Chapter 18

A Little Thing About Love

Setting aside everything, this week I'm focused on one thing. My studies. Do I sound confident yet? No? Maybe because I really am not confident. Today marks the start of our exams and I am so determined to do well. It's like the last chance I have to prove myself to the teachers that I can make it to not just any university, but the best university in Seoul—Seoul National University. I guess it just somehow became my goal along the way. Remember when I said I had no goals for my future? I figured I'd start with the university. What do I want to study, I'm still not sure but if I studied hard and get good results, I'm pretty sure I'm able to choose what I really want to do instead of just choosing what my score takes me to.

 

 

 


Also, Sunggyu has been tutoring me so much in every free time he has got and I am not going to waste his efforts. I'm going to do well and do him proud.

"Don't be nervous." A voice said by my side and I looked up to see Myungsoo standing next to me. We were just heading to our class where the exams will take place.

"I'm not nervous." I tried my best to speak calmly when in fact, I'm really nervous.

I didn't even notice that my hands were shaking when Myungsoo grabbed my hand by my side. "Your hands are shaking."

I looked at out intertwined hands and I suddenly felt much better. Maybe it's because of the reassurance, I felt my heart calming down and I took a deep breath. "Keep calm and show them what Sunggyu has been teaching you." Myungsoo reassured me once more before we headed in to the class.

Today, the exams started and even though it's not the most important exam yet, I, Jung Yoojin am scared as heck.

--

"C'mon Gyu! There's going to be no more space if we go there late!" I grabbed Sunggyu's hand immediately once I saw him at the hallways.

"Wait Jin, don't you want to have lunch first before studying?" Woohyun asked as the rest of the others gathered.

"What if the common space outside the library runs out? We won't be able to study!" I freaked out at the thought of not getting a space where Sunggyu could study with me and help me prepare for the exams.

"How about you guys head there first and we'll get you lunch?" Myungsoo suggested.

"Sounds good to me!" Howon said as he started walking in that direction.

"Yah! He's not talking about you!" I went to stop Howon but he was obviously too strong for me. Without knowing how he did it, he managed to release himself from my grip and headlock me instead.

"Let's go Jin!" He waved the others goodbye as they went to get food for us and dragged me away in that position. Sunggyu was following behind us and I could hear him chuckling.

"Help! Gyu help!" I tried to get Sunggyu to help me but he was busy laughing away. Changing my tactic, I elbowed Howon in the gut but boy this guy had a strong gut. I could feel his abs through his shirt because his abdomen area was hard. I'm not even kidding. Rock hard. I felt myself blushing at the thought of him having abs and I just reluctantly let him drag me away before I could say or do something stupid under the influence of his godly presence yet again.

The rest actually came back pretty fast as they got our lunches for us. "Here's your favourite!" Woohyun said as he placed a lunchbox right in front of me. It was my favourite kimchi fried rice from the school cafeteria. I swear their kimchi fried rice is the best. Maybe second best, because my mom's is still the best.

"Woohyunie jjang!" I thanked him as I dig in. Because of all the racking of my brains just now during the exam, I am famished. As I ate, I felt someone staring at me and I turned to realize that it was Bomi. She quickly avoided my gaze and went back to eat her own food.

I frowned because I have wanted to talk to Bomi for so long but she wouldn't give me the chance to. After the exams. After the exams, I will confront Bomi no matter what. I have to talk to her if not we'll end up being strangers.

"Jin-ah," Woohyun said during the middle of our sacred lunchtime. "Why are you always hanging out with Gyu now? What about us?" He pouted lightly at the mention of the lack of time spent with him.

"I svent a whole lof of pime wif you fuys everyday!" I said with my mouth full of rice and Howon glared at me.

"Chew then talk. Chew then talk!" He scolded me and I gave my signature glare. It was an awkward moment because I saw a different look he had in him. I don't know what it was but it was just different and I immediately broke away the gaze.

After we were done with lunch, Sunggyu gave me a crash course as we did before the exams started. I felt bad because he was always helping me instead of doing his own studying and I even asked him if he needed time for his own revision.

"Teaching you is a revision for me so I'm fine. I really am. Let me know if you're still confused okay?" He said nicely and I felt bad. I couldn't expect Sunggyu to babysit me all the way till university right? Nevertheless, I am always grateful for his patience and so I found myself working harder than ever for this exam. I had to do him justice and do him proud.

The rest of the week consisted of Sunggyu teaching me and us studying for the rest of the papers. Despite thinking that it was such a long torture, the week actually flew by really quickly and it was finally our last paper. The six of us had planned a gathering after our last paper and I really can't wait. Even though we hang out like all the time, we are finally going to have some fun instead of studying.

The first thing I did when I came out of the exam room was let out a loud scream in the hallways and Myungsoo, who was next to me, got a shock. Actually, I wasn't the only one screaming because other students were screaming along the hallways too. We were all just glad that this hell is over, albeit not the real hell we will be facing at the end of the year.

"Come on! I can't wait!" I said as I dragged Myungsoo along to meet the others. We are finally going to go out and have some fun instead of going to the boring old library.

Our definition of fun? As high school students, our definition of fun was to hang out at the mall near our school. Yes, that is fun. It doesn't matter if your allowance isn't enough; it was still fun to go window-shopping like as though you had all the money in the world. But first things first, we have to go settle our hungry stomachs.

After spending a long time deciding, we finally decided on Chinese food because I was craving for some jjajangmyun.Thank you guys for accommodating me.

Lunch was filled with the usual noise because the six of us together are really noisy. Maybe it's just Woohyun and his usual drama queen self but it's all the same.

"So how did you guys find the exams?" Woohyun asked as we were waiting for our lunch to arrive. Sunggyu merely nodded and I knew he was going to do well. That smart kid. Even Bomi looked confident as well because she is a smart kid. Come on, her family is smart. She has a super smart brother in university at the moment. Only Howon and I groaned.

I mean, I'm confident that I will improve with Sunggyu's help and besides, I have been putting in a lot of effort this time. However, I never escaped from the average band. It would be tough to want to admit into one of the best universities in Seoul. "I just hope I don't disappoint Gyu." I mumbled and Sunggyu gave me those eyes that said, "it's alright. You did your best."

The reason for Howon's groan? I'm not sure. "I need to do well too." He said, frowning. Is this because of his parents? Did they come to a conclusion of letting him dance if he does well? I'm not sure about that as well but luckily our lunch was served in time for me to worry about Howon any longer.

I was so hungry that I immediately chucked down my jjajangmyun when it arrived and I was eating so fast that I actually choked.

"Slow down Jin." Sunggyu said as he patted me on the back so that I can stop coughing. Just then, both Woohyun and Howon offered their cup of water to me and I was stunned. Sitting there, I didn't know which cup of water I should take and it became an awkward moment as everybody at the table was staring at me. Even Howon and Woohyun both look shocked. If I took Howon's water, I wonder what will Woohyun think. He's always sensitive about things like that considering how worked up he got when he found out about Howon staying over. Also, will it be obvious that I kinda like Howon?

I was about to grab Woohyun's cup of water when Myungsoo suddenly offered his, his eyes sending me signals because I can tell he totally knows what I'm thinking. The only way to get out of this was to take his water and I grabbed his cup and drank it all in one shot.

The situation at the table the returned to normal, as though what just happened didn't happen. The others were talking normally and I was busy eating my noodles, finishing it all but still leaving me unsatisfied. I also noticed that Myungsoo wasn't eating much and he kept eating the pickled radish instead of the main dish. He ate about half of the bowl and he finally stopped.

"Myung, if you aren't going to finish it, can I have it?" I asked with a greedy smile on my face.

"Yah, your appetite is insatiable. Can you stop pigging out?" Howon scolded and I glared at him. Why I ought to karate chop his hands off and eat his noodles instead. Okay, I'm just kidding. But I was really hungry and I can still have another serving.

"It's okay, I'm not that hungry anyways, Jin can have the rest." Myungsoo said and he handed his bowl over.

"Asa!" I exclaimed and ignore the look Howon was giving me. I could sense that he was looking at me as I ate and so I tried to be less of a pig. For the first time, I am actually conscious of the way I eat. It was as though I didn't want Howon to catch me in an unpleasant situation when he's already seen all the ugly sides of me. Bomi was eating quietly and I noticed that Bomi just looks so graceful when she's eating. Why can't I look just as graceful too?

Anyways, after lunch, the six of us then walked around the mall to find something else to do. We then settled on watching a movie that is starring Kim Woobin and I couldn't wait because Kim Woobin is so damn hot! I got so excited just thinking about seeing his handsome face on the big screen.

"I thought you liked Shinee?" Howon asked as he saw me fangirling all over Kim Woobin.

"Shinee is my favourite idol group. Kim Woobin is my favourite actor!" I clarified.

"I thought your favourite actor was Kim Soohyun?" Woohyun asked, confused.

"No no, I thought it was Park Seo Joon?" Sunggyu added in.

I smiled and stared at my best friends. "A girl can have not one, not two, but as many favourite actors as she likes." I pointed out. All the above mentioned names are my favourite actors and you can't ask me to choose because they are all amazing. "Just ask Bomi!" I added in at the end and Bomi looked like she was a deer caught in headlights. Her eyes widened and she was stunned considering how we haven't had a proper conversation in some time.

"Don't you have many actors that you like?" I asked Bomi again.

"I only like Song Joong Ki." She replied and I didn't know what else to say.

"See see see! If there was a female version of Casanova, it'll be you." Howon said and he gave me a forehead flick. I shouted at him because it hurt and no doubt this Lee Howon loves picking on me. Without giving me a chance for revenge, he immediately walked away, into the theatres. I made a funny face at his back view and followed closely behind.

It was actually a bad choice to follow Howon so closely. The seating arrangements ended up like this: Sunggyu, Howon, me, Woohyun, Bomi, Myungsoo. Can you now imagine how I felt sitting in between the two Devils? Okay, that's not the point but sitting next to Howon in the theatres has got to be one of my worst mistakes in life. How do I sit next to him and watch a movie comfortably without being so self-conscious and wanting to look at him? It was torturous. Both of us had put our elbows at the armrest and our elbows kept touching. Howon didn't seem to mind but I felt so self-conscious about it. I kept glancing sideways to see if Howon had any reaction or whatsoever but his eyes were fixated to the screen.

Luckily for me, Woohyun had saved my life by asking if I wanted popcorn in the middle of the movie. I ended up sticking closer to Woohyun than Howon since we were sharing popcorn. Albeit I kept stealing glances at Howon and his focused expression was incredibly handsome. How did I not notice this before? We basically grew up together and see each other everyday, how did I miss seeing that small little boy from my memories grow up to be such a handsome man?

Therefore, I was being distracted the entire movie and I couldn't even pay much attention to Kim Woobin, it was all Howon's fault. Or maybe just my fault for noticing him the entire time instead of Kim Woobin. Ugh Jung Yoojin, get your mind straight! What in the world are you thinking?! That guy is your best friend!

"Best friend," I mumbled once more to myself when we exited the theatres.

"What did you say?" Myungsoo said as he stood next to me all of a sudden.

"E-eh? N-nothing." I stuttered at the surprise attack of Myungsoo.

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow and I just stuck out my tongue at him, to change the topic. For a moment, I realized that Myungsoo looked kinda tired.

"Are you tired or anything?" I asked Myungsoo casually.

He shook his head and continued walking and I just nodded. If he says so.

Anyway, after the movie, we hung out at the mall for a little longer before we all decided to call it a day. As we were walking back, I figured this would be the nice time to talk to Bomi. I had to confront her after avoiding it for so long. I don't want us to drift apart or anything, we are best friends.

So after we parted ways, I went home to change and I texted Bomi.

Meet me at the street we meet every morning.

I decided that I wasn't going to give up so easily. If she comes up with any excuse, I will have to find another way because I didn't want to avoid her anymore. I had to talk to my best friend. Surprisingly, she replied me fairly quickly than I expected.

Okay.

Yes! I am finally going to talk to Bomi! I immediately left my house and walked to the street where we meet almost everyday. Kicking the tiny pebbles on the way there, I then realized that I don't even know what to say. Yes, there are so many things I want to ask her and I want to say to her but I don't even know where to start.

Bomi had arrived faster than me because well, that street was nearer to her house and I saw her standing there, like a beautiful goddess she is. I smiled and waved at her enthusiastically. You just gotta do what you gotta do Jin. Self-hypnotism. I hope that works.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey," she replied me the usual shy and quiet Bomi way.

"So…" Gosh, I really don't know where to ever start. There was silence on the other part because I know, Bomi isn't the type to confront others. One other thing I realize was, she's still not meeting my eye. "Are you avoiding me?" I asked her directly. Yes, I know there are other ways to go about doing this but I just asked her directly because I really didn’t know what to say.

She immediately looked up as though she was shocked by the question and she looked away.

"So you are avoiding me." I breathed out, feeling disappointed. I thought back to the day it all happened, when I saw her outside Woohyun's home. Ever since that day, things have been different. Perhaps something happened to her that only Woohyun knew? Just like how only I know of Howon and Sunggyu's problem?

"Did something happen to you?" I asked carefully as though I was walking on glass.

Bomi shook her head quickly.

"You can always tell me everything you know, I'll be listening. I'm your best friend, aren't I?" I tried to coax it out of her or just to let her know that I'll always be there for her anyways.

Even though Bomi wasn't looking at me straight in the face, I could see her eyes reddening and tears were threatening to fall. Throughout these years, I have never seen Bomi cry before and now she was about to cry in front of me.

Not knowing what to do, I went up to take her hand. "It's okay if you're having a hard time, you don't have to tell me, I will be here for you." I tired to comfort her. This time, Bomi finally looked at me straight in the eye but something was wrong with her gaze.

"Stop!" She cried out, the tears falling and she broke free from my hand, leaving me startled. "J-just st-stop." Bomi was crying. "I'm… I'm tired. Just go." Her pale face was reddening because of all the crying. She turned around and walked back in the direction of her house, breaking into a run soon later.

I stood there, not knowing what to do because this is the first time I have see Bomi acting like this. The usual soft and shy Bomi was gone. She was replaced by a sad persona that I have never seen. Is she going through something I do not know? I felt bad for not knowing her problems sooner. Maybe if I were there for her earlier, she wouldn't be so defensive about it? I wanted to be there for her, I wanted to be there for my best friend.

--

The following week was the release of results. It was quick considering how we just ended our exams a few days ago but the teachers were working overtime just so they can release the results before the grad trip. There was only one day of school this week and we have the rest of the days off to pack for the trip because the trip is just next week.

This morning, the atmosphere was different because number one, my confrontation with Bomi did not go well and she was not talking to me at all. She doesn't even want to look at me. Number two, Myungsoo had texted me saying that he fell sick and wouldn't be able to go to school to collect his results this morning. I texted him back to rest well and I will get his results for him so he does not have to worry.

As we walked to school, I kept stealing glances at Bomi but she was really good at keeping her gaze straight. I then decided to pull Woohyun to a side to talk to him instead. Other than me, Woohyun is thus next person closest to Bomi so I figure I should get Woohyun to talk to her instead. Just as I dragged Woohyun away, Bomi finally had a shift in her gaze. I could see that she was glancing sideways at Woohyun and I.

"Waeyo?" Woohyun said sleepily as I held him by his elbow.

"Yah, don't you think Bomi is acting strange? Do you think she has some sort of problem and she needs help? Do you think she's okay?" I whispered frantically and Woohyun gave me a puzzled look.

"One by one okay. Ask the questions one by one." He said and I smacked him in the chest. Can he please be more serious for just a bit?

"Yah! I'm being serious!" I raised my voice a little and the others took a glance at Woohyun and I. I smiled back awkwardly and returned to talking to Woohyun. "Can't you see she's avoiding me? I just want to know if she's okay, can you talk to her for me please?"

Woohyun's expression stiffened and I knew by then, he probably knows what's going on in Bomi's life. He probably knows but Bomi is making him keep it a secret, just like how I kept Sunggyu and Howon's secret.

"I'll talk to her." He said, a wave of seriousness spread across his face.

"Thanks." I whispered back as we approached the school gates. Just in time to get back those results that I really dread.

Maybe I don't dread them, because I really want to see how Sunggyu's teaching affected my studies but I was also worried that I wouldn't do well. If I didn't do well, not only will my parents be disappointed in me, Sunggyu will too. After all, he had spent a lot of time coaching me and guiding me. My parents would probably say that it's okay, I tried my best, but I know all too well that they would be sad about it. I just want to do them proud you know. For my parents and for Sunggyu.

It felt weird without Myungsoo next to me since he was always there since the start of the year. However, I managed to survive two years without him so I can survive a day. Besides, Myungsoo fell sick.

"Hey! Are you excited for your results?" Jieun turned to ask me.

"I kinda want to know but I don't want to know. You know what I'm saying?" I replied and Jieun nodded enthusiastically.

"Me too!" She exclaimed and we laughed to ease our nerves.

"Eh? Where's Myungsoo?" Jooyeon asked as she saw nobody next to me. "He didn't come to school?"

"Ah, Myung is sick."

Before we could even talk more about how nervous we are for our midterm results, Mr Choi came in promptly and everybody kept their mouths shut. He had the result slips in his hand and we all got jittery.

"As you know, this midterm result is not a reflection of your final college entrance test so if you do well, keep it up and if you don't, you better start working hard. Do not be dejected by your results, it only means you have room for improvement." Mr Choi started off and there were whispers all across the classroom.

"Okay," he boomed as he held out the result slips that we were all looking forward to. Okay maybe everybody but not me. I am so scared and there's nobody next to me to ease my fear. "We'll start by announcing the top three in our class."

Mr Choi cleared his throat and everybody quietened down. "Coming in third, Lee Soomin." The whole class clapped for her as she walked up to get her result slip.

"Second place goes to Park Junsung." The class clapped again and I gapped. That guy looked like he plays football all day and not study but wow, he got second placing. That's really surprising.

"First place…" Mr Choi started and then he looked at me. Deep down, I knew that I couldn't have been the one to get first so how is Mr Choi looking at me? Did I do something wrong again? "Yoojin, where's Myungsoo?" I let out a sigh of relief. So he just wanted to ask me where Myungsoo was.

"Myungsoo is sick, Mr Choi." I added in his name just to be safe.

"Well it's a pity he's not here because not only did Myungsoo haksaeng top the class, he came in third in the whole cohort." The whole class clapped and cheered even though Myungsoo wasn't here. Third in the whole cohort is very impressive! How did he even get into my class when he's so smart? He should have been in Sunggyu's class or something since the top ten in the cohort always come from the best class.

"Mr Choi, I will collect on his behalf and pass it to him after school." I said and Mr Choi nodded. I swear I saw Krystal Jung giving me a look when I said that. She's probably just jealous but I'm only his best friend. She doesn’t have to worry.

Mr Choi then returned our results one by one and when he called out my name, I panicked. Taking heavy steps, I walked up to him, not daring to meet his eye. Until he addressed me personally.

"Good job Yoojin, you improved a lot." He said as he handed me my result slip. "Keep up the good work." Mr Choi smiled. For the first time in my three years of high school, Mr Choi smiled at me instead of giving me his usual fierce look!

I stared at my results and I think I am going to cry. Tears of joy. "Thank you Mr Choi!" I said, feeling touched and I headed back to my seat. I did improve! And by a hell lot! For the first time in my life, I escaped the average band. I got the tenth position in class! My biology improved so much I bet my biology teacher would be so proud of me. Thank you Kim Sunggyu! It feels good to know that I didn't disappoint him.

"Yah, how did you do!" Jieun immediately turned around to steal a glance at my result slip and she gasped. "Omo Jung Yoojin!" She squealed.

"Omo!" Jooyeon exclaimed as well as she saw my grades.

My eyes were still wet even though tears didn't fall out but I'm still extremely extremely happy. I couldn't wait to tell the others, especially Sunggyu, so I could thank him for helping me.

--

When I told the others about my fairly impressive improvement, they all congratulated me. Woohyun even gave me a hug, squishing me until I couldn't breathe.

"Yah! Namu!" I shouted as I tried to break away from his strong grasp. He then finally let me go but I was caught in someone else's arms. More like I was being head locked.

"I didn't know you had that in you Jin! Tell me how did you do it!" He said as he kept me in the head locked and I wanted to elbow him in the gut but I thought back about when I elbowed him previously and I felt shy at the thought of elbowing him again. I mean, he has freaking abs. Isn't that all girl's weakness?

"Yah yah, Lee Howon, let me go! Before I karate chop your hands off!" I shouted, using a verbal attack against him this time. He then finally decided to let me poor head off and I touched my own neck while pretending to cough.

Even Bomi, who has been avoiding me all these while, came to congratulate me and I smiled at her.

"Thanks Bomi."

And she nodded in acknowledgment.

"Of course, all these would not have been possible without the help of Kim Sunggyu!" I exclaimed and I went over to give him a hug, catching him by surprise.

Sunggyu returned the hug and he looked like a pleased father. "I knew you could do it."

"Without your help I wouldn't have made it. Give yourself some credit Gyu, you did help me a lot." I winked. "You need to help me till the college entrance exams, I'm not going to let you off!" I joked but Sunggyu seemed to take it seriously.

"I will be glad to."

"I'm just kidding Gyu."

"And I'm not." He smiled. I returned the favour because where in the world are you going to find someone as kind-hearted and caring as Sunggyu? He really is the kindest of them all. And of course, he topped the entire cohort.

"Knew you could do it." I congratulated him.

"Stop using my words." He joked.

Bomi did fairly well herself too as she got second in her class. Howon got third in his class and even Woohyun did well. He managed to get fifth in his class. Everybody did well and I'm happy for them but there was a different look in Howon's eyes. Uh-oh, it must have been about his parents. It has to be. Everybody was happy at their results but Howon looked… neutral. He didn't look happy but he didn't look too sad as well, I figured he must have tried to hide his feelings again.

I made a mental note to talk to him later after I've settled stuff with Myungsoo.

Speaking about Myungsoo, I realized I didn't know which house he stays in so I had to call him to make sure that I was at the correct place. When he picked up the call, Myungsoo's voice sounded strained and tired, as though I just woke him up from his sleep. Maybe I did.

Anyways, when I finally arrived at Myungsoo's home, I expected someone else to come get the door but it was a small boy that came to get the door. For a moment, I was stunned. Since when did Myungsoo change from an eighteen year old to a five year old? I then remembered my first encounter with Myungsoo and I looked at the little boy, looking like a handsome mini Myungsoo.

"Noona!" The younger boy greeted me with a smile on his face, our previous unpleasant experience completely forgotten. Maybe he only remembered the good stuff. "Are you hyung's girlfriend?"

My jaw dropped.

"Yah! Kim Myungho!" A voice came from behind the door and I recognized it right away. It was Myungsoo. "Come in Jin."

I stepped into his cosy home and looked around. The walls were white but the place was really nicely decorated. It was as though the place was straight out of a furniture shop magazine or something. Everything was just pretty and neatly arranged. It also felt so cosy and I just feel like lying down and not moving. If I were Myungsoo, I wouldn't leave my beautiful home.

"So noona, are you hyung's girlfriend?" Myungsoo's brother, Myungho, asked me once more.

"Kim Myungho!" Myungsoo scolded his brother but his brother wasn't backing down.

"Hyung, this is the first girl to visit our house! Is she the girl you say you've been hanging out with? So is she your girlfriend?"

Myungsoo immediately picked the little boy up and covered his mouth.

"In your room you go! Go play with your toys or something." He then brought Myungho to the room that was the farthest away from the living room before reappearing.

"Yah, Myung, your brother is so cute!"

"He is not. And he talks a lot now so just ignore him please." Myungsoo said. "And have a seat, I'll go get you something to drink." Myungsoo then walked towards the kitchen.

"So am I really the first girl to visit? Did you mention about me to your family?" I called out behind him as I followed him to the kitchen. I wonder what did he tell his family about me. Good things? Or bad things? Probably not bad right?

He then handed me a cup of water and sighed. "Yes and yes. Happy?"

"Oh my gosh, you really did? What did you say?!" I asked, getting my hopes up because I really wonder what do my friends say about me. I always tell my parents about my close friends and they've even seen them all so I wonder what it would be like the other way round.

Myungsoo then leaned in close to me, "that's for me to know, and you to find out." He whispered and I scowled at him.

"Anyway, what are you here for?" He finally asked the real question.

"Right! Your results slip!" I rummaged my bag for that important piece of paper. "Yah, Kim Myungsoo, looks like you have more this just a pretty face, there's actually something in there." I smirked as I handed him his results. "Congratulations on topping the class and being third in the cohort."

Myungsoo smiled back at me. "Thanks Jin."

"Oh yeah, what happened to you? How did you fall sick?"

"It's nothing serious," Myungsoo just brushed it off normally. "Just a minor indigestion."

"Take care then, next week is the grad trip, you can't afford to be sick now!"

Myungsoo was just about to say something when the door suddenly opened.

"Myungsoo-ah! Myungho-ah! Omma—annyeonghaseyo!"

"Annyeonghaseyo!" I bowed back politely and I figured the woman must be his mother. They have the same eyes. "I'm Jung Yoojin."

"Omo! So you are Jung Yoojin! It's so nice of you to visit Myungsoo when he's sick, no wonder Myungsoo says you are his best friend!"

"I—" I was about to correct her that I came to hand him his result slip but she cut me off.

"Do stay for dinner okay, I'm not taking a no for an answer! You know, Myungsoo never has friends over and I'm so worried he might not even have any. I mean, we just moved from a small town you know, it's hard to socialize when people already know each other. I'm so glad you came down today. Have a seat, I'll prepare dinner real quick!"

"Omma!" Myungsoo whined because his mother just kept going on and on without stopping and I'm guessing he must have felt embarrassed. That's just how I feel all the time when my mom does that but I realized, I do like the feeling of his mom going on and on. No wonder the guys come over so often. It felt homely. No wonder Howon loves my place so much.

I had quickly texted my mom, saying that I won't be back for dinner and she had asked me a bunch of questions about where I am and who I am with, guess my mom isn't used to me not being at home with my friends over.

Tonight, I had dinner with Myungsoo's family. His mom reminds me a little of my mom, both friendly and chatty while his dad is more on the quiet side. Maybe Myungsoo got his traits from his dad. His little brother was just the cutest little kid I've ever met. Myungho is like his mom, version 2.0. He's only five but he's so chatty and talkative and he has so many things to ask. I just couldn't resist cuddling that sweet little ball of cuteness. I wanna take him home. Luckily for me, Myungho did not mention the incident when we first met and he played with me well. I'm just so grateful that Myungsoo's family are so welcoming.

When it was night time and I finally had to leave, Myungho kept sticking to me and giving me the saddest puppy face I've ever seen because he didn't want me to go.

"Myungho, noona has to go back to her house so would you please let her go?" Myungsoo said sternly but his little brother wouldn't budge.

That pout that Myungho was giving me was so hard to look at because I felt bad for leaving. How can I feel bad for leaving? I just do because of this cute lil ball of fluff!

"Myungho-ah, noona will come back and play with you another day okay? But now, noona has to go back home or her omma will be worried." I said to him. I swear, Myungho may grow up to be even more handsome that Myungsoo because the look he is giving me now… Just stop looking at me like that Myungho!

"Promise?" Myungho pouted.

"Promise." I said as I extended my pinky so that we could pinky promise.

"Alright, let's get Yoojin noona home." Myungsoo said as he sends me out. I turned and waved one last goodbye to his family.

"I'll send you back." Myungsoo said as he walked out of his home with me.

"Aniya! You're sick! I can't have you walking back and forth when you're sick!" I protested but Myungsoo didn't care, he just walked next to me and I knew I couldn't stop him from doing whatever he wants. In a way, he's stubborn as well.

"Your family is pretty fun." I said. "And I love your house."

"Yours is just as amazing as well," he said with a smile on his face and I smiled too.

Once I finally reached my home, I thanked him for the meal and also for sending me back and I made him promise that he'll text me when he's back home safe and sound. A sick kid wondering around the neighbourhood isn't a good thing. What if he faints anytime? I needed to know he's back home safely before I could rest.

Greeting my mom and my dad, I showed them my results, which they were quite happy about before I called it a day. My mom even gave me a hug because she was so proud of my for improving and I felt happy as well, that I didn't let them down and that my results have finally showed an improvement.

"Continue to strive for good results Yoojin." My dad said and he showed me this really proud daddy smile. I felt like crying and I gave him a big hug too. I love my parents so much.

As I headed back into my room, I saw this familiar pair of shoes at the corner of my room. It has been a while since I've seen a pair of shoes there and I figured it must have been because of the results. He didn't look too happy this afternoon and I know just why he's here.

His mattress and blanket was laid out, all ready to go to bed but he sat there, not even reading his manga or anything. It must have been serious back home.

"Howon-ah…" I managed out and he looked up at me. His face paled and his eyes swollen. He must have cried not too long ago. "What happened?" I asked even though I kind of know what happened. His family must have fought again, after seeing his results.

"I'm not good enough." He whispered out without looking at me, but just staring into space. "No matter what, I'm just not good enough."

"Who says you're not good enough? You're plenty of good!"

Howon shook his head. "Third in class is not good enough for them. Because I wasn't first."

"Howon-ah…" I didn't know what to say at this point in time. It was just too heart breaking to see his parents overlooking all his talents and good traits but only to point out the bad ones instead.

"I just want to dance, is that so hard?" I went to sit right next to him and gave him a pat on the shoulders. He looked back at me with tears in his eyes and I've never seen Howon look so fragile before. Howon had always been a strong person, never showing his emotion because like any other guy, he thought that showing emotions are a sign of weakness. But here he is, burying his head in his knees as I listen to the sobs.

I extended my arm and hugged him while patting his back. "You did well Howon, you did well."

I let out a sigh. Putting my selfish feelings aside, I comforted my friend over here. He's my best friend and if I don't comfort him, who will? I'm the only one who knows of his secret and problems. Deep down, I prayed that one day, his family would see the good side of him. The good things in him. I hope that they will recognize his talents and his hard work, instead of criticizing all his shortcomings. Besides, it's not that he didn't study, he did. He did well too. If only his family could understand that. If only.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hi there everyone! It's Good Friday today and I hope eveybody had a good friday (Ok bad pun) but yeah, I was so busy this week I couldn't even find time to come online to reply my readers so I apologize for that!!! Now that it's a holiday, I finally have the time to proof read and upload this chapter and so I hope you guys will enjoy it! It's longer than the previous chapter and I think future chapters will be just as long as well (I think so) so I hope you guys can really enjoy it! 

Howon is having a hard time, Jin is finally doing better in her studies and there's strange things happening to Bomi! I know things may seem confusing as you guys have commented and feedback to me but I just wanna say that because this is in Jin's POV and Jin doesn't know everything in the world so she's just as confused too! I hope this mimicks reality becuase just like in our lives, we aren't sure about certain things and we don't know everything. Especially when it comes to feelings and emotions. Which is why Jin can't tell if Howon likes her or not or what the others really think. Just like in real life, we usually can't tell if someone likes us, or is angry at us or whichever emotion. Unless it is explicitly stated or shown or you're just really good at reading people. For most of us, we're just a whirl of blur. 

One last thing, I hope you guys understand that because of what I'm studying, it actually takes up a lot of my time and free time is basically a luxury (sobs I haven't even have time for my friends besides studying together *cries*) so I appreciate those who understands (thank you so much for being so understanding!!!! You know who you are!!! *coughs a certain king coughs* I love you!!!!!!!) and seek understanding from those who don't! 

Nevertheless, I hope the explanation enhances the reading experience of you guys as you all follow Jin on her pathway through her final year in high school and her journey in finding love as well! ^^ Have a great Easter break everyone!