Chapter 21

Kings and Queens

It was a bright day for all the citizens of the nation. Everyone was busy working hard in the afternoon heat, selling, farming, harvesting and doing what they needed to do. 

The newly crowned concubine however was still in her chambers, sleeping. Yes, even though it was the afternoon, she still slept soundly, tucked under her blankets. She had removed her accessories from her hair and placed them on her table, allowing her hair to messily cover her face as she slept. Her clothes were taken off and tossed aside, the only thing preventing her from being completely was her blanket which she comfortably wrapped around her. 

What a sight was what most of her attendants thought when they tip toed in to check on their mistress. They held their breaths and left her to sleep, hoping she doesn't sleep for the whole day. Well, she could have slept for the whole day if it weren't for the King who happened to be walking past her residence 'coincidentally'. 

He actually had woken up hours prior to do his daily exercise in the gardens, finishing his routine with heavy panting and breathing. Sweat dripped from his forehead as one of his attendants passed him a towel, letting him dab away the signs of his hard work. Having finished exercising, he planned to eat lunch with the beautiful concubine of his although he swore it was an accident that he stumbled into her residence. 

He walked up the steps leading to her chambers, seeing her attendants bow towards him with worried glances. 

"Is she busy?" He asked, trying to hide his anxiousness but was already smiling widely. 

"Y..Your Majesty.... My Lady... is still...asleep." Her attendant said quietly, lowering her gaze. 

"Asleep?!" Jong Kook exclaimed, causing his attendants to chuckle at the news. For them, they knew that she slept through anything and to see the king find out about her sleeping behaviour caused them to giggle. 

Ji Hyo was still sleeping soundly even after the King had entered her chambers. He gaped at her, shocked that she could be asleep in the middle of the afternoon sun. Carefully, he walked over to her side and sat down beside her, chuckling at the sight of her hair covered face. With a gentle hand, he brushed away the strands, smiling when her milky skin could be seen. He continued brushing away the strands of hair until her face was clear and uncovered. It wasn't clear to him that she had actually woken up whilst he was brushing her hair but simply pretended to sleep due to the fact she liked his touch against her skin. 

"My King... What are you doing here at this hour..." She sighed contently, a smile on her lips as she still had her eyes closed. Jong Kook jolted back in suprise at her voice and hurriedly pulled his hand away, slightly embarassed. 

Without a thought, Ji Hyo sat up, her blanket falling off of her as she did so, uncovering her bare torso. She had forgotten she was unclothed and continued to stretch with a sigh. Jong Kook on the other hand turned a bright red at the sight of her bare chest and gulped down his saliva. He couldn't help his masculine instincts as his eyes were glued onto her... . Ji Hyo turned to him with a smile but soon raised a brow when she saw him staring at her oddly. Following the trail of his eyes, she looked down and widened her own eyes at herself. 

Frantically, she grabbed her blanket and pulled it around her, covering herself up rather quickly, much to Jong Kook's disappointment. He was snapped out of the trance when she covered herself and looked back at her with a cheeky smile, wiggling his brows at her. She looked at him with slightly pink cheeks from blushing. 

"You hid yourself rather quickly, my dear." Jong Kook teased with a seductive stare at her making her roll her eyes at him. "You are mine you know... So there is no reason to hide what you have." 

Ji Hyo shot a look at him, "I hid myself quicly from your erted gaze..." She mumbled adjusting the blanket around her. Hearing his next statement she flushed a brighter pink, "Well... I.. I.. " She stuttered, her mind going blank for the moment.

Jong Kook chuckled and inched closer, leaning in closely, his breath hot against her cheeks as he wrapped his fingers around the top of the blanket. He glanced at her and seeing her make no effort to stop him, he slowly tugged it down until....

"Your Majesty!" An urgent voice broke their moment as the doors swung open and the silouette of a guard could be seen behind the rice paper curtain. Jong Kook widened his eyes and hurriedly picked up the blanket he had just pulled off her and wrapped it around her defensively.

It was Jae Suk that was lucky enough to stumble into the scene, his eyes catching the exact moment Jong Kook pulled the blanket up around the flustered concubine. 

"Have some respect, Jae Suk-ah!" Jong Kook shouted angrily, moving in front of Ji Hyo and hiding her behind his back. He glanced back at her, seeing her cheeks turn a bright red as she awkwardly hid her body with the blanket, trying to hide herself completely behind the King.

"My sincere apologies Your Majesty and My Lady." Jae Suk said hurriedly, feeling his own cheeks heating up from the scene. He cleared his throat and focused to say what he needed to, "The emissary of China has arrived and wishes to meet you. I will be outside waiting... Do take your time" He said dragging out the last words with a smirk before hurrying out the door, shutting it tightly behind him.  

As soon as the doors were shut, Jong Kookt turned around to face the shy Ji Hyo who covered half her face with the blanket. He gave a reassuring smile as he whispered, "He is gone now..."

Ji Hyo peeked out of her hiding and nodded glumly, looking up at the King with big round eyes. He smiled and planted a kiss on her forehead before moving away to notice the tosses clothes piled in the corner. He chuckled and bent over to pick them up, handing them to her with a grin. "Get dressed alright? I have to go out for a while." He sighed as she took the clothes from him. He caressed her face with his hand as he relucantly stood to leave. Her hand suddenly gripped onto his, preventing him from taking anymore steps. 

He turned ot look at her holding onto him with pleading eyes, her soft hand felt so small in his. "Don't go..." She said quietly. He smiled at her cuteness and knelt down since she was still sititng on her bedspread. 

"I will come back by tomorrow. Promise~" He grinned. She looked at him with a frown before reaching up to peck him on the lips. 

"You made a promise, Your Majesty!" She said with a laugh before disappearing under her blankets to change into her clothes.

He stood up and chuckled at her playfulness. "Yes ma'am!" He replied loudly before hesistantly leaving her chambers but wore a big smile on his lips as he exited. Jae Suk looked at him with a smirk as they made their way down the steps. 

"So.... Your Majesty... and... Her Ladyship..." He began, breaking out into whistling a tune as he finished. 

"Yah! What the hell are you thinking! We did... nothing!" Jong Kook shouted defensively, shoving his guard in the arm in irritance. Jae Suk laughed at him, not even caring about being shoved. "Aish... So annoying." 


Ji Hyo had changed into her attire quickly, afraid if she wasted anymore time, another person would have walked in. By the time she had finished eating her 'lunch' it was already the late evening so technically it was her dinner. 

Her doors were drawn back and her guard stepped out from behind the rice paper curtain with a courteous smile. 

"Dong Wook-ah~" She called cheerfully, beckoning him to sit across her. He grinned and dipped his head as he sat down. "How may I help you?"

Dong Wook smiled and looked at her, admiring her cheerful expression. "Ah, My Lady. I have just come to check on you. Is everything alright?" He asked shyly, looking at the ground.

"Of course. Not a single thing wrong." Ji Hyo replied closing the book she had been reading, bookmarking it with a loose peice of paper. "By the way... Have you and the others eaten your dinner yet? It is rather late..." she asked with a worried look. Although she knew they had to be by her side 24/7, for them to not eat was abit too much.

"Oh, My Lady. Do not worry about us...." Dong Wook responded hurriedly only to be cut off by the sudden grumbling of his belly. He blushed and looked at his belly, covering it with his hands. "Uh..." He mumbled with a lopesided smile.

"Oho~ Look at you. You must be famished. Go ahead and eat with the others." She chuckled at his funny actions. 

"How could we? We would be leaving you all alone, My Lady..." Dong Wook responded shaking his head profusely. "No. This can't do, My Lady." 

With a sigh, Ji Hyo got up from her seat, much to Dong Wook's suprise. He quickly stood up but Ji Hyo was already out the door before him. 

"Attention. It seems like most of you have not eaten yet... " Ji Hyo began, looking at her suprised attendants and guards who grimly looked at the floor, afraid to admit what she said was true, they were starving. "So therefore I dismiss you guys to go eat your dinners." She finished with a smile.

"My Lady!" cried the attendants in protest. 

"It is an order!" Ji Hyo said loudly, having adapted to use her power like the way Jong Kook had bullied her in the past. 

They looked at her helplessly before bowing gratefully to their kind hearted mistress. "Thank you so much, My Lady!" her attendants called as they bowed multiple times before hurrying off towards the kitchen. 

The only people that stayed was her guards including a defeated looking Dong Wook. "My Lady, I will sta-" 

"My Lord. We both have eaten already, you haven't eaten all day." interrupted one of the guards that stood by the sides. Ji Hyo had a total of 3 guards including Dong Wook but since he was the head of the trio, he had more duties to attend to. 

"Exactly. These two fine gentleman can watch over me. Go on and eat." Ji Hyo said triumphantly, gently pushing Dong Wook down the steps. With no words left to rebutt, he sighed and bowed deeply towards her.

"Thank you, My Lady. I shall be back soon." He said with a determined look before turning around, breaking out into a run as he tried to catch up with the others.

Ji Hyo smiled as she watched him leaving before turning to the two guards that left remaining. "Thank you to you both." She said softly.

"Anything for you, My Lady." the larger built guard said with a smile. Ji Hyo returned the grin and entered her chambers, securing the door shut behind her. 

The larger built guard turned to look at his similar looking friend with a determined look. "There is only two of us for now. Stay alert! Nothing must happen to her ladyship." He whispered in a clear voice.

His friend gazed at him and nodded, narrowing his eyes. "Understood. Her ladyship is too kind hearted. If anyone harms her, they will be harming a purely innocent lady." He replied in a harsh whisper. They both puffed out a breath of air before tightening their holds on their weapons and standing tall, looking around for any sign of danger.

A few minutes later, something happened. Two dark clothed men swung down from the rooftops, slamming against the standing guards. Taken by suprise, the guard's stumbled back and fell to their backs. With quick reflexes, they aimed punches towards the two unknown men only for them to be blocked quickly. One, two. Two slashes silenced the guards as the men stepped off them, wiping their blood stained knives against their sleeves. 

They gave each other nods of agreement and let out a whistle, imitating the cries of a bird. From the rooftop, a man flew down, agilely landing behind the two. 

"Good job boys. Stay out here and keep watch... Ill handle the lady." The man spoke a chuckle following his sentence. The other two nodded and moved to their allocated positions, eyeing the area. 

Meanwhile, the man who seemed in charge of the group, crept towards the chamber doors, pressing his ear against the door as he listened.


Ji Hyo was busying herself with reading when she heard the sounds outside. Thinking it was probably the guards fooling around she didnt bother to check and continued reading. All of a sudden she heard her door being pulled open rather slowly, emitting a creak. A man's shadow could be seen behind the curtain and she lifted her eyes off her book to examine it, bookmarking the pages with her jade bracelet this time. 

"Who is there? Dong Wook-ah?" She called out cautiously, extending her neck to try and peer around the corner. The shadow moved and peering from behind was an unknown man, dressed in all black. Ji Hyo widened her eyes and leaned back against her cushion. "Who are you?!" She shouted in alertness as the man approached closer, a smirk on his lips.

"I asked who are you?!!" She screamed. He made a lunge toward her, causing her to flail her arms against him. 

"Shut up!" The man swore through gritted teeth as he forcefully pressed a cloth against and nose. Ji Hyo made a gasp for air before going completely limp in his arms, her eyes falling shut. 

Smirking cunningly, the man examined her with cold eyes.

"What a beauty..." he whispered.

"Hee Gun Hyung! They are coming!" 


The attendants rushed back with full bellies, leading the group was a worried Dong Wook. He widened his eyes as he saw to lying figures from the distance, breaking out into a run. 

"Oh god..." He said at the sight of the murdered guards. //JI HYO!// he thought as he ran past them and broke into the chamber panting. He shoved aside the curtain and gazed in shock of the empty room. "My Lady!" he shouted as he ran back outside to see the attendants gasping at the dead guards. 

"HER LADYSHIP IS GONE!"


Oops... Late update >.<"" Hope you guys don't mind... I might be busy on Sat and Sun but will definitely try to update! Hope you like this chapter, it was abit hard to write without it sounding too boring. Hehe. I hope you guys don't find it too rushed >.<.

Here is a question for you guys:

Q: Favourite K-POP group?

My Answer: CNBLUE!! (MINHYUK OPPA <3). Some others that I like: Big Bang, 2NE1, SNSD, LesSang.