Chapter 30

Kings and Queens

A few days after the emotional meeting between Ji Hyo and the King, the day had arrived. True to his word, Jong Kook had summoned a physician to brew the tonic that will commence the process. All the while Ji Hyo sat herself in her chambers,thinking through the whole thing. There were two voices in her head at the moment, both of them arguing furiously, proving valid reasons. 

Ji Hyo's Mind...

Two voices were having a collosal battle, both screaming different opinions. 

"This abortion is the worst descision you have agreed to!"

"If we dont do this what can we do!"

"Raise the child!"

"How could we? The child isn't sired by the King!"

"Nonetheless, it has a life! How cruel of you to take it away without giving it a chance at living?" 

"It wouldn't live very long if other people had known who its father was!"

"If you cared so much about what other people think then maybe you should never ever be a mother!"

Ji Hyo shook her head as the thoughts grew darker by the minute, burying her face in her palms. She closed her eyes and released a stressed out sigh in attempt to calm herself. Clearing out her mind, she spoke outloud to herself. "Song Ji Hyo... You know this child would not be love by His Majesty... So don't let it suffer a life without a father...." She made herself clear, keeping that statement playing in her head throughout the day. 


It was a late afternoon when Ji Hyo was summoned to meet the King in the gardens. Biting her lip anxiously, she took quick steps to meet him, seeing him sit on a bench with a weary smile. Sitting herself beside him, he made a quick move to hold her hand, not like she resisted. 

"Ji Hyo-ah...Are you alright?" Jong Kook asked, his brows raised in concern at her sullen expression.

She looked at him, pressing her lips tightly before speaking in a low voice, "No, Your Majesty... I am not alright.." She said making Jong Kook adjust himself, worry starting to wash over him. "I feel sorry.... Sorry for this child." She whispered, looking down to look at her belly, touching it gently with her other hand. 

Jong Kook opened his mouth slightly, feeling as though this was a repeat from what happened previously. Truthfully, he didnt wish for her to have this child, hence him suggesting the abortion but after seeing her so affected and hurt by it, he couldn't help but feel the same. 

"But..." Ji Hyo continued, making Jong Kook turn to look back at her. "It is the best for it... Right?" She said, the last bit of her sentence turning into a question that Jong Kook wasn't sure he was meant to answer. 

"Ji Hyo-ah..." Jong Kook called, tightening his hold of her hand. No words could leave his mouth as he sat beside her, unsure of how to overcome this. 

"Wether this child would be a boy or a girl.... I am sure you would not love it as if it were your own..." Ji Hyo whispered quietly, staring at the floor with a tired look. "What would those ministers think? What would your father think? What would this whole nation think when they find out the King's wife had a child with another man!" She spoke, her voice become louder with each word. She had forgotten about the attendants and guards who were standing in a close proximity and had raised her voice loudly enough for them to hear. 

Maeri, Jung, Dong Wook and Jae Suk all glanced at each other in shock. They had known she had been abused but the truth about her pregnancy had been a secret to all of them. Maeri made a grab for Dong Wook's arm, clutching it dearly as she felt a sudden lack of air, same goes for the others who were breathing heavily at the truth. 

"Ji Hyo-ah!" Jong Kook too had raised his voice, clearly affected by her words. He gritted his teeth, his anger seething throughout his body but he barely controlled it. It wasn't her fault. 

Ji Hyo had twitched at his yell. This was the first time he had ever raised his voice at her so angrily and that just made her even more frustrated. She stood up adrubtly, yanking her hand out of his in the process. Biting back the tears that were slowly beginning to form, she spoke. "I am sorry, My King... But excuse me..." She managed to utter before turning away hastily, storming back to her chambers, her heart aching. 

Jong Kook was left alone on the bench, dumbfounded by her actions. He cursed under his breath, not at her but at himself for being such a fool. The only reason this had all begun was because of his foolishness. With a sigh, he also stood up and cleared his throat, eyeing the surrounding area before taking slow steps back to his chambers.


Ji Hyo slammed the door shut behind her, marching over to her cushion and flopping onto it, her tears free falling down her cheeks. "That Kim Jong Kook..." She muttered in anger, crossing her arms tightly across her chest. Her doors were drawn open and a worried looking Dong Wook stepped in, shutting the door carefully behind him. 

"My Lady..." He carefulyl addressed, bowing towards her even though she didnt even both to look at him. Understanding her anger, he sat himself down in front of her, wearing a small smile in hopes of cheering her up. 

"Dong Wook-ah!" She said, slamming her fists down on the table, causing her guard to jump back slightly. "Don't you think the King is rather heartless? He is such a bastard sometimes! Don't you agree?!" Ji Hyo shouted, turning herself ot face him, a determined glint in her eyes.

Dong Wook gulped as he tried to figure out how to answer that. "Well.. Uh... My Lady..." He stuttered, his eyes flicking around as he scratched his head . 

"See you agree too!" Ji Hyo stated, taking his stuttering as an actual sentence. Dong Wook tilted his head in confusion but decided it was best if he didnt say anything. "That...... Bastard.... Son of a...."

"My Lady!" Dong Wook called, panicking that she was taking things a little too far. Afterall... To say those things about your husband is rather harsh. "Please calm down... It makes everyone nervous when we see you this angry." He admitted shyly, rubbing his neck. 

"Seriously though. This isn't the only time!" Ji Hyo replied, slowly calming down but still had a tinge of fury left in her. 

Hours slowly flew by with Ji Hyo blabbering to Dong Wook about all the wrongful things Jong Kook has done. Dong Wook merely sat there and listened, not like he could have moved anywhere else. After what seemed like an eternity for Dong Wook, Ji Hyo dimissed him and coincidentally, there was someone at the door for her. 

When Dong Wook had left, an attendant walked in with a table. She merely bowed and set the table down before bowing again and leaving, not a word being uttered. Confused, Ji Hyo looked at the contents on the table and widened her eyes slightly, becoming dry. On top of the table was a bowl, filled with a tea coloured liquid but Ji Hyo instinctively knew that that was no tea. The only other item apart from the drink was a folded peice of paper, a letter presumably. 

Carefully, Ji Hyo picked it up and unfolded it, It was a letter, by the King. Focusing on the scribbled words, Ji Hyo read outloud, muttering the words to herself:

"My beloved Ji Hyo,

I am sorry for having done this to you... For having to put you through this situation..

I know that whatever I say now would not calm you down, so I will keep this short. 

If this was done correctly, along with this letter is the tonic I had informed you about. 

Now the descision is up to you wether you drink it or not.

But before you make that descision...Let me just tell you that no matter the child...

Wether it be mine or not... Wether it be a boy or girl... Wether it is blind or mute...

I will love it with all my heart. 

The same goes for you... 

Even when you are mad with me... 

Even when you hurt me...

Even when the day comes for you to stop loving me...

I will forever and ever continue to love and cherish you day by day. 

Regards, Kim Jong Kook   王"

Ji Hyo finished reading the letter, feeling as though she was going to cry again. But she didnt and folded it back up, placing it on her table carefully. Now she focused her attention to the bowl that was laid out in front of her, staring at it deeply as though it might move if she didnt. Her mind was chaotic and in a frenzy from all this but everything slowly calmed down as she shakily reached out and held the bowl. 

Her hands cupped around the sides, trembling profusely, making the liquid inside the bowl quiver as well. Closing her eyes tigthly, she held her breath as she brought the bowl to her lips, her mind having second thoughts about this. She stopped, resting the bowl against as she thought it through, thinking it twice, thrice and even four times. 

Finally with a tightly shut eyes, she tilted her head back, the bowl to her lips, drinking the liquid with a pained look.


Late update~ >.< Going on an airplane on Monday for 8 hours... Probably gonna be knocked out the whole way. zzz