Chapter 29

A Little Thing About Love

When Howon had gone home to get ready for school the next day, he had texted me in the morning telling me that his parents hasn't made a decision about the revelation yet. His dad is going to try and settle the press and hopefully things die down because if it does get out of hand, they may just have to reveal his identity and he would really hate for that to happen. That would mean he'll lose his freedom altogether and worst of all, being named as the heir instead of his sister.

You'll be fine, Howon. I promise.

I texted him back early in the morning before I left the house.

How are you going to promise me that?

I smiled at his reply because honestly, I don't know as well but I guess I'll do whatever it takes to protect his freedom?

I'll shoot down all the rumor mills.

I shall trust you on that.

--

The six of us had met up and are heading to school as usual and I was kind of dreading for it. There's about a month more before the school's exam and then another two more months till the final exam. Time is going to fly by and by the time we know it, we're well in our way to university.

The thought of finally moving on from high school to university scares me. A lot. It's a whole new world out there and I'll be meeting new people as well. So far throughout my entire school life, I've always had familiar people around me and university is going change all that. Did I mention I’m scared of moving on from high school? A part of me didn't want to face the change but another part of me was looking forward to meeting new people out there.


I don't know why but I shuddered at all those previous thoughts and I may have scared Myungsoo who was sitting next to me a little.

"Whoa, what's wrong Jin?"

"E-eh? Nothing." I said and I composed myself, trying to pay more attention to the teacher in front of me despite lessons being super boring as usual.

I then felt someone staring at me from my side and I looked at Myungsoo staring at my face as though I've something on it.

"W-what?" I touched my face, wondering if there's anything funny stuck to it.

It was Myungsoo's turn to deny and shake his head. "Nothing. You just look really serious about school all of a sudden."

I lightly nudge him. "Yah, I have always been serious about school." I stifled a laughter and shifted my attention back to the teacher. I heard a laughter coming from Myungsoo but I just ignored it. Time to pay attention Jin!

During lunch, I had overheard some conversations here and there about CEO Lee's son and I tried my best to ignore it and pretend that I didn't know much. I saw my group of friends at the table and I headed straight to them and sat down for lunch. This whole mysterious identity thing is giving me a headache, and it doesn't even involve me directly. I just hope to be a very innocent passer-by that actually knows the truth.

Howon's name seems to be one of the common ones brought up and I was so worried because Howon and his father look alike. They had the same sharp jawline and fierce eyes. I just hope people wouldn't be too quick to notice it and just let the rumour die down please.

So far, Howon either doesn't care much about what people are saying about him or he is just trying to pretend he doesn't. The latter seems more convincing given that he had came to find me about his troubles yesterday. Oh man, just let him have his peace and stop disturbing him, universe.

The week passed by quickly just like that. Seemingly quiet, but also with the whole mystery identity thing going on as well. Thankfully, because we are all still high school students, the school had requested the press to not cover any sort of speculation that may harm us, hence, the press dropped the subject as they couldn't publish any news without mentioning any of the students that seemed like a likely candidate. I have a feeling Howon's father probably intervened on this one so that the press will stop blowing up the matter. Which in fact, they did.

However, Howon was still a mini superstar in our school with those god like dance skills of his and that didn't stop the rumours going on in school.

"I just wish it would die down soon Jin." He said to me in school when we were alone.

"Me too…" I gave him a soft yet reassuring gaze because I know he must be having a hard time dealing with all that now and the pressure from his family isn't helping either.

It is a Friday today and so we were all super happy that the week is ending. Or maybe it's just me but at least I am super happy about it being a Friday today. Gosh, I'm so excited to finally be done with a whole week of school.

Today, I got home earlier than before because I was so excited to finally start my weekend and the others had all agreed to leave school earlier as a reward for our continuous hard work ever since the carnival ended. It hasn't even been long but still, we deserve small breaks now and then.

I was excited to spend more time with my family and having dinners with them but when I got back home, it was the complete opposite. My parents were packing their stuff, in a hurry, I must add. When my mom saw that I was back, she immediately said a string of words that I tried hard to catch.

"Oh god, Jin you're back. Your appa and I have to leave soon. Your grandmother had a fall at home and she couldn't walk. Luckily the neighbours found her in time and they ringed us up. She's in the hospital now so we're going to go over during this weekend to take care of her. I've made extra servings for dinner today so you can just heat the rest up tomorrow to eat. Also, I've left some money on your table so you can order some food when you've finished the extra servings."

"Is grandma okay? Is she in a serious condition?" I asked, worried. Despite me not having spent much time with my grandmother since she's in the countryside, I've always loved her company and it breaks my heart to know that she's going through all that pain alone. Thankfully my parents are going to head over to help her.

"We don't know yet but we will update you on her condition okay?" My dad said as he gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"Take care Yoojin. We'll see you soon arraso?" It was my mom's turn to give me a kiss.

"Arraso…" I nodded and waved them goodbye. "Tell grandma I said hi!" I shouted out to them as the left the house.

I then head back to my room and lay down on my bed in a slumped state. My legs are jelly at the moment and I don't think I can stand any longer. I just hope my grandma will be alright. Maybe my parents should have brought her here to stay with us. Or maybe because my grandmother didn't want to come to the city. Ugh, this feeling is horrible and I feel like crying right now. Please, let my grandmother be safe and healthy.

A message came through just at the right time because I needed someone to talk to. It was Myungsoo. I quickly replied to him and told him about the situation with my grandmother. I just needed someone to share my worries about my grandmother right now.

Myungsoo didn't reply my message but instead he called me.

"Myung!" I said through the phone.

"Hey, are you alright?" He sounded concern.

"Myung-ah… my grandmother…" I relayed the same thing I had messaged him about my grandmother and I felt like crying.

"Hey hey hey…" Myungsoo said with a very soothing voice and I choked back on my tears. "She's going to be fine okay? I bet she's as strong as you are." His voice was so soft and soothing that I felt relaxed immediately.

"I'm just really worried about her being alone." I added.

"If she knows that her granddaughter is living healthily and happily, I bet she will find strength in that. My own grandmother doesn't want to move to Seoul with us too. She stayed back, all alone but she has the neighbours who keep her company at times. She's not all alone and most importantly, she's happy there. She even told me that she wouldn't be happy if Myungho and I were still staying in that small town. She wanted us to go out there and explore whatever there is more than our small town. She's happy to see that we're happy."

I sighed because Myungsoo is right. When is he ever wrong?

"She'll be fine. I'm sure the Jung women are all strong."

I broke into a small laugh. "She's my mom's mother."

"Well, you have your mother's genes and your mother has her mother's genes, I'm sure you all are tough women. Just like you are."

The both of us then continued talking on the phone about other stuff and I even forgot to have my dinner until my stomach growled and I realized that I had indeed forgotten my dinner.

"Ah, Myung-ah, I haven't have dinner yet." I mumbled out in embarrassment. It was nice to talk to him and I didn't want to break the nice conversation we are having right now but then I really needed to fill my empty stomach as well.

"Yah, you haven't eaten?"

Uh-oh, I could tell from the tone of his voice that he is going to be giving me one hella nagging session about not eating on time.

"Jung Yoojin!" He called out my full name over the phone. "Please go and have your dinner right now before you get any gastric pains. How did you even forget your dinner? I thought you never let food out of your sight!"

"Yah!" I knew this was coming, I just know it. I got up from my bed and head to the kitchen to find that my mom has indeed prepared dinner for me. "Oh, my mom has prepared food for me. Don't worry Myung, I will survive this weekend without my parents." I said as I grabbed the bowl of food and headed to heat it up while still having Myungsoo on the line.

"So if I don't see you on Monday, I'll know you probably starved to death right?"

"Hey!" I snapped at him and got ready the table for my long awaited dinner. "There's always delivery."

And so that was how I spent my night alone. Having Myungsoo to keep me company as I eat my dinner alone for the first time since I can remember. We finally hung up when it was getting late and that the both of us had to go to sleep. Before I went to sleep, I had to text my mom to make sure that they have arrived safely at the countryside and to update me when they've met my grandmother.

We just met your grandmother. She's doing fine but she seems a little tired. Talk to you tomorrow love.

Phew. At least my grandmother is fine. Thank goodness. And then I don't know how long I lay there for until I finally fell asleep.

It's a Saturday today and it just feels different without my parents at home. One thing for sure is that I'm glad that they're with my grandmother now, so I know she's not alone. But it just feels different without them in the house. I've never really been alone at home like this without my parents. When I was still a kid, if my parents had to go away, I would be staying over at Woohyun's place so his parents will take care of me. There was always someone there to take care of me but now I guess I'm really being more independent already am I?

Well, I made a simple breakfast for myself and by simple breakfast, I meant just cereal and milk. That really is the simplest I could cough out in my entire eighteen years of life not being able to cook. Gosh, I really have to learn do I? Considering how my mom is one of the best cooks in the neighbourhood. Or at least I think she is.

After I was done with breakfast, I decided to just watch the television for a bit before I start studying. I've finished most of my homework yesterday during the study session and it was a good idea to do it with Sunggyu because if I had to do it alone… it would be a huge problem.

Sadly, the television has nothing interesting and I was so bored that I was just about to ask if anybody wanted to join me in a study session at my house when the bell rang. The feeling of being able to meet someone excites me because I was so lonely and so I ran to the door to welcome my visitor.

"Noona!"

I was greeted once again by the cutest kid on earth.

"Myungho!" I opened my arms out wide and he came into my embrace. I picked that cute little five year old kid up and held him while I opened the door wider for Myungho's eighteen year old brother.

"Hey," he greeted me casually and I let him in.

"What brings you guys here?"

"This little brat has been wanting to come over ever since the last time and he wouldn't stop bugging me." Myungsoo pointed to Myungho who was busy laughing away.

"Hyung! You're the—" Myungsoo had covered Myungho's mouth with his hand before Myungho could even finish his sentence.

"Yah! What are you doing to a five year old boy!" I protected Myungho from his brother's evil crutches.

"He's talkative." Myungsoo ruffled his hair and I let Myungho down from my arms. It's getting tiring for a weak person like me.

"And besides, I had to make sure you don't die during the weekends all alone."

I hit Myungsoo lightly on his chest for being mean and then I went to get the Kim brothers some water.

"Myung-ah! Wanna study together?" I ask as I handed him his cup of water and placed Myungho's cup on the coffee table in case he drops it or anything.

Myungsoo gave this knowing smile like he'd expected it and then went to grab out his books from his bag and started placing them on the coffee table. Oh yeah! I'm not letting him off the hook now, I'm going to make him tutor me today.

We had actually shifted to the dining table to study instead because it was a bigger table and we gave the living room space to Myungho as he sat on the couch watching tv. Myungsoo and I then began our intensive studying session. Well, intensive because I aimed to get the most out of it while he's still here.

Which in fact, I did bombard him with questions. Lots and lots of questions that I actually felt bad for disturbing him in his studies but he said that he's willing to help so I shouldn't hold back. Maybe he's just being nice. I mean, who would like someone to spam you with questions when you're studying? Not me. Also because I don't really understand much so nobody really asks me anything related to academics and so I don't really know how it feels like.

"Do you get it? Or do you need me to explain to you again?" Myungsoo asked as I stated at that same page over and over again. I feel bad if I'm going to ask him to explain it again because it's already his third time explaining this to me.

"I…"

"Okay, I'll explain it again in a different way this time, maybe you'll get it." He said and he started explaining to me again despite me not giving a clear reply. I was about to tell him I understood just so that I don't have to make him do it again. Aish, Jung Yoojin you are such a burden to everybody!

Studying with Myungsoo is actually pretty amazing too because he's just as smart as Sunggyu is and he understands everything. I don't even know how long I've been studying with him when suddenly cute little Myungho came to us and pulled against my shirt.

"Noona, I'm hungry." Myungho sounded sad. I looked at the time and realize it was already 1pm in the afternoon! Poor Myungho must have been hungry.

"Kim Myungho, is that how you ask someone for food?" Myungsoo's stern brotherly voice came out once again.

"Noona, can I have some food?" Myungho tried again.

Myungsoo glared at him.

"Please?" Myungho added in the end and I ruffled his hair. He's just so cute!

"Arraso, noona will go and prepare so you just wait here okay?" I patted to the empty seat next to me and Myungho immediately climbed up to take his seat. "Help me clear the table, I'll prepare food." I said to Myungsoo this time.

"Are you cooking?" He asked, shocked.

"Aniya, my mom has made extra servings yesterday so that I don't starve to death. We can eat that."

"Then what about the rest of your meals?"

"I'll figure it out." I shrugged it off easily and went to heat up the remaining leftovers my mom had cooked for lunch.

So for lunch, I was sitting opposite Myungsoo and Myungho was next to me chewing away in happiness because my mom's cooking is really the best. Even tiny little Myungho agrees. We ate and talk and I felt so happy. Maybe it's because for once, I didn't have to worry about my studies or things about me. Myungho had that effect on me. Seeing such a young kid living his life with no worries, it made me wish I were five again. It'll be just Howon and I against the world. But then again, I love the six of us right now and how I wish we all had met with we were five. That would be so amazing.

Well, good things don't last forever and soon, we were done with lunch. How is it that when you're having fun, time passes so fast but when you're not, time passes super slowly?

I collected the dishes and went to the kitchen to wash them when someone stopped me. There's only one other eighteen year old other than me in the house anyways.

"Let me do the washing, Jin." Myungsoo said as he started rolling up his sleeves.

"Aniya, you're a guest in the house." I declined, but Myungsoo was firm.

"We ate your food that's meant for the weekends. Let me at least help you do the dishes." He used his hip and lightly nudge me away from the sink and he began his washing. I didn't know what to say or to do so I just stood there and watch him scrub away. The sleeves of his sweatshirt kept falling and I watched him struggle with the sleeves, trying not to get them wet.

"Here I'll help you." I said and I rolled up his sleeves again for him.

"Thanks." He muttered.

After we were done washing the dishes, we continued with our boring studying. Okay, not boring if Myungsoo's helping me. We worked the afternoon away, only taking small breaks here and there to play with Myungho once in a while. It is now late afternoon and Myungho is just taking his nap from all that chasing around with his brother.

Myungsoo and I then went back to studying and I got so tired I kept dosing off. Myungsoo, on the other hand, was still going strong with his progress. He then used his pen and drew a funny face on my hand while I was dozing off but the contact of his pen on my skin jolted me awake.

"Yah!" I shouted at him until I realized Myungho was sleeping and I should be quiet.

He just laughed and I tried to take my revenge but Myungsoo was too strong for me. I couldn't break though his defences to draw on him. Aish! I gave up and glared at him before I continued with my work.

And so, the sun began to set and I found myself getting hungry again. But what should I have for dinner? Myungsoo began packing up because he has to bring his brother back home for dinner.

"Hey, do you want to come over for dinner or something? Then you don't have to cook." Myungsoo suggested.

I thought about it and it does sound like a good idea but I realize that this may just be my opportunity to learn how to cook. I've got to start somewhere right?

"Aniya, I want to learn how to cook! And this may be just the best time to learn." I said to him but he was giving my sceptical looks.

"So you don't know how to cook."

"I can always learn from the Internet!"

"Are you sure about this?" He eyed me one more time and I nodded.

"Yes." I even started to help him pack up. Myungsoo then went to wake Myungho up, telling him that they need to leave now and the sleepy Myungho didn't protest like he usually would. Maybe because he's sleepy now and doesn't know what's going on.

"Andwae, I don't trust you. I'm gonna give you a recipe and steps to follow. It's really easy, just follow these steps alright." Myungsoo then reached out for a piece of pen and paper and began writing. When he was done, he handed it to me and I saw that it was a recipe for kimchi fried rice.

"You know how to cook?" I was shocked.

He gestured to Myungho who was putting on his shoes at my doorstep. "I've got to take care of the little one so I learned. Can't believe I have to take care of you too." He joked about that last line and ruffled my hair like I was the kid around.

"Yah!" I wanted to hit him but he quickly escaped from my house. A smile crept on my face as I watch Myungsoo help Myungho with his shoes. "Thanks for keeping my company."

"No problem. I'll see you on Monday. Let's go Myungho." Myungsoo held out his hand and Myungho grabbed it immediately and they left. Of course, Myungho didn't forget to say his goodbyes to me.

After the pair left, I whipped out all the ingredients he listed and tried to cook for the first time in my life.

It was a disaster. A huge one at that. I really wasn't used to cooking and so I messed up the timing of everything. Gosh, I really need to learn from my mom. I had taken a photo for Myungsoo to show him my final product. It looked normal, but it tastes horrible. Myungsoo just laughed and he started sending me photos of his wonderful dinner at home. Wow, I miss my mom's cooking already.

Nightfall soon came and it was getting chilly, considering how summer is coming to an end. The winds blew strongly and then suddenly it started raining out there. I rushed to shut all the windows because it looked alright this afternoon and now it's suddenly starting to rain.

I sat in front of the tv, trying to find something interesting to watch since I didn't want to study anymore. I had exchanged texts with Myungsoo frequently throughout the night because the tv was boring.

My mom had even called me during the night to update me about my grandmother. She's in the hospital right now and because of the fall, she's having trouble walking so she needs to be hospitalized for a few days. My mom reassured me that she's fine and that I shouldn't worry too much and just focus on my studies.

I then went to wash up and get ready for bed when suddenly, there was a knock on the door. My heart skipped a beat and I was scared. It's late at night, there's nobody else home and it's raining outside, who could it be? There was then another knock. My heart gripped with fear and I went to the peephole to check out who it was. I saw a dark silhouette standing outside with their face down. The person was dripping wet and just slightly shivering. I couldn't see the face but I could tell from the silhouette.

After registering who it was, I immediately opened the door.

He looked up at me and I had a shock of my life.

His face, paled. Eyes red and swollen. He looked like he had all the life out of him. Those eyes gave off sadness.

It was Kim Sunggyu.

--

"G-Gyu!" I stuttered as I let him in my house. He stumbled in and he almost fell so I had to catch him before he could even fall. His clothes were soaked and he was shivering because he was freezing cold.

He didn't say anything and he doesn't need to. First of all, he needs a fresh change of clothes and a hot shower.

"Go have a hot shower." I said as I led him to the bathroom and then I left to get him a fresh set of clean and warm clothes. Those clothes belong to Howon but it's not like he remembers about these anyways.

When I got back to the bathroom, I saw Sunggyu standing there lifelessly. He was still shivering.

"Gyu," I said with a softer tone in my voice. "You're freezing. Go have a hot shower okay?"

Sunggyu finally looked at me and he nodded. I left so that he could have a hot shower and I went to the kitchen to boil some water. He's going to get a cold like this.

When he was done and he came down to the dinning area, I headed him a cup of hot citron tea. That should help him not catch a cold. He sat down and quietly sipped the tea and I stared at his face. His eyes were still red and swollen, meaning he had cried his eyes out before he came over. I felt my heart ache for this man sitting next to me. Yes, he's not a boy but a man. Out of all of us, Sunggyu is the most mature one.

I decided to break the silence because I really didn't want to see Sunggyu this way. He looks so… broken. It pains me so much to know about the things he's going through.

"Gyu-ah…" I started, but then I didn't know how to continue.

He stopped drinking and he looked up at me. "It was not meant to end this way…"

"Neh?"

Sunggyu's eyes started to tear again and I felt bad for probing this subject when he didn't want to say anything. I placed an arm on his shoulder to calm him down.

"Today is my mother's birthday." He said quietly as he looked down and I could tell he was trying hard to hold back the sobs. "My manager only let me take half a day off so I went to the hospital with my dad in the morning…" He trailed off once more and I continued patting him on the back.

"We celebrated her birthday there for her." Sunggyu let out a small smile despite him crying at the thought of his mother. "I'm sure she loved it."

I nodded in response.

"Towards the end, my dad got upset and he started crying. He missed my mother, a lot. And so I sent him home before I needed to report for work. I told him go just rest and sleep it off… but…" Sunggyu broke down again and this time, instead of just patting his back, I reached out to bring him into a warm embrace.

"He drank his sorrows away. I should have known, I should have known there'd been alcohol in the house." Sunggyu kept on crying. "The whole place, it's a mess. He wrecked the whole house Jin, the whole house."

I don't know why but I started crying as well. Maybe it's because Sunggyu was crying so hard. I tried so hard not to cry because I had to be the strong one for him but I couldn’t help it. He gripped onto my arms tighter than before and he cried in my embrace.

I don't know when I started to cuddle Sunggyu and hugged him like he was a little kid. I patted his back and sang him a song to soothe his sadness. If you didn't already guess it, yes, I sang Shinee's green rain like how Myungsoo sang it for me the other time.

After Sunggyu had stopped crying, he sat back up straight and he took out a photo in a broken frame from the inside of the jacket he was wearing. He must have taken it before he ran out of his home. I looked closer and saw that it was a photo with Sunggyu and his parents. Both his parents. He was maybe around five and his parents were all smiling widely. They were happy.

"He even broke this." Sunggyu said, with a tinge of hurt in his voice. It is clear he loves this photo a lot. Sunggyu then turned to face me. "What do I do Jin? The whole place is wrecked. There's nowhere else for me to go now."

"Here." I said without even knowing I said it. "You can always come here."

Sunggyu stared at me.

"Gyu, you need to rest. Tomorrow, I'll go with you to get a new frame and then we'll go back and face the reality. I'll face it with you so you don't have to go through that all alone, okay? Just rest for tonight."

Sunggyu slowly nodded and I led him up to my room and prepared his bed for him. We laid there in silence. I didn't want to say anything because I know Sunggyu is too busy thinking about the whole thing rather than trying to forget it. I turned over and looked at his pale face in the dark. Comparing this to the other times I've seen Sunggyu on the streets, he'd never looked this broken. He always held on for his dad but for the first time, he'd look so broken. Like he needed someone else to glue pieces of him back together.

You're not broken, Kim Sunggyu. You've been holding on for so long, you can't break now okay. You have to stay strong. For yourself, for your mom and also, for your dad, whom you love so very much.

I never really understood why Sunggyu had always showed unconditional love for his dad because in my mind, what his dad is doing is wrong. I thought it was wrong. But then I never really knew his dad and I won't know how much of a great father he is to Sunggyu. Who am I to give such judgmental views?

I looked at Sunggyu once more and I saw that he had his eyes closed already. He must have been so tired today. So so so tired.

--

Sunday morning came and I woke up earlier than Sunggyu did. I decided not to wake him up and just let him rest longer and also so that he can feel less stress. I then made some toast and fried eggs for breakfast and I hope it's edible considering how I really can't cook for nuts. The toast was slightly burnt but I really tried my best.

As if on cue, Sunggyu woke up and he made his way to the kitchen.

"Oh Gyu! Go and have a seat, breakfast will be ready soon!"

"I'll help you." He croaked, his voice still a little strained from all the crying and grief yesterday.

"Aniya, go and have a seat." I pushed him out of the kitchen and then I brought out the toast and eggs. I even made a hot drink for the both of us. Sunggyu looked better than yesterday, but his eyes are still slightly red and swollen and his face still as pale as ever.

"Gyu-ah, we'll have a nice breakfast, although I can't cook well, and then we'll go out and get a new photo frame and whenever you're ready, we'll get you back home okay?" I said to him softly like I would to a little kid.

He nodded and managed out a smile and he picked up a toast to eat.

"You're still far from your mother's skills Jin." He tried to crack a joke and I laughed, easing the atmosphere.

"I know. Myung told me already." I began starting a small conversation with him and bringing up what Myungsoo and I did yesterday and thankfully, Sunggyu laughed. We chatted throughout breakfast and I hope that lightened up his mood and brightened just a little bit of his day.

After we were done with breakfast, I went to the kitchen to wash the dishes but Sunggyu insisted that he should be the one cleaning up instead. He was persistent and I couldn't do anything so I went to find a new set of clothes for him to dress in and then we can head out.

When I stepped into my room, I saw the family photo that belonged to Sunggyu on the table. He was smiling so happily and so did his parents. When did he lose this smile?

After Sunggyu was done, he came into my room and I handed him some of Howon's clothes.

"Are all these Howon's?" He pointed to the clothes.

"Yeah. He couldn't be bothered to bring it back anyways."

Sunggyu eyed the clothes and the he eyed me. Like 'why does Howon have so many clothes anyways?'

"Yah, go change." I chased him out of my room before he could even associate further as to why Howon has so many clothes in my room. I mean, I told him previously that Howon stays over often and so he shouldn't be surprised at all.

The both of us then went out and I made sure that Sunggyu has his photo with him. The main point wasn't really to get a photo frame I guess, I wanted him to go out to relax and unwind. Get his mind off things. Which is why, I've brought Kim Sunggyu to a shopping mall.

"Gyu-ah, I want you to not think about anything today. Just let yourself loose and have fun shopping. Don't worry about your dad, your house, nothing at all. Just relax and then we'll find a way after you've relaxed alright?"

"It's not that easy you know, Jin."

I nodded. "I know. But I want you to try."

Sunggyu replied me with a nod and I gave him a smile before we headed into the mall.

Our main goal was to find him a photo frame but instead, the both of us were just looking at other stuff. Or more like I was looking at other stuff. I mean, I am a girl after all so I just had to look at everything this mall has to offer. I don't go out shopping often but when I do, wow. The whole mall blows me away with all the variety of stuff you can purchase.

However, nothing fascinates me more than food. There was a dessert place, an ice cream place and a cake place altogether.

"Gyu, let's go get ice cream shall we?" and I pulled him along to this ice cream parlor.

"It's not even afternoon yet Jin. And you want to eat ice cream?" He questioned my sanity.

"You can always have ice cream any time of the day." I winked and went to order my favourite flavour of ice cream. Sunggyu ordered as well and before he could even take out his wallet, I took out mine and paid for the both of us.

Sunggyu then opened his mouth to say something but I stopped him. "Shhh… I'm treating." And I pulled him along to shop at other parts of the mall.

At first, I noticed that Sunggyu was holding back himself from enjoying his time but soon later, he began to let loose and just indulge in the freedom he has now. I know, shopping may not be a guy's thing but I'm glad Sunggyu could just let his hair down for awhile. Even if it's just for awhile.

The both of us then walked past a gift store and I was just about to walk straight ahead but Sunggyu held onto me and pulled me into the store. First of all, the things they have here is beautiful. Just so beautiful. The store was decorated in a minimalist and pastel way so most of their stuff was either in pastel colours or white.

Sunggyu then walked towards the photo frames section and he pulled out his family photo from the inner side of his jacket. I observed him and I noticed that he seems more focused than ever. He didn't have that pained expression as yesterday when he stared at the photo. He just seems calm, collected and serious, like he's choosing the most important thing in the world.

"Jin, what do you think about this?" He picked up this white photo frame that is simple yet elegant.

I nodded enthusiastically. "It's pretty!"

Sunggyu looked at the frame once more and smiled. I noticed this time that it's more of a sad smile, like this happy family of his was all just in the past. I reached out and placed a hand on his shoulder and gave it a squeeze, as if saying that it's going to be alright.

Sunggyu then headed to the cashier to pay and I stopped him once more. "Let me get this for you."

He shook his head. "Aniya."

"I want to Gyu. I want to get this for you. As a present."

Stubbornly, Sunggyu refuses to budge. "Jin, this time, it's a present from me. To my family. I want to get this on my own."

"Arraso." I let him pay and I just smiled at his back view. He's just so mature and so grown up. Where did that innocent little Sunggyu go?

After getting the photo frame, the both of us then decided to have some lunch before Sunggyu goes back. When I mentioned about going back home, his whole face changed and I could tell he really doesn't want to go back to reality.

"Hey," I said as I placed a hand on his hand. "I'll go with you. And I insist. I want to make sure you'll be okay. Most of all, I want you to know you're not alone in this world. I'll face it with you."

"Thanks Jin." Sunggyu held my hand tighter and our heart-warming moment was interrupted by the waitress, who just cleared so that we could make our order.

We ate happily and I tried to get Sunggyu's mind off things and I'm not sure if it's working but I'm trying. Until the moment finally came. I told Sunggyu that we could hang out longer if he doesn't want to go back yet but he seemed bent on heading back.

"My dad's all alone in that empty house. I guess it's time to go back." He muttered out softly and I nodded. "You don't have to come if you don't want to Jin. I don't want you to see—"

"It's alright. I don't mind."

Sunggyu and I then started heading for his house. I've only ever been to his house once, which is also when I've found out about his family background. The place is still the same as from my memories but when Sunggyu opened the door. I had a shock of my life. I tried to hold my breath so that I don't make any huge sound or anything but I really am shocked to see what happened.

Glass shards were everywhere, the cushions from the couch were all thrown in different directions and chairs and tables were upturned. It is basically like someone came in and wrecked the entire house upside down. There in the middle of this madness, sat a guy in his late forties and he looked up to see who came. I got yet another shock when I saw his face. He was crying. He just looked so… broken.

"Abeoji!" Sunggyu immediately ran up to him to help him up and cleared the glass shards away from his dad.

"Sunggyu-ah… my child Sunggyu…" His father was crying uncontrollably. "W-what have I done? What have I done?" He cried even harder.

"A-abeoji!" Sunggyu helped his father up on his feet and adjusted a chair nicely to help him sit. Remember the fifteen year old Sunggyu that needed my help to carry his father? The eighteen year old Sunggyu now could handle it all on his own. He'd grown so much.

"I'm… I'm sorry my child… I'm so sorry." His father continued crying even on the chair and Sunggyu hugged his father tighter while he fought back his own tears.

His father kept repeating the same words of "what have I done?" And "I'm so sorry" and Sunggyu just hugged him.

"It's okay… it's okay. Everything is going to be okay." He calmed his father down. It was as though he was telling that to himself rather than to his dad. I could only watch the pair crying and I didn't even realize that I was crying as well until I felt something wet by my cheek. I touched my face and then I realized I was touched by this scene in front of me. That's what love is supposed to be.

--

Once things have settled down, Sunggyu, his dad and I began helping to clean the small house. First of all, we had to remove all the dangerous broken glass and then set the furniture back in place.

"Jin, leave the glass to me." Sunggyu said as he came over to take over my role.

I didn't say anything but let him do it instead. I noticed that Sunggyu's father was cleaning up really diligently too. It was like he really couldn't believe what he had done and he kept apologizing to Sunggyu for destroying the place. Sunggyu kept telling his dad that it was okay and that they were going to fix this right now so he doesn't have to worry.

By late noon, we were done cleaning up and Sunggyu's humble abode looked cosy once again. He then took out the new frame he bought and placed the photo in it carefully before leaving it in the living room, right next to the television.

"I'm sorry you had to see this…" I turned to the source of the voice and realized that Sunggyu's dad was talking to me.

"Aniya, I was just worried about Sunggyu." I said politely. Strangely enough, Sunggyu's dad was not what I had expected. I never would have thought he would be such a polite and courteous person. But then again, I've only seen him when he was drunk.

"Abeoji, this is Yoojin, one of my closest friends in school." Sunggyu introduced me.

His father smiled at me and stood up, "I'll get you some tea."

"Oh, it's okay! Really!" I said but it was too late. His father was already making his way to the kitchen.

When he returned with the tea, I slowly sipped on it in silence. I didn't know what to say because Sunggyu's dad was someone I never expected him to turn out to be. No wonder Sunggyu never gave up on his dad. He's a nice person… it's only when he drinks.

Sunggyu's dad then let out an audible sigh. "I can't believe I wrecked our place… I'm so sorry for scaring you son." He patted Sunggyu on the back.

"Abeoji, I know you're hurt over ommoni but drinking won't solve the problem. Omma wouldn't want to see you this way." Sunggyu mustered up the courage and told his dad.

His dad hung his head down in shame. "It's not the first time you've told me this and still each time I do it and cause you to worry."

"Abeoji, this isn't about me. This is about you, I'm worried about you and the way you manage the grief."

"What I've seen today… it woke me up. I found myself lying in the middle of the mess only to realize that it's our home. Your home. I've destroyed it for you. It woke me up son. That my actions have caused you so much pain."

Sunggyu looked up at his dad and then he looked at me. I nodded for him to go on.

"Abeoji, please, try to quit drinking will you?" Sunggyu said meekly, as if afraid that his father will get angry or mad. He continued when he sensed that it was okay to go on. "There are many places that offer help and I can even go with you if you want. I just want you to be healthy. For both ommoni and I. Please?"

Surprisingly, Sunggyu's father nodded. "I will son. I promise you I will try." He opened his arms and Sunggyu went into his embrace.

"Thank you." Sunggyu was so touched that he started crying once more. I saw the relief that went through him. I saw the relief in his eyes. The way his eyebrows weren't tightly knitted anymore. The way his jaw stopped clenching so hard. He's finally going to be able to relax.

"One last thing." Sunggyu's dad pulled away from the hug and looked at his son seriously. "When I was drunk… did I ever… did I… you know…" He couldn't say it out but I could kind of guessed the answer.

"No, you didn't." Sunggyu said and I looked at him. He gave me this look that said 'no, don't tell him' and I zipped my mouth.

"Thank goodness… I'm sorry for all the pain I've caused."

--

Sunggyu had insisted that he walk me back home and so here we are, just leaving his house and on my way back.

"Why didn't you tell him, Gyu?" I asked regarding the question his dad had asked earlier.

Sunggyu shook his head. "I can't tell him Jin. He's a broken man right now. Imagine if I told him that he had unintentionally hurt his son when he was drunk… he'd be even more broken than he already is. But I'm glad he finally has the will to quit. Before, I used to talk to him about it and he would just say that he'll do it but it was all half-hearted. Today, it's the first time I've seen him with such determination to quit drinking. I'm proud of him Jin. I really am. I know my mother will be proud too…"

"She'll be so proud of the both of you. The way you think is so mature gosh, she must be so proud to see her son grow up so well." I smiled at Sunggyu and he smiled back, with that same radiant smile I've seen during the Busan trip.

"I can't wait to tell her this piece of good news." Sunggyu said.

An idea then popped into my head. "Then let's go now!" I exclaimed.

"Neh?" Sunggyu was clearly shocked.

"I want to see your mom too! If that's okay with you."

"O-of course that's okay!" He was still flustered by my straightforwardness.

Just like that, the both of us were now on a bus headed to see Sunggyu's ommoni.

--

The hospital was dull and quiet. Maybe it's because it's the silence for the patients that have been sleeping for a long long time, like Sunggyu's mom.

When we reached near his mother's ward, Sunggyu started greeting some nurses and I know it's because he has come so often that he knows almost all the people working around that area.

We then reached his mother's ward and he led me in.

"This is my ommoni."

I stared at the expressionless but peaceful face. She had the same fair skin as Sunggyu. She looked… so pretty. His mother is a natural born goddess.

"Omma, this is Jung Yoojin. One of my best friends since middle school. She's the most amazing person I've ever met." Sunggyu then went up to hold her hand up. "I've told you about her didn't I?"

I froze. Sunggyu mentioned me to his mother?

"She has helped me a lot omma, in ways that I can't even repay her. She's just that amazing."

I smiled at his comment. Same to you Kim Sunggyu. You have helped me in ways I can't ever repay you too. We're even.

"Abeoji has finally decided to quit drinking. This time, I can tell he's serious. So please, wake up so you can see abeoji in a healthy state again. He's been through so much for you. Please, wake up for him okay? Promise me you'll do that?" Sunggyu caressed his mother's fair and pretty hands. I noticed they look similar. So that's where Sunggyu got his pretty hands.

I stood next to Sunggyu and I couldn't help but admire how pretty his mom looked. She must have been a really kind and great woman, just like how Sunggyu is.

"Mrs Kim…" I found myself saying all of a sudden. "Sunggyu is a great guy. He's the top in the cohort and he plays basketball well. There's just nothing he can't do so don't worry. Kim Sunggyu over here grew up well." I told his mom.

Sunggyu looked at me and gave me a thankful smile. No worries Kim Sunggyu.

This time, we were finally heading back to my home. Even though I told him it's alright, Sunggyu had insisted that he will send me back home.

"Gyu," I started.

"Hmm?" He seemed more cheerful now.

"Tell your mom more about yourself too."

"Neh?"

Knowing Sunggyu's personality, he probably told his mom about everybody around him. Including his dad and us, but I have a feeling that he hardly mentions about himself.

"Once in a while, tell your mom that you topped the cohort. You did well. And the  little achievements that you had along the way. Let her know you're growing up well."

Sunggyu just stared at me blankly.

"She would like to know more about her son. All these years, she'd missed out growing up with you. Tell her the things she should have been there for. All your award ceremonies and basketball trophies. I'm sure she will be so proud of you."

Sunggyu slowly started to smile.

"I will."

"That's more like it." I nudged him lightly and this time, we really headed back to my home.

--

Being alone at home wasn't easy because first of all, I at cooking. Second of all, I'm worried about my grandmother too and lastly, there's just too much time on my hands to think about other stuff. Thankfully, my mom had texted me once more to say that my grandmother is doing well but the both of them had decided to stay a few more days just to make sure that she's able to take care of herself after she's discharged from the hospital. I told them to take as long as they need, because this is a good time for poor dependent Jin to learn how to be independent.

Despite making horrible dinner, I managed to stomach it and I thought a lot about Sunggyu and his family tonight. His will to fight for his family's happiness is so strong. I just wish there was something else I could do to grant him that happiness. The good thing is, his dad is willing to try and quit drinking now and that's a good start isn't it? It has to at least start somewhere.

Sunggyu's family story had actually inspired me to cherish my family more than ever. The happiness and peace that we take for granted each day, is something that he could never have. So instead of arguing with my mom about not ironing my clothes the day before, not cleaning up my room, nagging me about everything and more, I should be appreciative. Sunggyu's mom couldn't even do that for him

Through Sunggyu, I've learned that the love you have for your family, may just be the greatest love of all.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Since I have some spare time on my hands, I have decided to update!!! Hahahaaha okay, I don't exactly have spare time but I just wanted to update because I didn't want to study..... *procrastinates* anyways, I hope I didn't break too many hearts with Sunggyu's situation but then again his dad has promised to try and quit drinking and Sunggyu seems happier than ever!!!! ^^ 

As ususal, I hope this chapter was an enjoyable one for you guys and don't hesitate to leave me a comment! I really appreciate comments so keep them coming in! I like to know what my readers are thinking! Also, many thanks for that upvote my dear reader!!!!!!!!! (you know who you are ;)) I am so thankful that people like my story enough to even upvote it :'''''') Here's me crying a bucket of tears in gratefulness. TT.TT

Finally, I have proof read my chapter but I am pretty sure there are still typos out there that escaped my eyes so I will reread it again soon and correct them when I spot them! In the meantime, if you guys spot them pls ignore those typos alright! Have a great week ahead everybody! I love you all so much :*