Chapter 16

Kings and Queens

The sun rose slowly from the horizon, casting its bright orange light over the lands. It woke up the townspeople, peeping its strong rays through their windows and letting it seep through the cracks in the walls. It was a peaceful Friday, with workers slowly easing themselves with work, already waiting the weekend ahead. Farmers had already did their weekly duties and had the day to visit the markets. Blacksmiths had already make a week supply of armoury and weaponery, only having to clean up their shop and wait for the buyers to buy out the whole store. Everyone was in their festive moods, anxious for the weekend to come around.

Unlike the excited and leisured townspeople, His Majesty, the King was in a dilemna. He was pacing back and forth in his study room, eyes furrowed in frustration as he walked over to the calendar which hung on his wall. He placed his finger on the calendar and traced it across the page, eyeing the dates with hope. With a angry grunt, he slammed his fist against the wall before walking away to sit down, glaring at opened letter he received. 

//2 more days.... 2 more days and I will be wedded to some rich man's daughter..// The King thought angrily, scratching at his head from all the pent up anger. The wedding was already planned out and was to be set on the Sunday, the day where everyone was free. Today, he was to meet his so called wife for the first time, not even feeling the slightest bit of excitment in meeting her, only remorse. No matter how pretty people said his soon to be wife was, he could only picture one girl, the one girl that made his heart thump twice as fast when they talked. She didnt know about the marriage since everyone felt bad in saying it to her but how would she feel when she knew? She would hate him. Jong Kook scrunched up the letter on his desk and stormed outside, needing to be calmed by no one else but her. 


T"Unnie, what is going on in the palace? It seems everyone is so busy and frantic lately." Ji Hyo asked. She had noticed the strange behaviour ever since a couple days ago where servants scurried back and forth without a break. She assumed it was for a ceremony but wasn;t sure what the occasion was and everytime she tried to ask another attendant, they would advert the topic or ignore her. 

Maeri stopped smiling and bit her tongue, scratching her neck awkwardly, "Ah well... " Maeri stuttered, frantically looking over to the others who only shrugged their shoulders helplessly. She didnt know how to respond to Ji Hyo without potentially causing her heart to be shattered and just stood with slightly agape with no words leaving it. Thank the heavens that the King chose to exit his study right there and then, making her release a sigh of relief. 

Ji Hyo turned her head to the sound of doors being pulled back, already smiling since she knew who it was. He approached her with a solemn look, his lips pressed together in a thin line. She smiled brightly to him but it only made him frown even more, was he mad with her? "Your Majesty." She greeted bowing her head, only for the others to do the same, 

Jong Kook stared at her sadly, seeing her so happy made him even more sorrowed. How could he tell her the news? He forced out the smallest smile and gave her a nod, not sure how to start his words. With a heavy sigh he lowered his eyes to her and said in a soft voice. "Ji Hyo-ah~" He began looking at her with guilt. The other attendants sensed his sudden change of attitude and they knew what was coming, backing away from the two. They stood with their heads down, feeling pity for their fellow friend, knowing what was to come of this. 

"Yes, Your Majesty?" Ji Hyo responded with a bright grin, innocently showing him her smiling lips in hopes of cheering him up.

"I have to go somewhere for a while..." Jong Kook said softly, looking at his hands before turning to see his guard look with the same expression the other attendants had, pity. 

"Oh. Sure. Would you like me to follow, Your Majesty?" Ji Hyo replied, being so used to following him around that asking was not even needed anymore. 

"You can't follow me this time, Ji Hyo-ah... I have to meet someone..." He said quietly, biting the inside of his cheek, debating wether or not to say it. The attendants all looked up slightly, looking pitifully at Ji Hyo. Even Jae Suk lost focus in guarding that he was just standing and listening to the King. 

"I see. Who might that be, Your Majesty?" Ji Hyo asked, quite taken aback at the refusal to follow, being accustomed to being invited with him that not following him to this meeting was odd even for her. 

Jong Kook braced himself and with a sigh, he spoke in the softest voice, looking away from her eyes and at his hands. "My future Queen." 

Ji Hyo momentarily went blank at his words, unable to process it without denying. Her eyes went wide and her jaw dropped, shocked at his statement. The pain she felt in her heart could not be desrcribed as it felt like it was torn in two and trampled on. She looked away from him and at the floor, the truth hitting her hard. Biting her lip, she forced a smile and turned back, her eyes watery but she held the tears. "Oh I see... I send my regards to her... Your Majesty." She smiled, biting back her tears but a stray teardrop couldn't help but roll down her cheek, making a line down her face. 

Jong Kook felt pained from saying that and felt even worse seeing her act like she was unaffected. The smile she put on to reassure him only made his heart ache even more and the tear that had left her eyes was making it worse. "Ji Hyo-ah~" He called again, not wanting to see her like this. 

"Pardon me, Your Majesty. I have my duties to attend to." Ji Hyo lied with a smile, finding an excuse to leave without crying a waterfall. She bowed to him with a pained smile and turned to walk away when a hand grabbed her wrist tightly, making her stumble back. She turned to see him, holding her her wrist, pleading for her to stay with his eyes. "Your Majesty..." She began in a whisper, putting her other hand on his, trying to pry her wrist free. But with his other hand he grabbed her waist and yanked her into his arms.

He wrapped his bulky arms around her small frame, feeling her tremble as she fought her tears. Caressing the back of her head with his hand he whispered, "Ji Hyo-ah~" He rested his chin on her shoulder, pressing his head against hers as his hand her hair gently. Ji Hyo couldn't hold it back any longer and release the long awaited tears, sobbing freely against him. She cried against his chest, like a child needing a hug. His embrace was warm and she loved it, burying her tear stained face against his torso. 

Feeling her calm down slightly,he spoke in a hushed voice, "Ji Hyo-ah~ Do not hate me because of this... Whoever this new queen may be.. My love for her won't even compare to how much I treasure you. You are my one and only so do not misunderstand. Understand?" He hushed to her, pulling away to see her look at him with red eyes from the crying. He smiled and wiped at her cheeks with his thumb only for her to stop him with her hand. 

"Your Majesty... You shouldn't be like this...Your Queen should be loved by you so treat her like how you treat me. You would only be repeating your father's mistake if you do that." Ji Hyo said quietly, holding onto his hand and giving it a little squeeze. 

"How could I love her when I have you? Are you saying you don't love me as much?" He gasped, putting his lips into a pout, crossing his arms. Ji Hyo laughed in amusement, how adorable he was. 

"You should love her equally as much." She said before taking a step closer to look up at his pouty lips. "How could you say that? I love you as much as I kiss you, Your Majesty." She teased. 

"But we only kissed onc-!" Jong Kook was silenced as Ji Hyo stood on her tip toes to plant a kiss on his pouty lips making him blush. "Twice.Only two times..." He said pouting out his lips again with a smile. 

"Aigoo~ Your Majesty, you already asking for more? Tsk. tsk." Ji Hyo tutted shaking her head. She smirked at his pouty lips and turned away, resisting the urge to pounce on him there and then. "Have fun meeting her, Your Majesty." She called back.

The onlookeers were watching the whole thing and felt touched by the moment, feeling the sincerity they had for each other. Jae Suk smiled, happy to see his once grumpy King look so cheery and happy when he was with her. 

The King looked at her as she left, wanting to run at her but fought the urge. "Hmph. One day I will make you mine officially and when that day comes, I wont be the only one begging for more." He proclaimed pointing an accusing finger at her, a cheeky grin on his mouth. He turned to Jae Suk and nodded to him. "Come on." He called, watching him scurry behind him as they made their way to the central pagoda where he was to meet his Queen. 

Ji Hyo blushed at his announcement and patted her cheeks, making her fellow friends . She grinned, her mind slowly filling with the fantasy of being a concubine of the King. But fantasies are only fantasies....


Jong Kook reached the pagoda in a matter of time, approaching the back of a sitting lady. She looked regal even from the back and with that one look, anyone could see the power she had. He gulped slightly as Jae Suk patted his back. 

"All the best, Your Majesty." He whispered. Jong Kook nodded and walked up the steps of the pagoda, circling around the sitting woman before sitting himself down across her. She had her head down, making it impossible for him to see her face. 

"Your Majesty..." She spoke, her voice sounding quite clear. She bowed her head down towards him and finally lifted her head to his eye level. She blinked at him with a smirk on her red lips as she eyed him. He did the same and bowed to her, also eyeing her up and down. 

"It is a pleasure to meet you. I, the daughter of the Southern Faction leader humbly greet you. I wish that we live happily together and that I am taken care of." She spoke. 

"Ah of course. I too wish that you take good care of me and that we can rule together peacefully." Jong Kook spoke briskly. 

"How rude of me. I had forgotten to say my name during my introduction." She stated dipping her head for her mistake. 

"My name is Lee Kwang Ja."

 


Done! Hope you guys like this chapter! Majority vote said Lee Kwang Jaso here you go~