Chapter 13

Kings and Queens

Clink~ The sound of two glasses tapping against each other was deafened by the chattering of the other customers in the tavern. The three men that sat on the table outside were staring at one another with narrowed stares. Only two of the three were holding the small glasses, bringing it to their lips with a smirk. With one swing, they gulped down their glasses, feeling the rice wine gush down their throats. 

"One." Counted Kwang Soo as he refilled their glasses only for them to finish it quickly. "Two."

Jong Kook gripped his glass tightly as Kwang Soo poured their 3rd glass, waiting for his opponent to be ready as well. Out of nowhere, Ji Hyo came walking in with a confused expression. 

"What in the world is happening here?" She asked looking at the two men who wouldn't even break their gaze with each other for even a moment. Kwang Soo gestured to the seat beside him, offering it to her. 

"These two are having a drink off." He explained as she sat down beside him, worriedly looking at the filled glasses. 

"What for?" She asked but was ignored as they had finished their 3rd glass and Kwang Soo was already rushing to fill them up. 

The night slowly went on, the sound of the chattering slowly ebbing as people left the tavern when the night got dark. Soon the only people left were the four of them, sitting around the table. Ji Hyo had her head laid on the table, atop of her folded hands, bored eyes watching the two drunk men. Kwang Soo had the same dull look, nodding off his sleepiness. The only two that were struggling to stay awake were Dong Hoon and Jong Kook. They were slumped to one side, waving their empty glasses in the air. 

"30.... And we are out of wine." Kwang Soo mumbled tipping the bottle upside down, showing them it was empty. 

"Hmph... I win." Dong Hoon hiccuped pointing drowsily at Jong Kook. 

"No~ I win." Jong Kook giggled leaning his head to one side. 

The two began to release a long series of giggles, too drunk to think about anything. After a few moments they both went silent as they both had fallen asleep, Dong Hoon flat against the table and Jong Kook leaning against Ji Hyo, making her wake up from her rest. 

"Jong Kook-ssi..." She mumbled, positioning him to sit upright only for him to flop against her. She let out a sigh and tiredly dragged him to his feet, grateful that he was somewhat awake enough to stand on his two feet. "I will see you around Kwang Soo-ah." She said bidding farewell to Kwang Soo and passed out Dong Hoon. 

"Alright Ji Hyo." Kwang Soo said seeing her drag the nobleman away, out of his sight. With a heavy grunt, the teenager lifted Dong Hoon to his feet, half-dragging and half-carrying him along, down the dirt path that lead to the older man's house. "Aish... This hyung-nim... always being such a pain." he muttered. 


Ji Hyo had barely managed to lift Jong Kook up onto the saddle of the horse, letting him lay across the horse's back with his limbs dangling off the sides. She wiped the sweat off her forehead and held the reigns in her hands, unwilling to ride since she had no knowledge of riding horses. Patting the horse, she guided it back to the private residence they had came from, glad that she had paid attention to the roads when they rode. After a long walk, she tied the horse to the feeding post, dragging the slumbering figure off its back and pulling it into the residence with a grunt. Her legs were aching from the walk and so were her arms from pulling him along. With one final burst of strength, she dragged him into the room where the bed spread from earlier laid. Jong Kook drunkenly stumbled and fell onto the bedspread, pulling Ji Hyo down with him. She let out a yelp as she was yanked down onto the floor beside him before backing away. 

"Ji..Hyo.." Jong Kook mumbled in his sleep, curling himself up into a ball. Ji Hyo turned to look at him, looking at his messed hair, his peaceful expression whenhe slept. She shuffled towards him, gazing at his featured, taking her finger she traced it down the bridge of his nose ever so slightly only letting the tip touch his skin. Her fingers ran over his lips, his soft lips that felt as though they haven't been used in a while. Ji Hyo smiled and pulled her hand away , letting her gaze linger on him for a little while longer before standing up painfully. Within moments, she had pulled out another set of bed spread and blankets and placed it beside Jong Kook's, making sure to keep a space between them yet close enough that when she reached out her arm she could brush against his cheek. 

Ji Hyo settled herself under her blankets, untying her long hair so that it covered her shoulders and went all the way down her back. She turned to her side so that she faced the King, letting his charming looks put her to sleep.... and it did. 


The next morning, Jong Kook awoke with a massive headache, a throbbing pain in the left side of his head. He winced as he propped himself up slowly, taking in his surroundings, quite unsure where he was. He turned and was quite shocked to see a hair-covered girl laying a few meters away from him. Using a hand, he brushed away the hair from the lady's face, only realizing it was his attendant. Even in the morning she was a beauty, already making him smile to himself. He stood up and stretched himself out, twisting his back so that his spine cracked satisfyingly. With a sigh he turned his gaze to the sound of a knocking at the residence's door. 

He took a step outside, sure to shut the door tightly behind him before opening the gates to the entrance. Standing outside was no one but his loyal guard, Jae Suk. Jae Suk bowed towards him and parted his mouth to speak, "Good Morning, Your Majesty." He greeted before being ushered in by the King. "General Ji told me I could find you here. I did not know you had left for the night, you should have told me, Your Majesty." He said with a worried look as he observed the residence, amazed by its beauty.

"Ah... Sorry about that. I only told him and a couple retainers.. I wanted it to be a private outing." He explained glancing at the door to the room nervously before facing Jae Suk once more with an awkward smile. 

"Well Lady Jung and Maeri have been stressed out the whole night knowing you were gone, Your Majesty." Jae Suk replied walking towards the only room in the area and reaching out to open the door. 

"Ah Jae Suk! Come and look at the gardens!" Jong Kook quickly said, stopping his guard from opening the doors and pulling him to the back where the gardens were blooming with flowers. Jae Suk, who was taken aback by the sudden action was in awe at the beauty and colours of the place, looking wonderingly at the scenery.

"It is gorgeous. So did you stay here alone, Your Majesty?" Jae Suk asked turning around to face the King. 

"Uh... Yes." Jong Kook replied slowly as they walked back to the main yard together. At that exact moment, the doors from the room were pulled opened as Ji Hyo stepped outside, directly facing the King and his guard. 

"Y-You!" Jae Suk cried in disbelief, eyes wide as though they were going to pop out of his head. He pointed at her with an outstretched hand, his mouth agape yet no words could be formed as he processed the scene. 

Jong Kook came in front of him and shook his hands frantically. "No! No! Jae Suk-ah! Don't misunderstand!" He hastily said looking between Ji Hyo and Jae Suk with wide eyes. Meanwhile, Ji Hyo just stared at both of them with a blank expression, unsure of what was happening.

"Your Majesty! You slept with her?" Jae Suk exclaimed, cupping his hand over his mouth. 

"No! NO! It isn't like that!" Jong Kook tried to explain but couldn't figure out how to say what happened without being misunderstood. 

Ji Hyo finally realized what was happening and also joined Jong Kook in frantically shaking her hands towards the guard. "Ahjussi! His Majesty and I did nothing! I swear! How could a lowly servant like me do such things?!" She hurriedly spoke, lowering her head, feeling her cheeks get hot at the thought. 

"B..B.But! You two were in the same room!" Jae Suk stuttered, still unable to comprehend the situation and was just standing there stunned. 

Ji Hyo felt helpless in trying to explain and finally after long minutes of explaining from Jong Kook, Jae Suk nodded grimly. "Ah I see..." he muttered gazing between the King and the servant. "I think it is best if we return today, Your Majesty" He said after understanding. "I will return Ji Hyo-ssi first to avoid suspicion." He added gesturing for the servant to come with him.

Ji Hyo sat up and shuffled after him with her head low, bowing once to the King. "Your Majesty..." She awkwardly bidded farewell before walking outside, where she mounted a waiting horse, sitting behind Jae Suk. Flicking the reigns, the horse broke into a fast pace gallop as they travelled back to the palace. After leaving Ji Hyo in the palace, Jae Suk was riding back to the residence. 

//His Majesty must have had ulterior motives in dragging that servant all the way out here...// he thought as he hopped off his horse, making his way into the residence. He dipped his head to the waiting King before walking outside with him, biting his tongue as he was debating wether or not to ask. "Your Majesty..." he began as soon as they both had mounted their own horses. 

"Yes?" The King said turning towards his guard, clicking his tongue at the horse so that it walked slowly. Jae Suk did the same and now both their horses walked side by side slowly. 

"I was wondering... What was your plans when you invited Ji Hyo-ssi to the residence, Your Majesty?" Jae Suk asked quietly, warily looking at the King. 

The King was quiet for a while, thinking about his original plan for the day and how it had failed. 

"Were you planning on sleeping with her?" Jae Suk asked seeing Jong Kook not responding. 

Jong Kook looked ahead and with a soft voice that was almost a whisper, he said:

"I planned to make her mine."


Ta-Da! 13th chapter done! Since I promised 3 chapters in a row... Here is the 2nd out of the 3! Haha! Most of you thought Ji Hyo was going to get drunk but nope! Its the Commander!