Chapter 3

Kings and Queens

A warm morning's sun peered into the small huts of the families, wakening them up with a gentle breeze. As everyone slowly awoke, they all had rose except for a snoring young girl. 

"Eomeoni! Its Ji Hyo's birthday!" Dong Hoon said to his mother excitedly, tugging at her dress. His mother yawned and rubbed his head roughly, before holding his hand and walking over to the Song's residence. 

"Dong Hoon-Ah.. Calm down dear." His mother said, looking at her restless child, pulling him to her side while making their way to the hut.

"Kwang Soo! Kwang Soo! Aish... This brat is unpleasant to look at in the morning.." Dong Hoon had ran to the Lee's hut but slowly retreated after seeing Kwang Soo's face as though he had seen a monster.

"Hyungnim! Its Ji Hyo's birthday!" Kwang Soo mumbled with a blank face, rubbing his eyes tiredly. His parents came out to join Dong Hoon's mother, chatting about how time has passed and how Ji Hyo has grown. 

"I already know that." Dong Hoon replied with an annoyed voice. Without anymore words, he grabbed Kwang Soo by the arm and ran to the Song's hut. 

Meanwhile..

"Aigoo~ She is still sleeping."

"Don't wake her..."

"But I wanna pick her up and hug her."

"Don't."

Ji Hyo's mother gave her husband a warning look, before picking up her woven sack that sat by the entrance, slinging it across her body. "I will be back later alright?" She informed, stepping out into a hazy morning. She stretched herself out, cracking her spine with a content sigh. Satisfied with her warming up, Ji Hyo's mother began her hike up the mountain. 

Her father was impatient and began making small noises in hopes of waking her up. He randomly would begin dropping bowls and utensils, quickly glancing to see if his daughter was awake. But Ji Hyo snoozed on, unaffected by the noise. Finally, he resorted to tapping Ji Hyo on the shoulder which made her grumble, blinking an eye open to see her father smiling at her. 

"Abeoji... What are you do-" Before young Ji Hyo could finish her words, she was swept out of her blankets and pulled into a big bear hug. "Aii... Abeoji~" She whined, rubbing her eyes.

"Aigoo~ My little princess is now 11!" Her father exclaimed, lifting her slightly and swinging side to side slowly. "Ah ah... My back" he groaned, putting her down to massage his bent spine. 

"Abeoji.. You shouldn't carry me like that. I weight like a horse!" Ji Hyo said, beating her father's back gently. Her words made him laugh, which in turn made her laugh too. 

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY JI HYO!!" Shouted a crowd from outside. Ji Hyo turned her head to see her neighbours waving at her from outside. She grinned and ran out, earning herself hugs and kisses from all of them. 

"Thank you Ahjussi and Ahjumma-ssi" She said bowing gratefully to these wonderful people. 

"Here Ji Hyo-ssi" Dong Hoon's mother placed a box in Ji Hyo's hands. Ji Hyo gazed at her with a shocked face, baffled that they would even think about giving her something. She lifted the lid of the box and was delighted at what she saw. Ricecakes!

"Aigoo, she is so happy when she sees food." Dong Hoon commented, shaking his head. 

"Ji Hyo-ssi. We too have something." Ji Hyo turned to face Kwang Soo;s parents who gave her a ribbon for her hair. "Do you like it?" they asked knowing that what they give wasn't worth much.

Ji Hyo looked at the gifts she had received and smiled widely. "Ani... I love it!" she exclaimed. 

Soon everyone began celebrating the joyous occasion, dancing, laughing and Ji Hyo had even shared her rice cakes, making sure to save one for her mother. The sun was beginning to set when her mother returned but something was odd...

A crash was heard when a bowl was dropped, shattering into thousand peices. "EOMEONI!" screamed Ji Hyo running to her mother's side. 

Ji Hyo's mother was covered in blood, she was gripping her chest, where there was a huge patch of the dark liquid had formed. Her face was pale and sweaty, her eyes half closed. As soon as Ji Hyo held her, she collapsed in a heap, falling against her daughter. With heavy breaths, she spoke in a queit voice. "Ji Hyo-ah....."

Her husband had rushed over, wide eyed and frantic, pulling her closely to his arms. "Who did this!" he said holding her hand tightly. "WHAT HEARTLESS SOUL DID THIS!" He roared, tears starting to form. Ji Hyo stared at her mother, unable to process the situation. All she could do was whisper "Eomeoni." over and over, hoping the more she said it the more chances of her living. 

"My...,Dear..... Dont.... Be..... Mad...." Ji Hyo's mother managed to utter out, gasping for breath between each word. She looked at her daughter and with a weak smile she spoke. "Happy.... Birthday.... Ji Hyo-ah......." With that, her eyes rolled back, her body going limp. Her hand slipped from her husbands hold, landing on the ground softly. 

Ji Hyo finally clicked, she burst out into tears, feeling the same anger her father had felt. "EOMEONI!" She cried shaking her mother's hand, holding her cold fingers. "Eomeoni! You can't sleep. Please wake up..." she whimpered leaning against her limp body. The other families stood motionless, shocked by the scene. 

Ji Hyo was laying against her mother when she noticed the wound. It was a small hole that was deep enough to cause an internal bleeding, likely by an arrow. Her mother must have pulled it out but had left the arrowhead still in. With trembling hands, Ji Hyo examined the arrowhead, looking at her father for answers. Her father sat with closed eyes, opening them ever so slightly to see what his daughter was looking at. 

The steel plated arrowhead was engraved with a symbol that could be barely seen. After seeing the symbol, he scoffed in anger. "Darn those damn hunters." He swore under his breath. Knowing that his wife was killed mistakenly made him even angrier. What kind of fool would shoot someone thinking they were prey? Well considering that Royal Hunters did such things proved his point that Royals were fools themselves. 

So the night passed, each and every one of them mourning and greiving the loss of a friend, a wife and a mother. Unlike most of them who had retreated ot their homes to sleep, Ji Hyo laid beside her mother the whole night, crying silently. 

"Ji Hyo-ah...." Her father looked at her sadly. He had wanted to tell her to go inside but seeing her emotional state, it was best not to. Instead he sat against their hut, pulling Ji Hyo into his arms. She had fallen asleep soundly, her breathing quick and uneven. He looked at his daughter's tear stained face and soothed her trembling by patting her gently. 

Night fell and morning came, making the three families wake with sorrow. They didnt speak their greetings and silently began the burial. Ji Hyo sat watching the whole process, too tired and too sorrowed to do anything. By midday, the grave was built and each and every one of the families paid respects and said prayers. Ji Hyo took slow steps towards the grave, kneeling down in front of it, lowering her head. She sent a prayer, one she hoped to be answered, // Eomeoni... I pray you a good life up there. I pray that you can live a life of riches and no worries.// Ji Hyo paused to wipe away her tears. //And... I pray that you won't ever forget me and Abeoji...Sleep well Eomeoni...// She ended her prayers, with a gaze to the sky before bowing once more at the grave and moving away. 

There was nothing more they could do other than continue their lives, knowing that a loved one is gone forever. 

 


Well... This chapter turned out shorter than I imagined. >.< . Poor Ji Hyo, losing her mother on her birthday.. Mmm this may seemed a bit rushed considering it is only the 3rd chapter but the main storyhadnt even begun so I need to get to the point quick. Next chapt is all about Jong Kook in his palace and I promise to attempt making it happier than this one :)