Chapter 24

Kings and Queens

Two days had passed since the disapperance of the beloves concubine. The search was still going on, the King ordering them non stop. He was now standing outside his chambers, cleanches fists and tired eyes. Dark circles had formed around his puffy red eyes, caused by the nights he had gone by without sleep. He had sat in his chambers, weeping the long hours of the night, hoping for the morning to come with news of her. But as the day past, no words came back, making his hope disappear little by little. 


Outside, in the village's local tavern, sat two hunched figures, in deep discussion. On the table they sat on was a peice of paper that had a notice written on it. 

"Kwang Soo-yah. What is this?" The shorter man spoke, reading the words with a raised brow. 

"Hyung! The royal concubine is missing... His Majesty placed these notices everywhere..." Kwang Soo mumbled, peering over the paper to look at the man who was known as Dong Hoon. 

"Concubine... " Dong Hoon repeated in a soft voice as he turned away, thinking thoroughly. All of a sudden, he bolted to his feet, slamming his hand onto the table, causing Kwang Soo to jump in shock. 

"What the.." Kwang Soo blurted, almost swearing to the older man. The 15 year old stood up beside him with a questioning stare, wondering what had gotten into his mind. 

Dong Hoon whipped around and grabbed Kwang Soo by the collar, yanking him closely, staring at him with crazy eyes. "Kwang Soo! Remember that day we came to the tavern?" He asked in a harsh voice. Not letting Kwang Soo respond he spoke again. "Well. I overheard these two men talking about a kidnapped concubine... "

Kwang Soo gasped in response, trying to pry himself away from his clutches. "No way! Where did they go?!" He replied with wide eyes, finally pushing Dong Hoon's hands off him. 

"They must have...." Dong Hoon muttered, closing his eyes as he tried to recall the faint memory. "I got it! They said something about the e's house." 

"e house?" Kwang Soo gulpes, flushing a light pink at the thought of women. Dong Hoon noticed his dazed look and poked his head angrily.

"Not the time to be thinking of that, ." He cursed, grabbing the younger boy's arm and walking off hurriedly. 

They walked quickly, wasting no time in dodging the townsfolk. Finally the arrived at the location, a largely built house where men came to have a night of fun. The house was away from the chaotic village and stood isolated in the roads, prominent against the smaller huts. 

"Wait here. I will go check it out." Dong Hoon instructed, releasing the grip he had on the boy's arm and walking up hastily towards the entrance. Kwang Soo nodded glumly and stood outside, glancing about when in the corner of his eye, something caught his attention. 

Across the road from the large house was a smaller run down residence. The cobble fence around it had messily collapsed and its gates were ajar. Curious, Kwang Soo took careful steps towards it, gulping down the nervousness he felt. As soon as he neared the walls, he heard a hight pitch scream before the sound of someone being hit. The screaming slowly faded into a whimper, making Kwang Soo widened his eyes, running back to the large house anxiously. 

"HYUNG!" He cried out from the entrance, shaking from what he had discovered. Dong Hoon came running out quickly, stumbling down the steps.

"What?!" He muttered, brushing off the dust that had formed on his clothing.

"T..Th..e...C.Concubine!" He exclaimed in a whisper, frantically pointing to the residence across the street. Dong Hoon looked over and gasped in disbelief.

"Seriously?" He asked moving over ot look for himself. Kwang Soo shook his head but he had already walked over. With a nervous sigh, he followed the older man. 

Dong Hoon whipped around quickly after hearing the light screams. "To the palace. Now!" He whispered, furrowed brows and a determined stare. Kwang Soo nodded and they both ran off, sprinting faster than ever. 


The King was walking alongside the Queen in the midday heat. She had dragged him out for the walk even though he had preferred to stay in his chambers. She smirked as they walked along the gardens, looking over to see him in a deep frown. Her smirk disappeared as she became angered by his sorrow. //Why is he upset...// she thought, clenching her dress with her fingers. 

"My King... Why are you so upset?" She asked with a forced smile, stopping in her tracks and turning to face him. 

Jong Kook stopped walking and looked over to her with a grim look. "Apologies for my dark expression, My Queen... It has been a difficult time." He spoke, his voice soft. 

"Ah... Must be the government..." She smiled, hoping what she said was the true reason behind his frown. 

Jong Kook bit his lip in hesitation before looking away. The sound of frantic footsteps made him turn around to face two noblemen running towards him, with a line of guards chasing behind. 

He widened his eyes when they stopped before him, they equally shocked. It was the same men that had made him drink for a challenge. Behind them, the guards stopped and made a grab for them. 

"Apologies, Your Majesty... These two came running to see you without permission.." One of the guards spoke, dipping his head, 

"No... Release them. I know them" Jong Kook said, raising his hand towards the guards. They released them hesitantly, before turning away to head back to their posts. Once release, the two noblemen instantly dropped onto their knees, bowing towards Jong Kook. 

"Y..Your Majesty!" they cried out in unison. No where in their wildest dreams did they imagine that this man was actually the King. When they had met him a long time ago he had claimed to be the Crown Prince, they didnt think what he said was actually true. 

"It is you two... What is it?" Jong Kook asked quickly, glancing over to the Queen who was intrigued by the scene. 

"Your Majesty... We have news." The man Jong Kook recalled to be Dong Hoon spoke. Jong Kook looked at him with a raised brow before turning to the younger one, possibly Kwang Soo?

"Well... what is it?" Jong Kook repeated, tapping his foot impatiently. 

"We have located Her Ladyship..." Kwang Soo said quietly. 

Jong Kook froze, staring at Kwang Soo with wide eyes, his mouth slowly dropping open. "W...W..What?" he said softly, turning to the other in disbelief. 

"It is true.... We suspect she is in a residence opposite the prostitue house in the village." He spoke, using hand gestures to describe the location. 

Jong Kook barged past them and broke out into a run as he sprinted towards the stabled. Jae Suk saw him run off and followed quickly behind, glancing at the two men before disappearing down the path. Dong Hoon and Kwang Soo were left standing in awestruck, looking at the road with dazed eyes. 

"He... really was the King..." Kwang Soo mumbled. 

"If he is the King...That means the concubine..." Dong Hoon replied before shooting his eyes open in realization. "Ji Hyo could be the concubine!" 

Kwang Soo gasped at the thought, feeling as though the peices fitted together perfectly. With shocked looks, they hurriedly followed the trail of the King, wasting no time in running back towards the village. 

The only person who was not in shock but rather in anger was the Queen, who was left standing alone with gritted teeth. //WHAT?! She is not dead yet?!// She thought in rage, gripping her dress tightly to the point her knuckles turned pale. 


Jong Kook was already riding towards the location when Jae Suk caught up beside him, riding alongside. He looked over at his loyal guard who nodded at him before he refocused onto the road ahead. With narrowed eyes, Jong Kook was determined to catch the bastard, digging his heels into his horse, making it gallop faster. 

As soon as they neared the residence, Jong Kook swung off before his horse had even come to a stop. Wasting no time, he marched over to gates which was open but being so infuriated, he kicked it down anyways. No one could stop him right at this moment, a strong fire burning up inside of him. He marched up to the door, not bothering with the flimsy handle and breaking it down with his fist. He kicked his way through and was greeted with an empty hallway, leading to one lonely door. With a determined glare, he walked heavily to the door, barging straight through with his shoulder. The sigh before him shocked him. 

"Ji Hyo-ah!" He cried, walking over towards the hunched figure. She was barely recognizable with dishelveld hair and a pale face. Her lips were dried and chapped, a faded colour from the usual. Her head was hung weakly with her arms wrapped around the pillar behind her. Her entire body seemed abused. Jong Kook broke into tears as he knelt down beside her, touching her softly, afraid to hurt her.

When he touched her, she flinched, thinking it was the man but when she weakly looked up, another face greeted her. "Y....Y..Your Majesty.." she whispered weakly, her hair covering her face. With teary eyes, Jong Kook went behind the pillar and untied her quickly, ripping out the stubborn knots. Her arms fell to her side lifelessly, as though she never felt them . Jong Kook untied her ankles as well that limped to once side before returning to sit next to her.

He placed his palm against her cheek, brushing away the hair that covered her face. He let the silent tears roll down his cheeks. 

"Ji Hyo-ah.... How...How could someone do this ...." He muttered through his tears, holding out her arms that had rope marks imprinted all over. His tears dripped onto her skin, blaming himself for letting this happen to her. Ji Hyo looked at him weakly, her eyes drooping from the exhuastion. 

"Y..Your Majesty..." she uttered before falling limp against his body, collapsing her weight onto him. He grabbed onto her, pulling her into a tight embrace. 

"Ji Hyo-ah... I am sorry.... I am sorry for letting this happen." he wept, burying his face into her hair, his shoulders heaving from his sobs. Jae Suk stumbled into the room right after him with his sword drawn. 

"Your Majesty, I have ordered guards to come and you back. The criminal has been found loitering outside here and has been arrested and sent to the palace." He spoke quietly, bowing his head. He felt his own tears trickle down the side of his face at the sight. The beloved girl he had watched grown up, to be seen like this made his heart heavy.

Jong Kook's sobs slowly faded as the minutes flew by. He pulled off his red robes and covered her with it, wrapping it around her scarred body. Carrying her in his arms, he walked outside, being careful with each step. The more he looked at her pale face, the more his anger grew towards this bastard of a man. When he stepped outside of the gates, he mounted his horse, carefully placing her between his arms. Flicking the reins slightly, they slowly walked back to the palace with him keeping his gaze solely on her. 

The fear of losing her again had grew on him as he looked at her weak figure. How much he missed her could not be described with words for every inch of him was grateful to have found her. He took one hand of the straps and brushed it against her face, releasing a sigh. Bending down, he planted a soft kiss on her forehead, determined that from now till forever, she will never be taken from him.


Here is the 23rd chapter. Dong Hoon and Kwang Soo save the day! Ji Hyo is found! No more gruesome chapters! Hurrah! Again, I am going to apologize for the previous chapter as alot of people were uncomfortable with it. But I can promise you that that was the only chapter to be that way. 

Hope you guys didnt mind this chapter :)