Chapter 27

Kings and Queens

The prison yard was dead silent, the only sounds were the heavy breathing of the tired looking Hee Gun. The King's clenched fingers fell to his side, his eyes wide in shock. 

"What?!" He said in disbelief, narrowing his eyes at the prisoner. 

"Th..The Queen..." Hee Gun gasped, coughing up dryly as he heaved for air. "She... She did this...All of it...." 

Jong Kook shook his head slowly, not believing what he said, not wanting to believe it. Jae Suk and General Ji who watched silently from behind were also in shock, small gasps escaping their throats. Although they did not know the Queen too well, it was still shocking to hear she would risk so much for the King. 

"No...." Jong Kook muttered, looking away as he himself felt as though he lacked air. "Can't be... It..." He shot back to face the prisoner, both anger and shock in his expression. 

"She... She ordered me...." Hee Gun made an effort to sit himself straight before slumping back against his chair weakly. "Ordered me... To take... Lady...Song.." He added in a raspy voice, his lids drooping past his eyes in exhuastion. 

"Stop it!" Jong Kook shouted, his head throbbing from the news. "Take him away!" Jong Kook ordered, waving his head quickly at the guards who hurriedly dragged the man away. 

Jong Kook was left standing on the footpath, looking at nowhere in particular, his eyes twitching. His fingers gripped the sides of his robes tightly as he gritted his teeth, biting back the tears in his eyes. 

"Your Majesty.." Jae Suk calmly said in a hushed voice. He took quick steps towards the King, concerned for his mental state as of now. He could almost feel the amount of pain the King was feeling at this moment, how betrayed he must have felt after hearing the news. 

"Jae Suk-ah." Jong Kook mumbled, looking at his faithful guard who also looked pained. Jong Kook had tear stains on his cheeks as he stumbled towards his guard, unable to hold back the tears any longer. "How could she.... How could she do this?! Jae Suk-ah!" Cried Jong Kook in frustration as he leaned against Jae Suk. Since the day Jae Suk had been employed as his personal guard, they have shared an unbreakable bond, not only as master and servant but as friends and companions. 

Jae Suk released a sigh from the King's pressed body against his shoulder, moving his arm to pat his back gently. "Your Majesty... " He reassured, glancing at Jong Kook before looking elsewhere, only providing a shoulder to cry on. 


The Queen sat in her chambers, her stomach churning from the thought of the possible outcomes from the interrogation. "Dont worry.... " She told herself in a soft voice, trying to calm herself. But she was far from calm, with a crazed look and a pale face as she clenched his fists tightly. 

Her doors drew open and one of her attendants came in, bowing slightly. "Your Grace..." 

Kwang Ja released a sigh of relief upon the sight of the attendant, cluching at her heart with closed eyes."Oh good... It's just you... I thought it was the Kin-" 

"LEE KWANG JA!" A voice interrupted her speech. The voice she had feared to hear on this day. Barging past the opened door and the bowed attendant, was an enraged King, his eyes narrowed in a glare. She gulped in fear, standing up quickly as she felt herself become sweaty at his presence. 

"Y...Your Majesty.." She stuttered, putting on her smile as she bowed deeply, hiding the fact her arms and legs were trembling profusely. She had moved away from her desk and was standing facing the King, pulling on an innocent look she prayed would work. "What is wrong?" She asked, forcing a bigger smile as she tilted her head, going all out with her act. 

"Dont act with me!" Jong Kook erupted, disgusted by her acts. The attendant that was still standing in the room quickly slid outside, shutting the door behind her in fear. "You...You..!" Jong Kook couldn't even speak properly from all of his anger, releasing a puff of air instead. "Wench." He finished, that word being the only insult he could think of at this point in time. 

Kwang Ja was taken aback by his words and her smile slowly disappeared as her face clearly became pale. She tried not to frown nor widen her eyes and attempted to remain calm. "W..What?" She stuttered with a small smile, still trying to act. Upon his insult, she acted as though hurt and looked to the floor quietly. "It seems I have angered Your Majesty..." She sighed, trying to make him feel pity towards her.

Pity was the last thing Jong Kook felt when he stared at her. "How could you.... She hasn't done anything towards you!" Jong Kook shouted, not even needing to refer to who he was talking about.

Giving up on her act, Kwang Ja let her faked smile slide off and instead had a grim look. "Your Majesty... She tried to come between us..." She explained with her icy stare, taking a step closer. 

Jong Kook took a step back, his lips tightened in a line. "No...You came between 'us' " Jong Kook said harshly, emphasizing that the 'us' he was talking about was not him and her but Ji Hyo and him. 

The Queen was left in a loss of words, staring at him with a blank look. 

"Pack your things... Don't you ever dare set foot in this palace again." Jong Kook muttered, taking the marital ring he had worn on his finger off. They had both been given this ring on the day of their wedding as a symbol of the bind between them. It was a simplistic gold ring that much to Jong Kook's displeasure, had to be worn. But now, he slid it off his finger easily and threw it on the ground simply. He gave one last look to the Queen before turning away and leaving her chambers with a calmed expression, the heavy weight on his heart slowly lifting. 

Kwang Ja was abandoned in her chambers, stunned by his actions. Her legs went weak and she collapsed onto her knees, instant tears streaming down her cheeks. She wept silently, reaching out to pick up the ring that was tossed on the floor. She held it beside her own ring that was still on her finger, biting her lip as she realized how wrong her plans had gone. With anger, she threw his ring across the room, hearing the metal scrape against the wooden floorboards. With anger and sadness filling her heart, she sat kneeling in her chambers, weeping silently to herself.


Jong Kook steps slowly eased as he turned the corner, aimlessly walking away from the Queen's chambers. He didn't pay much attention to where he was going considering he was busy in thought. But he ceased the commotion in his brain when he halted in front of the gardens, suprised to see his concubine still standing there. She must not have noticed him for she was still sitting upon the rocks by the pond, gazing blankly at the sky. 

Seeing her poised like that made Jong Kook reminiscent the first time he met her in the palace. He let his thin lips ease into a smile as he took careful steps towards her but was shocked when he heard her voice. 

"You are back early, My King..." she called out, turning around with a smile as she looked at him. She had heard him stumble into the gardens not too long ago and also figured his presence seeing her own attendants glance sideways at him. 

"Ah... Yes.." Jong Kook smiled, clearing his throat as he walked over to her. His smile slowly disappeared as a more solemn look took over. "Ji Hyo-ah.." He began softly, sitting down on the empty space beside her. 

Ji Hyo knew from both his speech and his expression that what he is going to say was not pleasant. But with a small smile, she braced herself for the news. "Yes?"

"I don't know how to say this..." murmured Jong Kook as he rubbed his neck awkwardly. He released a sigh before looking back up at her. "Ji Hyo-ah... The person behind all of this.... was Her Majesty.." He finished in a soft voice, scanning her face for any sign of shock.

But Ji Hyo remained calm by his words, as though what he said was barely even heard. 

"Aren't you suprised?" Jong Kook asked curiously, wondering why she did not burst out in anger. 

"I already knew from the beginning she had some loose screws..." Ji Hyo sighed looking away with tight lips. "Not a suprise that she was the one who was behind all of that." She shurgged her shoulders slightly, subconsciously playing with the ring on her finger. 

Jong Kook felt a sudden guilt as to the fact that Ji Hyo had picked up on it since the start but he didnt. "Sorry... Ji Hyo-ah.." He said quietly brushing his hand against hers.

She took his hand without hesitation and absent mindly rubbed his fingers. Turning back to face him, she spoke, "Stop blaming yourself..." She whispered with a reasurring grin. "It is not your fault she is like that..." 

"But it is my fault she came here in the first place." Jong Kook rebutted, looking at the ground. 

"Nonetheless... She acted that way not because of you..." Ji Hyo calmly replied, taking his chin in her hand and pulling his head up to her level. "So don't say 'sorry' for what she has done. Understand?" She asked, looking deeply into his eyes.

Jong Kook flushed a light pink and nodded slowly, not wanting to move away from the close proximity they were in. But it was Ji Hyo who moved away first, seeing his understanding nod. "Good." She smiled. 

Jong Kook made a small pout, thinking he was going to receive a kiss but clearly didnt. Noticing his pout, Ji Hyo giggled and squished his lips with her fingers playfully. "Aigoo...My lips will become sore if I kiss you too often." She teased, releasing his lips with some force. Jong Kook covered his lips, a small soreness after her grab. 

"It hurts." He whined, widening his eyes at her. 

"Where? Let me see..." Ji Hyo smiled, playing along with his adorable acts. Jong Kook pouted his lips again, this time leaning closer towards her and making a deal of closing his eyes as he did so. "Looks fine with me... Lets have dinner shall we?" Ji Hyo said with a grin, standing up and walking away from the pouting King.

Jong Kook opened his eyes and watched her leave in disbelief. "Yah! You..." He began but she had already made her way towards her chambers. With a grumpy expression, he sat up from the rock and hastily chased after her, scrambling to be close to her. 

A few moments later, they were both sitting together, awaiting for their meal. Jong Kook still had a grumpy look from not receiving a kiss whilst Ji Hyo wore a playful smirk, knowing exactly why he was grumpy. 

"I am mad at you." Jong Kook stated, obviously reminding her about her faults. 

Ji Hyo laughed a little at his words, calming down to speak to him, "What have I done this time?" she asked acting oblivious to the situation.

"So childish." Jong Kook huffed looking away just in time for the doors to open and several attendants arriving with trays of food. 

Ji Hyo was about to retialiate when plates of food were laid out in front of her. She her lips in anticipation when all of sudden she felt her stomach churn. She heaved heavily, catching the attention of Jong Kook who instantly had a worried look. 

"Ji Hyo-ah?" He called, looking at her sudden actions. She had covered and seemed like she was about to hurl. He rushed over to her and patted her back gently until the hurling stopped. "What happened?" He asked in concern. 

Ji Hyo slid her hand off and touched her belly instinctively, her eyes widening upon the realization. 

"My King.... " She gulped looking at him worriedly. "I think I am pregnant."


Okay! I am back from my Thailand trip! Oh my goodness... I LOVE THAILAND! It was soo much fun and soo beautiful. I went to Phuket and my word... It was amazing!

Anyways... enough about the trip... Here is a brand new chapter for yall. Hope you guys liked it! It is abit overdued >.< And most likely future chaps would be irregular cause school is about to start and I will try to find time. 

Bahaha I loved the new RM episode. Ji Hyo's aegyo was too cute x3