Chapter 20

Kings and Queens

The sun was beginning to set behind the horizon as the moon equally rose, sending the sky into a mixture of pink and orange as everyone retired to their homes. 

Ji Hyo had just left her dressing room, spending a few long hours changing into her clothing and preparing her hair. As soon as she stepped out, everyone within her eyesight stopped and turned to look at her, in awe of her beauty. Even those that did not know her, stopped their talking or pacing and stole glances at her. She felt her cheeks flush a light pink as she dropped her eyes and looked over at the path that lead to the Imperial Palace. She assumed that she still had her job as the King's attendant for the time she does not have the decree so she took quick steps towards the palace, abit more careful than usual, afraid to ruin the silk wear. 

The guards that stood by the gates of the palace widened their eyes at her, unsure of who this new concubine was but nonetheless they dipped their heads and allowed her to pass through, hoping she wouldn't mind their rudeness. Ji Hyo walked past, not even realising they were meant to address her otherwise. As soon as she approached the steps leading to the study, the other attendants look up, jaws dropped. 

"OH MY GOODNESS!" they all seemed to cry out in unison as they stampeded towards her, gaping at her. They have never seen Ji Hyo so beautiful considering all they wore were simple clothing and when they saw her in the royal outfit, they were awestruck. Ji Hyo grinned at her friends, shyly touching her hair, their gazes strong on her features. 

"Aish.. Stop staring would you?" She mumbled, covering her face with both hands, embarrased by their stares. 

"How could we not stare? You are so... pretty." Called out a gaping Maeri as she touched Ji Hyo's silk sewened clothing. 

"Is it her that is pretty or the clothes?" Muttered Lady Jung who was paying more attention to Ji Hyo's face. "That's good. They didn't put a cake load of makeup on you."

Ji Hyo giggled at Jung's first comment, can't help but to agree that Maeri seemed more interested in the clothes rather than her. "Oh yea. They only put a simple lipstick, My Lady." She said, earning a couple odd stares from the others. "What?" she asked confused by their sudden changes in expression.

"Aigoo~ You shouldn't be calling me that. I am no longer your 'Lady'. We should be addressing you that, My Lady." Jung said with a gentle smile as she bowed towards Ji Hyo. 

Ji Hyo widened her eyes at her actions, immediately pulling her upright, shaking her head profusely. "No! Don't do that, Lady Jung." She scolded with a soft voice.

"If we don't do it, it is considered an act of direspect." reminded one of the attendants as they looked at each other with agreeing nods before turning to Ji Hyo and bowing towards her. "My Lady~" They called out, making Ji Hyo feel queasy from the sudden respect she was getting.

"Ooh~ This is weird. I don't like it one bit." She mumbled as they rose, smiling before their eyes suddenly wandered behind her and they bowed once more before adverting their gazes elsewhere. Ji Hyo raised a brow at the sudden mood change, "Why are you all bowing again? I told you not to do it." She said scratching at her neck, thinking it was abit odd.

"You do not enjoy being a concubine of mine?" Whispered a voice from behind, it was him. His breath was against her neck, sending chills down her spine as she stood frozen on the spot. A muscular hand s around her waist, making goosebumps stretch across her arm, luckily the sleeves were long enough to cover them. 

"Ah... Your Majesty.." She responded with a soft voice, tilting her head slightly to the side to see abit of his face come to view. "It is not like that..." She added, turning away to look at his hand that had wrapped around her stomach. 

"Really? I heard you say you don't like it one, bit~." He spoke, leaning closer and nipping her ear with the last word, making her jolt. 

Ji Hyo leaned forward, away from his deadly lips, feeling her cheeks turn hot from the close contact. She pried away from his grasp and moved so that she stood facing him, placing her hand in his large palm. "Aigoo~ If you do things like that, my words will be true." She sighed with a smirk, looking up at him.

He was quite saddened with her moving out of his embrace but thankfully she didnt let go of his hand. With a smile he chuckled at her statement. "Understood, my love." He paused and looked at her up and down, taking in her different apperance with a grin. "I must add, you look stunning in this attire." He added as he let his eyes move up, lingering abit on the tight vest that made her chest more defined before finally falling back onto her gaze.

She had caught him in the act of looking at her torso and covered it defensively with her other arm, narrowing her eyes at him. "Look at you! Staring like a ert, Your Majesty." She accused, turning away from him with a disgusted look.

Jong Kook raised his brows at her comment and shook his head. "No no! I was not staring! I was... " He took a moment to think of a word that would phrase it the right way. "Admiring!" He finished.

"Admiring? If that is the look that people give when they 'admire' something. I must be admired by many men!" Ji Hyo scoffed, pulling her hand out of his hold to fold it grumpily across her chest. 

"Yah! Who are these men? How dare they? Do you know them? Was it in the palace?" Jong Kook blabbered out, instant jealously taking hold of him. 

Noticing his act of jealously, Ji Hyo let out a laugh. "You are adorable when you are jealous, Your Majesty." She smiled, wiping away the small tears that had formed in the corner of her eyes from laughing. 

Jong Kook frowned at her and stomped his feet with annoyance. "Hmph! Was not!" He muttered looking away towards the rising moon.

"Yes you were, Your Majesty!" She laughed, covering with hand, muffling her laughter. Jong Kook shot her a grumpy glare before looking away again. Seeing him upset, she stopped laughing but still smiled as she took a step closer towards him. "Looks like you are mad now.. " She spoke in a soft voice, still having a smile on her lips.

"Very." He said with a huff, adverting his eyes away from her even though it was difficult not to look at her big brown eyes. 

"Sorry~" She called in a squeaky voice, pouting her lips and puffing out her cheeks. She craned her neck up at him, widening her eyes, trying to make him look at her.

Her voice made his heart squeeze from the cuteness, making him take a glance at her, almost melting from her adorable look. With a sigh he turned to face her, giving in to her cute strategy. "I really can't stay mad at you." He muttered, sweeping stray strands of hair away from her face, tucking it behind her ear. Ji Hyo grinned at him, her eyes sparkling as they formed into little crescents from smiling. She wrapped her arms around him, clinging onto his chest as she buried her face against it. He was shocked by her sudden embrace but repsonded by slowly wrapping his arms around her back as well, it gently. Releasing a content sigh, she pulled away to look up at him before looking up at the sky, not even realising how late it was. 

"You better return to your chambers..." He said in a soft voice, her hair absent mindly. 

"Or I could stay in yours..." She replied rather quickly, giving him a seductive stare as she drew close to him, pressing her body closely against his. He widened his eyes at her words, suddenly feeling her warm body against his, how she could make his cheeks red so easily. 

"Of Course!" He responded without hesistation, looking at her seductive eyes, gulping nervously. 

Breaking into a smile, Ji Hyo giggled, "Just Kidding! Goodnight, Your Majesty!" She called out, stepping away from him, bowing and skipping towards the exit.

"Yah! You-!" Before Jong Kook could say anything, she had left the palace, leaving him standing there, frustrated. He scowled and muttered under his breath as he made his way into his study, feeling frustrated by her. //Aish... She really is something... Leaving me there like that after saying such things..// He thought to himself, as the only thoughts that occupied his mind was her. He shook his head, forcing himself to erase the fantasies before returning his focus on his work. 

As for Ji Hyo, she had returned to her temporary chambers, much bigger than the sleeping quarters. Although she orginally wished to stay there with her friends but was informed not to. She tucked herself under her blankets that were much thicker and comfier than the ones she previously had, snuggling into a ball as she closed her eyes and slept.


2 Days Later...

A loud chime echoed throughout the hall as a small crowd stood in lines, waiting for the procession to begin. The large oak gates drew open and Ji Hyo stepped inside, causing everyone to bow in unison. She was dressed in her concubine attire, only difference being her hair which had a large oversized accessory on it, weighing her down. She gracefully walked to the front, needing two attendants to assist her in kneeling before a sitting figure. 

She knelt down with a bit of struggle, bowing deeply towards the figure, her forehead touching the ground, as she sat back up she greeted in a clear voice, "Your Royal Majesty the Queen." 

The Queen sat upon her throne, glaring down at the bowed figure, raising her chin in authority. With a cold stare she kept it locked on her as a minister appeared from the side, holding a tray with a scroll upon it. It was her cue to rise from her seat, causing the rest of the onlookers to bow as she took the scroll from the tray. Turning to face the kneeling girl, she cleared her voice and spoke. 

"Greetings to all of you who are present today for this..." She paused and fixated her icy stare at the girl. "Joyious. Occasion." She said with a break between the words, forcing a smile on her blood red lips. "I, The Queen of this nation." She introduced, emphasing her title loudly. "Am here today to bestow... Song Ji Hyo...A once poor servant maid." The Queen gave a look of pity towards the new concubine, clear sarcasm in her stare before looking towards the crowd once more. "This decree. From this day onwards, she would no longer serve as a slave but be given duties as His Majesty's concubine. Please bow as she accepts this decree to ceritfy her bind between His Majesty and herself." She finished, moving in front of the knelt girl, her faked smile instantly disappearing into a thin line. She held out the scroll towards her, gritting her teeth. 

Ji Hyo bowed and reached for the scroll, but realising the strong grip the Queen had on it. Looking up, she noticed her dominating expression and returned it with a overhappy smile as she tensed her muscles and yanked the scroll away. She grinned, a huge toothy smile as she bowed once more, knowing she had shown this Queen that she was unaffected by her threatening demeanour. The onlookers cheered for her, as she stood up and parted away from the infuriated Queen who could potetially kill her there and then if it weren't for all the people. 

Thus the day went well and Ji Hyo officially became the King's concubine. 


Ji Hyo was sitting in her new chambers, looking around the spacious room she had occupied. It was a big room for one person, with all the drawers in the side. In front of the entrance she had a rice paper curtain so that she could see the person's shadow before seeing their faces. Her desk was a burgundy polished wood with the legs carves with a delicate pattern. Behind her cushion which she sat on was a huge painting that stretched out to either side of the wall, a painting of a crane that was painted so that it looked like it flew towards the corner of the wall. 

She was sitted behind her desk, reading on a political book when she heard her doors drew open. Turning her head she saw two shadows before they moved into view and there stood General Ji with a person she has never seen before.

"My Lady." Greeted the General, dipping his head as he sat down in front of her, indicating for the man to do the same. He bowed and greeted her and sat beside the General, a smile on his lips.

"Afternoon, General Ji." Ji Hyo said, still not accustomed to dropping the formalities. She noticed his sudden stare and remembered her mistake. "Ah.. I mean.. Afternoon." She corrected with a embarrassed smile, scratching her head. "How may I help you... and you, today?" She asked looking at the General at first but then focusing her gaze on the stranger.

"Sorry to bother you My Lady. But since you are offically a concubine, we had to employ a personal guard and attendants for you. Him right here is your new guard. Introduce yourself, boy." General Ji explained. Once he finished he prodded the younger man next to him with his arm.

The man seemed like he had snapped out of a daze when he was prodded and was rather flustered. "Ah... Greetings My Lady." He bagn in a quiet voice, bowing his head to avoid her gaze. He did find the concubine rather pretty, heck! She was stunning and during that moment the General and her were talking, he was shamlessly eyeing her. 

"Pleasure to meet you." Ji Hyo smiled, not wanting her new guard to feel uncomfortable around her. "What is your name, may I ask?" She questioned. 

"My name is Lee Dong Wook..." He said in a soft voice, looking up to make eye contact with her. Clearing his throat he gulped nervously and continued. "I will be serving Your Ladyship as your guard. Please do not hesitate to beckon me at any time of the day. I have pledged to protect Your Ladyship." He announced with a slightly louder voice, although he had to bit his tongue when trying to refrain himself to say that she could beckon him whenever and he would come running like a wild dog just to see her. 

"Pleasure to meet you... You don't mind me addressing you as Dong Wook do you?" Ji Hyo asked, quite amused by his flustered behaviour.

"Of course not, My Lady. Feel free to address me however you'd like." He said quickly.

"Well then Dong Wook. I appreciate your efforts in taking the duty as my guard. Please take care of me well." She said with a smile, subconsciously dipping her head towards him as well. General Ji snicked at her politeness but didnt say anything else. Bowing towards her, they both greeted farewell and left her chambers. The General had already left the gates leading to the chambers and Dong Wook was stationed outside the chamber doors, pacing around as he looked around the area. He felt extremely honoured ot be serving a royal concubine and was determined in serving her loyally, making sure that no one could harm her was his first priority.


In The Queen's Palace... 

Kwang Ja was sitting behind her desk, her fingers curled into a fist while she waited impatiently for the man to arrive. Finally after waiting for a long while, the doors were pulled open and a dark clothed man stepped in. He wore a woven hat that covered his features only showing the cunning smile he had. Bowing slightly , he sat himself across the queen.

"Finally you arrived." The Queen muttered.

"Apologies... I needed to get some air." 

"Doesn't matter. I need you to do something for me."

"What is it?"

"I need you to get rid of this girl."

"Mind if I take her? Make my nights... less lonely." 

"Do what you wish with her. Just gid rid of her."

"I got it. Now tell me her name, that is all I need."

"Song Ji Hyo. King's concubine."

"Another concubine? This is the 3rd one you told me to rid."

"Not my fault the past two were dangerous."

"Is this one dangerous?"

"Very. To me at least."

"What will I get in return?"

"A house. In the richest province."

"I don't need a house."

"Fine. Money."

"Sounds good."

"There. Deal is settled. You get rid of her and you will get your money. If you fail. I will get rid of you"

"No can do. I am the nation's best murderer. Failure isn't in my vocabulary."

"Whatever. Mind reminding me your name again? I always forget."

"Sure... You are quite old so I don't blame you for forgetting."

The man, shifted his hat, letting his eyes glance up to meet the Queen's, a smirk across his lips.

"The name is Kang Hee Gun." 


Oh My Goodness! Chapter 20 already! Wow!! I decided to end chapter 20 with a bang! Hope you guys liked this chapter considering it is wayy more than I usually write. Hehe writing has become abit easier since I planned out the chapters more carefully now. Haha! Now there are 2 more new characters.

Thanks for all the subs and votes guys! I really appreciate it! I also love reding your comments, they really get me motivated to write :D 

Here is a question for you guys! Feel free to comment your answers!

Which Bromance do you ship in Running man?

My Answer: I love our Giraffe x Tiger bromance. They are too funny together. HaHa and Gary rivalry is also entertaining to watch nowadays.