Chapter 7

Kings and Queens

A blissful gust of wind weaved through Ji Hyo's hair as she stood, waiting to be transported to her new occupation. On the previous day, she had cleaned the whole night and had spoken to the kind Ahjussi who seemed abit shock about her promotion but who wouldnt be? From a child suffering in poverty, to a sold slave and finally after all these years, she was a palace attendant! The thought made Ji Hyo release a content sigh.

She looked down at the new garments she wore, much different to the plain white dress she had to wear in the kitchen, her garments now were much more colorful. Her skirt was a navy blue colour and her inner wear was creamish/offwhite.  The vest she wore was a bright cobalt blue, matched with a maroon ribbon. Her hair was neatly braided and tied with a red ribbon which was a must for palace attendants. Looking at her outfit she couldnt help but smile, smoothening out any wrinkles that had formed.

"Ji Hyo-ssi." Greeted General Ji, marching over to her. 

Ji Hyo turned towards him and bowed, looking up with a warm smile. "Ready to go, sir." She chimed cheerfuly. The General scoffed at her childishness and turned away, walking towards the East Palace. Ji Hyo followed him from behind, her hands folded in front of her as she kept her head down while she walked.

They arrived at the East Palace where General Ji pushes open the gates leading to the main chambers. Ji Hyo gaped in amazement at the large scale of the palace, admiring its framework."Wow.." was all she could say from the sight. The General couldnt help but chuckle at her, "This way Ji Hyo-ssi." He said walking over to the waiting palace attendants that stood with their heads dipped slightly. 

"Ahem. Ladies, this is Song Ji Hyo-ssi, she will be joining you all as an attendant for the Crown Prince." The General said in a loud voice, loud enough for all the attendants to hear. They looked at Ji Hyo, some merely glances while some greeted her with a smile. Ji Hyo returned smiles and bowed to them all "Nice to meet you all." She greeted. A lady who was dressed in a dark green robe stepped forward, her hair wasn't braided but in a bun, showing that she was a married woman. 

"Pleasure to meet you Ji Hyo-ssi, I am Lady Jung, the head of the Crown Prince's attendants, if you have any issues, do address me." Jung said with a smile. Ji Hyo bowed deeply and nodded simply. 

"Ji Hyo-ssi?" A soft voice called as a face she had known before came close. 

"Maeri-ssi?" Ji Hyo asked shocked to see her old acquaintance. She bowed to her and asked in disbelief, "You are an attendant for His highness?" 

"Yes I am." Maeri responded, happy to see the slave she had known previously make her way up in the palace in ranks. 

For a long while, the General, Lady Jung, Maeri and Ji Hyo were happily chatting when someone caught Ji Hyo's attention. She separated from her new friends which made them look at where she was heading to. Ji Hyo dashed down the stairs and ran up to to a man who was returning from late meetings with the King. 

"Ahjussi! Look at me!" Ji Hyo bowed to the man before twirling in a circle, making her dress fan out. She smiled happily, looking up at him, "I am an attendant now! For the Prince!" She gleamed, pure bliss clear in her face.

The man who was obviously the Prince on the other hand was looking rather panicked. "Ah... Ji Hyo-ssi, it suits you." He said, scratching his head slightly, glancing at the General who had heard her.

"You wretched girl! Greet His Highness properly!" The General shouted, his eyes narrowed.

Ji Hyo looked at him with a confused look. "His Highness? Where?" She asked, standing on her tip toes, trying to spot the Prince. 

The General scoffed while Jong Kook awkwardly stood, scratching his head. "Are you mocking His Highness?!" He shouted again thinking that the girl would understand by now and give up on her joke. But she stared blankly at him, baffled at his words. Ji Hyo turned to Jong Kook and tilted her head, "Ahjussi... Do you know what he is talking about?" She asked glancing at the General who was fuming at her disobedience. 

"Ah... Ji Hyo-ssi... Well... That's what I have been trying to say..." He mumbled, avoiding her eye contact because he felt awkward. "I am Kim Jong Kook... Son to His Majesty The King and Crown Prince of the nation." He said slowly, looking back at her to see her reaction.

Ji Hyo looked at him, at a loss for words, her mind taking his speech in. Her face went pale, eyes wide in shock like they were about to pop out. Her lips quivered as they suddenly felt so dry. Her body was all of a sudden weak and trembling, the realization hitting her strongly. "Y..You..Your..His H..Highness.." She stuttered, lowering herself slowly. 

She collapsed onto her knees, pressing her hands against the ground and lowering her head as well. "Y..Yo.Your Royal Highness! I have failed to recognized you... " She stuttered out, sweat forming on her forhead. "Please punish me with death." She stated, keeping her gaze strongly on the floor. //Oh my goodness... Song Ji Hyo! You are an idiot! How could you be so blind! You are surely finished for! Will it be poison or beheading?// She mentally scolded herself, preparing for a deathly punishment. She waited for an outburst of rage from the Prince but it didnt happen as a soft chuckle was released instead.

"Death? Don't be ridiculous. Stand up now." Jong Kook said, amused that she would even give up her life for such a small matter. 

"Your Highness, would you like me to take her down to the prison yard for a beating?" General Ji said with a smirk, glancing at the girl. 

Ji Hyo braced herself to be dragged away but nothing happened other than the speaking of the two.

"No need for that General Ji. You are dismissed as of now." The Prince said, waving away the General who reluctantly had to follow and scurried off to the his office. Jong Kook turned his attention to the girl who still was bowed to the ground. He sighed and said with a soft voice. "Stand up." Ji Hyo didnt move and remained on the floor. "Stand up now! It is an order!" He commanded in a loud voice. 

Ji Hyo gulped and slowly rose to her feet, keeping her head down, avoiding his gaze. Her heart thumped nervously as she stared at her feet, which were slightly numb. 

The Prince gave a sly smirk when she finally stood but she didnt meet his gaze, making him chuckle even more. "Ji Hyo-ssi, you are going to have to meet my gaze if you are going to be my attendant." He mused, trying to peep underneath to make her look at him but everytime he tried, she would glance away or turn her head slightly. He didnt like her silentless compared to her previously when she didnt know his identity clearly. "Maybe I should make the floor the Prince considering how much you like looking at it." He sighed. His statment made Ji Hyo flinch and while biting her lip, she raised her head slowly. She flicked a glance at his eyes but quickly stared elsewhere. //At least her head was up.// Jong Kook thought.

He could clearly see her discomfort and for the sake of her sanity he dismissed her "Alright Ji Hyo-ssi, you are dismissed. " He said watching her bow deeply before rushing away to join the others. He found her amusing, seeing her personality change so suddenly. He cleared his throat and made his way to his chambers, sneaking a glance at the bashful attendant before shutting the door behind him. 


"Wow Ji Hyo-ssi, I didnt think he would release you so easily." Maeri said between bites of an eggroll. They were having their dinner in the late evening. Due to the fact there were 12 attendants, only 6 could eat at a time while the other half had to attend to His Highness. Lady Jung, Maeri and Ji Hyo had become close after a short period of time, making them seem like they knew each other since young. 

"I didnt think he would too Unnie." Ji Hyo mumbled through a mouthfull of rice. She had already dropped her formalities with Maeri seeing they weren't too many years apart. 

"That Prince is normally cold to all of us. If we dared to do something like that..." Maeri made an action of slicing her neck with her thumb before continuing to eat her eggroll. 

"Maeri is right. It is unlike him to dismiss such a matter so easily." Lady Jung added casually, sipping on some tea having finished her meal.

"Don't tell me he has already favoured you Ji Hyo-ssi." Maeri whined, her cheeks stuffed with rice. 

Ji Hyo choked on her statement, quickly reaching for water which she gulped down quickly. "I have disrespected him so much. He would be crazy to favour a disrepectful wench like me." Ji Hyo mumbled.

Lady Jung glanced up "Watch your words.." She warned, thankfully no one was in earshot to hear. "But I could see him favouring you... I mean look at the rest of the attendants... Soo....damn...." She paused to take a sip of her tea before finishing with a dull voice, "ugly."

This made Maeri shout angrily. "Ugly?! Lady Jung! How dare you inderectly call me ugly! I am a goddess! I am beautiful! You don't look any better if you call us ugly!" She fussed, crossing her arms, annoyed by her words. 

Lady Jung rolled her eyes and turned to Maeri. "Yea yea, you are better looking than all of those attendants but how could he favour you when you act like a man all the time?" She scowled, taking another sip of her tea. "Look at you! No woman sits like that!" Jung said in an irritated tone. Well she was right about the way Maeri was sitting with her legs propped up and wide open. "Close them!" Jung smacked Maeri's leg which made her yelp.

Maeri grumbled in annoyance, pressing her legs together and folding them behind her. With a mouth full of rice, Ji Hyo couldnt help but laugh at the scene.

"See My Lady! Ji Hyo isnt ladylike either!" Maeri said looking at Ji Hyo accusingly. 

"Yea but her looks can save her." Jung commented sharply making Ji Hyo chuckle. 

Maeri was unsatisfied with Jung's comments, gulping down a large amount of water before letting out a long awaited burp.

"Oh my god. MAERI!" Jung yelled, fanning the air in front of her. 

And so, the dinner ended with Jung and Maeri bickering once more with newcomer Ji Hyo laughing uncontrollably on the sidelines. 


Woohoo! Finished another chapter! Omg i love writing Jung and Maeri, they are like the non serious goofballs. Omo~ Jong kook's title is revealed and Ji Hyo is acting differently around him now. Next chapt: Ji Hyo stops being so awkward with the Prince?