Chapter 28

Kings and Queens

A clatter of fallen plates echoed the chambers as a stunned King looked at his concubine with wide eyes. His mouth slowly fell agape, her words being processed through slowly. Normally, most people would be happy to hear about a pregnancy but for now, but parties could only feel dread. Ji Hyo reached out to touched his hand, concerned for his lack of reaction. 

"Your Majesty..." She called in a soft voice, peering at him with a raised brow. 

"No... No... You can't be pregnant..." Jong Kook said in denial, shaking his head vigorously. He took her hand into his, covering her small palm, holding it tightly. "We have never slept together." He reminded with a pleading smile, praying that this was all fake. 

Ji Hyo bit her lip, sliding her hand out of his grasps slowly. She turned away to look at the floor, not a word being said for they both already knew how this came to be. She released a tired sigh, closing her eyes slowly as a lone teardrop trickled down her cheekbones, reaching her chin slowly before dripping onto the skin of her hands. 

Jong Kook took a breath of air as the truth dawned on him, hitting him hard. "That bastard.... That bastard did this..." He muttered squeezing his eyes shut in frustration. "Because of him!" He raised his voice, making Ji Hyo glance over in fear, frightened by his fury. 

"My King!" She began, her voice clear and loud towards him. He looked over quietly, still muttering curses under his breath. "Please do not raise your voice..." She said, lowering her own voice into a soft whisper. "What's done is done... The baby is his.... and I..." She gulped anxiously, "And I am the mother." 

Jong Kook resisted the urge to yell and simply slammed his fists onto the table, causing JI Hyo to jolt back. He cursed inaudible sayings to himself before noticing Ji Hyo's pained look. She felt guilty for being pregnant and did not wish to have the baby but what could she do... Jong Kook also felt bad to be acting in such away instead of reassuring her. He released a heavy sigh and took her hand, pulling her towards him. Ji Hyo was taken aback slightly but moved closer with his gentle pull before falling into his embrace. Jong Kook wrapped his arms around her, patting her back gently as he positioned his head on her shoulder. 

"I am sorry... It was unfair of me..." Jong Kook whispered into her ear, moving his hand up to caress her head, her hair slowly. "But don't you worry... Wether this baby is mine or not.... We will raise him or her together..." Jong Kook finished, moving his other hand down to touch her belly, feeling a warmness from it. 

Ji Hyo smiled thankfully, grateful to have such an understanding man by her side. Burying her head in his shoulder, she let out a content sigh, preparing her self mentally for the future of this child. 


A day later...

A meeting was arranged in the bright noon of the day. The ministers hurriedly sat in their seats, anticipating the news to come from the meeting. Moments after they had settled down, the doors to the hall was drawn back and the regal figure stepped in. With his presence, the ministers bowed dutifully until the King had sat down on his throne did they straighten themselves. 

"Attention." The King began, booming his voice loudly for those present. "Today I have important news so listen well." He paused to glance over to the court stenographer, the person who had to write anything said down. Nodding to the man with a heavy breath, he turned back and let his gaze fall back onto the ministers. They all were looking at him, eyes glinting with curiousity from the little words he had already spoke, wanting every little detail. 

"As some of you may or may not know... Lady Song had been kidnapped a couple weeks ago. Thankfully, she had been found but she had gotten many scars and was abused. The man responsible is Kang Hee Gun, the most wanted murderer in this province. I am glad to say he has been captured and also has been interrogated." Jong Kook announced. He stopped for a moment as he prepared himself for the next bit of his speech, noticing the murmurs starting to erupt from the ministers. "Not only that. But during the interrogation, we have been given a vital peice of information about the mastermind behind the kidnapping. The person who dared to cause such harm to my concubine is... Her Majesty The Queen." Jong Kook stopped his sentence as the council hall was thrown into chaos.

The minister's murmurs grew into loud yells as they discussed the topic. Jong Kook raised his hand quickly, silencing them. "Silence! There is more I have to say...Please listen closely as I reveal the punishment for both Her Majesty and Kang Hee Gun." He spoke, narrowing his eyes and furrowing his brows. The ministers widened their eyes at his words. //PUNISHMENT?// They all seemed to have thought the same thing. 

"Kang Hee Gun. For abducting a royal figure and causing harm to not only her but the citizens. He has a record of 3 abductions, 5 murders and has been seen destroying multiple properties. For such acts and unforgivable behaviour, he will be executed." Jong Kook kept his glare strong and continued to speak. Talking about the topic they had been waiting for. "As for the Queen. For being the person behind all of this and also for having been responsible for the abductions of the two concubines from the Won Kingdom. She will be therefore be stripped off her title as a Queen and will not have any political rights in the palace whatsoever. She will be demoted to the rank of a concubine and lose her duties as a Queen." He finished his speech with a heavy sigh, allowing the ministers to break out in a heated discussion. 

"Your Majesty! Please reconsider!" shouted the Queen's supporting ministers in a desperate plea to keep her in her throne. But Jong Kook had his mind set and had no wish to change what he had already said. 

"My words are final." He said in a low voice. 

"Your Majesty! If Her Grace is no longer Queen... Who will be the next Queen?" Cried out a minister, having stated a question many ministers had in their minds. They all knew that the King only had 2 lovers, one being the Queen and the other being the concubine. If the queen was demoted, the only other option was the concubine but none of them wanted her to rule, even Jong Kook knew himself that they wouldnt allow it. 

"Your Majesty! Lady Song cannot rule this Kingdom! She was lucky to be promoted to a concubine but a Queen is too much with her lowborn blood!" called out someone in the corner of the room, reminding Jong Kook that Ji Hyo was not an option. 

"I know!" Jong Kook shouted back, clenching his fists around the armrest of the throne. "I know... Lady Song will not be promoted to the title of Queen. As of now, there will be no Queen." Jong Kook rubbed his temples as he felt a slight migraine eating into his brain, sending small waves of pain. 

Seeing his discomfort, the ministers agreed with nods and decided to let the King rest for now and will most likely bring this topic up on another date. 

"The meeting is over." Jong Kook said quickly, getting up and walking out, closing his eyes as the headaches grew worse. Feeling exhuasted, he returned to his chambers where he took a long nap, escaping the busy reality as a King. 


Ji Hyo was sitting in the gardens, having heard the news about the punishment for the Queen and the man. Kwang Kyu and Min Soo had informed her moments prior, both of them quite gleeful that JI Hyo has somewhat of a chance. 

Her attention was drawn away when a figure walked close to her. From the corner of her eyes she already sensed who it was and made an effort to stand up and bow. With a sly grin she looked back up at the person in front of her, feeling quite dominant. 

"Your Grace..." Ji Hyo greeted with a pleasant smile, the amount of joy she had knowing that the Queen would have to bow to her soon. 

"You... Dont act nice with me... " Kwang Ja spat, a strong glint in her eyes. She stood tall, much taller than Ji Hyo and remained her regal look as she looked down at her with a cold stare, not a single hint of a smile could be seen. 

"That is rather funny, Your Grace... Because soon enough you will have to be very nice to me." Ji Hyo smiled, stretching out her words with a melodic tune. She no longer felt a nagging fear in the presence of the Queen, gaining herself slight confidence. 

"How dare you speak to me that way!" Kwang Ja shouted, gripping the sides of her dress angrily. "I am the Queen!"

"For not much longer...." reminded Ji Hyo in a sing song voice. "When the day comes for Your Grace to be demoted... I will be sure to keep those memories of you abusing your power against me vivid in my mind. Oh and don't worry Your Grace, for the treament you receive will be the same as how you treated me, assuming you thought that you ttreated me very well." Ji Hyo finished, a sarcastic tone in his voice. 

"You...." Kwang Ja cursed, raising her hand over her head. With a quick motion she brought it down, aiming to strike Ji Hyo across the face but her hand was blocked mid air by the woman in front of her. A smirk stretched across Ji Hyo's lips as she succesfully blocked the strike, gripping the Queen's arm tightly, preventing her from moving. 

"Missed me." Ji Hyo sang, releasing the Queen's arm gently before turning away and walking off, a proud grin on her lips. 

All Kwang Ja could do was stare at her leave, a blank expression on her face which slowly turned into fury. 

But Ji Hyo was the opposite, having a joyious giggle with her attendants who praised her for her bravery and witty remarks. When night came, Ji Hyo tossed and turned in her blankets, unable to sleep, her mind flooded with thoughts. 

She laid on her back, staring up at the ceiling with a small smile. The smile slowly ebbed away when she brushed her hand against her stomach, noticing how much it had begun to bloat. Biting her lip she forced her eyes shut, keeping her hand on her stomach as she slowly left into her dreamscape.


New Chapt! Hope you like it! <3