Chapter 14

A Little Thing About Love

I had met the others earlier than my usual timing and this time, it was Howon who was late because he was nowhere to be seen. "Wow Jin, you're really early today." Sunggyu said as he gave me the thumbs up.

 


"I know right," I gave him a wink. Truthfully, I am proud of myself being early as well. It was a very rare occasion and I deserve some compliments.

"If only you would be this diligent in class." Myungsoo added and my smile faded.

"You don't have to remind me." I clenched my teeth and said in response.

Woohyun had given me a very wide smile, as though he was super happy. Is he alright? Maybe he's sick today? Anyways, he looked super happy when I greeted him.

Howon then came running in our direction with his uniform in a mess. Looks like somebody couldn't get up in the morning after the movie last night.

"Sorry I'm late!" He bent down to catch his breath.

 

I pointed to his uniform collar, "yah, your collar." I reminded him kindly. He started to adjust his collar properly but he probably couldn't do it without a mirror because he was struggling hard. I went up to him and helped him with his collar instead and I felt myself blush at the close proximity.

"Let's go." I immediately turn around and head to meet Bomi because I didn't want to be caught blushing in front of Howon. Neither do I want the other guys to see my blush so I walked further ahead instead.

I guess it was a wrong thing to walk all alone to meet Bomi because of the awkward incident yesterday. Okay, I wouldn't say it was awkward but Bomi gave me a "I'm really shy and I don't want to talk about it look." She did greet me but she avoided all my eye contacts. She just walked looking to the ground as if there's gold to be found. I turned to look at Woohyun, trying to signal him if there's something wrong with Bomi but he wouldn't meet my eyes too. He just continued whatever conversation he had with Sunggyu and walked on.

I then went to talk to Myungsoo because I was kinda avoiding Howon. I needed some space before I do anything stupid again. When we reached our classroom, Krystal automatically came to talk to Myungsoo and I left the two alone. Krystal was being so obvious about it and Myungsoo isn’t even rejecting her advances. Maybe because he likes her too? I can't really tell because Myungsoo was never an easy person to read. He really isn't. He has this classic poker face when he isn't smiling, albeit it makes him look very handsome but he also has this warm smile that can melt a cold heart. Maybe I haven't known him long enough to read him yet? I don't know, but I sure as hell couldn't tell if he was really into Krystal or was he just being nice.

Anyways, so the day ended pretty smoothly although I kinda fell asleep during math lesson and if it wasn't for Myungsoo waking me up every time I dozed off, Mr Choi would have my head on a platter by now. It was yet another typical day where we all had club activities and the guys had their own practices.

 

I was all alone in the art room drawing and perfecting my sketch when suddenly the door knocked.

"Come in." I said without turning back.

Whoever it was, he or she made the effort to be quiet because all I could hear was the light footsteps. The person didn't make a sound so I just continued drawing until I heard a shutter sound.

I immediately turned to see Myungsoo next to me taking candid shots of me while I was drawing. "Yah! Delete that! I wasn't ready for a photo!"

Snap.

"Yah! Kim Myungsoo! Stop it!" I was literally shouting at him and fighting him for the camera to delete my horrendous photos but Myungsoo was taller than me and definitely much stronger. Myungsoo then went to check his photos despite my protest and he was chuckling to himself! It must have turned out horrible because I wasn't even ready and I look horrible. Gosh, I need a place to hide my face.

"You look…" He hesitated for a bit, "fine."

"Let me see!" I immediately lunged after his camera but he was too fast for me. He just raised his hands and the camera was out of my reach.

"You're going to delete it if I show you!"

"But it was a candid shot! I look horrible in candid shots!" I protested.

Myungsoo just shook his head like a little kid. Signalling that no matter what, he's not going to show me the photo.

"Fine." I gave up. "Just make sure those photos never see the daylight ever again."

He nodded quickly with a smile forming on his face, showing his cute dimple.

"Don't think just because you're cute I forgive you." I went back to pick up my pencil to draw.

"So you think I'm cute?" Myungsoo suggested and I dropped my pencil. Why do I always do these kind of things that I end up regretting?

"You're distracting me," I said nonchalantly while shifting in my seat.

Myungsoo then placed himself right in front of me, resting his face on his palms, totally giving me a super cute face and I found myself shifting uncomfortably in my seat, totally avoiding eye contact. We sat in silence for a moment because I didn't want to look at him and I tried very hard to continue my drawing but Myungsoo was just being too distracting.

"Should we go see Howon instead? I wanna get some good photos of him dancing." He finally moved out of his 'cute' position and held out his camera.

I laughed and lightly punched his shoulders. "Sounds great."

Honestly, I've seen Howon danced before and he sure can move. No doubt, he's one of the best dancers I've ever met. Not that I met any other really awesome dancers but Howon puts his heart and soul into dancing. He is so passionate about it and he worked so hard just to be the awesome dancer he is today. Did I mention he performed at our annual carnival when he was only a junior? That's just how much talent he has.

As we neared the dance studios, we could easily hear the music echoing through the walls. We walked past rooms with many other dances practicing for the upcoming carnival showcase until we finally reached the end of the corridor. Just a small peak through the door, we could see Howon practicing his moves with his partner and that cause me to give a scowl. His partner was my classmate, Hyuna and the both of them had too much of a skinship for me to be okay with it.

Maybe I just wasn't used to Howon being around another girl, even as a dance partner. Or maybe I was just jealous. Okay, I am jealous. Myungsoo just stood next to me and watched the both of them dance but he didn't use his camera to take any candid photos. He was just so engrossed in their dance.

Finally, the music came to an end and they finished off their couple dance with an ending pose. Howon had to hold Hyuna close to him, one hand on her waist and the other cupping her cheeks. Hyuna had both her hands on his waist instead. They were both panting heavily and looking into each other's eyes when suddenly Hyuna leaned in closer to Howon and she kissed him.

I immediately covered my mouth to prevent myself from making any noise and I could feel Myungsoo's burning gaze on me. Without giving it much thought, I made a dash for it. I just ran and I don't even know where I'm running to but I'm just running. Myungsoo was calling out my name, I can hear his faint voice calling out for me but I can't stop running. I had to get away. Unknowingly, I could feel tears flowing down my cheeks but I just ran.

In front, there was a girl's toilet and I just ran in, hoping that Myungsoo wouldn't be able to find me this way. Running into a cubicle, I locked myself in and put the seat cover down. I sat there and I started crying. The image of Hyuna and Howon kissing replayed in my head again and again and I hated it. My chest tightened and tears just kept rolling down.

"Jung Yoojin! Jung Yoojin!" Myungsoo was shouting for me from the outside but I couldn't move. I couldn't let him see me crying this way. Jung Yoojin never cries. She never shows her weaknesses.

"Is there anybody else in there? I'm coming in!" I heard Myungsoo say as I tried to wipe away my tears. There was nobody else in the toilet because I could only hear myself crying.

"Jin? Yoojin?" Myungsoo's voice softened and I could hear his footsteps. I couldn't stop crying and I don't even know why but I just couldn't. I kept sniffing and wiping away my tears but more came to replace those I wiped away. It was frustrating as well. Why am I like this?

Suddenly, a voice called out for me from the top of the cubicle. Myungsoo had gone to the cubicle next to mine and climbed over from next door. He jumped and landed in front of me as though he was a skilled ninja who had no problem scaling walls. I looked up at him and I couldn't even bring myself to say a word. He wiped away my fresh tears and pulled me up into his embrace.

"Let's get out of here okay? I can't stay in the girl's restroom." And he escorted me out, keeping his arm around me the entire time.

We walked to a secluded part of the school compound, just behind the classrooms and I was already hiccupping because of all the crying just before. Myungsoo kept patting my back, trying to calm me down but he didn't say a word until I stopped crying.

"Jin… are you okay?" He said as he fixed my messy hair.

"I… I…" I didn't know what to say. My mind was blank and the scene kept replaying in my head. It just hurts so much. It's like a replay of the time when I thought Jongin oppa had thrown away my cupcakes but this time… It was Howon.

Never would I have expected myself to be so emotionally attached to Howon. This is just ridiculous. He's my best friend, my oldest friend. I never would have expected myself to like him or whatsoever, but here I am, crying because he kissed another girl. Another girl who is so much better than me. She is pretty, talented and everything other girls wanted to be. I'm just me. How can I ever compare to her?

"You like him don't you?" Myungsoo asked softly. I looked up at him, my eyes still stirring with tears. "You like Howon." Myungsoo continued.

I found myself fighting the tears again as they threatened to fall out because Myungsoo was spot on. Somewhere along the lines, I found myself liking Howon. Even though he's always teasing me, making fun of me, but he was always there for me too.

"It just happened." I whispered.

Myungsoo had pulled me into yet another hug. "It's okay. It's okay. It's okay." He repeated softly against my ears.

"Hyuna is a much better girl anyways."

Myungsoo then pulled away and looked me straight in the eye. "Don't you ever dare think you are less worthy for anyone. You are you and people like you for you. It's not about who is prettier, it's about what's inside. You hear me?" He looked angry when he was saying that, like he's about to lash at me for belittling myself but I just nodded.

"It's going to be okay." He whispered once more.

--

Myungsoo walked me back to the art room to pack up and get ready to go home. I don't know how am I going to face Howon later because we are all going to be going home together. It's going to be a disaster if I have to see him with Hyuna again. Just horrible.

Just then, there was another sound of the shutter as I was deep in my thought. I looked up only to see Myungsoo taking yet another candid photo of me.

"Yah," I punched him lightly. My eyes were puffy and I was still sniffling from all the crying before. I bet my eyes and nose were red and how could he just take a photo of me like that. It is just so embarrassing.

"Smile a little for me." He said behind the camera.

I broke into a small laugh and he took another photo.

"It's not going to be nice. I just cried! My eyes and nose are going to be so red." I complained as I started packing up my drawing pencils.

"I can always edit it." Myungsoo reassured me and I laughed. "I can keep you company later if you want. Then you won't have to face Howon."

My smile faded at the mention of the name. It was going to be hard to walk home with the rest especially with Howon there. I just don't know how to face him. So is he dating Hyuna now? Are they an item? The last time I checked, Howon wasn't dating anybody so are they really going out now? I have so many questions in my head that I wanted to ask him but I know I wouldn't be able to bring myself to. Also, will I be able to handle the answer? I don't know.

We then met up with the rest who were done with their practices and even Bomi was done with whichever poetry reading she had today. The atmosphere between us was just awkward. Or at least I felt so. Bomi has been avoiding me since earlier and now I'm avoiding Howon. He had made several remarks about me again but I just brushed it off like it didn't matter and I continued walking with Myungsoo by my side.

The whole walk home was a painful ordeal because we talked lesser and the whole time, it was mostly Woohyun talking to Sunggyu. Howon and Bomi walked silently and I walked quietly with Myungsoo as well. At this weird atmosphere, I'm guessing that the guys aren't going to hang out at my place today. It would just be weird.

It turns out that I was right. The guys didn't come over to my place today and they all went home for dinner like good kids. Once I got home, I had immediately texted Myungsoo to keep the whole incident that happened in the afternoon a secret. It wasn't important if they knew I cried or not but it was important to keep my little crush on Howon a secret. I don't want it to ruin our relationship so it has to stay a secret.

"Omma I'm home!" I shouted out once I'm home and I got a shock at the dining table. It contained so much food I think my family could eat this for the entire week.

"Oh, Howon and the rest are not coming over for dinner?" My mom questioned as she set the table, ready for the rest to appear anytime.

I shook my head and I kept quiet because I didn't want to tell her the reason why. It was because I'm avoiding Howon. I didn't talk to him as much as I used to when we were heading back home. Heck, I didn't even speak to him after that incident. I just want to ask him "are you with Hyuna or not?" If he said no, I'll be happy. If he said yes, what the hell do I do? Or maybe I didn't want to know. Gosh, this internal dilemma is killing me that I can't even have dinner in peace right now.

I didn't eat much and I didn't speak much as well. My mind just wasn't present as I kept thinking about the kiss. Hyuna is a wonderful girl and well, I'm just me. Oh wait, Myungsoo is going to kill me if I put myself down again. But I didn't really think much of myself. In the end, I didn’t have much to eat for dinner despite my mother cooking more than enough for three people.

"I'm full. I'll head up to my room first. Thanks for the meal." I said politely as I pushed my chair back. Right now, I'm just really tired and I don't want to think about this horrible day.

I sat in my room and flipped through my homework. Maybe, if you want to get your mind off something, you should study. I'm going to test this out and see if it actually works because nothing else can get me to study since I still don't get what to study in the future. I kept staring at the math textbook until I notice my phone buzzed.

I had received a text from Myungsoo.

Jin-ah, are you feeling better?

I smiled at the text before I started texting him a reply.

Yeah... I guess so.

A minute hasn't even passed at my phone buzzed again.

What do you mean you guess so? If you're not okay, you can let it out you know. I will be here.

I paused for a moment and the same question came back to me. Do I want to know if Howon is dating Hyuna? Do I really want to know?

I wonder if he's dating her.

This time, Myungsoo didn't reply instantly and while I was waiting for his reply, there was a knock on the front door. I went out of my room to see who could have come at such a late timing and I saw my mom greeting the last person I wanted to see the most right now. She was greeting Howon.

"Why are you here?" I asked, not meeting his eyes as he set his bag pack down in my room.

"To have a sleepover with my best friend. I even brought my stuff over so I don't have to rush off in the morning to get ready for school." He cocked his head towards the bag pack he just placed down.

"Go home, I'm tired." I said but Howon was already getting his usual stuff out. He is the last person I wanted to meet now because I didn't want myself to think of that horrible scene in the afternoon. All the images came back to me and I felt like I was going to cry again. I can't do that. Not in front of Howon.

I walked out of my room and ignored his presence, as I went to wash up. Instead of studying, maybe I should sleep it off. That would be better than studying to get rid of my troubles. Studying probably adds onto it.

After I got back, I found Howon laying down on the mattress he set for himself and he was reading a comic, as usual. I didn't want to be reminded anymore of the incident this afternoon and so I just laid on my bed with my back facing him.

"Jin," he called me but I just ignored him and tried to sleep.

"Jin," he repeated. "We've known each other since we were five. I can tell if you're avoiding me or not and from the way I see it, you are avoiding me now."

Bingo.

"I'm just tired."

"Really?" He challenged. "Or are you angry at me?"

Not really.

"I'm sorry, I should have told you." Howon continued.

Oh my god, here it goes. I shut my eyes tight, as if that could shut my ears tight as well.

"I told my parents… about wanting to pursue dancing and they…" He paused.

Wait what? Dancing? What about Hyuna?

"They're obviously not happy with it. They said that if I continue to dance after high school, that's it. They're sending me to an overseas university to learn about business and investments and all that crap that I'm not even interested in."

My eyes popped opened and I turned around to face him.

"You know my noona right? Lee Minji? She's the one who's interested in business and finance and all that investment stuff that I really don't give a crap about. She's the perfect candidate to take over the company in the future. It's not going to be me. I don't want to tie myself down to a huge company when all I want to do is just dance."

My expressions softened and I felt like I was about to cry again.

"Because of that we fought a lot. Whenever I went back home late, they would think that I'm out dancing and not focusing on my studies. Which is why I always came running back to your house. It's much more peaceful than mine."

"Howon-ah…" I started and my voice started to crack.

"I'm sorry I treated your place like a hotel. I'm sorry I didn't tell you my problems earlier. I'm sorry I still didn't tell you when you offered to listen. I just didn't want to bother you even more than I already am."

"My house will always welcome you. Even if I don't, my parents still will." I said and a tear escaped my eye. "And I'm not mad at you, I really am not."

Howon smiled at me and sat up from his lying down position. He reached out his hand and wiped the tear away. "Don't cry over something so silly." He joked.

"So you thought I was angry at you because you didn't tell me your problems?"

Howon scratched the back of his head and looked at the ceiling. "Well… you trusted that we are best friends and best friends tell each other everything. Don't they?"

A phone buzzed and I checked mine but it nobody had texted me. It must have been Howon's.

"It's not that. I'm just having a bad day" I lied. Technically, it wasn't a lie because I did have a bad day. Because of him.

"Even if you had a bad day you never avoided me Jin. You know you can always tell me anything as well." He spoke softly and I felt guilty. So he thought I was angry with him for not trusting me with his problems. He never mentioned anything about Hyuna or his love life or anything and so I felt bad for ignoring him when all he needed was someone to share his problems with.

Just then, right before we both fell asleep, my phone buzzed. It was a reply from Myungsoo.

I don't know either, but it seems like he's not having a great day as well.

Guilt was rising in me. I turned back to Howon and called his name.

"Work hard for the carnival dance. Show your parents what you have in you and maybe that'll convince them to let you continue with dance. They'll want the best for you because they're parents. Show them your best." I said to him.

Howon just smiled at me and I smiled back. For now, let's just forget about me getting all hurt and upset about him kissing another girl. For now, it's Howon who needs the comforting. For now, it's about Howon. Tonight I felt like I was a bad friend but at the same time, I was going to set things right.

 

 

 

 

 

 


First and foremost! I already know what half the comments are going to be about and I know you all are going to kill me but but but!!! friendly reminder that it's only chapter 14 guys!!! hahahaha okay I think you all are still going to kill me *runs and hide* please don't kill me yeah because, it's only CHAPTER 14!!!! (just me being a drama queen and writing all this drama) but I felt like this is such an important turn in the story where things are getting more exciting, don't you think???

Anyways, it's a friday and I have been waiting all week for this day!!!! Can't wait to enjoy my weekends even though I'll just spend it preparing my notes for lessons and homework that I have to do sigh.... however, I hope you guys are different from me and you guys actually get to enjoy your weekends okay! Have a great weekend everybody and do leave me a comment on the latest chappie! But please still, do not kill me. I love you all, I really do!!! *THROWS HEARTS* *and also go into hiding*