Lesson Thirtysix

Interludium

Jungkook had left for home. He always told everyone that he came from a small town near Seoul, because he didn't want anyone to know that his family actually lived in the south of Korea in a small down at the coast of the Korean Strait. His family lived in a small traditional looking house. Jungkook's parents lived with his grandparents of his father's side. The time Jungkook came for his visit, also his older brother Junghyun was there, because he had his off days from his military service.
They sat all together around the table on the ground. Jungkook's mom had cooked a welcome meal for her sons. She had missed them, especially Jungkook, who was still so young and because he usually was never able to visit them while the semester was running. "It's been a while since the whole family got together", his father said happily.
"It's been two years for Jungkookie since he was home the last time", his mother mentioned.
"You weren't playing around in Seoul, were you?", his father wanted to know, but Jungkook just sat on his place, looking down. No smile on the lips and his face was pale. He didn't look like the lively boy who everyone knew.
"He's making great progress in school. He must be working hard", the mother said proudly.
"What are you going to do next year, Kookie?", Jungkook's father asked, while eating.
"Since he's not going for corporate jobs, he will have to teach students", his brother spoke up, "If he doesn't become a kindergarten teacher, he'll become the family's bad debt."
"B-b-bad debt?!", the grandfather asked surprised.
"Bad debt? What a thing to say!", his parents shouted at the same time.
"Yes, Junghyun! Watch what you say", his granny talked.
"But you've been spending loads of money on him by sending him to an expensive music academy, if in the end if doesn't lead to a job, its bad debt, right?", his brother said. His brother loved Jungkook, but siblings have times when they have quarrels.
"But what does he have besides piano?", his mother asked angrily, "He wouldn't have made it in a regular college."
"That's right! If he graduates from a music academy, people will see him as well-bred guy", his father added.
Jungkook sighed. He didn't want his family to fight because of him. He laid his chopsticks on the bowl of rice, which was still quite full. "Thank you for the meal", Jungkook mumbled and he slowly stood up.
"Jungkook, you're not eating anymore?", his granny asked surprised.
"I wonder what's wrong", his grandpa said while looking after Jungkook, who was ambling out of the room and left into his old room.
"He's been acting really strange since he is home", the father talked, "He's not really talking and looks depressed and sad and since returning home, he hasn't even touched the piano."

In Seoul the members of the dance crew had gathered in a restaurant, because they had organized a farewell party for Taehyung. They all stood around Yoongi, who had pulled Taehyung next to him. "Alright, let's pray for the efforts of all the new members, for the success of the Christmas performance and also pray for the future success of Taehyung, who's going abroad", Yoongi shouted and everyone shouted with him by clinging their glasses and so the party started.
While everyone was drinking, eating and having fun, Taehyung stood up to go outside, because it was too loud for him. "Hey Taehyung-ssi", Jin spoke up, who sat with Jimin and Hoseok, when Taehyung passed him, "Have you decided on which country you will go?"
Taehyung nodded and sat down to them. "What about you, Seokjin-ssi? You'll eventually go abroad too, right?"
"Yes. Next year, I plan to take entrance exams to some schools", he explained.
"I see... So you are going abroad too", Jimin smiled.
Taehyung stood up and walked outside. In front of the restaurant he leaned against the wall and looked up the sky. On the street near by the cars were passing by quickly and on the sidewalk lots of people were walking around, babbling to each other. "Now my job is done here. It's done", Taehyung thought, "All of it..." He sighed and tried not to think of Jungkook.
He quickly left the party, because he wanted to prepare his room a bit for leaving, since everything has to be packed. When he was home and looked around, he saw the plant, which Jungkook gave him to take care off. His look wandered to his piano, where the pocket watch laid together with the ticket for the upcoming performance. He hadn't seen Jungkook since the day of the competition's final and whenever he tried to call Jungkook, it was turned off.
"Damn it... That idiot...", Taehyung thought, "If you vanish like this, I won't be able to hear you play..."

On the next morning Yoongi, Hoseok, Namjoon and Jimin were having breakfast together in the restaurant.  They also tried to reach Jungkook, but it was for no use. Nobody could get a hold of him.
"I wonder if Jungkook is still feeling down", Namjoon said sadly.
"Is he not coming to see our Christmas performance?", Hoseok asked.
"Jungkook?", Jimin asked confused and titled his head, "Ah, you mean Taehyung's boyfriend!"
"Hey, what are you saying?!", Namjoon shouted.
"AHH!", Yoongi's father suddenly yelped, "Speaking of Kookie... I better call Taehyung." He stood up and quickly called the young man. "Ah, Taehyung-ssi?"
"What is it?", Taehyung asked through the phone.
"We started selling Christmas cakes this year."
"I don't need any."
"I already have your order", Yoongi's father talked, "Actually, Kookie ordered one. But since he suddenly went home, he told me to give it to you as a gift."
"Home?"
"He said his home was in Tongyeong, Gyeongsang Province. He said it was a big metropolitan city. Ah, and about the delivery...", Yoongi's father spoke but then his son came over and took the phone out of his father's hand.
"Hey Taehyung? We are canceling today's rehearsal", Yoongi talked.
"What?"
"Jimin is mad, because we don't have a break until Christmas. That's all. Bye now!", Yoongi said and ended the call.
"Hey, the delivery...", his father was totally surprised but his son didn't listen to him.
"What was that?", Jimin asked.
"Now, now...", Yoongi smiled and gave his boyfriend a peck, „It’s just for them. Everything will be fine, believe me!"
While Yoongi wanted to explain his plan to his friend, a man entered the restaurant. He looked curiously around and Yoongi's father greeted him like every costumer. "I'm sorry sir, we open in two hours", Yoongi's father said.
"I'm not here for eating. I'm looking for someone", the man explained.
"Who are you looking for sir?", Yoongi asked.
"I've heard Min Yoongi lives here."
"I am Min Yoongi", he answered surprised and his friends exchanged confused looks, "What do you want?"
The man looked at the table where Yoongi's friends were sitting. "Are you Kim Namjoon, Jung Hoseok and Park Jimin?", he asked and the others nodded slowly, "I am looking for all of you. I'm Han Seongjeong, talent scout from an entertainment company. But I'm also looking for Kim Seokjin and Kim Taehyung. I would like to explain everything to all of you together."

Taehyung stood confused in his room and laid the phone slowly aside as he remembered the box, which Jungkook had left behind in his apartment. He got the box out of the shelf and he started looking for the address label. After he found it, he ripped it off from the box and dressed up. He quickly got a taxi and jumped in. "Gimpo airport, please", he ordered the driver, "Oh, no! Seoul station!"
At the train station he looked for the best connection, but he couldn't find it. He asked one of the ticket seller, who told him to go to Busan first and then to take the bus. "Busan?", Taehyung asked shocked. He didn't know Jungkook's home town was that far away. But he had no choice. He took the train to Busan, where he waited for a bus, but he didn't want to waste more time waiting for it, so he decided to call a taxi. He gave the driver the address label and they started driving.
"Circumstances brought me here, but... how can I persuade him?", Taehyung thought, while sitting at the taxi's backseat, "I knew he had no interest in going pro. I also knew that he strongly disagree with any coercion. But I thought that by saying those words to him to accompany me, he'd certainly follow me." Taehyung slowly scrunched up the address label. "This is no joke! You have no idea, how much courage it took to say that! The idea that I'd take a weirdo like him... What should I do?"
Taehyung leaned back and closed his eyes. When he looked out of the window again, he saw lots of advertisement for seafood. "Excuse me. Are you sure you're going the right way?", Taehyung asked the taxi driver and the driver nodded, telling him that he was right, that Tongyeong was a small coastal city.
"So it’s not a big metropolitan city?", Taehyung thought, "I didn't think it's that far from Busan again." He tried to call Jungkook again, but the phone was still off.

At the same time Jungkook was sitting in his room as he noticed that his phone was off. When he turned it on, he saw that he have gotten over twenty messages from his teacher. "Choi seonsaengnim texted me so much", he mumbled to himself, as he recognized a message, "Pororo news?" He happily opened the message
"This is Choi, idiot!"
"Oh no!", Jungkook pouted.
"Based on Professor O'Clair's advice, one of the judges in the competition, I've sent an application to a school in France on your behalf. The exam is in February. If you want to go, hurry and contact me."
Jungkook couldn't help but smile. That means he was able to go abroad.

The taxi ran over an empty street in the middle of fields. Once in a while Taehyung could see field workers but besides that there was nothing. The amount of money increased more and more and Taehyung looked around, there was nothing familiar to him. 
"This is metropolitan?!", he thought and couldn't believe that Jungkook said something absurd like this, "He's nothing but lies! Was he also lying when he said that he entered the competition for the prize? Whenever he lied, he looked away and wasn't able to face me... he did so too the day in front of the competition hall. He too... actually..."
Suddenly his phone rang and Taehyung quickly checked the screen, which showed Jungkook's name, so he quickly answered the call. "Jungkook, is that you?"
"Yes, its Kookie", the younger one talked.
"You... Where are you now?", Taehyung asked.
"Eh? I'm in my hometown", Jungkook said, while walking along a small street at a river, "Ah, thank goodness, you are still in Korea."
"You...", Taehyung whispered. He was glad to hear Jungkook's voice but at the same time he didn't know what to say. "Where do you think I...", Taehyung spoke and suddenly stopped, because when he was looking outside he saw Jungkook, who was ambling along the street, holding his phone on his ear.
"And seonbae...", Jungkook talked while the taxi passed him, "I decided to study abroad too!"
"Opposite direction!"
"But it's still...", the taxi driver wanted to say, but Taehyung interrupted him immediately.
"Never mind, stop here!", Taehyung told the taxi driver, leaving Jungkook behind on the phone.
"Opposite?", Jungkook mumbled confused on the phone, "What do you mean seonbae? But you said that the school abroad is more suitable..."
Taehyung paid the taxi driver and jumped off the car, holding the phone back to his ear. "Are you saying that seriously?", Taehyung asked.
"Yes", Jungkook nodded and walked ahead, while Taehyung stood some meters behind him, looking at him, "I received a message from Choi seonsaengnim and he said that Professor O'Clair recommended me to a school over there."
"Which country?"
"Um... France. But I still have to take an exam and it might be a different country from yours... but I will do my best to study!", Jungkook talked and Taehyung listened carefully, "And maybe someday, just like you and Milch, I may be able to perform on the same stage with you. You will be the choreographer and maybe I can dance, or play the piano. The performance will be a great success and requests for us to perform will pour in from all over the world. Oh, right! Performing everywhere would be really nice." Jungkook talked and talked, one idea after another popped up to his mind and he just wanted to continue talking as he suddenly got back hugged tightly.
"You can say those things after you passed the exam", Taehyung mumbled and wrapped his arms more tightly around the younger one.
"Taehyung seonbae...", Jungkook babbled surprised.
"You MUST pass!", Taehyung said and Jungkook, who was too surprised to say something, looked over his shoulder at the older one, "Let's go to Europe together. If you reject me again, I will never forgive you."
"Um...", Jungkook didn't know what to say. He just nodded and he slowly turned to Taehyung with a smile. His smile said yes and while the sun was steadily setting at the background, coloring the sky orange and red, Jungkook laid his hands on Taehyung's cheeks and nodded smiling again, before he laid his lips on Taehyung's. With hugging each other tightly they stood on the empty street next to the river, the small town close, the fields some meters away to walk. The fresh air of the ocean wandered over the landscape and danced around them while they kissed. The setting sun vanished at the horizon, while the red light caused the situation to be more romantic and they forgot everything around them.