Chapter 10

Kings and Queens

 

2 YEARS LATER....

Gong~. The loud chime from the gong echoed throughout the palace. Soon after, ceremonial music began to erupt from the traditional instruments that were played by the Bureau of Music. The King sat upon his throne, overseeing the ceremony with a whole hearted smile, preparing himself for the main event. His concobines were seated beside him, all 3 of them enjoying the precious moment. 

The palace doors open and everyone turned to look at the figure that walked in. As he passed them, they bowed down to their waist. The 23-year old Crown Prince kept his gaze ahead as he walked down the path, his hands folded and hidden by the long sleeves of his robes. Behind him directly was Jae Suk and Lady Jung, a proud smile on their faces as they walked slowly behind. Trailing in the back were his 12 attendants, shuffling along with their heads down. 

The gong chimed again and with that, the music ceased and the attendants drew away from the path, lining up along the sides, awaiting the announcement. 

A minister appeared from the sides and glanced at another minister who came rushing out with a tray that had a scroll on top. The first minister picked it up whilst the other scurried away with the tray. He uncurled the scroll, stretching out the paper with his arms. Clearing his throat he began to read in a loud voice, audible for those who stood in the open space of the palace yard.

"Salutations to those who have attended this glorious and prestigous event. I, Kim Jong Se, The King of this nation has hereby retired from the throne as King. I have therefore bestowed the title of King to my eldest son, Crown Prince Kim Jong Kook. As on this day onwards, he will take on issues that address political and financial problems. I will hold my title of Sang Gam Mama { a title used to address former kings } and assist The Crown Prince in anyway I can as he reigns as King. Therefore, to those who stand here, witnessing this event, please be notified that Kim Jong Kook is the new king of this nation." The Minister finished reading, scrolling the paper back up.

The Crown Prince did a ceremonial bow, bringing his arms up to eye level, kneeling down and bowing towards the king. He rose up with his arms still in front before bowing a half bow. As soon as he finished the Minister shouted "Long live the king!" going down on all fours to bow to the prince. In unison everyone that stood watching, went onto their hands and knees, bowing greatly while saying the phrase "long live the king!" continuously. 

Outside the palace, word has spread about the new king already and celebrations were being planned.  The villagers were shouting along loudly, "All hail the King!", as they made preparations for a festival. 

That evening, a banquet was held at the main ground of the palace. It had thousands of dishes prepared by the best chefs, only to feed those who worked in the palace grounds. Jong Kook was seated upon his throne, behind a table crowded with mouth-watering dishes. In front of him were rows of tables, seating the hundred over slaves, servants, ministers and guards of the palace. They all sat murmuring and chatting together, all in excitement for the feast.

"Oh my goodness... I am so glad I work for His Highness~" Maeri hummed, looking at Ji Hyo with large eyes.

"I can't deny that working for him sure do have benefits." Ji Hyo responded, she herself being as eager. Maeri was about to respond when the new King rose from his seat, silencing the crowd. He let his eyes hover over everyone before raising his glass to them all, "Commence the fest!" He commanded before sitting back down on his seat, sipping at the tea. 

With his word, everyone bent their heads down to eat hungrily at their plates. They ate so quickly, afraid if they slow down, the food would disappear. Ji Hyo had busied herself with a large bowl of noodles, slurping it up savegely. Within moments she was already lifting the bowl to her lips and drinking every last drop of the soup. 

"Yah Ji Hyo! You eat well!" Maeri complimented, taking a large bite of a lettuce wrapped meat. Ji Hyo laughed and wiped her lips with a napkin, looking around the table to see what else she could eat. Feeling rather full, she placed her napkin done and watched the other servants eat, seeing a bright grin on their faces. She released a content sigh, she closed her eyes, blocking out the chattering voices. 

Her eyes opened slowly, her eye lashes tickling her cheekbones as she glanced up towards the royals. Her eyes came in contact with another man's gaze, locking on his as they both stared at each other. The newly crowned King gazed at her eyes, sparkling with admiration for her. She looked back at him, her large brown eyes forming into a crescent as she smiled towards him. Seeing her smile made him grin back before his attention was drawn away by his father's laughter. He hadn't heard what was being said but let out an awkward laugh, flicking his eyes at his attendant before resuming to laugh at the unknown joke said.

Ji Hyo's focus was also drawn away by a burping Maeri who sat comfortably, rubbing her suddenly huge belly. "Unnie. Did you get pregnant?" Ji Hyo asked teasingly, poking Maeri's belly. Maeri shot her a glare and huffed, swatting her finger away.

"Someone has a brave tongue." She snorted, getting up to her feet seeing the other attendants standing up as well. "Come on. Seems like we have to change into our new uniforms." She said, pulling Ji Hyo up with a strong lift.

Ji Hyo got to her feet and followed the others quietly. "Change our uniforms? Aren't these one's fine?" She asked Maeri.

"Nope. Attendants that serve the Crown Prince and the concubines dress like us." Maeri said as they walked up the steps. "But for the king's attendants, we have to wear a lighter green vest." She explained as they entered their new sleeping quarters. Neatly folded and piled ontop of each bespread was a set of clothing. Identical to the one they wore currently except for the colour of the vest. They dressed quickly and before they knew it, were summoned to the Imperial Palace. Ji Hyo admried the large landscape of the palace which she would have to serve in from now on. 

"Listen up ladies!" Lady Jung called as the attendants lined up beside the entrance of the study. "We are no longer a Crown Prince's maid, we are serving the King! Orders should be taken seriously and if anyone dares to disobey His Majesty, they will be unconditionally punished with their lives." She warned glaring at a couple individuals.

Ji Hyo kept her head low and pulled at her finger awkwardly. The sliding doors from the study were drawned wide and General Ji stepped out with a stern expression. He marched towards Lady Jung, muttering something quietly in her ear. Lady Jung turned to look at Ji Hyo as he spoke and nodded grimly, shaking her head slightly. Ji Hyo gulped at the look she had received and watched as the General came marching over, causing the others to stare and murmur. 

"Ji Hyo-ssi. Come with me." He ordered, turning away and marching down the stairs. Ji Hyo was a bit flustered and hesistated at first but seeing his stern look, she shuffled after him, slowing down once she had met his pace. She was full of questions and it seemed the General read her thoughts as he turned his head slightly to speak in a hushed voice, "Do not ask anything and head to your quarters. Change into your commoner clothes and meet me by the palace entrance. I expect you do this quickly and without a complaint." He ordered, making his way towards the Palace gates, leaving Ji Hyo at the paves intersection, at a loss for words. 

With much curioisity and nervousness, she hurried to her quarters and changed into her villager outfit, tying her hair quickly into a braid. With worried steps, she hurried her pace and arrived at the gates of the palace within a matter of time. She dipped her head to the General who was leaning against the wall, tapping his foot impatiently. 

"About time." He muttered pushing himself off the wall and walking out the gates where a stallion stood with a retainer holding its reigns. He looked at Ji Hyo and gestured for her to get on. 

"Me? My Lord. I have never ridden a -" Ji Hyo let out a yelp as she was hoisted off her feet and was slumped onto the saddle. The General hauled himself up in front of her, taking the reigns from the servant. He flicked the reigns making the stallion rear a little before advancing forward in a strong gallop.

Ji Hyo was hurled against the General before finding two handle straps on the sides of the saddle which she gripped so tightly her knuckles became white. They galloped past the town and took a side road that was meant for horses and palaquins. Ji Hyo looked around, at a lost. "My lord where are we going?!" Ji Hyo yelled over the defeaning sound of the horse's hoofbeats.

The General glanced back at her and replied with a scoff. "Be patient! We are arriving shortly. I am bringing you here on royal orders!" He shouted back, flicking the reigns, making the stallion increase in speed. 

Ji Hyo clenched tightly, wondering where on earth are they going. //Royal orders? Who would order the General to bring me here...// she thought to herself as they neared a private residence with high walls. A servant was waiting for them and took the reigns of ther horses, letting the two unmount easily. Ji Hyo landed roughly and examined the exterior of the place. 

"This way." instructed the General, pushing two doors leading into the place open. Ji Hyo peered in and cautiously stepped in but as soon as she entered, the door closed shut behind her. She turned back and frantically knocked at the door, "My Lord?! Anyone?!" She shouted only to be replied with dead silence. Frightened, she picked up a long peice of wood, deciding that if anyone approached, this would be her best weapon. She carefully paced around, holding out the stick in front of her. She peered into the only building that stood in the of the area, it was empty but from one look it was clear someone had lived there. She found a path leading to the back of the building and walked through but was shocked at what she had seen.

In front of her was a large garden where bright grass swayed in the breeze with a large cherry blossom tree in the corner, its pink petals covering the ground beneath. Her head turned to the sound of flowing water to find herself staring at a small waterfall, its water rushing down some rocks and leading into a pond. Beyond the pond, it lead into a small river that lead to a large pool of water that had an abundance of fishes. Across the river was a marble bridge, designed with simplicity yet the paintings engraved on it were complex and detailed. Ji Hyo gaped in amazement, taking steps closer. 

"Beautiful isnt it?" A voice called out from behind her but with an instant reflex, Ji Hyo swung the stick she hald been holding out behind her, feeling it come in contact with a body. A thump was heard as the body slumped onto the floor, a long groan could be heard exiting their mouth. Ji Hyo held her stick cautiously  in front as she peered into the shadows, trying to identify the person.

A gasp was heard as the thud of her stick fell to the ground beside, her. She rushed over to the unconscious person, hands over as her eyes were wide and concerned. She prodded the body with her arm, shaking their shoulders roughly. With a overwhelmed expression, she let called out in attempt to wake them.

"Your Majesty!"


Well then... This was a rather late upload. >.< I know its late and I actually planned to write 2 today but turns out my family came down a day earlier. So.. chapters might be a bit delayed and late. But you guys shouldn't be reading too much fanfics when its the holidays! :D Hope you have a great week with your loved ones <3. Omo~ Jong Kook is King!! and Ji Hyo knocked him out... <.<" Next chapt: Raining and Healing?