Chapter 14

Kings and Queens

It was a blissfuk morning in the palace. The sun shining brightly behind thin clouds while the sparrows chirped in greeting to the fellow workers that rose early. Palace servants were yawning their sleepiness away, stretching themseleves awake in the cool breeze. Among these awake servants laid a sleeping figure, unmoved by the movements of others and snoozing on without much care. 

"Should we wake her?" one of the other attendants asked whilst folding her blankets neatly. The rest of the palace attendants had woken up long ago and were busy getting ready but after they had finished what they needed to do, they had judt realized their fellow friend was still asleep under her covers 

"I feel bad if we do." Responded another attendant that busied herself with braiding back her long hair. She tied in her ribbon and looked over to the blanketed attendant wondering if waking her up would be the best choice. 

"Last time... Someone woke her up and they ended up with scars and scratches" Chimed in the youngest attendant who spoke with wide eyes as though the sleeping attendant were a monster. Her statement made the others gasp in horror making all of them huddle together, away from the snoozing girl. 

"Alright. Rock Paper Scissors! Loser wakes her." Said the oldest attendant, looking at the others with a determined stare. They hesistantly agreed with a nod and prepared themselves in a circle for this game. 

"Rock Paper Scissors!" Said all of them at the same time, tossing out their hands, everyone holding out what they hoped would allow them to win. They reacted quickly, their eyes scanning each others hands, calculating the wins and losses. All the girls cheered in hushed voices, all except one of them who stared at her hand that showed paper. She was the younger sister of Maeri and was only a couple years apart, nonetheless she was quite shocked that she was unluckily forced to wake up the sleeping attendant. 

"Go on!" Urged the oldest attendant, giving her a gentle shove towards the sleeping figure. She gulped down in fear and had a moment of a mental breakdown before fighting her fear and approaching carefully. She held her breath and knelt down beside the sleeping Ji Hyo, looking at her and the others worriedly. 

"Ji Hyp-ssi" she called in a small voice, barely a whisper. There was no response from Ji Hyo making her sweat a bit more. "Ji Hyo-ssi!" She called slightly louder, this time poking her with a finger. Ji Hyo released a groan making the kneeling attendant jump back in fright. Taking careful steps away, she bellowed in the loudest voice she could muster, "Wake up Ji Hyo-ssi!!" 

With that, Ji Hyo stirred awake, clear displeasure on her face as she squinted in the morning light. She shot a glare at the attendants that stood huddled closely and combed back her messy hair. With a tired yawn, she sat up and just sat there for a long while, still in her dreamland. The sound of scurrying footsteps made her wake up from her dreams and turn her head towards the doorway where a tired looking Maeri came bustling through, panting heavily. 

"Yah! Why are you still asleep?! Get up!" Maeri shouted, heaving from her run, wiping away the sweat that formed at her hairline with her sleeve. She marched over to the dazed Ji Hyo and yanked her out of bed, making the girl flustered, instictively covering herself since she only wore the thin nightgown. "Hurry up and change!" Maeri added leaving her to go join the other attendants, ushering them outside. Within moments, Ji Hyo joined them quickly, afraid to feel the wrath of Maeri's anger hence getting ready in the speed of light. 

"Come on, the King can't be waiting on us." Maeri hurriedly spoke, rushing off towards the Imperial Palace with the other attendants scurrying behind, trying to keep up with her fast pace. 


"Your Majesty." General Ji greeted as he entered the King's study room, wrinkling his nose at the strong stench of alcohol that reeked from the pile of clothes nearby. "I see you have busied yourself with drinks." He added taking steps towards the reading King. 

The King looked up from his political letters and fixated his eyes on the General before moving them back down on the papers. "Ah.. Well I had a good reason to." He muttered unwilling to say the true reason was because of a contest with some scholar in the village. He cleared his throat and turned to the General, "Any reason for visiting?" He asked, changing the topic briskly. 

The General cocked a brow at the topic change but didnt bother to ask, not like he could anyways. "The ministers have gathered at the Hall for a meeting. They request your audience, Your Majesty." He said dipping his head.

"Now? Well I guess I have to go then." The King said standing up from his seat, a little grateful that he has a chance to leave his study for a while. He marched outside and nodded his head to the waiting attendants and his guard. "I have a meeting to attend to." He explained shortly, making his way down the steps and onto the paved path. The palace maidens followed him with Jae Suk leading directly in front. Together, they walked towards the assembly hall where the ministers sat waiting for his arrival. 

Jong Kook entered the hall to be greeted by the greetings of the ministers whom bowed their heads deeply towards him. He nodded in response, letting them settle back into their seats. He was about to sit on his throne when he realised his father had sat himself upon it. Confused he looked at him with a blank face, wondering why was his retired father sitting there, was the matter that important? 

"Sit Jong Kook-ah." The retired King ordered, gesturing towards the chair next to the throne. Jong Kook sat down with many questions in his head and was about to ask them when his father spoke instead. "You must be wondering why I am here. Well today's matter requires my imput and infact, I brought up this matter myself." He said with a smirk, turning away from his son to look at the ministers. 

"What is the reason?" Jong Kook asked, leaning forward in his seat, eager to hear the big news. 

"It has come to my attention and the minister's attention that you do not have a wife." 

Jong Kook's eyes widened, knowing exactly where this was heading and immediately narrowed his eyes in annoyance. 

One of the ministers sat up and looked at the King with a calmed expression, "Your Majesty! A queen would be beneficial to the government!" He said loudly. 

"Without one, our nation will be corrupted and the bloodline of royals may not prevail!" Chimed in another minister. 

Jong Kook clenched his fists and with a loud and furiated voice, he shouted. "Enough! How dare you tell me wether or not I should get a Queen! The government has been fine without one for the past years!" Finishing his statement, he glared at his father, indicating his last point with spite. 

The retired king looked over with the same level of irritance towards him. "That was the past! Now it is a new era with YOU as King! Every King should have a Queen!" 

"Why should I have one just because you said so?! You have retired! Your words are not considered anymore!" Jong Kook yelled back, receiving stares and murmurs from the ministers but he didnt care for his anger was solely on his father. 

"Wether I am King or not, I am your father! And as your father, I say you should be wedded to a Queen! Someone you can love and trust!" 

"Then why didnt you love mother?" Jong Kook said with a sharp glare, unwilling to back down from the arguement. He clenched his fist against the arm rests of the chair, making his knuckled turn white. 

The retired king was enraged by the comments his son spat at him, his blood boiling with the crude statements. "ENOUGH! You are to be wedded to a respected lady! The wedding is next week!" He shouted turning to the frightened ministers that sat in silence. "Listen to me now! My son will be married off by next week! Send out the announcement today!" Nobody dared to object him, immediately bowing their heads in agreement. Although he was retired, his power and title was still there and as a father, what he says goes. 


Jong Kook stormed out of the hall with anger, his face had turned red from the agressive arguement he had just lost. Jae Suk noticed his expression and stood nervously to the side, nobody daring to speak to the angered King. Without a word, he stalked off towards his study, not even batting an eye at the ministers who left the assembly hall, whispering to each other.

By luck, Jae Suk overheard the topic by two chattering ministers and was shocked at what he had heard. //MARRIED?!// he thought, remembering the lady the King had admired. He followed the angry king and his attendants back to the study, thinking about the news. The King slammed the door to his study shut, almost breaking its frail frame. 

Jae Suk let out a sigh and glanced pitifully towards Ji Hyo, she was giggling with some other attendants, oblivious to what happened. He let out another sigh and rubbed his temples painfully, feeling sorry for the King. Ji Hyo indeed was a beautiful maiden and was deemed intelligent by her fellow attendants after they heard her poetry and writing skills. She would be a perfect choice if it weren't for her lowborn background.

How cruel the world was when it came to love.


Yea! 3 chapters in a row like I promised!! Haha I got a lot of comments saying I accidentally hid the chapters. Well technically I deleted the 'not a chapter' chapter because I wanted to write the 12th chapter. And because I wanted to post 3 chapters in a row, I hid all of them. Sorry for the confusion guys ^.^" Hope you had a good time reading all 3! I know they are quite short but like I said, I am quite busy recently because of the holidays. I will TRY to post daily but no promises. Anyways... Oh No!!! Why must it always be a Love Triangle?! Next Chapt: The Wedding.