Chapter 6

Kings and Queens

The palace glowed as the moon rose higher in the dark sky. Everyone was fast asleep excluding the guards of course. Well not everyone...

"Is she alright?" A concerned voice asked the physician. It was none other than the prince, he watched the physician perform his remedies, amazed by the speed and accuracy of his skills. 

Sitting on a thin bedding was the young girl from earlier, holding both her arms out to the physician. He had wiped most of the blood away and wrapped the wounds with a thin bandage, allowing her to move her arms freely. She examined the bandages, bending her arms to see if it was uncomfortable but it wasnt making her smile at the Prince. She still didnt know exactly what he was, his royal clothing didnt make her realize how high up in ranks he was compared to her. But who could blame her? She had barely seen any royalty other than the King and Queen during ceremonies, so obviously she wouldnt recognize his clothing. 

"Yes Your Highness... She would be fully recovered in a couple weeks." The physician spoke softly to the Prince before bowing and taking his leave. 

The Prince let out a sigh of relief and turned to face the girl, watching her examine her banadages. He was about to speak when she spoke instead, "Thank you sir! I feel much better now." She smiled bowing her head deeply to the Prince. "I best leave..." She let out a tired yawn, rubbing her eyes with her palm.

The Crown Prince stood up and pulled her to her feet easily. "Oh alright... " He had forgotten to introduce himself and decided to do so now. "I am Kim Jong Kook by the way... The Pri-" He was cut off by her once more.

"Kim Jong Kook-ssi? Hmm the Royals have the last name Kim too!" She said dusting off her dress and stepping outside. "I need to get to the library.. may I know where it is sir?" She asked looking around. 

The Prince released a sigh, looks like she wont know who he is for a while. "The Library? Its right next door." He said pointing to the building across the path. 

"Ah... Thank you very much Sir. Good Night!" She said taking a bow towards him before scurrying off to her sleeping quarters. 

"Not a problem child.." He whispered after she leave, deciding that he too should call it a night.

And so, Ji Hyo slept that night, remembering the nice ahjussi that had kindly helped her. A person like him wont be easily forgotten for her. Jong Kook too kept the child in his mind, her melodic voice was something he wished to hear again. 


4 YEARS LATER....

"Ji Hyo-ssi! Someone spilt soup over here!"

"Ji Hyo-ssi! Slice up these rice cakes!"

"Yah! Agassi! Come over here and wash these!"

Orders were being thrown recklessly at the 16 year old girl. Although she was being ordered by many peoples at the same time, she wasn't overwhelmed and scurried to each chef, completing their orders quickly. She first went to the front of the kitchen, mopping up the floors that had the soup being spilt on. After that she rushed over to a maiden and speedily chopped the rice cakes, in perfect ovals. Finishing her slicing she hurried to the sink and washed the bowl of meat bones that was fresh from the farm. With a sigh, she wiped her forehead, placing the bowl in front of the chef. "Here, Sir." she said with a gentle smile.

"Yah... Agassi... I dont understand how you do it." The chef spoke, he was the closest to Ji Hyo ever since she arrived as a child. When she was young he addressed her by name but now that she was almost in adulthood he had called her 'Agassi' unlike the others. 

"What do you mean, Sir?" Ji Hyo asked, wiping her wet hands on her apron. 

"People are ordering you around and you havent made a mistake ONCE!" He sighed pulling out a butcher's knife, chopping up peices of meat.

Ji Hyo laughed and replied, "Well I can't afford making mistakes here, Sir."

The Chef shook his head, slamming his knife down on a bone, cutting it perfectly. "Agassi... " he started, looking around cautiously to see if anyone would hear. When the coast was clear he bent close and whispered to her, "I have heard rumours that you would be promoted." After saying that, he leant back and continued chopping his meat as though nothing happened.

Ji Hyo's eyes widened at his words and she bounced with glee. "Really?! Oh my goodness! I can't wai-" She was cut off by him.

"SHHHH!!! Agassi! You aren't meant to know!" He hushed pointing his knife at her. Ji Hyo immediately fell silent but couldnt help but smile profusely. "I mean it is about time you were promoted... You worked here for 4 years as a slave... A pretty agassi like you should be out in the palace" He said pulling the corners of his mouth into a grin.

Ji Hyo couldnt help but laugh at his response, covering her cheeks with her hands as though flattered. "Eey~ I would probably be promoted to concubines attendant." She said an even tone, hiding her excitement. 

"Well someone will come to transport you to your future job." The Chef mused, tossing the chopped bones into a bowl. 

Ji Hyo parted her lips to speak but was being called by another chef. "Looks like I have to go... Thank you Sir.!" She said, dipping her head to the chef before hurrying off to her next duty. 


"Abamama... You requested to see me?" The Crown Prince entered his father's study, bowing to the figure sitting in his large chair. 

"Crown Prince... I have an important matter to discuss..." The King began in a raspy voice. He was no longer young as a King, the wrinkles on his face proved so. So that is why he had called his eldest son to his study. 

"I have decided to retire as King..." He declared, looking across the room to his son, awaiting his response. 

The Crown Prince gaped at the King, mind going blank as his words were being processed. "W..What?!" He exclaimed in disbelief. Even though he had been studying all his life for this moment, he still couldnt believe it. 

The King rubbed his temples and spoke again in a clear voice. "I have decided to retire as King. Therefore you will be my successor. Of Course it wouldnt be straight away and could possibly take a year for preparations to be completed but it is certain that as soon as I finished what I needed to do, you will ascend the throne." He explained.

The Prince couldnt object his father's words and nodded simply. "Yes...Abamama..." He bowed deeply, before leaving the study with flooded thoughts. 

Seeing the Prince exit the study with a worried face, his loyal guard couldnt help but approach, bowing to the prince. "Your Highness... Something the matter?" He asked raising a brow to the prince.

The Prince raised his hand to his guard, walking off aimlessly. He heard the scurrying footsteps of his following attendants and turned slightly, speaking a tired voice. "Leave me at peace... I need to take a stroll." 

The attendants made a move to follow but were halted by Jae Suk, indicating that the Prince should be left alone for now. 


It was mid day when a familliar looking face walked into the kitchen. He carried a small envelope and was in search of a girl. At the sight of him, everyone bowed slightly before continuing there work. The man furrowed his brows and tapped a chef on the shoulder whispering something to him. The chef nodded and pointed to the girl slicing some vegetables.

Ji Hyo was busy cutting up vegetables when a man stood in front of her, holding out a letter. "Song Ji Hyo" He addressed.

She glanced up and bowed to the man. "Yes, My Lord?" She asked the man, glancing at the letter and him.

The man cleared his throat "I am General Ji. I was informed to give you this letter." He said. He felt as though he had seen this girl before but wasnt sure where, but he dismissed his thoughts when she took the letter from his hands.

Ji Hyo bowed when she took the letter, pulling out the thin sheet of paper that was inside. She folded it open and scanned the words a smile growing on her lips the more she read. "My Lord... Is this true?" She asked in disbelief, looking up at the General.

He merely nodded and was already walking towards the exit but paused to say something. "Tomorrow I will come to transfer you to your needed location." 

Ji Hyo dipped her head and quickly rushed over to the chef she had befriended. "Sir! Sir!" She called, waving the letter in front of his face. "I have been promoted!" 

The Chef was flustered by the paper in his face and took it from her hands, reading it quickly. "Agassi!!! This was better than I had expected!" He exclaimed patting Ji Hyo on her back. He turned to see the others working busily and whispered to her, "Yah, ill let you go and rest for a few minutes considering the great news." He gave a sly wink which Ji Hyo replied with a giggle and without hesistation, she dashed outside, the letter in hand. 


Jong Kook wandered around the palace yards, carefully taking both his surroundings and the thoughts that occupied his mind. He was turning the corner to head back to his attendants when the voice he had wished to hear flooded into his ears. //The girl!// he thought. It has been years since he had last saw her and by luck they crossed paths once more, even on the same spot. He peered the corner, gazing at the pond that glistened in the sunlight and of course there, atop of the rocks was the girl he had met years back. Except now she was more matured and even more beautiful. She was gazing up at the sky, seemingly saying another prayer seeing her hands pressed together.

He couldn't hear her words clearly but her voice was enough. With hands behind his back, he approached her slowly, waiting for her to notice him. 


"...Take care Eomeoni.." Ji Hyo ended her prayers and turned, only to be facing the familliar face of the kind ahjussi from years ago. "Eh? It is you, Kim Jong Kook-ssi." She said, still clueless about his rank but she did give a small bow to him.

Jong Kook was taken aback slightly, not used to not being addressed formally. He then recalled the first time they met, remembering that he never actually introduced himself. "Ah.. Yes, Ji Hyo-ssi." He began. 

"Jong Kook-ssi! You would not believe the great news I have!" She blurted out excitedly, bouncing off the rock to stand in front of him. She held out the letter to him and even though he was reading it, she said out what was written anyways. "I am promoted to an attendant!!" 

Jong Kook read the letter and his eyes widened with each word, jaw dropping by the end. 

"And not just any palace attendant..." Ji Hyo said, keeping away the lette. She looked at him with a crescent moon eye smile, a toothy grin on her lips. Jong Kook looked back at her with an unreadable expression as her words slipped off her tongue.

"I am going to be the Crown Prince's attendant!"


Hehe hope you guys enjoyed this chapter~ I was meant to finish this earlier but was rather busy. Yay! Jong Kook and Ji Hyo meet again but looks like they will be meeting much more often next time :D. Next Chapt: Identity revealed?