Chapter 2

Kings and Queens

"My princess is home!" sang a motherly voice as the woman hugged her daughter who seemed rather motionless and quiet. "Is something wrong dear?" She asked concerned, brushing away the loose strands from Ji Hyo's face. 

"Madame..." A quiet voice peeped from the outside as two heads slid into view. 

"Yes Dong Hoon-ah?" Replied Ji Hyo's mother, turning to face the two boys, her hair settling on her shoulder. 

Dong Hoon and Kwang Soo shuffled into the hut slowly, bowing respectfully to the mother. There was an awkward silence where neither said anything but after being elbowed in the arm by Dong Hoon, Kwang Soo spoke, "Ji Hyo almost got killed!"

The mother went pale, "W..What?!" she huffed in disbelief, not even waiting for his answer to turn to Ji Hyo. She cupped her daughter's face, checking for a slightest scratch, she examined her small arms and legs. Relief washed over her when she realised Ji Hyo was fine. 

"Eomeoni..." Ji Hyo said quietly, looking at her feet, chewing on her lip. 

"Lee Kwang Soo! Oh! This kid!" Dong Hoon exploded, dragging the skimpy long legged boy out by the ear. "Sorry Madame, forgive us." He politely said, pulling the squirming maknae away. He released him when they were out of earshot. "YAH! Are you dumb? Why would you say it like that!" He scolded poking Kwang Soo's head.

"But its the truth!" Kwang Soo said innocently only to be hit across the head with a sandal.

"AISH! This kid..." Dong Hoon muttered under his breath, picking up his sandal and dusting it off. "Your head is as hollow as a log!" He spat childishly, making his way back to his own mother. Kwang Soo was left standing alone, massaging his poor head. 

"Geez... These two only bully me..." He whined, noticing the sun had already gone past the mountains, leaving an eery darkness. Slightly alarmed, he ran back to his parents.

Meanwhile..

"Ah...So our Ji Hyo was accidentally accused of being disrespectful?" A calm voice spoke, belonging to a well aged man. He patted his beloved daughter's head, after hearing her explain what had happened. His wife was busy serving their dinner but had listened when she could and came to kiss Ji Hyo on her head.

"Abeoji... Eomeoni... You aren't mad?" Ji Hyo said softly, raising her brows at her parents. She hid her arms behind back, keeping her head low but was curious enough to gaze wonderingly at them. 

"Ji Hyo-Ah... Why would we be mad? It was an accident." Her mother replied, placing a bowl of rice in from of each of them. 

"Yes my dear child. Eomeoni and I aren't mad at all." Her father spoke with a smile but seeing his daughter still quiet and solemn. He smirked and reached out his arms towards her. "Alright. Abeoji is mad that you aren't smiling!" He laughed, beginning to tickle her belly. 

Ji Hyo's eyes widened with glee before shutting them tightly, a trail of high pitch squeals and laughter slipping off her tongue. "Ahaha! Abeoji! Stop! Hahaha! Eomeoni! Help!" She laughed, wrapping her arms around her belly, attempting to prevent further tickling. 

Her mother laughed at the two, before prying them apart with slight force. "Alright you two. If you both don't eat than I will be mad!" She grinned, placing a plate of beansprouts in front of them. 

Her father chuckled, settling down in his seat. He picked up a broken pair of chopsticks and ate hungrily, meals like this was a fortune for him. 

Her parents ate without a word, but Ji Hyo simply stared at her bowl of rice, unmoving.

"Ji Hyo-Ah, Have you forgotten how to eat?" Her father asked with a smile. 

"No Abeoji... " Ji Hyo pressed her lips together, debating wether or not to say. Truth is, she had seen other kids eat meat and drank delicous soup whereas she had only ever eaten rice and beansprouts. She always wanted to bring it up but didnt wish to burden her parents, she was old enough to know that as a family, they were poor. But was it okay for her to say what she really wanted? Ji Hyo turned to her mother and hesistantly spoke, "Eomeoni... My birthday is coming up... " She started, testing the waters of the conversation.

Her mother stopped eating and looked at her child. "Thats right. What would you like Ji Hyo-Ah?" she asked. She felt sorry for her child, for never being able to provide what other parents could, so she deemed herself a bad mother. But at least on Ji Hyo's birthday, she pushed herself to be the best mother and get what Ji Hyo wanted no matter the difficulty. 

"I would like to eat Ginseng Soup." Ji Hyo said with a hopeful tone, gazing up at her mother. Yes, Ginseng soup wasn't spectacular or exeptionally delicous but she was tired of beansprouts that anything would be good.

Her mother pondered for a while. Last time she spotted ginseng was on the mountain face, guess she will have to climb at sunrise. "Sure! Ginseng Soup for Ji Hyo~" she grinned, pinching Ji Hyo's cheeks. 

Her father cheered, also wanting to try the Ginseng Soup. "Our Ji Hyo is turning 11 and she is asking for Ginseng Soup!" he laughed hugging his daughter tightly.

Ji Hyo looked at her parents and laughed as well, wrapping her arms tightly around her father while planting a kiss on her mother's cheek. 

The night ended happily for the Song family.

But happiness doesnt go for everyone.


In the Palace...

"GET OUT!" 

A loud voice echoed the East Palace, making all the servants gaze at each other worringly. 

"Your highness... Please calm down..." pleaded a frantic servant, waving her hands at the outraged Prince. 

"GET OUT BEFORE I BEHEAD ALL OF YOU!" The Crown Prince raged, picking up the nearest book and throwing it with all his might. He didnt aim for the servant but at the door, trying to get his point across. 

"CROWN PRINCE!" A voice roared loudly as none other than the King appears. He glared at his son, nothing but anger shown on his face. 

The Prince looked at his father with spite, still angry but he dropped the book he had picked up to throw. He bowed to his father, "Abamama..." He greeted.

The King sat across his son, lacing his fingers before placing them on the table, cleanching them slightly. "Crown Prince... What is the matter with you..." he sighed, closing his eyes with exhuastion. 

The prince sat cross legged, looking at his father, listening with no interest. "Abamama... I miss Eomeoni..." He admitted, fighting back the tears he had kept for so long. His breathing grew quicking as his eyes were reddened from being teary.

The King gazed at his son pitifully, burying his face in his palms  with agony. The memory of his beloved wife hurts him, she didnt deserve to die. He regretted not loving her, to not cherish her, afterall she had done, he didnt love her. She had blessed him a son and even still he couldnt be a good father. "Crown Prince... " He manage to say in a low voice, calling to his son, attempting to reassure him. How could he reassure him when he himself was so frail.

"I miss Eomeoni... I...I.. I want to see her..." The Prince released his long awaited tears, the drops rolling down his cheek, blurring his vision. "Eomeoni..." He cried, shutting his eyes, praying for a miracle. 

The King moved around the table and pulled the Prince into his embrace, patting his back slowly. No words were needed, this was the first fatherly act he had done and he wished his son knew how much he loved him. 

The Prince cried against his father, feeling like a lost child who needed to be by his parents side forever. After a couple moments, he stopped crying and went limp, dozing off in exhuastion. The King lifted his son's head to see him sleeping. He sighed and quietly ordered the servants to make the beds. He laid the Prince down and let out a heavy sigh before getting up and exiting the palace. 

The King didnt go to his chambers and wandered around by the pond, gazing at the stars. //My Queen... If you can hear me... Forgive me for being such a terrible husband and father... Forgive me for making our son be like this...Forgive me for not being there when you were sick... Forgive me for not loving you when you were by my side.... Goodnight My Queen...// He thought, sending his message to the place above, hoping his Queen had received it. 


Okay! So 2 chapters down and Im already enjoying writing this. This story might be a long one so I try to keep chapters short and straight to the point although I kinda side-tracked with this one. I wanted to show the backstory of Prince Jong Kook and The King but got carried away >.<". Next chapter is Ji Hyo's birthday!! Oh and for those wondering, Jong Kook and Ji Hyo wont meet till couple chapters in, I'm still building their characters right now :D