot of thoughts were going through my head but the most prominent one was why? Why did she do it? What was the reason to take the money? Was she short of cash?

 

"Why?" My voice cracked as I asked the question. I was afraid of knowing the answer. I thought Bomi was my best friend. Why did she do this to me? 

 

Bomi's hands started shaking as she clenched them tightly together. She looked up at me, her fair pretty face was now red and eyes swollen because of the crying. 

 

"I was jealous of you." She spoke softly. 

 

"W-what?" I asked, confused. What do I have that Bomi is jealous of? She's pretty, she's smart, why is she jealous of me? 

 

"I like Woohyun." She confessed and I blinked. I tried not to show a huge reaction but in my mind I did. "But Woohyun… he likes… you."

 

My legs wobbled and Bomi reached out to steady me. 

 

"I confessed to him, that night you saw us together. I wrote him a letter because I couldn't say it out loud. I waited for his answer but he told me that he didn't feel the same way. That he had someone he likes. I prayed it was not you despite my suspicions but he said it. And then you came, I couldn't bring myself to see the both of you together and so I ran away." 

 

My mind went back to the time I saw Bomi outside Woohyun's house after I sent Jieun and Jooyeon to the bus stop. It clicked. No wonder Bomi was rushing off. No wonder Woohyun was acting all awkward, like nothing was wrong. 

 

"I was clouded by jealousy. Woohyun looked at you every time you stepped into the room. His eyes never left you. I wanted him to notice me. I changed my appearance but he still didn't. Then I just did it. I… I don’t even know why." 

 

I gulped. Woohyun… he's my best friend. I've known him since we were six. How is it that he likes me? 

 

"And then after I took the money, I couldn't bring myself to face you, or Woohyun. I wanted to tell him about it and return the money to you but when I went to his house in the morning, he wasn't there. He came with you from your house. And then I got clouded by jealousy again."  

 

The day Woohyun came to my house to comfort me and slept over popped into my head. No wonder he looked so awkward. So he knew about Bomi's feelings. No wonder he didn't carry on the act even as the others gave us weird stares. I felt immensely bad at the moment. 

 

I couldn't even form out sentences because of all the shock.

 

"I know, you must hate me now." Bomi continued crying. "But I just want you to know that this is the worst mistake of my life. Ever since I took it, I couldn't sleep every night knowing I did such a horrible thing. You are the best thing that has happened to me Jin. If it weren't for you, I would have still been this quiet girl with no friends. You held out a hand and gave me a chance to experience one of the greatest things in life called friendship." 

 

 I swallowed the lump in my throat as I tried to speak but no sound came out. 

 

"Guilt has been eating me alive and I would regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't return it. It was stupid of me to do such a thing because of a guy. I won't give any excuses because it is stupid of me. For someone who studies so much, I sure am smart right?" She said sarcastically.

 

Now that she mentioned it, I looked at her face closely. Besides the swollen red eyes, she had dark circles underneath her eyes and her eye bags were more prominent. Her once radiant skin looked dull, like she had been missing sleep for quite some time. She must have had a hard time. 

 

"Bomi-ah…" I finally managed out. My eyes welled up with tears because of all the emotion that I'm feeling. I can't even describe what feeling this is but I just know that I'm about to cry. Is it betrayal? It is despair? What is this? 

 

"I am willing to accept any form of punishment so you can tell on me. I will take full responsibility of my actions. I will also stay away from you and the others from now on." 

 

Wait, no no no. Who said about telling on Bomi? Who said about severing our ties? 

 

Bomi choked back one last sob and she looked at me straight in the eye. 

 

"Jin-ah, Woohyun… he likes you a lot. A lot a lot." She stressed. "Even before, when he didn't tell me, I could tell. He has really done a lot for you. Please treasure him will you?" 

 

I was stunned. There are so many things I want to say to Bomi right now. So many that I couldn't organize my thoughts properly. 

 

"I…" I trailed off. 

 

Bomi looked down, still crying. "The reason I like Woohyun is because he's the first guy to ever approach me. He cared for me like a dongsaeng and he was the nicest guy I’ve ever met. For someone like me, I've never had friends, much less a guy friend. But because of you, I made the most number of friends I ever did. I will forever be grateful to you and I will always regret for throwing something so beautiful away because of my jealousy." She came up to me and gave me a hug. 

 

My hands trembled but I slowly reached out and hugged her back. Before I could hug her tighter, she let go. 

 

"I'm so sorry." She bowed, ninety degrees and then she ran off. 

 

"Bomi! Bomi-ah! Yoon Bomi!" I called out after her but she had already run away. 

 

I haven't even had the time to react and give her a reply. Then, I broke down. I cried. I stared at the pouch and I cried for who knows how long.

 

-- 

 

Walking back to the group solemnly, I hid the pouch filled with money in my pocket, trying to hide it as much as I could. 

 

"Oh Jin! Where did you go? Where's Bomi?" Woohyun immediately stood up as he saw me walking back. My mind went back to when Bomi told me about Woohyun liking me. He had always been acting this way towards me. How could I have not noticed it? My mind is a whirl of thoughts right now. I could feel a headache coming with all that information. 

 

"She… she was tired. I'm tired too so I'll just go back and rest. See you guys tomorrow." I said as fast as I could and headed back to my room without turning back to whoever was calling out my name. I needed some time to process everything. 

 

When I went back my room, Hyuna wasn't there and I was all alone. Lying down on the bed, I let out a sigh and I processed everything Bomi said in my head. So she did it because she was jealous of Woohyun liking me? And did she say she wasn't going to be friends with us anymore? Wait, what? 

 

This cannot be it. She's my best friend. Albeit I feel hurt because of what happened but… not having Bomi by my side? I can't do it. I need her by my side. I need that quiet, shy girl by my side to take my side when the guys bullied me. I needed Bomi. We may not have those girl to girl bonding moments but it would be different without her around. She was the other girl in the group and without her, I'm just going to be surrounded by childish people all day. She's the one who keeps my sanity. She's the only other one that speaks logic besides Sunggyu. Her presence may not be big but she has become a big part in my life. I can't lose her as a friend. I just can't imagine continuing life without her.

 

But she did this to you. 

 

I reached out for the pouch of money from my pocket. 

 

She took it. 

 

I gripped onto the pouch tighter. 

 

She returned it didn't she? 

 

How could you trust her again after this?

 

She felt bad. 

 

Is feeling bad the only important thing? You're missing the point. She took the money and gave you misery. 

 

She returned it and she apologized. 

 

I'm sure you've heard of trust being a sheet of paper. Once crushed, it can never return to its original state. 

 

Things won't be the same but it doesn't mean I have to throw the piece of paper away. I can still keep it. Nothing will be the same ever again but I'd still have her by my side. 

 

My mind was having an internal battle. I was getting a headache for trying to think so hard. Another thing was Woohyun. This information is something I didn't know how to process. Woohyun… he likes me? Why would he like this normal girl who is just average in everything? He deserves more. He deserves better. 

 

The more I thought about it, the more I frustrated I got and I couldn't take it anymore. I called Woohyun and asked him to meet me at the same place of the beach we had met the other day. 

 

 "Jin!" Woohyun came running over. "What happened? You suddenly ran off with Bomi and then you came back looking so gloomy and I wanted to go over to find you but you were tired and I was worried I'd disturb you but now you called and… what happened?" 

 

Woohyun's rambling got me almost in tears. He was genuinely worried about me. Was that love? Him always being overly protective of me, is it because he liked me?

 

"Woohyun-ah…" I tried not to cry. 

 

Woohyun's expression softened. "Jin-ah, what's wrong? Don't cry, eh?" He reached out to cup my face. 

 

"Bomi told me." I said and his hand fell. "She told me everything… about you…" 

 

Woohyun's face darkened and his facial muscles tensed up. 

 

"Oh… so you know now?" 

 

I nodded.

 

"So it's true?" I meant the part about him liking me. 

 

Woohyun's eyes darted around as if he was thinking of ways to form the words in his head. 

 

"I wanted to tell you the other night. The night when you asked me about Bomi. I wanted to tell you everything but the teacher came. And then the next night… I saw you and Myungsoo together… hugging, so I just went back. This was not how I pictured you would find out. I wanted to tell you myself, in a cool manner. So that even if you rejected me, I'd still be happy knowing I confessed bravely." 

 

My legs wobbled even more because Woohyun just confirmed it. He reached out to stable me and I held onto his hand until I realized I was holding on for too long. 

 

Woohyun then looked up from the ground and he took my hand. 

 

"Even if it's late, I still want to do it in a cool manner." He took a deep breath. "I like you Jin. I really do. I can't remember when I started falling for you but I just know that I did. I realized that when we were in middle school and you are the bravest girl I've ever met." He gave a small chuckle at the mention of me being brave. "The way you fought off bullies and protected not only yourself but us as well, that was admirable. I wanted to grow up and be strong so that I can be the one to protect you in the future." 

 

I stared at his face. 

 

"Seeing you happy, it made me happy. I wanted to see you smile more often. So I teased you more often, even though I ended up smiling more than you but I felt closer to you that way. I don't know when you started infiltrating my brain. You were all I could think of. You don't know how happy I was when the basketball guys thought we were dating. I kinda wished it was true though." He smiled to himself at that memory. 

 

"It became that I wanted to do so many things for you, even if you didn't know. I wanted to be the one to be there for you." 

 

My mind suddenly thought of all the times Woohyun was thoughtful towards me. There were just too many moments to recall. It was like Woohyun had read my mind and saw on my confused face about the subtle things he did for me. He then proceeded to tell me everything. Every single little thing that I overlooked. 

 

-- 

 

Woohyun's POV 

 

Back in winter break after junior year. 

 

It was the day of the friendly match and I couldn't wait to get some of these old bones moving. I hadn't had time to exercise much since it was winter and everything. But fret not, this indoor court is warm and comfy, I can't wait to kick some . I smiled at my bestie Kim Sunggyu who arrived earlier than me and he gave me a weird stare. 

 

"What?" I asked, worried if there was a hole in my pants or anything. 

 

"You don't use this bag for your shoes… isn't it the black shoe bag?" Sunggyu pointed out. 

 

"Isn't this bla—AHHHHHHH!" I shouted and I dropped the bag on the floor. It was dark blue instead of black. I had brought the wrong shoes to the match. "Oh my gosh!" I panicked and fumbled on my phone to find someone to call for help. There was only one person I could think of at this moment. Jung Yoojin. 

 

I was panicking and pacing back at forth in my socks as the others started warming up. Jin, where are you?

 

When she finally appeared, it was like an angel sent down from heaven. My smile immediately came out as I waved my saviour over. 

 

"Jin-ah! Over here!" 

 

My angel came over without a smile on her face and gave me a straight look. "What would I do without you?" I smiled. Really, what would I do without you, Jung Yoojin? 

 

She gave no reaction and put the shoe bag behind her back. 

 

"You know, if you wanted a hug, you can just tell me." I winked and I gave her a hug. Secretly, I was dancing with joy on the inside as I thought about the last time I did this. She didn't learn, did she? She felt so warm in my arms and I wish I could hug her forever and ever.

 

Just then, I felt a pain in my gut and I doubled over. Yoojin ruthlessly threw my shoes at me. "Can't you just say the magic words?" She shouted at me as I rubbed my poor tummy. 

 

"You know I'll say it once I get my shoes." I said and I pretended to be really hurt. It sure did hurt a little, but a man like me wouldn't be taken down so easily. 

 

Her expression immediately softened and she was actually being worried about me. "Yah, Nam Woohyun, are you okay? Did I hit you too hard?" 

 

My insides were bursting with joy when she was worried about me. She may be tough but she's just one of the kindest girls ever. Seeing my bottle at the corner of my eye, I slowly lifted up my head and reached for the bottle. 

 

"I'll be okay if… if you help me get some water!" Immediately, I threw it at her before she could reject me. Also, this was a good time to escape. And so I took my shoes and made a break for it. 

 

"YAH NAM WOOHYUN!" She shouted out super loudly and I giggled like an idiot. 

 

"Thanks Jin!" I couldn't hide my smile anymore and I was smiling so brightly even though she looked so mad. She looks so pretty even when she's mad. 

 

(Chapter 7) 

 

-- 

 

The night when Yoojin announced that Myungsoo would be joining them for lunch. 

 

"So the new guy will be joining us for lunch tomorrow." Yoojin announced to everyone sitting in her room. 

 

I nearly choked on my drumstick. "Mwoh?!" Bomi had to pat me on the back to make sure I didn't swallow the entire bone or something but my mind wasn't bothering about the stupid chicken, it was the new guy. Like what is with the new guy?! 

 

Yoojin threw me some tissues and I used it to wipe away the oil. "Yah, the girls in my class are all over him, I thought he needed some guy company." 

 

What?! "But aren't there guys in your class?" I retorted. 

 

Yoojin gave a pause and her head sprang into think mode. "It doesn't hurt to know one more friend." She glared at me evilly like she always does but I found that kinda cute. Really cute. But wait, new guy. 

 

"Weren't you complaining about how rude he was to you?" I tried to reason it out. Why is she so concern over new guy anyways? Girls in her class may be all over him but please tell me you're not, Jung Yoojin. 

 

"He seemed okay today though… and we are going to be classmates so why not give him a second chance?" 

 

My mind went blank. She's defending him now? 

 

I then pointed at her as though I was accusing her or something. "Don't tell me… you like him too? Because he's good looking?" 

 

She leaned forward without hesitation and smacked me right on the head. "Yah! Just because I liked Jongin oppa last year doesn't mean I like all handsome guys!" 

 

She continued to smack me but I defended myself. It was actually because I was smiling so widely to myself. Where in the world do I find another girl that's as cute as this one hitting me right now? You're amazing, Jung Yoojin. I chuckled softly, hoping nobody else would notice. 

 

(Chapter 9) 

 

-- 

 

The day Yoojin forgot her math textbook. 

 

I was talking to Sunggyu as we walked to the lockers to get our books but I saw Yoojin frantically searching her bag for something. 

 

"What's wrong?" Bomi asked while standing next to her. 

 

Yoojin rummaged her bag like her life depended on it and I wondered what could she have forgotten? That clumsy girl is always forgetting something. I really wonder what would she do without us reminding her things sometimes. Sunggyu was basically her walking dairy, reminding her things she always forgot. 

 

"I forgot my math textbook. My Choi will have my head on a platter now." She cried out in an ever so cute way I couldn't help but smile to myself. 

 

She then looked to us and I tried to hide my smile quickly. "Perhaps someone doesn't have math today?" 

 

Both Bomi and Sunggyu had the same math class timing as Yoojin so they couldn't even lend her even if they wanted to. Howon didn't have math today so he didn’t even have his book with him. There was only me left and Yoojin gave me this puppy eyes look. Gosh, I swear I was about to faint because of her really adorable face and I think I may have blushed but I hope nobody noticed it. How can I not when she's giving me these cute looks?! 

 

"You're in luck Jung Yoojin. I don't have math today and," I pulled out my thick math book from the locker. "I have my book." I smiled at her. 

 

Yoojin threw her arms around me and caught me by surprise in a hug. "Gomawo gomawo Nam superstar! I owe you one!" 

 

My heartbeat became super fast and I gulped, hoping that she wouldn't notice that thumping box in my chest. 

 

After thanking me, she headed to her class. Sunggyu then came over next to me and gave me a nudge. 

 

"You have math the same timing today." He pointed out. 

 

"I know." I smiled and he smiled back. Out of everyone, Sunggyu was the only one I told about my really huge crush on Yoojin. He understood me the best and he's my bestie too. I would want him to know. He gave me a pat on the shoulders and headed to class. 

 

Well, let's just say my math teacher wasn't too happy about me not having my textbook with me when she's teaching and so she sent me to detention. Well, anything to make Yoojin happy. She doesn't have to know I had math today. 

 

I then texted the group, telling them that I couldn't make it on time for ball practice and Yoojin immediately replied. 

 

What happened? 

 

I smiled to myself, that girl. She doesn't need to know. She just needs to accept my actions gracefully. "I talked too much in class." I typed before I headed to detention with a smile on my face. 

 

(Chapter 9)

 

--

 

The lunch where Woohyun kept stealing Yoojin's spicy chicken. 

 

Today, our class was the first to get to the cafeteria and I straight away made a beeline with the other guys to the counter to see what's for lunch today. 

 

"Waaaa it's spicy stir-fried chicken!" Dongwoon exclaimed and he immediately went straight to ordering. 

 

"Yah Son Dongwoon! Queue up please!" Yang Yoseob called out at my childish teammate but he just stuck out a tongue. I was so hungry that my eyes were fixated to the chicken to care. As I got to the serving area, I noticed that there's only spicy stir-fried chicken today. 

 

"Ahjumma! Are there any non-spicy ones?" I asked. 

 

"Aniya! It's not that spicy anyways! I'm sure you can handle it! You're a grown man!" 

 

"Ah…" I was embarrassed by that statement. But I wasn't asking for me, I was asking for Yoojin. She can't take spicy food well. Not even just a tiny bit. She'd rather set of fire than eat spicy stuff. Andwae, if there's no non-spicy chicken, Yoojin is going to suffer today. I can't let that happen. 

 

I went to the vending machine and bought a packet of milk for her. She'll definitely need it. 

 

When she came with her lunch, she sat down and started talking to the others. My eyes were only aiming for her spicy chicken. I'll just remove them so she doesn't end up eating too much and upsetting her stomach. 

 

"Yah! Why are you stealing my food!" She slapped my hand away. 

 

"You can't handle the spiciness!" I defended myself. She huffed at me like she doesn't believe me but oh trust me, I know her better than she does sometimes. Without saying a word, I placed the packet of milk in front of her because she's definitely going to need it. 

 

And I was right. 

 

(Chapter 11)

 

-- 

 

The day Bomi changed. 

 

"Sorry guys, I'm late!" Howon ran up to us as he put Yoojin in a headlock almost immediately. Strange thing is, Howon is never late. He may be lazy but late is never in his dictionary. Yoojin being Yoojin, she elbowed his gut and freed herself from his clutches and she reached into her bag to dig for something. 

 

"Oh my god, I'm been searching my entire house for it! Thanks Jin!" Howon exclaimed when Yoojin passed his phone to him. Wait, why is his phone with her? 

 

"You dropped it in my room last night." She said casually like that didn't mean much but what?! Howon was in her room last night?! 

 

"Bwoh?!" I cried out, "why were you in her room last night?" I couldn't handle this. Which means, they were in her room last night. Alone. In her room. IN HER ROOM?! 

 

"Why can't I?" Howon gave me his annoying snicker and I wanted to duel him right then and there. 

 

"Yah! She's a girl! You're a guy! Alone in her room!" I pointed out but Yoojin was already walking away. 

 

I continued my daily banter with Howon as if nothing was wrong but everything is wrong. I was jealous of Howon. Kinda? It was like any other normal day as we walked but I kept wondering what the hell did Howon do at her house last night. It was just bugging me like a tick I can't get rid of. 

 

Suddenly, Yoojin's voice scared the out of me, breaking me out of my trance. 

 

"Oh my god Yoon Bomi!" Yoojin immediately ran up to hug Bomi. Even her back view looks good. "You look amazing! You're going to be the talk of the town! The entire boy population is going to be all over you I swear! I told you you look good beneath those glasses!" 

 

Wait, what's Yoojin talking about? 

 

"Thank you Jin." Bomi replied. 

 

Yoojin then threw an arm around Bomi and glared at us. Yes, her usual glare. She does it even when she doesn't notice it but she's really cute when she glares. It's not even scary. 

 

"None of you touch her. If you do, you're going to die at the hands of Jung Yoojin." She pointed a finger at each and every one of us. "Except for Sunggyu maybe. If you date Sunggyu I wouldn't stop you two."


Hey, not fair, I'm pretty great too. Aren't I? 

 

"That would be weird." Bomi said and I finally got a closer look at her. She had changed a hundred and eighty degrees. Those thick frames were gone and she curled her hair. She didn't look so bad previously but now she's a real charmer. 

 

"Wow, you look great." I gave her a thumbs up. 

 

"Thanks." She smiled back and I shifted my gaze to Yoojin. She's so pretty that she doesn't even pale in comparison to Bomi. 

 

Howon then walked next to me. "Well Bomi, looks like you're going to be up in the list of prettiest girls in school. Jin, you better up your game." He said with a smirk on his face. 

 

What's wrong with Yoojin? She looks great. She looks amazing all the time. 

 

"What's wrong with Jin? I think she looks great too!" I added in without much thinking. Whoops, was that too direct? However, Yoojin didn't seem to notice and she took my side. Heh, there you go Lee Howon. So much for being in her room last night. We're even now. 

 

(Chapter 12) 

 

-- 

 

The day when Bomi confessed. 

 

I love having dinner over at Yoojin's place. Her mom is the best cook on earth I swear. I would do anything to trade my mom's cooking skills for her mom's cooking skills. Basically, the food is good and I get to see the girl I like all the time. Life couldn't be better every time I'm over at her place. It's just that there are so many other guys there as well. Yoojin seems to be getting closer to Myungsoo too but I'm sure Yoojin's not the type to like someone just because he's handsome. Or she would've liked me already. I'm just kidding. But seriously, maybe. 

 

After dinner, Yoojin had to send her two friends to the bus stop and the four of us just chilled at her place. 

 

"Look at this!" Howon said as he clicked on the last video Yoojin watched on her computer. It was this boy group called Shinee. She seems to love them a lot. Psh, what's so good about five guys dancing when she can watch me play basketball. Okay, I'm getting too ahead of myself. Shinee looks pretty awesome I guess, maybe that's why she likes them. 

 

Anyways, we were watching her Shinee videos when suddenly my phone rang. It was Bomi. 

 

"Bomi-ah?" I answered. 

 

There was silence behind the other line. Perhaps Bomi called by accident? 

 

"Bomi?" I tried again. 

 

"Woohyun-ah…" She finally said. 

 

"Neh?" 

 

"I'm… I'm outside your house right now. Could you come out for a moment?" 

 

"Oh! I'm at Jin's house right now!" 

 

"Oh," she sounded disappointed. 

 

I quickly stood up, "I'll be there right now." I said and I took off after a quick goodbye to the others. Bomi sounded really serious, like she had something important to say to me. 

 

I ran as fast as I could back home and I found her standing there in her new look. 

 

"Hey, what's up?" I said with a smile on my face as I tried to catch my breath. 

 

She didn't say anything. 

 

"Is… anything wrong?" I asked. Maybe she was ok shy to start the ball rolling. I'd do it then. 

 

She then reached in her pocket and took out something pink in colour and she handed it to me without a word. It was a letter. 

 

"What's this?" I asked. 

 

She didn't say anything but she just looked down. I then opened up the letter to take a read. Needless to say, I had the shock of my life. 

 

Dear Woohyun, 

 

I don't know how to say this out loud so I'm writing a letter to you. If you didn't already know, you're an amazing person. You've been such a huge pillar of support to me and I couldn't have asked for more. I wanted to be more brave and tell you in person but words couldn't come out every time I see you. I like you. I really do. You were the first guy who held his hand out to me and that changed me life completely. The first time I met you, was the time I fell for you. And then you continued to treat me so well and I fell for you even more. So I like you, I really do. 

 

Yoon Bomi

 

It was written nicely and neatly and I took a huge breath as I read the letter. Bomi… she likes me? 

 

Bomi stood there without saying a word as she watched me read. 

 

"Bomi… I—" 

 

"You don't have to reply me or anything. I just want you to know my feelings." She said shyly. I could tell that for her to come and confess to me about her feelings, it must have taken up all the courage she has in her. 

 

"I already have someone I like." I said. I didn't want to hurt Bomi. She's my friend and it would be mean to lead her on so I just decided to make it clear to her that I already have someone else I like. The fact that it's Yoojin may hurt her so I kept quiet about it. 

 

And then I regretted my decision because Bomi looked like she was about to cry in front of me. I don't know how to deal with a crying girl oh help. I really didn't mean to hurt you Bomi… 

 

"Is it… Yoojin?" 

 

Ding dong dang. 

 

"Yeah… I like Yoojin." Since she already has a clue, might as well be honest right? No point hiding it Nam Woohyun. You might hurt her more and she's your friend. 

 

I could tell Bomi was holding it in. She was trying not to cry in front of me and I felt bad. Immensely bad for doing this to her. Bomi is a nice girl and she deserves someone much better than me. I just stood there, not knowing what to do or what to say even. I was mad at myself for not knowing how to comfort her. Of all times, my big mouth had to be shut now. 

 

Just then, behind Bomi, I noticed someone else walking towards our direction. It was Yoojin. 

 

My expression immediately softens at the sight of her and I smiled brightly unknowingly. Then I realized that Bomi is right in front of me. Damn it, good job Nam Woohyun. Way to make a girl feel more rejected. 

 

Bomi immediately turned and walked towards Yoojin saying that she gotta go and left in a jiffy. I then remembered the letter. I couldn't let Yoojin see it and I quickly stuffed it in my pockets. 

 

At the same time, Yoojin turned around and I pretended that I was adjusting my pants so that she doesn't catch onto anything. I hope. I even gave her a smile but it turned out a little awkward. Ugh. 

 

Yoojin pointed in the direction Bomi left in, "Bomi came all the way here to meet you?" She asked. Surely it must have been strange to her because Bomi isn't usually out late at night or anything. 

 

I pretended like it wasn't anything big and I shrugged. "She called to say she's outside my house and told me to come out so I ran from your house." I tried to make it sound like it was anything but strange but I think that just made it stranger. 

 

"Isn't it strange? Bomi never leaves her house so late." 

 

I tried to laugh it off before Yoojin could catch onto anything at all. "Yah, what's strange. I'll get going, see you tomorrow Jin." I ruffled her hair before I went in with a smile on my face. 

 

When I got to my room, I took out the confession letter again and read it once more. "Bomi-ah, I'm so sorry." I whispered and I kept her letter in the drawer. I felt so bad because she's one of my closest friends. I am such a bastard for doing this to her. 

 

Lying down on my bed, I let out a groan and messed my hair. I am a horrible human being. My thoughts then came to Yoojin. I can't deny my feelings for her as well. I am hopelessly in love with Jung Yoojin. 

 

(Chapter 13) 

 

-- 

 

The day Woohyun found out Yoojin lost the money. 

 

We had agreed to study together in the library that day. Midterms were coming and I had to study hard for it. I looked at my best pal Kim Sunggyu writing away next to me and I could even see him thinking through his eyes. He was calculating everything in his head. How does this guy do it? 

 

I went back to my books but as I looked up, all I can see is Yoojin. Sitting opposite her is probably a horrible decision. I need to get my mind off her and study. My eyes darted to the other girl sitting next to Yoojin, Yoon Bomi. I sighed, thinking about how I have hurt her unintentionally. I really didn't mean to. 

 

Study Nam Woohyun. Stop thinking about useless stuff and study. 

 

Right, back to my books. 

 

We were all studying quietly when Yoojin suddenly popped a question for Bomi. "Bomi-ah, wanna go and take a break?" 

 

I tensed up. What if Bomi tells Yoojin about what we talked about the other day? Yoojin might be curious because she just ran off really quickly the other day. 

 

"I still have a lot of chapters to go through Jin, so I think I'll skip that break." Bomi replied. 

 

I let out a sigh of relief. 

 

After stealing a couple of glances at Yoojin, I realized she looked really unsettled. Like she's really struggling with something and I really want to help her but she stood up and went straight to Sunggyu. Great, maybe I'm not smart enough to help her. Not that I was jealous of Sunggyu because he is my best pal. And he's the only one who knows about my secret crush on you-know-who. 

 

I could hear the both of them whispering to each other and suddenly Sunggyu stood up and headed out with her. 

 

"Wait, where are you guys going?" I whispered loudly but also softly. You know those kind of whispers? Like you want to be heard but you don't want to be too loud. 

 

"I'm not kidnapping her, relax." Sunggyu said with a twinkle in his eye and I immediately I understood. See, that's my best pal over there. He ain't going to do anything funny to the girl I like and he's definitely got my back. Thanks pal. 

 

However, my worrying did not end after Yoojin was out of my sight. I just realized how tired she looked today. She looked tired, worn out and just basically all kinds of stressed. Sure, she'd still look amazing in my eyes but it was a different kind of look as compared to other days. I wonder if there's anything wrong in her life now.

 

After we were done studying for the day, I took another look at Yoojin as we were walking back but gosh, Yoojin looked so out of it. There has to be something wrong. 

 

"Gyu-ah," I called him on the phone immediately after we all parted. Maybe Sunggyu knows something about it. He always does. "What happened to Yoojin? Why is she so gloomy? Did something happen? Do you know what happened?" 

 

"Nam, you have to pause to let me answer the questions right?" I could hear a chuckle from the other line. 

 

Oops. "Right." I said. 

 

"I can't tell you what happened, because it's not my story to tell. Just talk to her Nam, she's feeling really horrible now. Even if she doesn't talk, just be by her side. She needs it." Sunggyu advised. 

 

"Got it. Thanks Gyu." 

 

After hearing Sunggyu's advice, I immediately packed my stuff and headed straight for Yoojin's house. If she needed someone by her side, that would be me. I want to be the one that's there for her. It was like I couldn't think of anything else and my only goal was to be next to Yoojin right now. I didn't even bother to check my phone when it was ringing. 

 

When I reached her home, I greeted her parents and went straight to her room. Knocking the door, she came to greet me with her towel in one hand. She must have been drying her hair. 

 

I flashed her a bright smile, dropped my bag down and made myself comfortable on her bed. 

 

"What are you doing here?" Yoojin asked, surprised I was even here in the first place. 

 

I said nothing but smiled at her, in which she smiled back. "W-what?" She touched her face as if something was on her face. 

 

"Come here Jin." I patted the empty space in her bed and she came over quietly. 

 

"Lay down." I said but she furrowed her eyebrows, wondering what is wrong with me. I could tell. "Just lay down." I pushed her down and patted her head, making sure her hair doesn't get into her face. I then pulled up the covers and made her warm. 

 

"Now tell me what's wrong." Oops. It wasn't meant to come out in such a straightforward manner but it just did. 

 

"We grew up together, Jin. I basically know you my whole life. I know an unhappy Jin when I see an unhappy Jin. It's obvious you're feeling troubled and you can tell me you know. I'm your best friend right? Is it about studies? Because if it is, I swear I'll help you. I'll even get Gyu to help you. He's really the best tutor ever." I continued, trying to savage the straightforward question I just popped earlier until I saw her giving me a strange look. My expression softened and I finally stopped talking. Damn it, Nam Woohyun, you and your big mouth. I sighed softly at my ramblings. Ugh, why did I do that. 


"It's okay if you don't want to tell me as well, I just wanted to help in any way that I can. Do know I'll always be here for you." I said, finally. 


Yoojin paused, and I could tell she was contemplating if she should tell me. "You can't help me this time." 


Wait, what happened that I couldn't help? Is it something serious? 


"The… the money I was collecting got stolen." 


I froze. My jaw tensed up and my expression stiffened. How could someone do such a thing? What's going to happen to Yoojin now? Does she have to be responsible for the lost money? Are they going to make her pay everything? How is she going to pay? I paid a hundred plus just for myself and if she has to pay for everyone in her class, that would mean thousands. She doesn't even have thousands. How do I know? I don’t. But why would an eighteen year old have thousands?


My brain went into thinking mode straight away. I could help her. I could use my savings, albeit it's not that much but I could sell my collectibles too. They're worth more than a hundred. I could easily get a few hundred there. Maybe my mom will be willing to help, since it's Yoojin. 


"You don't have to comfort me or anything you know, Myungsoo already knows and so does Sunggyu. There's nothing I can do now." She said quietly. 


Myungsoo would definitely know. He's in her class and Sunggyu? So that's what Sunggyu was talking about. 

 

After doing more calculations in my head, I looked up at her, "I'll help you." 

 

"W-what?" 

 

"I'll help you." I repeated. 

 

"H-how? How are you going to help me?"

"What if you're going to have to pay back the money? How are you going to do it?" I challenged her. Just accept my help, you silly girl. 

"I—"

"I'll help you." I said again. I'm determined to help her and I will. 

"You can't. It's too much money." She protested.

"How?" She asked, finally considering the option of me helping. 

"Just trust me." I gave her a smile. She doesn't need to know how, she just needs to accept my help and that's all. "Sleep Jin, you've had a long day." I patted her head again and watched her slowly close her eyes and fall asleep. She looked so angelic and so adorable. I could finally see her expression softened and I hope she has a good nights rest. She deserves it. 


The next morning, we left for school together and I couldn't help but again and again. Her reactions are priceless and I just love seeing them. Well, Yoojin looked more relaxed today so I guess it's not a bad thing right? 

 

We were just walking and then I realized that the rest of the gang were giving me weird looks considering how they're waiting at my house but I appeared with Yoojin. Oops. 

 

The thing is, Bomi was waiting at my house as well. She usually doesn't meet us here because it's out of the way for her but she's right there. With the rest. And then my eyes darted to Yoojin. . Bomi looked at me dejectedly and I immediately felt bad. I hurt her again. Way to go to be a good friend Nam Woohyun. She ignored both Yoojin and I and continued talking to Sunggyu. Well, why would she want to talk to me now? 

 

"L-let's go." I said awkwardly, not daring to look at Bomi anymore. 

 

At this point in time, I really hate myself for doing this to Bomi. Nam Woohyun, you are an . 
 

(Chapter 16) 

 

End of Woohyun's POV

 

-- 

 

My mind was in a mess. A whirl of mess. Woohyun's confession, Bomi's revelation, it was just too much for me to process. As we went back to Seoul, I sat on the bus and kept quiet. I didn't talk to Myungsoo or the rest. I pretended I was sleeping but in actual fact, I couldn't sleep. I was thinking about everything. It was just too much for my tiny brain to handle. 

 

I headed straight home after we reached back in Seoul and I didn't even bother to talk to the others. They must have been surprised and Woohyun was giving me confused looks. I didn't reply him about his confession last night. I just didn't know what to say.  

 

Throughout the entire time I was busy thinking and processing everything, I've decided that the fact that Bomi took the money… It's going to remain a secret. I swear I wouldn't tell anybody about it. It was a promise to myself. This secret will remain as a secret until I die. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Heyyyyyy! So I actually have an assignment due tomorrow but I it's okay, I'm pretty much done with it and I thought I should update!!! Remember last chapter I said that there will be something special in this chapter? So here's the something special! Woohyun's POV on things! I hope this clears things up and the secret is finally out! As many of you have guessed it, Woohyun likes Jin but Bomi likes Woohyun! (It wasn't too hard right? Maybe my subtle hints aren't that subtle hahahaha but it's okay, it's meant to be that way). Also, for Woohyun's POV, I actually added in which chapter it was from in case you guys want to look back for reference! If you reread it, you'll find that it links hahaha. Hope you guys enjoy this chapter and have a great weekend ahead! Friday is coming and I can't wait to be done with school for the week!!!!

Do leave me a comment on what you think!!! (Comment, suscribe, upvote, do what you have to but most important, leave a comment!!! I love those hehehe!)