Chapter 25

Kings and Queens

Scared. That was the first thing Ji Hyo felt when she woke up dazed. She looked around frantically, her breathing become quicker and rougher as she was sitting in an unfamilliar room once again. This time however, the man that was sitting in front of her did not make her scream in fear but made her tears instantly appear. 

"Ji Hyo-ah..." Jong Kook called softly, the way he had always called her. He felt a stab in his heart when he saw her look so afraid, looking at him with wide eyes, innocent eyes that have seen too much. 

"Your Majesty..." She answered, kicking away the blanket that was wrapped around her and pouncing onto him, hugging him tightly. Her fears and insecurity had disappeared as soon as she was in his embrace, gripping onto him, not wanting to let go. She closed her eyes, her tears being squeezed out and dripping onto his robes.

Jong Kook released a puff of air as she grabbed him tightly around his waist, burying her face into his chest. Fighting back tears himself, he wrapped his arms around her, giving her a gentle squeeze. He brushed the back of her head, caressing her in his arms, their two bodies giving heat to each other. He felt her body trembling and tightened his embrace, bending his head down to rest it on her shoulder. 

"Ji Hyo-ah... Don't cry.... He is gone.... You are safe..." He reassured, whispering into her ear.

His whispers weren't like the other man's, unlike the scared and cold feeling she got from that bastard's whispers... His Majesty's voice was soothing and made her feel better almost instantly. 

She opened her eyes slowly and pulled away to look at him, locking her eyes onto his. She kept her hold on his hand, wrapping her small fingers around his muscular ones. Her pouted lips were slowly drawn into a small smile from looking at him. "I am sorry.... " she whispered, lowering her head towards him. 

Jong Kook shook his head at her apology, pulling her chin up to meet his gaze. "No... Don't blame yourself... Please don't ever blame yourself...I should be the one that is sorry.... I should be the one to have gotten hurt...." He spoke quickly, wiping away the tears that stained her cheeks. He continued to shake his head as he looked at the rope burns on her arms, the scratches on her legs and the pained look she had. With a heavy sigh, he dipped his head, shutting his eyes in shame. "I promised to protect you..... Seems like I can't even do that..." He sighed, pressing his head closely against his chest.

"Don't speak that way, My King..." Ji Hyo said in a hush voice, although she was injured and ill it seemed like her voice will forever hold its melodic   tune. "The one to blame is not you...So do not blame yourself...Understand?" She added, pressing both her palms against his cheeks and pulling his head up, smiling slightly at the funny way he looked when she squished his cheeks. Like him, she wiped away his tears with her slender fingers, rubbing his cheeks softly. 

"Understood..." He murmured, a lopesided smile on his lips, the reaction from seeing her smile. The heavy feeling he had was lifted when she brushed against his cheeks, a strong sense of gratitude towards the gods for letting her stay by him again. "Thank you Ji Hyo-ah.... For not hating me..." He said shyly.

"Aigoo... Why would I hate you, Your Majesty." she said, her usual playful demeanour coming in. 

"I promised..." He began only to be shushed to silence by Ji Hyo.

"Well I also promised you something... " Ji Hyo interjected, leaning towards him, tilting her neck to look at him with a smile. "I promised to stay by your side forever didn't I?" She said softly. 

Jong Kook blushed at her statement, feeling so touched and grateful to have her not only as his beloved but as his companion, his energy pill. He tilted his head down to meet her gaze and planted a soft yet compassionate kiss on her lips, both of them fluttering their eyes shut, making the moment last. He opened his eyes slowly, the same time she did and they both pulled away with small smiles, the connection they had strengthening from the kiss. 

"It is late... You should rest..." Jong Kook whispered reluctantly, not wanting to leave her. He brushed her hair behind her ear, tucking it neatly. 

"I... I dont want to sleep alone..." Ji Hyo mumbled, looking down and fumbling on the ends of her braid as her heart thumped in fear, recalling the night's incident. She bit on her lip as the horror flooded in and she trembled slightly. 

Jong Kook looked at her with a worried expression before patting her back gently, turning it into a rub as she slowly calmed down. "Alright... Ill call your attendants to sleep..." 

"No! I want you to sleep here... with me.." Ji Hyo blurted shyly, her cheeks flushing a pinkish tone. Jong Kook raised his brows before breaking into a grin, nodding his head in understanding. 

"Alright... Lets sleep then..." He sighed contently. Ji Hyo beamed at his agreement and quickly shuffled into her bedspread, wriggling to the sides to make room for him even though the bedspread was big enough for two. She held up the blanket in welcome, patting the empty space beside her anxiously, looking at him with a smile. Jong Kook chuckled, taking off his black crown and placing it on the floor beside him. He undid his robes so that he was left with his simplistic white garment and slipped under the blankets, moving around to make himself comfortable.

He turned to face Ji Hyo who had her side to face him as well, resting her head on her arm. He smiled and brushed his fingers against her soft skin that had slowly regained its natural colour. A satisfied sigh escaped Ji Hyo's lips as she snuggled closer towards his body, begging for his warmth. Taking it as an invitation, Jong Kook wrapped a protective arm around her, laying his head on his other arm. 

"Good night..." Ji Hyo said pausing to let a tired yawn escape . "My King..." she finished, releasing a unknown mumble after that. 

"Good night... My love..." Jong Kook whispered in reply, stopping his through her hair and pulling her closer towards him. Seeing her slowly drift off into sleep, he too closed his eyes, feeling happy to have her in his arms, safe. 

Ji Hyo had her eyes shut, a smile on her lips and a mind filled with happy thoughts. His arms were like a barricade, blocking out all the unwanted nightmares and memories, keeping her warm and cozy. Finally both of them escaped into their dreamland where they both had dreamed of noone but each other.


Short but cute chapt :) Hope you liked this chapt. I know it is a bit short and will try to make the next one longer. The chapter after this will be the last chapter before I go to Thailand so there will be a break in the story till the end of the weekend. Promising SA moments in next chapt. 

Also on a side note, who has watched the recent running man ep? I found it funny and really smart! I really loved how JH got slightly more screen time in this ep. I feel kinda sad that her appearance on camera alone is so rare. I really hope they dedicate one ep to her and make her the main char! Like a spy or something! Any comments on that?