Chapter 8

Kings and Queens

It was a calm morning, singing their lovely tune, dew dropping from the greenest grass and the soft rays of the sun shining down through the clouds. Standing quietly outside the East Palace with heads down and hands folded neatly in front were the 12 attendants. But at a closer look, it seemed like one was missing. So where was this missing attendant?

She was kneeling across the Crown Prince, her arms on her knees with a strong stare at the floor. Out of habit, she bit her bottom lip, a normal thing for her when she was nervous. 

The Crown Prince on the other hand was eyeing her up and down, resting his cheek against his propped up arm. After a moment of silence he parted his lips to speak, "Ji Hyo-ssi~" He called calmly. Seeing her glance up at him for a moment, he chuckled and continue to speak. "If I had known you would act this way towards me knowing that I am the Prince... I should have just killed you yesterday." He said frustrated that she was being a different person with him.

Ji Hyo's heart pounded against her chest with his words. //How could I act the way I was? I would get killed for being so disrespectful...But I might get killed if I dont..// Ji Hyo's mind was jumbled with thoughts when suddenly a warm hand sneaked under her chin. She was taken aback while His Highness pulled her chin to eye level, a smirk on his mouth. 

"Seems like you are a doll and I have to control you manually." Jong Kook mused, sitting back down on his cushion. 

Ji Hyo looked up at him and finally spoke. "Y..Y..Your Hi..Highness" said quietly, fumbling with the hems of her dress.

Jong Kook gazed at her with a smile. "Finally you speak... I was beginning to worry that you went mute."

Ji Hyo couldnt help but laugh at his comment but quickly covered , clearing as though nothing happened.

Jong Kook raised a brow, "Ji Hyo-ssi, this is what I wish. For you to treat me like a friend.. I dont want you to treat me highly because of my title." He said in a brisk voice.

"But Your Highness... How could a low servant like me, treat your highness in such a way?" Ji Hyo questioned, now making eye contact with him.

"Ehem! That was a royal order!" Jong Kook proclaimed seriously.

"But.."

"Are you objecting a royal order? Do you wish to meet the consquences of disobeying my orders?" Jong Kook butted in, a cunning smirk forming while he kept his eyes narrowed.

Ji Hyo gazed helpelessly at him, chewing on her bottom lip nervously. "Yes... Your Highness" She mumbled dipping her head slightly. She rose to her feet and was about to leave when Jong Kook called. "Ji Hyo-ssi, water please~"

Ji Hyo turned and bowed, "Oh? Sure Your Highness." She said rushing off.

Jong Kook sat at his desk, grinning to himself. //That girl is too amusing... I can't help it but I feel like teasing her.// He thought opening one of his books, lazily reading the words. 

Ji Hyo quickly rushed back to the palace with a tray, ontop of the tray was a cup and a jug of water. She entered the Prince's chambers with a bow and placed the tray upon his desk. With both hands she poured the water into the glass before placing the jug down.

"Hmm Ji Hyo-ssi, could you get me some rice cakes as well?" The Prince asked glancing at the water but not drinking it. 

Ji Hyo raised her brows but quickly bowed and rushed once more to the kitchen. Every time she came back with what the Prince wanted he would send her off to get something else.

"Ji Hyo-ssi, some soup would be good.."

"Ji Hyo-ssi, tea please."

"Ji Hyo-ssi, a bowl of rice please!"

Ji Hyo was frantically dashing between the palace and the kitchen, her breath grew quick and fast as she walked speedily. The other attendants had watched her enter and leave the Prince's chambers countless times, wondering why on earth was she the only one being ordered.

"Lady Jung.. Dont you think the Prince is being abit harsh?" Maeri whispered to the older woman, glancing at Ji Hyo who once again scurried out of the chambers. 

Lady Jung agreed with a nod, "Does his highness plan to overwork her?" She muttered not exactly directing it to anyone.

Both of them shurgged their shoulders when Ji Hyo came running back, carrying some wet towels that were stacked in a basket. 

Ji Hyo raced up the steps, sweat trickling down the side of her face. //This darn prince...//She thought in frustration and she slipped off her shoes and entered his chambers, panting heavily. She had already lost count on how many times she had bowed to the Prince considering how many times she left and entered. With a heavy sigh she bowed and shuffled ot his desk, her chest rising and falling quickly. "Your Highness..." She managed to utter placing the basket down with slight force.

She released her angry grip on the basket, preparing herself to be ordered once more but if he dared to order her, she swore she would burst in anger.

"Ji Hyo-ssi.." Jong Kook began only to earn a sharp glare from her. Ji Hyo gritted her teeth, clenching her dress as she knelt across from him. Her glare was strong as the fear she once had for him was no longer visible, only anger. Sweat was dripping down onto her dress as she sat in agitation for her next order.

"Yes..." She hissed through her teeth, "Your Highness?" 

Jong Kook picked up one of the wet towels that was in the basket, feeling its coldness against his hand. Without a word, he placed it in front of the girl, pushing it towards her. 

Ji Hyo glanced at the towel upon the desk that was pushed towards herself. Looking back up at the Prince who didnt say anything before looking back at the towel. //Was this some sort of sick joke?// She huffed in distaste. //Order me around like that and then try to make it seem better by giving me something I carried for you!// She thought, raging inside. Grinding her teeth together, she turned her head away, denying the Prince's so called 'kind' gesture.

Jong Kook was expecting her to receive it with thanks but didnt think she would be so straight forward with her descision. Feeling slight humilation, he cleared his throat and snatched the towel away from her, acting as though he planned to place it there for himself. He dabbed at his forehead even though he wasn't the one drenched in sweat, quite baffled to be embarrased by a servant. Seeing that she was clearly far too angry, he finally dismissed her. "That is all Ji Hyo-ssi. You are excused to go and rest in your sleeping quarters." He said awkwardly, turning away, trying to regain his powerful aura. 

Ji Hyo merely dipped her head and walked out of his study, her steps hard and anyone could tell she was fuming. Her wonderous braid had been messed into million strands, loosely hanging from the ribbon. She walked down the steps, not even batting an eye to the other attendants who were whispering about her furious look. All the palace attendants and guards could see her anger and decided to not get in her away, not even daring to make eye contact with this 16 year old attendant. 

Ji Hyo barged into the sleeping quarters, startling some of the resting attendants who sat up at her presence. 

"Yah! Cant you knoc-" An attendant shouted but fell silent after being glared at by Ji Hyo. They watched her cautiously, quite scared to make a sound. With a huff of air, Ji Hyo threw herself onto the ground where her bed spread was laid out. She rolled under the blanket, undressing herself with closed eyes. It was normal for the attendants to undress in front of each other considering the small spaces and the fact they had to rush, so the resting attendants looked away. She tossed her vest and skirt out onto the floor, along with her inner garment. Ji Hyo sighed, feeling comfortable in her silky under clothing, wrapping herself tightly in her blanket. Her eyelids slowly drooped shut and she was soon entering her peaceful slumber.


The doors to the Prince's chambers slid open as His Highness's loyal guard stepped in, bowing to the Prince lightly. He sat across Jong Kook with crossed legs, resting his hands on his knees. "Your Highness.." He greeted.

"Ah yes, Jae Suk-ah.. What do you wish to speak about?" Jong Kook asked casually, looking up from his books.

"Well.. Your Highness.. Lady Jung requests to know the reason of why the palace attendant, Ji Hyo-ssi was consistently being called to complete orders." Jae Suk explained.

Jong Kook placed his book down carefully and leaned back against his cushion, looking at his guard with a raised brow. "Why does she want to know?"

"For the sake of Ji Hyo-ssi's wellbeing and health."

"I see.. Well I called on her because she is the only palace attendant of mine that is pleasant to look at." He admitted with a calm tone. "Do not misunderstand, as I did not develop any romantic feelings towards her. I simply find her the most charming and intriguing one out of the bunch." He added sheepishly.

Jae Suk nodded, "I understand Your Highness.. But for Ji Hyo-ssi's health, Lady Jung had requested that she wouldn't be called upon everytime." Jae Suk informed, standing up. He dipped his head to the prince.

"I can't help it Jae Suk-ah.. She seems to quite the character, someone I wish to know more about." Jong Kook said before his guard left. 

Jae Suk stepped down the stairs and turned to Lady Jung who stood anxiously. "So what did His Highness say?" She asked quickly.

"Yea Jae Suk-ssi! Tell us!" Maeri chimed in, rushing forward to the two. 

Jae Suk scratched his head and told them the reason for the Prince's behaviour which made both of them tilt their head in confusion. 

"So you are telling me, the reason Ji-Hyo was called upon so many times without a break was because he found her pleasant looking?" Lady Jung said in disbelief. 

Maeri could only scoff and turn away, clearing unsatisfied with the show of favourtism. 

Jae Suk merely nodded, "However I don't think her looks are the only reason for his behaviour... I think His Highness might have taken a liking for Ji Hyo-ssi." He whispered to Lady Jung and Maeri.

"We suspected that as well.." Jung spoke in a hushed voice. "But we don't think that Ji Hyo could repay the feelings back and what more, it would be frowned upon by others." 

Jae Suk nodded while Maeri stood confused. "Frowned upon?" Maeri asked her older sunbae. 

"Yes Maeri-ah. Ji Hyo was once the palace slave and not only that, she has lowborn blood in her. The Prince is royalty and many ministers would disagree with the Prince marrying a lowborn like her. " Jung explained slowly, thinking it through.

Jae Suk suddenly lit up as an idea popped into his head, "Unless..." He began leaning close to the two. 

"Unless?" they both said at the same time, curious to what may make this impossible pair work.

"Unless Kim Jong Kook becomes King."


Wow! Sorry guys for such a late upload. I have been going out way to often. Sadly my updates might become less frequent since my family is coming down for the holidays, so there might be a haitus till the new year is over. Ill try to update often :) Poor Ji Hyo, getting bossed around for the entire day by meanie Kookie. Ill explain the King/lowborn thing in the next chapter most likely if you are confused. Next chapt: Ji Hyo gets hurt?