Chapter 29

Kings and Queens

Days continued to move forward for everyone in the nation. The seasons becoming colder as the months grew into the snowy terrain of winter. Food production became slower and people were encouraged to save what they can to help them through the season. In the palace, there had been announcements that brought both happiness and sadness to different people, one of them being the demotion of the Queen.

When it was announced, many of the attendants were overjoyed, thankful they no longer need to provide their services to the cold hearted queen. While the servants were joyful, the ministers were not. The ministers who had supported the Queen ever since she ascended the throne were in havoc, begging for the King to reconsider. But what was done was done and nothing could change it. 

As well as the news of the dethroned Queen, many had already come to notice Lady Song's swelling stomach and had suspiscions about her. They assumed she was pregnant but there had been no news from the King or herself yet so they had to wait to see, even though anyone who had eyes could tell she was pregnant. 


Ji Hyo had sat herself in her chambers, leaning against her cushion and reading a book. It was a book about the political warfare in the nation and she found it quite interesting to read about the opposing sides. 

"Funny how people can harm so much because of greed." She muttered to herself, turning over the pages, her eyes moving across as she scanned the words. It has been 2 months since she found out about her pregnancy and thinks became abit troublesome for her. For starters, she tried to conceal her swollen belly from the wandering eyes of the ministers, not wishing to hear a rumour. But as time passed, concealing became harder and difficult which resulted in her having to stay in her chambers more often than not. Another thing was that even though people knew she is having a baby, they didnt know whom the father was and that was something she could never reveal, ever. 

Her reading was cut short when the doors to her chambers were pulled back. The rice paper curtain that was normally in front of her door was thrown out after the past incident. Now she could immediately see who entered without a fear of it being an intruder. Walking into her chambers was her beloved King, a smile on his lips as he sat down across from her. 

Ji Hyo returned his smile and dipped her head towards him, lowering her book onto the table, carefully bookmarking it with a spare ribbon. Focusing her attention back on the King she spoke in a soft voice, "My King... How may I assist you today?" 

Jong Kook chuckled at her question, making Ji Hyo raise a brow. "I came here to see you, Ji Hyo-ah..." Jong Kook mentioned with slightly pink cheeks, leaning forward to prop his elbows onto the table and cupping his own face in his hands. "My pretty Ji Hyo." He smiled, his eyes forming into tiny crescents. 

Ji Hyo blushed at his words, looking away shyly as she brushed the tip of her nose with her hand. "How corny..." She smirked, turning back to prop her elbows on the desk as well, cupping her face like how Jong Kook did. There was a moment of silence where they both stared contently into each other's eyes, a smile prominent on their faces.

"You seem to look even better day by day... So handsome." Ji Hyo mused, expressing her thoughts outloud. 

Much to Jong Kook's delight he puffed up his chest and tensed his neck, making his jawline pop. "Really?" He asked, showing off his sharp jawline and brushing the hair that stuck out from his hat. 

Ji Hyo giggled and leaned forward to peck his lips, her lips holding on for a moment before releasing with a 'pop'. Jong Kook smiled, his stomach being filled with butterflies. No matter how many days or months or even years passed, he still fluttered each time he was with her. That goes the same for Ji Hyo who always turned a light shade of pink when with him. 

"I don't mean to bring this topic up, Ji Hyo-ah... But how is the baby?" Jong Kook asked carefully, his smile slowly turning into a thin line. Ji Hyo also lost her cheery grin and cleared , pulling away from him to lean against her cushion comfortably. 

"The baby?" She repeated, looking away as though in deep thought for this topic was a sensitive one for her now. "It is how it is... In my stomach." She mused, mustering a smile.

"Ji Hyo-ah...." Jong Kook called quietly, reaching out to envelope her hand in his, giving it a small squeeze as he looked at her fondly. Not breaking any eye contact he spoke in a soft voice. "Do you wish to abort it?" 

Ji Hyo widened her eyes at his question for this was never thought of as an option for her. Her fingers had turned cold and trembled slightly causing Jong Kook to hold it tighter. 

"The physician can brew up this tonic... It will overdose the baby therefore causing it to pass...But nothing will happen to you." Jong Kook explained, gently reaching his other arm up to brush away a lone strand of hair from her face. 

Ji Hyo seemed to be blanked out at this point, nothing he said was being processed. //Abort? Baby?// Her mind was muddled and not functioning the way it should be just because of what he had said. Finally after a long moment of neither of them saying anything, she spoke in a croaky voice. "A..Ab..Aborting the baby...." Her voice was raspy, the sudden dryness of making it hard to speak. "I will do it..." She finished, her voice barely turning into a whisper.   

Jong Kook also seemed taken aback by her willingness but remained his calmed demeanour, her hand. "I understand... I will inform the physician in private.." He said, mentally taking note of it. "Don't worry, My Dear... All will be well..." He reassured. 

Ji Hyo bit her lip anxiously, adverting her stare to look at her hands, a face full of guilt. "I feel sorry... Sorry towards this child I will never have.." She murmued, her belly carefully, closing her eyes as she exhaled a breath of air. "I am sorry my baby... Please forgive me and your father for doing this... Girl or boy we love you very much my child...Rest well my dear." Ji Hyo whispered, tears rolling down as she squeezed her eyes tightly closed,  her hand resting on her belly. 

Jong Kook watched her with the same sorrow, reaching out to place his won hand atop of her belly, looking at it with raised brows. "That is right... Although I may not be your true father... I will still love you, my baby." He spoke, moving his gaze up towards Ji Hyo who had uncontrollable tears and quivering lips. He moved his hand up and away the tears on her cheeks, making a soft hushing sound as he wiped her face. 

Ji Hyo calmed down, slipping her hands out of his grasps and burying her face in her palms, covering her guilt ridden expression. Jong Kook sighed and leaned back, rubbing his temples painfully, massaging the throbbing sensations on his head. Both of them were not in the right state of mind and hopefully, by doing this, things might clear up.