Chapter 5

Kings and Queens

1 YEAR LATER....

A year has passed, bringing the villagers of the nation both happiness and blessings. Far off in the mountains, the three huts that stood alone had something other than happiness. After the passing of Ji Hyo's mother, her father and her went through a downfall. Her father made little money, before the death, he and his wife worked together to collect better herbs that could sell for enough money that would last a week. But now... collecting alone and having to rush back to his daughter, he didnt have the time or strength to collect the better herbs. They had to sell Bongie to the local farmer who thought having a three-legged dog could be useful... as bait. 

Even after selling Bongie and selling the herbs that had value, they were still spiralling down in poverty. Ji Hyo's father hated seeing his daughter suffer and finally decided to execute a plan he didnt wish he had to do. 


"ABEOJI! ABEOJI!" Cried Ji Hyo as she was being dragged away by a soldier, her eyes wide and scared, looking directly at her father. Her father looked at her, his hands behind his backs. He didnt say a word, watching her be dragged away from the huts, his neighbours watched curiously, the kids frightened. 

"ABEOJI!!!!" Ji Hyo screamed, struggling against the strength of the soldier. 

"Shut up you brat!" He ordered tightening his hold of her and pulling her along. "Your Abeoji is gone!" 

Ji Hyo cried silently, too afriad to speak. She was led further and further away from her family and friends and the home she lived in for 12 years. 

Meanwhile..

Ji Hyo's father turned away when they were no longer in his sight, drawing out a fat pouch of coins. //Sorry Ji Hyo-ah.... Abeoji needs money...// He thought tossing the coin in his hand, weighing it. He had sold his daughter away, offering her to the palace, letting them take her. Most likely she would be a slave but he didnt care as long as he got his money. She would hopefully be taken care of when she is there unlike the condition he was in. 

In the distance, the soldier had dragged Ji Hyo to the entrance of the palace where an attendant stood waiting. He threw the girl on the floor, making her fall hard against the gravel. Ji Hyo pushed herself to her feet, her cheeks burning in pain. Her vision was blurred but she could make out the attendant's features. Unlike the soldier, the attendant was gentle and held her hand softly, guiding her through the palace. 

"Dont cry young child.." She soothed wiping away the dirt and tears that had stuck to Ji Hyo's face. Ji Hyo glanced at her, still crying. 

With a smile she continued to walk, keeping the young girl close. Ji Hyo wiped her tears and looked around, the palace was huge compared to the huts she lived in. She admired the detailed paintings on pillars and the wonderfully tiled roofs. Her favourite was the occasional pond and gardens that grew vibrant flowers. They had arrived at the palace kitchen where many chefs were bustling in and out, too busy cooking to notice them enter.

"Maeri-ssi! Is that the new kitchen slave?" Called out a chef from the back of the kitchen. The attendant that had held Ji Hyo's hand nodded. 

//So her name is Maeri..// Ji Hyo thought, remembering to keep that name clear in her mind. She followed the attendant to the far back of the kitchen where all the meat were chopped. The stench was strong and Ji Hyo gulped at the sight of all the meat being hung up. 

"Naw, isnt our slave cute." Commented the same chef from earlier, looking down at her whilst washing the meat. "What's your name kid." He asked wiping his bloody stained hands against his apron.

Ji Hyo remained silent, clutching Maeri's hand in fear. Maeri turned to look at her and grinned. "Come on kid. Unless you wanna be called 'brat' or 'child' for the rest of your life, you gotta give a name." 

"My name.. is.. Song..Ji..Hyo." Ji Hyo said wide eyed. 

"Alright Ji Hyo, from now on.. you have to listen to the kitchen chefs. Your job will likely be to clean the mess once the midnight bell rings." Maeri informed her, releasing her hold of her hand. "Now I have to go attend to my duties. Ill see you soon." With that, she turned and left the young girl alone in the busy kitchen. 

"Yah kid, dont stand there and get in the way of people. Come here with me. You are filthy and under dressed to be working in the kitchen." Said another attendant pulling her away. 

Soon, Ji Hyo returned to the kitchen, clean and dressed in the palace maid gown. By the time she returned, it was sun down and most chefs had served their last meal to the royals meaning it was time for her to clean. Ji Hyo knew how to clean the simple bowls from her hut but this enormous kitchen was another story. 

"Ji Hyo! Go wash the dishes! Once your done, mop down all the floors. When you have finished all that, return to your room, it is beside the library." Ordered one of the Chefs. They all had heard news about her and didnt hesistate to order her around straight away. 

"Yes, Sir." She replied glancing over to where the dishes laid. He jaw dropped at the monstrous pile of dishes and utensils, having being used to seeing one or two plates. 

So there she sat for the next hour, scrubbing away at the dishes with no one but herself. Her fingers were wrinkled from the water and had cuts from the hidden knives that laid underwater. Finished with the dishes she reached for the mop, dipping it carefully in the water and beginning to wipe at the floors. For another whole hour she cleaned and cleaned, mopping up the blood and unknown junk that made their way on the ground. 

Dong~ The midnight bell was struck, signifying the late hour of the night. Ji Hyo had finally finished her duties, arms aching with dried blood painted all over. She looked at her arms, biting her lip as it began to sting. She stepped out into the palace yards, the eerie darkness and quietness made her arms tremble. She looked around the buildings, trying to see if the nameplates but most of them were gone or rubbed off. //Library....Library...// She thought over and over again whilst walking down the path, gazing at the large buildings. released a sigh, concluding that she was indeed lost in the large palace. Her eyes moved around and caught sight of the glistening waters of the pond. 

Ji Hyo sat herself among the rocks, eyeing the reflection of the stars from the water. Silently, tears trickled down her cheeks, her mind flooded with thoughts. Her silent cries soon became sobbing as she gazed to the bright stars. Wrapping her arms around her legs, she spoke a prayer.


In the King's study...

"Abamama, I bid you good night." The Crown Prince spoke, bowing farewell to his father. The King had called his son to discuss the recent political events and they had talked through the whole night. 

"Good Night Crown Prince." The King nodded, dismissing him before letting his gaze return to the documents he had to read. 

The Prince stepped outside, shuddering from the cold air. "The stars are bright tonight, Jae Suk-ah." He commented, looking at his guard and then to the stars above. 

Jae Suk turned his head at the comment and smiled, "Yes, Your Highness..They are beautiful.". He paused to admire the beauty of the sky, continue to speak while turning to face the prince. "Your Highness, It is late. We should return to the East Palace."

The Crown Prince flicked his eyes at him and agreed with a sigh, walking down the steps and down the path that lead to his chambers. Following accordingly behind him was his guards and attendants. 

As they walked through walked through the gardens he turned his head to an unfamilliar sound. He held up his hand, stopping his entourage from moving further. 

"Do you hear that Jae Suk-ah.." Jong Kook asked, tilting his head, trying to find the source of the sound. 

Jae Suk was silent, straining his ears to hear what his highness was speaking about. "Sounds like a voice, Your Highness... Who would be awake at this hour?"  Jae Suk instantly grabbed his sword, preparing to draw it out. 

"No need for that... Sounds like a girl." The Prince placed his hand in front of his guard, telling him to remain where he was much to Jae Suk's displeasure. Moving forward, he peeped around the corner, the words being said by the girl clearer. In the moonlight, he could make out a young girl's figure, sitting ontop of the rocks by the pond he favoured. 

He listened quietly, taking in her words.

"Eomeoni....Have you been well? I am no longer with Abeoji... He has abandoned me....I am now here... In this palace...I want to be with Eomeoni." The girl paused and let out a sob before continuing."Eomeoni... Please help me.. Take me away... I want to be with you..." 

Jong Kook felt his heart clench at her prayer, knowing exactly how the girl felt. But for a child like her to speak in such a way made him even more curious.  He stopped his thoughts when a soft melody was hummed by the same girl. 


Ji Hyo hummed a soft tune, wiping her tears away. With a clear and gentle voice she recited a poem she had learnt from Dong Hoon's mother, a poem that had reassured her when she felt upset. 

" In this world, to have a mother was a blessing.
  Mothered children were treasured.
  Being embraced by a mother gave abundant happiness."

Ji Hyo finished the first part of the poem, a small smile on her lips as she recalled her mother. But to every poem there was a contrasting plot. 

"In this world, to not have a mother is difficult.
 Children without mothers are like grass.
 Stepped on by others.
 Without a mother's embrace, how will one find happiness?" 

She ended, the tears forming once again. Turning her head, she was about to continue her search for the library when she spotted someone watching her.


The girl's poem was so beautiful, the words forming together so perfectly. This made Jong Kook intrigued by her and even more shocked that a girl that young could know such words. The poem to him wasn't one he has heard which was odd since he had studied poetry for many years. He was so absorbed with his thoughts that he hadnt noticed the girl stand and look at him. 

Finally noticing her stare, it was a bit late since she was now walking towards him. Her features became clearer as she approached making the prince stare in awe. She was a beauty, smooth skin that was slightly tanned, hair neatly tied back into a braid, too think she was only a child made him mentally slap himself for eyeing her carefully. But what made him like this child was her large brown eyes that stared up at him wonderingly yet they seemed familliar, had he seen her before?

"Who are you, sir." the girl asked, not bowing or addressing him with his title, how rude. He cleared his throat and was waiting for her to perhaps notice who he was but she remained staring with a blank face. Did she really not know? 

"Me? I think I have more rights knowing who are you." He retorted, folding his arms behind his back, as he awaited her reply. 

The child bowed to him slightly, "I am Song Ji Hyo, a slave from the kitchen." She said scratching her arm making it sting. 

//A slave?// He thought, how could a child be a slave... He held his thoughts when he noticed her arms making his jaw drop in shock. "Y..Your arms! What happened to them?" He asked gazing horrificly at the slices and cuts on her small arms. 

The girl seemed at a loss at first as though she forgot she had arms. "Ah.. These? The soldier ahjussi gripped me strongly." She said pointing at the rashes on her elbows. "These were because the Chef ahjussis placed their knives in water and I didnt see them.." She said, her voice fading into a soft whisper. 

The Prince stared in disbelief. He had never known that children were hired as slaves or that they were treated this badly. "How could they..." He muttered before taking the child's hand. "Come with me, the imperial physician will help." He guided her back to his guard and attendants.

"What? Your Highness, she is a mere slave, why are you helping her?" Jae Suk asked staring at the young girl.

"Slave or not she is an injured child. Have a heart Jae Suk-ah." 

Jae Suk scoffed. //Who are you to tell me to have a heart... Cold Prince.// He thought angrily, following after the Prince who was walking towards the empty chambers. 


Heres this chapter! Yay spartace meet! But no romantic feelings since Ji Hyo is only 12 and Jong Kook is 17, wait till they are a little older :P. Btw the poem is actually a song my mother use to sing to me, it was in chinese but I translated it to English and shortened it. Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Next chapt: Ji Hyo is healed and a time skip?