Chapter 28

A Little Thing About Love

The carnival had ended with a bang. We had raised enough funds for the school and also to keep the carnival project going for the next year. See what I mean by the carnival being the largest project each year? It is so tiring but it was all worth it. I'm glad the public had fun and we had fun preparing as well. 

 

The whole school had sprung into study mode after the carnival ended. The teachers became stricter and more anxious about the upcoming college entrance test that it had put a lot of pressure on all of us. Basically, everybody was focused. Summer is ending too and there's going to be nothing to look forward to anymore. Except for graduation. 

 

The thought of graduation scared me. A lot. In a few months’ time, we are going to be leaving high school and then begin our new life in university. It's like a whole new world out there and who knows what the future might bring? The uncertainty scares me but I know that if I am able to face the future with my friends, I will have the courage to do so. 

 

The six of us had agreed to study in the library everyday after school to study for the exams. Except for Bomi, she has detention for a month and so she just said that she had peer tutoring to do after school to avoid suspicion from the guys. Remember the detention that Mr Choi gave her? It was effective now after the carnival. Then, there was an upcoming school exam too. This exam will be the last exam before the final thing at the end of the year. It's going to be so scary because it's the last time you are going to have some sort of practice and a gauge for the college entrance test. In short, I just have to do well for everything. Jung Yoojin is determined to go to Seoul National University! 

 

Of course, I couldn't do it without help so I got the almighty, smartass kid Kim Sunggyu to help me with my studies. I was thinking that I would be bothering him too much so I wanted to ask Myungsoo for help but I guess I was too late huh. Myungsoo had agreed to help Krystal with math and he asked if I wanted to join as well. No way am I joining them and their happy little world. That would just be awkward… 

 

Even after the carnival has ended a few days back, I actually thought a lot more about Myungsoo's photo. It just kept popping back into my mind because nobody has ever done this for me before. Much less a guy. So of course, I was touched. But Myungsoo… he's a hard person to read. Really hard. He has this poker face all the time and I can't really tell if he's really joking or not sometimes. I guess that's just how he is. 

 

Lessons in school had gotten much tougher because of the stress and pressure to do well. Thankfully, my table partner is the model student Kim Myungsoo. He really did help me a lot by coaching and guiding me during lessons when I am confused about things. Also, he will wake me up every time I'm falling asleep so that I don't miss out the important things during lessons. 

 

Today, I was just trying so hard not to nod off during math lesson because of a certain really fierce and strict math teacher. He kept his eyes glued to me as he explained the math problem because I swear, he's going to catch me if I as much as just blink in his class. That's just how intimidated I am by Mr Choi. 

 

Then, there was a nudge from my side and I turned to look at Myungsoo. He reached out from his pocket and pulled out a candy and placed it in front of me, doing it ever so stealthily so Mr Choi doesn't suspect anything. 

 

It was my favourite milk candy. I looked at him with grateful eyes and Myungsoo just kept his gaze at the front while he twirl his pen, paying attention to what Mr Choi was saying. 

 

I ate the sweet when Mr Choi wasn't paying attention and it did help me to focus a little better. Just a little but it was still helpful. 

 

During lunch, I could see that all the students were all grumpy and all so drained from studying even though this extensive studying period just began. It was really a lot of stress for us poor high school students to cope. Our table wasn't as noisy as it used to be because even Woohyun is affected by this gloominess. 

 

"It to study all day man." Woohyun complained as he picked on his food. 

 

"Come on guys, we have a few more months to go. Let's make this count." Sunggyu tried to get our spirits up but it wasn't working. We were all just stressed out. 

 

"Easy for you to say Gyu. You're a genius." Howon grumbled and put his head down in the table. "I still have lots of work to do and to catch up." 

 

"Me too!" Woohyun whined. 

 

It was true that because of the sports season and the carnival, it had taken up so much of our time and we had to be more independent in our learning. We were supposed to find time to do revision on our own but it looks like we really didn't have time to do so. 

 

"I just hope I don't do badly for the next exam." I said and the others nodded in agreement, especially Howon. The next exam, as mentioned, is the last exam before the final thing and if I don't do well, I will be so dejected because that exam kinda lets you know where you stand for the final thing. If I don't do well, it just means that I can't get into Seoul National University. 

 

"You'll be fine Jin." Bomi tried to comfort me but it wasn't really working. 

 

"You know your stuff, you just need to have more confidence in yourself." Myungsoo said as he drank his packet of milk. 

 

"And you have the best tutor in town." Woohyun referred to Sunggyu who has been helping me constantly. 

 

Sunggyu just nodded and smiled. That sweet angel. 

 

"I feel like I'm taking up all his time though. Mianhe Gyu." I apologized. I really felt bad for being such a burden to Sunggyu. 

 

Sunggyu just shook his head. "I'm willing to help, Jin. Don't worry about it." 

 

"Teach me too!" Howon faked a cry and we all had laughed. He's being such a big baby right now. 

 

"Yeah, we're doing some studying today outside the library. Come join us." Sunggyu said and I froze. 

 

"Yes!" Howon pumped his fists in the air as if he'd just won the lottery or something.

 

 No no no, if Howon joins in, I might not be able to focus well. I might just end up staring at him or being super conscious of myself? I shifted uncomfortably in my seat and Myungsoo stared at me. I gave him a SOS look like "please don't let Howon join" but Myungsoo couldn't do anything as well. I frowned and Myungsoo held out his milk for me, as if that'll help me but I took it anyways and drank a big gulp. I just hope I don't get too distracted by him. 

 

School had pretty much been super boring but it all ended nevertheless. It was time for us to go do our self-studying. Sunggyu, Howon and I headed to the space outside the library where Sunggyu could teach us since we couldn't talk in the library. Woohyun was alone in the library studying so that we don't disturb him and Bomi would join him soon after she was done with her detention. Myungsoo, on the other hand, had promised to help Krystal out with math so yeah, he was outside the library as well, just not with us. 

 

We were sitting in a position where I am facing Myungsoo and Krystal's table. The best part was, I'm facing Myungsoo directly and Krystal's back was facing me. That's just even more distracting because I found myself looking up ever so often only to meet eyes with Myungsoo. 

 

I don't know what this feeling is but the both of us just stared at each other for about 0.1 second and then we broke the gaze. After awhile, they both of us will find each other staring again and then we will break the gaze again. Concentrate Jin! Myungsoo needs to concentrate on studying and helping Krystal too.   

 

It is easier said than done anyways. One side it was Myungsoo and the other, it was Howon. Sunggyu was busy explaining some chemistry to Howon and I was listening in. Howon was super focused and I realized that's just how he is. When his attention is onto something, his focus is crazily good. As for me, I was too busy being distracted by everything. Everything just seems more interesting to me more than studying. 

 

I groaned and placed my head on the table, I can feel a headache coming at this rate. I'm not ready for the exams, I'm not ready for life! 

 

There was a pat on my head followed by his soft voice. "Jin, are you okay?" 

 

I looked at Sunggyu and gave him a pout. "I can't do this." 

 

"Yah," Howon gave me a look instead. "Let's hang on these few months and then we can go all out and celebrate. We'll do everything we've wanted to alright?"

 

I turned to face him and nodded like a child. Life is going to be tough from now onwards. That's the life of high school kids, people. That's the reality. 

 

I then gathered my thoughts and tried my best to concentrate on my books and Sunggyu's sweet voice. It was hard but whenever I got distracted, Sunggyu will try and bring me back. He's a really good teacher. If he doesn't become a doctor, he can consider teaching. He's amazing.

 

Looking into the library, I could see Bomi strolling in to join Woohyun since she was done with her "peer tutoring" and Woohyun is studying really diligently, busy writing away in his pad and Bomi looking as peaceful as ever. 

 

After a few hours or so, I looked at the table across and I saw that Krystal was packing and getting ready to leave. Myungsoo packed up as well and he headed in our direction to join us in studying. He then settled down beside me and I nudged him about his one on one moment with Krystal. 

 

"Don't do it." He warned me before I could even say a thing. So he knows what I was about to say. I frowned at him and then continued with my studying as if nothing happened. 

 

Since Sunggyu was busy teaching Howon today, I had turned to Myungsoo for help even though I felt a little bad about it. He'd just been done helping Krystal and now he has to help another lost soul when he finally have time for himself. 

 

"Jin, you do know that I'm revising at the same time I'm teaching you right?" He reassured me. I nodded obediently and continued listening to his explanation. Now, I have not only one personal tutor but two. I have to do them proud and that just brings about more pressure for me. 

 

Maybe it as the pressure, maybe it was just the studying, maybe it was the distraction, but I felt a headache coming and I'm serious about it. My head hurts and it's starting to get worse. The pain was pulsating through my brain and I couldn't keep my focus no matter how much I tried. 

 

"Guys, I can't do this anymore." I placed my head down on the table. "I'm having a headache." 

 

"Jin, you should head home and rest." Myungsoo advised but I didn't want to leave. Here they are, studying away and if I leave, I would lose precious studying time.

 

"Yeah you should take a break, you've had a long day. Just go back and rest." Sunggyu agreed and even Howon looked worried for me. 

 

"But—" 

 

"No buts," I was cut off by Howon. "A headache does you no good. Do you want to go home or do you need me to accompany you?" 

 

"No!" It came out too fast and I think it shocked Howon. It wasn't meant to be that way. "I mean… I don't want to interrupt your studying time…" I tried to clarify myself. 

 

"Andwae, I can't let you go home on your own like with a headache. Who knows what could happen. Pack up Jin, I'll take you back. Let's go." He started packing his stuff and I just sat there, giving Myungsoo glances because Howon's actions sure are confusing. 

 

Myungsoo didn't give me a reply because he didn't know as well. He just stared right back at me with that blank puppy stare. 

 

"What are you waiting for?" Howon stood up and came to my side to help me start packing. 

 

So here I am, with Howon, walking along the empty streets back home. There was silence because I don't feel particularly well and Howon didn't want to make me feel any worse. It wasn't awkward, but rather, I was self-conscious. Walking next to me is this gorgeous man that I have a crush on and my best friend, but he has no idea. 

 

"So… Jin," he started and then he looked at me, checking if I was alright with talking and I motioned for him to continue. A smile appeared on his face and he put a hand on the back of his head. It wasn't that confident and cocky smile he always gave but a more boyish smile this time, as though Lee Howon became a small boy once again. It was that exact same smile I'd seen when I was five. 

 

"You were right." His smile grew wider and I was confused. 

 

"Huh? I was right?" 

 

"Yeah. You were right that day at the carnival. It was my dad." 

 

"Oh my gosh!" Despite the headache, I still manage to find myself to be happy for my best friend. "I knew it! I knew it was him! It has to be him! So what did he say of your performance?" I squealed in excitement. 

 

"He said, 'good job.'" Howon imitated his dad. His dad didn't say it in a very excited way but rather, in a more monotonous and expressionless way. 

 

I waited for more but Howon just stared back at me with that silly grin. 

 

"That's all?" I asked. 

 

"Yeah! That's all." Howon's smile was still there. You can just tell how happy he is that his dad got to see him dance. "My dad never says stuff like these. Not to noona, not to me. He'd always been that strict dad with a fierce and expressionless face so the fact that he'd complimented me means a lot to me." 

 

I smiled at my best friend. It was such a small and simple compliment yet it brought him so much joy. 

 

"So that's what it feels like to be complimented by family." Howon said and I felt like crying for him. "It's a great feeling. You know after he said that and left, I was jumping with joy. I couldn't even sleep that night because I was so excited about the fact that my dad just complimented me!" 

 

I stared at Howon and I found myself looking at an eight year old trapped in an eighteen year old. The way he got excited and elated by that one praise made me realize how lucky I was to have parents who shower praises on me as I grew up. Howon probably wasn't even raised by his parents. He'd been close to his butler since he was a kid. 

 

"I know you're not feeling well right now, but I have to share this good news with you. I just have to share it with the person who believes in me more than my parents ever will." 

 

"I'm happy for you Howon." I smiled at once again at him. "And I will keep believing in you even if nobody else does." 

 

"Thanks for being the biggest pillar of support in my life." He put an arm around me as we walked and I felt my cheeks getting hot at our close proximity. "This is why you're my best friend." 

 

My heart almost stopped at that last sentence. Am I just a best friend? 

 

"Y-yeah, that's what best friends are for right?" I muttered out as we headed in my home's direction. 

 

-- 

 

After I got home, my mom saw Howon and she invited him over for dinner but he politely declined. 

 

"Jin's not feeling well today so I don't think I will disturb you guys." He bowed politely before stepping out of my home and then he pointed to me. "You, have some rest and don't even think about picking up a book tonight. Just rest."

 

Howon then turned back to my mother and gave her one last bow and goodbye before leaving. 

 

"Aigoo Jung Yoojin! What happened to you?" My mom came over to me and handed me a glass of warm water to help with my aching head. 

 

I gave my mom a pout and faked a cry. "Omma, I'm having a headache." 

 

"Aigoo!" My mom came and sat next to me on the sofa and took me in her warm embrace. "Our Yoojin has been studying too hard hasn't she?" 

 

I then put down the glass of water and sat up straight. "Omma, what if I can't get into a good university?" Despite my headache, I think I am still in the right mind. 

 

My mom snuggled closer to me and started my hair, like when I was a little girl. "Jin-ah, no matter what university you get into, omma and appa will be so proud of you. As long as you tried your best."

 

"But what if… what if my best wasn't good enough?" 

 

"Nonsense. It only means that you were meant for other things, greater things sweetheart." My mom comforted me and continued my hair. I leaned closer to her and hugged her tightly for being so understanding. I'm sorry omma, appa, that your daughter is no genius and I will always be thankful for your support. 

 

My mom then helped me up to my room where I fell asleep to rid myself of the throbbing pain in my head. 

 

I lay on my bed and thought about Howon. How happy he was about that little recognition he got from his father. It may seem small to all of us but to him, it meant the world and I am genuinely happy for him. He deserves so much more that just a monotonous "good job". He'd worked so hard and that raw talent that he has is unrivalled. I am so so so happy for him. I wish for more moments like that because that's really all he needs. Look at that smile he had when he'd confirmed that his dad had indeed watched him perform. Now, that smile, is something I have never seen before in my thirteen years of knowing him. 

 

I had also thought about my mother's words earlier but I was getting more and more tired by the second. The last thing I remembered before falling asleep was a promise I made to myself—to study really hard so that I can do not only Sunggyu and Myungsoo proud, but most of all, my parents. 

 

-- 

 

The next day, I went to school feeling much better. My mom had encouraged me to take another day of rest but I decided not to skip any classes. It will be so hard to catch up if I skipped any lesson. 

 

The day was normal, with school being stressful as usual. 

 

"How are you feeling Jin?" Myungsoo asked me during one of the boring classes in the morning. 

 

"Much better definitely." 

 

"How was the trip back with Howon?" He gave a classic smirk and I smacked him a little too hard. 

 

"Ah!" He winced, not too loud but not too soft and the teacher, wait no, the entire class turned to look at the both of us. Okay, maybe it was a little loud.

 

Our biology teacher, Miss Han gave us a glare as a warning before she continued teaching. 

 

"Yah! I was having a headache, what do you think I feel?" I whispered to him. 

 

"I don't know, maybe really happy?" 

 

"That's you after you've spent an entire afternoon with Krystal Jung isn't it?" I retorted. Ha. Take that. 

 

"Yah!" Myungsoo said in reflex, just a little too loudly once again. 

 

"Jung Yoojin! Kim Myungsoo! This is the second warning I'm giving you guys. One more strike and there will be consequences!" Miss Han bellowed and we shut our mouths. Krystal turned back to look at us from her seat and I quickly looked away. 

 

Then, there was a note being passed to me. 

 

Myungsoo: I was just being a good friend and helping her with her studies. 

 

I wrote back. 

 

Yoojin: Yeah, but she may not see things that way. 

 

Myungsoo: My claim remains the same. 

 

Yoojin: If I asked you to tutor me privately would you do it too? 

 

Myungsoo: Of course. 

 

Yoojin: Liar. 

 

Myungsoo: Why don't you believe me?

 

I stared at that question and then I stared at him. It was a good question and I didn't even know why. Why do I keep insisting that Myungsoo should like Krystal anyways? It's his feelings, it's his decision. Why am I butting in? 

 

Yoojin: I— 

 

I haven't even gotten to finish my sentence when the paper got snatched away. A scary presence lingers around me and I know I'm in deep trouble. 

 

"Are the both of you eight year olds or eighteen year olds? What's with this passing of messages? What important message you two just have to say to each other right in the middle of my class that you can't wait until lesson ends?" Miss Han shouted at us. 

 

The whole class looked at us and some of the guys snickered, reading wrongly into her words. 

 

"The both of you, stay back after class!" And she took the paper and stomped off. 

 

Myungsoo and I were standing at our seats and I was nudging him, as if to say "it's your fault" and he nudged back, replying me with the exact same thing. When Miss Han finally turned to face us, we stood up straight and stopped with the nudging. 

 

"I expected more from you Myungsoo. If Yoojin is distracting you during lessons, you have to tell the teacher instead of playing along with her. You should know better." Miss Han said to him softly, but sternly. 

 

My jaw hanged loose. What?! Did she just imply it was me who distracted him? He started it! Gosh, I really do sound like an eight year old kid whining about who had started the fight. But it was really him and not me.

 

"And you! Jung Yoojin!" She turned towards me and I have never stood straighter in my entire life. "Just because you improved doesn't mean you can stop listening. Don't you want to keep improving?" 

 

I nodded meekly. 

 

"Then could you please stop disturbing your classmates and listen to me." She is just as scary, if not scarier than Mr Choi and God knows how scared I am of Mr Choi. 

 

I nodded meekly again. 

 

"The both of you, I want you to do homework as punishment." She handed us a biology worksheet and I opened my mouth to protest but no words came out when she stared at me. 

 

"Neh, seonsaengnim." Myungsoo said like the model student he is. 

 

"Neh." I replied softly and tried to sound as polite as I could be even thought my insides were raging at this madness. More work? I'm so dead. 

 

-- 

 

"Yah! It's all your fault! You started it! Now we have more work because of you and she thinks it was me! Just because you're handsome, she let you off the hook! Yah!" I chased after Myungsoo and hit him as we were heading to the outside of the library. Softly. I am hitting him softly as I am trying to restrain myself.  

 

"For your information, I have to do the extra work too." He held up the paper in front of me and I hit him one more time while sending him my glare. "And what was that about letting me off just because I'm handsome? That's ridiculous." 

 

"Just because you're a handsome model student, she never thought it’d be you who started talking and the one who distracted me!" I retorted. 

 

"But you won't even be listening if I didn’t distract you, am I right or am I right?" He started to smile. 

 

I gave him one last glare, "I hate that you're always right." And I trudged ahead of him, holding up my worksheet for him to see at the back. "You're helping me with this!" I then broke into a smile as I walked ahead. 

 

I couldn't see his face but from his tone, I could tell he was smiling as well. "I will!" 

 

So the both of us were late in meeting our friends outside the library. Well, technically I was because of my usual studying with Sunggyu routine. But this time round, I was surprised to see even Woohyun outside of the library sitting with the others. 

 

"Why aren't you in the library?" I asked him. 

 

"We're supposed to study together. What's the point if half of us are in the library and half of us are out here. We're supposed to help each other! We're family!" Woohyun exclaimed and I could only laugh. He was kind of right. 

 

"But you'll keep talking!" Howon and Woohyun pouted. 

 

"I promise I won't even make a squeak." Woohyun then proceeded to zip his mouth as though there was a zip there to shut him up. 

 

"Yah," I lightly hit Howon for teasing Woohyun like that. Woohyun is right. We should study together and help each other out in areas that we aren't certain about. That's the whole point about studying together isn't it? 

 

Just then, there was this soft voice that called out someone from our group. "Myungsoo!" 

 

We all turned, only to find Krystal waiting at their usual place, waving to Myungsoo. 

 

"Go ahead Myung, your girl is calling." Howon said to him and I frowned. Myungsoo was supposed to help me with that biology work. It was like he'd read me and he gave me a reassuring look. 

 

"Don't worry, we'll do that together later. I'll take responsibility alright." He then winked and then walked towards Krystal. 

 

Wait, what? 

 

Howon has choked on his saliver and Woohyun was giving an overwhelming reaction. Even Sunggyu seems to be shocked. 

 

"W-what is he talking about Jin?!" Woohyun came to me and started bombarding me with questions that I couldn't hear. 

 

Did that Kim Myungsoo really just… that cheeky brat! 

 

I had to calm everyone down by explaining that he was referring to the worksheet that we had to complete. Not that. I also had to tell them that it was his fault and that's why he's taking responsibility in helping me to complete it. Gosh, I swear I want to karate chop his head off right now because he’s laughing at me as he sat as his usual seat opposite Krystal, facing me. Well, not really laughing out loud kind of laughing but he couldn't stop grinning from ear to ear and I gave him my death stare. Cheeky brat. 

 

The entire time we were studying, or at least I was putting in effort to, Myungsoo and I had eye contact countless of times. As compared to the previous time, this time was way more ridiculous. Every time we looked at each other, we broke out in a grin. I don't even know what it means but it was just funny. Don't ask me why because I really don't know. 

 

"Jin, what are you laughing at?" Woohyun asked when he heard me snicker. 

 

"H-huh? Oh… oh! I err… was just thinking about what my mom made for dinner. I'm looking forward to food." I quickly lied. 

 

Woohyun gave me a nod but he looked like he didn't buy the lie. He then leaned in and whispered to me. "You at lying." 

 

This brat. 

 

He then proceeded to ask Sunggyu a question regarding what he just studied while Sunggyu was helping Howon at the same time. 

 

Not long later, Bomi finally came and she joined us at the tables outside as well. Both Woohyun and Bomi were smart and so they took turns asking each other questions without a care for the rest of us. It's like they were living in their own world. Woohyun is a passionate person and he shows it clearly. Whenever the both of them were discussing questions, Woohyun would be so into it and you could see the change in his gaze. It was different because he was so focused. I guess that's just his charm. 

 

Not long after, Krystal had started packing up and getting ready to leave. So finally, Myungsoo is going to help me with that worksheet and 'take responsibility'. When Krystal left, she had even turned towards me and waved goodbye to me. She wasn't such a bad person I guess.

 

I then thought about Hyuna. I hardly see Howon and Hyuna together after the carnival and I wonder if they still kept in contact with each other. 

 

"Howon-ah," I called out, breaking his concentration. Oops Jung Yoojin, wrong timing really. Aish! 

 

"Say… do you still keep in contact with Hyuna?" 

 

"What do you mean by keep in contact? If you mean are we still texting then no. If we're still talking to each other enough to know how the other party is then yes." He replied after giving it some thought. So, they didn't exactly cut off all contact. 

 

"Why'd you ask?" 

 

"N-nothing. Just wondering." 

 

Myungsoo had came over just in time and. I made some space for him to sit next to me so he could help me with that biology worksheet. I still stand by my words. It was his fault. Okay, maybe partly my fault because I hit him a little too hard. And maybe also because I just kept talking with him. Okay, so maybe 49% my fault and 51% his fault. 

 

Anyways, he had kept his word and helped me work through the worksheet we had to do. It was hard but after going through it with Myungsoo teaching and explaining to me, I realized that it actually helped a lot in reinforcing my knowledge. It was a great exam revision worksheet and I just hope my brain somehow can absorb all this information, as I get ready for the exams. I have to do well. Seoul National University, just wait for me! 

 

--

 

A week later, the five of us were walking towards Bomi's house so that we could meet her and be on our way to school. Something unusual this morning is that Woohyun wouldn't stop saying "daebak" ever since he met us. 

 

"Daebak! This is daebak guys, really daebak." He repeated that same word over and over again. 

 

"What is?" Howon questioned. 

 

"Aniya, I'm going to wait until we meet with Bomi. I can't wait to tell you guys this news oh gosh, it's really daebak!" 

 

"What kind of news is it?" Sunggyu asked. 

 

"Just dae to the bak!" Woohyun exclaimed with glee and in English. "Let's just hurry go and meet up Bomi, I don't think I can keep it in any longer!" 

 

Woohyun then chased us as though he was some Shepard herding his sheep. When we finally met up with Bomi, we all couldn't take it anymore and just wanted Woohyun to break the news to us, even though Bomi was confused. 

 

"Okay okay, here goes." Woohyun the reached in his bag pack and took out some newspapers. Since when did that guy start caring about news? He opened it wide and flipped to one of the pages containing the article he wanted to show us. 

 

"There!" Woohyun pointed and I looked over his shoulder, trying to see what it was but because the others were crowding around him too, I couldn't get a good view. 

 

"Daebak!" Sunggyu exclaimed. Gosh, if Sunggyu is shouting 'daebak' as well, it must really be daebak! 

 

I looked at Howon and he froze. Bomi gasped slightly and Myungsoo was trying to see the article clearly since it was upside down for him. 

 

"Heol." He said once he finally understood. 

 

"What is it? I can't see!" I asked the others but judging by their reaction, I still can't tell. 

 

"Here," Woohyun pulled me closer to him and pointed it out for me. "South Korea's number one tycoon and enterprise owner, Lee Sungjoon, was spotted at a high school's carnival last week. For reasons as to why the CEO was spotted there struck many to believe that it may be because of his son, whose identity the CEO has hidden away from the media many years back. Given past information and records, his son is eighteen this year and is now believed to be studying at the public high school near their residence. Security has been tightened at the Lee's residence in order to protect the CEO's one and only son. Just who is this mystery boy and when will the family come out about his identity?" 

 

Woohyun read the papers out loud for me and I couldn't believe my ears. I had to take the paper from him and read it myself. Are you kidding me?! This just narrows the possibility down a lot and the fact that Howon and his dad are basically carbon copies of one another doesn't help. I tried not to make it too obvious and I stole a secret glance at Howon. He looked back at me with a worried look on his face. For the first time in the thirteen years I've known him, he'd a form of fear on his face. 

 

"Can you believe it? If that rich man’s son is really from our school and from our cohort… heol. Maybe he's one of my classmates? I should have treated them better!" Woohyun said and I jabbed him with my elbow. 

 

"It's too late isn't it?" I said. 

 

Can you imagine the look on Woohyun's face if he finds out that it was Howon all along? Woohyun and Howon have known each other for a long time as well. Twelve years to be exact. Suddenly, I realized that Woohyun would have been disappointed and upset. He doesn't like it when people hide things from him. Aish, I hope Howon doesn't get noticed or something. 

 

The six of us then headed to school as we tried to figure out who could it be. Well, Howon and I weren't really into the conversation at all. I couldn't bring myself to say anything about this matter and certainly neither can he. Maybe he can, but he was just staring into space so I don't know. 

 

When Myungsoo and I finally got into class, the first thing Jieun and Jooyeon said to me was about the great Lee Sungjoon being spotted in school. They were asking me who I thought it would be and I really didn't want to voice out any opinion in this matter. I was afraid that by one accidental slip, I would let out the secret of the century. It was a huge burden for me but of course, much more for Howon. I can’t even imagine how is he dealing with this right now.

 

Thankfully, the teacher came and they were being forced to drop the topic so I didn't have to answer who I thought it was. Nobody. I didn't think it's anybody because Howon is right there and I know it. Plus I've been told many times that I at lying. There you go, yet another thing I can't do. 

 

Turns out, the rest of the school had all found out about that piece of gossip news and there were speculations everywhere about who the real rich kid is. People whose surnames are Lee are the most suspected one and of course, that includes Howon. But there's tons of Lee's around anyways. 

 

There was this girl at a table near us during lunch talking about this news with her friends and she swears that she'd seen Lee Sungjoon's son before but she couldn’t remember who. In my mind, I was restraining myself to go up and shut her up. Of course you've seen him before, he's right next to your table! He's performed in so many events in school! He's popular! The whole school knows him! 

 

Howon didn't seem too impress about all the gossiping about who the rich heir was so he basically stayed quiet and was picking on his food. 

 

"Howon, why'd you look so glum today?" Myungsoo asked causally. Howon sat up and gave a really confused face. 

 

"Huh?"

 

"Hey buddy, are you alright? You do seem kinda out of it today." Woohyun added in. We all looked at Howon but Howon stared at me. I definitely know why. 

 

"Maybe… I'm just tired that's all." He replied solemnly.

 

"You're not even into gossip today, what's the matter?"

 

Howon shrugged. "Just not into it. C'mon Namu, we've got more things to worry about other than who's the son of the CEO yeah? Or at least I have." He said sulkily. Howon must have been worried about what's going to happen at home when he gets back. He finally had the recognition of his dad but now there's things like that that gets in the way of his happiness yet again. 

 

Woohyun frowned at his unenthusiastic response and I immediately tried to change the topic after sensing the situation. 

 

"All you smart people can think about that while people like us worry about our futures." I stuck a tongue out at them. 

 

The rest of the day went past really fast and I was so happy to finally be done with school, except that we had our usual studying session and I have to see Myungsoo and Krystal studying together again. 

 

I thought I had to see the both of them at their usual place until I realized that Krystal didn't stay back to study. Apparently she had something else to attend to and she couldn't make it today. Once again, the six of us just stayed outside the library and studied the day away. I'm starting to think this usual routine is pretty tiring because my brain is constantly working and studying but it'll all be worth it if I can get good grades and into the university of my choice. It'll all be worth it, Jung Yoojin! 

 

The day ended and we all went home to have dinner separately. Thinking about it, it's been some time since the guys came over for dinner. Maybe I should invite them over for dinner some time next week, it'll be nice to hang out in my small room once more. 

 

After a short yet delicious dinner with my small family, I headed to my room and decided to start working from where I left off in school. A year ago, I wouldn't have seen myself working so hard but I guess it's the pressure that pushes you and it makes you not want to fall back when everybody else is moving forward. 

 

Since it became a little windy outside, I had to close my window so that the chilly air won't enter my room. Seems like summer is really gone for good now that the temperatures are dropping. 

 

So, I was just diligently trying to study on my own when I suddenly heard something hit on my window. I looked and I didn't see anything so I thought it might just be the wind that was strong and I brushed it off but then I heard it again. I felt scared but I also wanted to know what was that and so I went to my window and I realized that someone was throwing rocks at my window. 

 

I immediately opened it, only to see the silliest guy waiting downstairs and he gave a wide smile when I did open the window. He then started climbing up the usual way he does and then entered my room through the window once more. 

 

"Yah! We have a front door you know." I scolded him. 

 

"And you could have maybe checked if your phone has battery or not." He lightly hit my forehead and I went to check my phone. It was dead. The battery was flat. No wonder my night seemed so peaceful without anybody texting me. "Besides, I didn't want to disturb your parents or anything…" He looked down and I immediately knew he's probably staying over for the night as something had happened in his family, again. 

 

"Howon-ah… my parents wouldn't mind you know. My mom even said that she’d get you a room in my house." I tried to make him laugh but he just forced out a smile. 

 

"I always knew your mom liked me the best." He joked back but with sadness in his voice. 

 

We sat down on my room floor and I tried to talk to him about his problems. He seemed really upset this time. Where did that happy little boy who had heard his dad compliment him go? 

 

"What happened Howon?" I asked softly. 

 

He sighed. "I've come to this stage in life where I realize that happens and I deal with it. More happens and I still have to deal with it. Why can't my family be a normal, happy family like yours?" 

 

"You don't always get what you want you know. There are families out there that are struggling financially and wish they could be in your shoes instead." I suddenly thought of Sunggyu. Not that he would rather be in a rich yet cold family but… he just popped into my mind when I talked about financially unstable families. 

 

 

"They can have my place then. I mean, how can they call that a family? A place where there's no laughter, there's no warmth, there's only care for reputation and money. That's not family. Or at least, not the family I would want to have." He said, exasperated. 

 

"What kind of family do you want to have then?" I prompted him. 

 

Howon smiled a little at the thought of his perfect little family. "I want something like yours. A small, cosy and warm family. A family where it's okay to make mistakes, where parents encourage you, give you strength, be there for you at your lowest and happy for you at your highest." 

 

He let out a sigh, "I would probably consider my butler as a better parent to me than my actual parents are. He talks to me, he asks me how my day at school was and he actually listens. He comforted me whenever I cried and shared my happiness with me. You know that besides you guys, he's the next person I share all my achievements with? He's always so proud of me and I wish he could be there to watch me when I graduate. He was the one who was a parent to me. Not those people who call themselves my parents." 

 

I know how much his butler means to him because he was there for Howon since he was born. He'd been assigned to take care of him and have been chasing him around, making sure he's safe and not lost ever since we were kids. 

 

"My mom is not too happy about the news this morning you know. She was shouting at my dad for being so careless when all they ever wanted was to protect me. I had to get out of that screaming house. She even suggested to my dad that it's time to tell the whole Korea who I am, hoping that will give me pressure to go to business school."

 

"What does your dad think?" 

 

"He didn't say a word… he just looked at me, and then I couldn't take it anymore, I just left." 

 

Howon then lay down flat on the ground, even though it was slightly cold. "Why is life so goddamn hard Jin? Can I just move in with you and be your mother's son instead?" 

 

I blushed at his words and I tried to compose myself. "Life isn't meant to be easy I guess." I lay down next to him and sighed. 

 

Howon then took my hand in his and he gave it a long squeeze. "Sometimes, I wish we could just run away. Away from everything. I'll take my dad's credit card so we'll still have money." He then laughed. I stared at our intertwined hands and I felt sad all of a sudden. Howon's words felt lonely. He'd been lonely all these while and his friends, us, were his only solace. 

 

"We'll take everybody along, Myung, Gyu, Namu and Bomi and then we could live on our own in a big house." I added. 

 

"A house, yes. A big house, no. I’m sick of big houses.” Howon pointed out. “And your mom can visit us from time to time and cook. And Myung can bring his brother too. We'll be a happy family." 

 

"Howon-ah," I let go of his hand and turned to face him on my side. "We are your family you know that? From what you described earlier about what you want in a family, we are all of that. We are your family." I smiled at him. 

 

Howon finally buckled and gave me his million-dollar smile. I could even see in his eyes, there were tears forming. "Thank you." 

 

Maybe family isn't only about having blood relations. It's about the feelings you get when you're around a person. The six of us have no blood relation or whatsoever, but I would say we're family. We're there for each other, we fight, we quarrel, but at the end of the day, we still come back to each other just like families do. Besides, they say that home is where the heart is. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Many apologies for the late update! I guess I've been doing this often nowadays so I just want to say that maybe I'm going to be extending the period to ~ 5 days apart before the next update? (I'm really sorry about that but my sem is ending and there are end sem tests and finals so I don't have that much free time in my hands) nevertheless, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and I really enjoyed reading your responses for the previous chapter! It was too cute haha you all are too cute, I just can't help it! 

It's an emotional chapter for Howon this time round but then again, I have seen friends struggling because of the pressure from their parents and it really hurts to see them go through such things at a young age! I have a friend whose parents come from a humble background and so they know how it's like to not have a better job. Of course, they don't wish for that to happen to their child. The things she wanted to do is not supported by her parents and so she was torn in between choosing what she's passionate about and what's good for her future. It's painful to watch someone be so near their dreams yet have so many obstacles. Furthermore, our parents are one of the most important people in our lives and if they don't give us their support... it is a huge blow. Of all the people I would want to receive support from, I want my parents' support the most because they mean the most to me. I hope none of you would have to go through that because I've seen my friend go through so many struggles and it took her a long way before she's finally going to do what she wanted to do in the first place. 

Let me know what you guys think about this chaper and I hope you guys will have a good week ahead! (I will try my best to see if I can update sooner but no promises!) 

ps. have all the inspirits out there listened to Woohyun's solo??? If you haven't, please do!!!! It's so amazing and I almost cried when I watched the music video. It was just so pretty!! Congrats to our Namu who finally made his solo debut! Namu fighting!