Chapter 4

A Little Thing About Love

First year in high school was also the time when I had a little crush on someone. Okay, I admit, it was more than a little. Howon would always make fun of me because he never really understood why I like him so much.

 

“I don’t think he’s that handsome. He’s just slightly above average.” Howon would used to say. “His football skills aren’t even that good, I’m actually better.”

 

I would always smack him in the head for saying that because the guy I had a crush on, was the captain of the football team. And for sure, he’s very handsome. Way handsome than Howon I would say.

 

Oh, before I forget, I would just like to mention that in the first year of high school, the five of us had all joined various clubs and societies that we liked. Sunggyu and Woohyun had tried out for the basketball team and they both got in. Howon actually tried out with them but despite making it to the team, he gave it up because his passion lies in dance instead. Which was why he ended up joining the dance club. Bomi ended up joining some poetry reading club and for me, I joined the art club despite my amateur skills but hey, passion is all you need right? Wrong. Okay, I’m just kidding because in all honesty, passion is really important and well, I’m a pretty average artist.

 

Anyways, so I saw my crush for the first time at the football field. They were having practice and the basketball court was just next to the football field. However, the smarty-pants Woohyun had left his basketball shoes in his locker and had texted me to get it for him. At first, I was reluctant because why should I do it for him? He has hands and legs himself. I was complaining about it to Bomi but she could only laugh. “Come on, let’s get that Nam Woohyun his shoes.” And so I reluctantly went to his locker with Bomi.

 

“Oh, did he tell you his locker combination?” Bomi asked as we neared the locker area.

 

“That blockhead only has one combination.” I gave her a wink and I began to unlock his locker. Woohyun was a simple-minded guy. There was no way he could remember more than one combination of numbers so he’s been using the same one since middle school. Guess I really know him too well. Bomi then mumbled something along the lines of “good for you” but I didn’t really catch it.

 

Once I got his shoes for him, the both of us then headed to the basketball court where they had just begun practicing. Woohyun was standing there in his attire with socks on, just waiting for me to hand him his shoes. He actually looked pretty funny since he was all ready except for his shoes. Even Sunggyu had begun practicing without him.

 

The both of us then walked up to him and I hid his shoes behind my back. “What would I do without you?” He said, expecting me to handover his shoes but who says he could get it for free. I held his shoes behind my back and tilted my head, as though I’m looking down on him. He should know what I want from him by now. A magic phrase of “thank you” would suffice.

 

With the both of us knowing each other too well, I know he wouldn’t say it to me, but I didn’t want to hand it to him without him saying as well. “Jung Yoojin.” He said sternly but I wouldn’t budge. “Hand over my shoes!” He closed the gap between us and tried to take his shoes from me but I dodged him, trying not to let him reach his shoes. However, his hands were obviously too long for me. He had caught me in an awkward hug, with both his arms wrapped around me as he was trying to reach for his shoes behind my back.

 

That moment was so awkward. It wasn’t as though we hadn’t hugged before but that position and all was just way too weird and I could feel the heat creeping up my cheeks. Furthermore, we hugged when we were kids, not grown teenagers.

 

I ended up giving in to him because I didn’t want to stay in that position any longer plus I could feel the stares coming from the basketball team. “That wasn’t so hard, was it?” Woohyun winked at me and I wanted to hit him so badly for winning this small ‘fight’ of ours. This boy… he used to be such a sweet kid but look at him all grown up and influenced by the devil Lee Howon. I mentally cursed Howon in my head for changing Woohyun when a bottle came flying towards me. If it weren’t for my super awesome reflexes, it would’ve hit my head once again.

 

“Meanwhile, could you get me some water?” Woohyun smirked, “and hi there Bomi!” Bomi laughed at his playfulness and I was speechless because he was treating me like his servant?! He didn’t even acknowledge me but he greeted Bomi?! The world is so unfair.

 

“Yah Woohyun! Stop flirting with your girlfriend and come practice!” Some random dude at the basketball court shouted out and he immediately went to put on his shoes. I was in shock because no, I wasn’t his girlfriend and sure as hell wouldn’t want to be his girlfriend.

 

“I’m not his girlfriend!” I yelled back to whoever that was and headed to the water cooler to get him his water. I may be annoyed with that prick but I am still his friend. His best friend.

 

With a frown on my face, I started filling his water with Bomi standing behind me. “Isn’t he funny?” She started laughing.

 

“Yoon Bomi, are you laughing at my misfortune?” I sulked as I turned around without capping the bottle but it wasn’t Bomi who was standing there behind me, it was another guy. As I turned, I had actually bumped into him and spilled water all over his shirt by accident.

 

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry! I—“ I looked up, only to see the most handsome face I’ve ever seen in my entire life. Yes, he was that handsome.

 

Despite having water all over his shirt, he managed out a smile. “It’s alright, I’m drenched in sweat anyway. Just be careful next time.” He said as he proceeded to drink from the water cooler. I stood frozen in place, still stunned by his handsome features when he turned back to face me once he was done. He gave me a smile before heading back to the football field to train. Behind the back of his shirt had his name printed—Kim Jongin.

 

From then on, I was mesmerized by his devilishly good looks and off the charts skills in football. I then found out by slightly stalking him, just slightly alright I’m not a crazy girl, that he was the captain of the football team and he was a second year student, just a year older than I am. He was also one of the most popular guys in school because of his good looks and his talent in football. His best friend was also in second year playing football with him and his name is Oh Sehun. The two were the most popular guys but I think Kim Jongin was way handsome than Oh Sehun.

 

Since then, I never really got to talk to him but I always found an excuse to go over to the basketball court to hang out. My excuse would be to watch Woohyun and Sunggyu train but I would be secretly looking over to the football field, hoping to spot Kim Jongin in action. Bomi would happily follow me for whatever reason I’m not sure but I’m sure she wants to hang out as well. I guess that’s why she willingly came along with me anyways.

 

I even drew some sketches while I sat at the bleachers looking at the basketball guys, or rather, football guys train. It was just a way to kill time. However, my actions may seem a little different to the basketball guys. I could hear them making fun of Woohyun during break time that his girlfriend was waiting for him to end practice. I would shout at them that I’m not his girlfriend but it seems like they took my denial as a confirmation that I really am his girlfriend.

 

I even tried to clarify that I was waiting for Sunggyu as well but that basketball guys would always say that Sunggyu was just an excuse. Well, he isn’t alright. Kim Sunggyu was too precious a friend to be an excuse. Woohyun was the excuse. The excuse for me to look at the almighty Kim Jongin train under the hot sun. The way his sweat trails down his jawline… okay, I’m going into too much detail.

 

“Why won’t they stop teasing me with Woohyun.” I whined to Bomi as I sketched the landscape of the football field.

 

“Maybe because you’re always here waiting for him. Say, do you really like him?” Bomi asked without taking her eyes off the book she was reading.

 

“Yah Yoon Bomi! Even you doubt me? You can’t doubt me, you’re my friend, you have to be by my side! Why would I even date someone like Nam Woohyun? He’s the worst I tell you, the worst.” I exaggerated.

 

“He’s pretty alright I think.” She laughed.

 

“That’s because he’s nice to you. He’s never nice to me.” Which was true because ever since he found out I’ve been going to the bleachers to watch them train, he would always get me to refill his bottle, fetch him some snacks, get him a towel and all sorts of weird things. He never made Bomi do those stuff, it was always me. Oh how I want to karate chop that guy’s hands off. No wait, if he loses his hands, I’ll have to do more things for him. I take that back.

 

The kind Sunggyu had actually told me that the guys were only mocking Woohun and I shouldn’t be too affected because they didn’t really think we were dating. I think Sunggyu is just to kind because I really doubt so. The basketball guys can be a bit immature sometimes.

 

Anyways, so I had this little crush, okay huge crush on Kim Jongin and I never really told anybody. Not even Bomi. I was thinking that I could keep it a secret but boy I was wrong. Someone had to find out and he had to tease me about it. I guess you guys would already know who it was. Yes, the ever-annoying best friend of mine, Lee Howon.

 

He really isn’t suppose to find out but that day, something miraculous happened and he just found out. That fateful day, Bomi had told me she couldn’t hang out with me after class because she had to run some errands for her parents. I told her it was fine and I would head to the bleachers myself and draw in peace but Lee Howon had to disturb my short-lived peace.

 

“Dance practice got cancelled today and so I’ve heard Nam Woohyun’s girlfriend comes here to watch him train during every practice.” He looked around, as thought searching for someone, “I wonder where she is.”

 

 I took my sketchbook and hit him on the head with it. “Nam Woohyun’s so-called girlfriend is here! I swear I’ll kill those basketball guys someday.”

 

“Whoa relax girl, since when are you two dating? How could you not even tell me?” He wiggled his eyebrows, giving me the suggestive look. Well, he earned himself another hit on the head because of all the nonsense he was sprouting.

 

“Just shut up and let me draw in peace.” I opened up my sketchbook and continued my sketch of the football field from last time. Howon just had to be nosy and pocked his head into my incomplete drawing.

 

“Why are you drawing the football field and not the basketball court? You know anybody from the football team?” I shook my head, ignoring his comment because I sure as hell wouldn’t tell him about my not-so-small crush. Technically, I wouldn’t call it a crush at that point in time. It was maybe a small infatuation because Kim Jongin was ridiculously good looking and I simply adore him.

 

 Howon wouldn’t stop asking me questions and I got so frustrated because he wouldn’t let me draw in peace that I decided to move to a different place. Not caring that he was still following me around. Feeling the anger boiling, I turned around to give him a piece of my mind. “Yah Lee Howon, stop following me will you? If you want to follow me then stop asking me questions! I like the football field so why can’t I draw the football field! If you like the basketball court so much, you can go draw it yourself.” I barked at him before I my heels to continue walking. Instead, I had bumped into someone when I turned. It was Kim Jongin.

 

He was about to go get some water during his break when I bumped into him. The second time. I could feel my face heating up as I faced him and he gave me that million-dollar smile I loved to see. “So you like the football field huh?”

 

“I… I…” I was stuttering and I almost slapped myself for saying something so stupid next. “The grass is pretty.”

 

I should have slapped myself because thinking back, it was such a stupid comment. Ugh, Jung Yoojin you are hopeless.

 

Howon was stifling his chuckle behind me and I made a mental note to karate chop his head off later.

 

“I always see you at the bleachers drawing but I always thought you were looking at the basketball court since your boyfriend is on the team.”

 

“B-boyfriend?” I stuttered again and there was another chuckle from behind. How I wish I could have stop stuttering in front of this gorgeous man.

 

“That’s what I heard from the basketball guys anyways.” He smirked. He then looked down at my sketchbook and saw the half complete drawing that I drew of the football field. It was not yet completed but I would say it still looked good. Hey, was pretty okay in my drawings.

 

“It’s beautiful.” He complimented my drawing and I swore I blushed a deeper shade of red. Here I was, talking to the man of my dreams, my prince charming, and he had even complimented my drawing! I was squealing internally when he suddenly introduced himself. “I’m Kim Jongin by the way.”
 

I was most definitely caught by surprise because I just stood there, shocked. Howon then nudged me from the back and I finally remembered how to speak. “I’m Jung Yoojin.” I said shyly as I tucked a bit of loose hair behind my ear.

 

The next thing he said shocked me even more and it just made me crush on him even harder. “I know. The girl who had spilled water all over me right?” Because he remembered me from our first encounter. He remembers me! I swear my face was as red as an apple when I heard that. Kim Jongin then left to get his water after giving me his signature smile. I then turned in the direction he went and shouted back at him, “by the way Nam Woohyun is not my boyfriend!”

 

I couldn’t let him think that Woohyun is my boyfriend, no matter what the basketball guys said. I swear I will karate chop their heads off one by one someday if they keep spreading the rumour. Kim Jongin doesn’t need to hear that sort of rumours. “He knows me now! He knows me now!” I was squealing in my head, as I knew Howon was still behind me. My face had been painted with the brightest smile I ever had and I couldn’t stop smiling because of this fateful encounter.

 

Howon then walked next to me and he just stared at me, his gaze burning into my skin. “What do you want?” I smacked him again for ruining my happy moment as his face just popped in front of me while I was thinking of Kim Jongin. Howon let out a chuckle, “Jung Yoojin, you are caught!” He pointed a finger at me.

 

Little did I know, Howon knowing about me crush just had to be the most annoying thing ever, so annoying I wished he wasn’t even there in the first place. Oh, what a fateful day. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


As I apologized in my other story about not updating earlier, I would like to apologize to my readers of this story as well. I'm very very sorry becuase I was super busy but yay I'm free today so I updated this story as well!!! I wanted to update both stories on different days becuase of my busy schedule but I realised that I may be even busier on other days so I should just update everything at once on my free day hehehehe. 

A light hearted chapter about Yoojin's first crush!! I'm guessing some of you would have thought it would be Myungsoo instead of Kai right???? Hahahaha well, Myungsoo isn't going to appear yet but he will soon... a few more chapters so Myungsoo stans please hang in there!!! He will make his grand appearance soon! ;) Do comment and let me know what you think becuase I really appreciate comments from my lovely readers (you guys are the best seriously) and if you haven't gotten used to it, you better because I'm going to confess my love again. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!