Lesson Twentynine

Interludium

It was the day before the performance. Everyone was quite nervous and excited for it. Jungkook was, like always, sitting in Taehyung's living room, he was going through the show program for the next day. It was well arranged, the paper was dark blue, the letters in yellow. It informed the readers about all crew members with a photo, their names, age, which academy they were visiting. On the other page it wrote about the pieces they were performing, which song, original choreography and on the last page they wrote about Taehyung. Jungkook was fascinated to read about Taehyung in the program book, while Taehyung himself was standing next to a cupboard, talking on his apartment phone.
"Eh? Mom, you are coming, too?", he said on the phone and Jungkook looked curiously up. 
"Of course, it's my son's big moment", she talked to Taehyung, "Because Jinah called me I thought you two were still dating..." His mother made a short break and Taehyung didn't say anything. "Tae, is it true that you have a boyfriend?"
"Huh?"
"Don't worry, I don't blame you. As long as you are happy, I am too. Just don't forget to introduce him to me, alright?"
"You don't have to come."
"Do your best. Please do your best, Taehyung-ah."
"I'm fine now", Taehyung spoke and Jungkook stood up from the ground, he took his jacket and back, while looking at Taehyung, who was facing him with his back, "I have things I can do here."
Jungkook looked on his hand, where he was holding the pocket watch. He still hadn't decided if he should try to help Taehyung with it or not. The older one was still talking on the phone and Jungkook decided to go to his own apartment. He stepped out of the apartment and was about to open his door, as suddenly Taehyung rushed out of his place. "Jungkook, wait", he said and stepped out of the door, holding a ticket to the younger one, "Here's a ticket for tomorrow."
"Oh, I bought one already...", Jungkook answered and pulled his ticket out of his pocket, "Look!"
Taehyung took a look on the other one's ticket. "Just as I thought, the cheapest seat", he shook his head and ripped the ticket out of Jungkook's fingers, "This is the best seat! I bought it for you so take it!"
Jungkook looked fascinated at the ticket and he couldn't believe how expensive it was. "Wow, is this a 'boyfriend seat'?"
"No..."
"Seonbae, if your aviatophobia is cured, what will you do?", Jungkook asked and looked down.
"Huh?", Taehyung titled his head confused.
"What will you do?", Jungkook looked at Taehyung and repeated his question. But Taehyung didn't say anything and kept just looking at the younger one, who nodded and looked down. "Just as I thought..."
Taehyung rolled his eyes and poked Jungkook's forehead with the ticket. "Anyway, come and watch! Or I will be mad with you", Taehyung said and leaned forward giving the younger one a peck on his cheek, before he returned into his apartment. Jungkook looked at the ticket and smiled, while his cheeks blushed lightly.
He walked into his apartment, which was messy like always, he ambled to his bed and laid down on it. He held the ticket tightly in his hands. Then he remembered the watch and pulled it out of his bag. His eyes wandered from the watch to the ticket and back. With the watch he was able to help Taehyung, who wanted to go abroad so badly and with the ticket he was able to watch Taehyung making his own choreographies and shows. Jungkook sighed, he didn't exactly know what he should do. After thinking for a while Jungkook sat up and took a small box out of his shelf, where he put in the watch. "Amateurs shouldn't imitate this...", he mumbled to himself and closed the box before he laid it under his bed. Smiling he fall back on his bed, looking at the ticket. He had never thought that Taehyung would buy him such an expensive ticket. Jungkook was happy about it and couldn't stop smiling and holding the ticket to his chest, where his little heart was beating so fast. 

On the next day Taehyung and the crew members met early for a last meeting and short practice, so that Jungkook couldn't see him before the show. Jungkook dressed unlike he usually did, he was wearing some dark blue pinstriped suit trousers with a white button-up shirt and a sweater over it so that he looked really neatly. Jungkook wasn't sure if he would see Taehyung's mother, but if he got the chance, he wanted to give some good impression on her. When Jungkook reached the hall, which was filled with many people already, he noticed Im Jinah with another woman and Jungkook was sure that the woman was Taehyung's mother. 
At the same time the members were dressed and ready, waiting backstage. Jimin was watching the seats filling with people. "Ah! He's here!", Jimin whispered shocked.
"Eh? What do you mean?", Yoongi asked and stepped closer to Jimin, who became really nervous.
"My teacher...", the leader mumbled and turned around, "What if I fail again?"
Yoongi took Jimin's hand tightly and smiled at the other one, who looked nervously and kind of scared at him. "You will be fine because you are the one I fell for", Yoongi talked quietly but seriously and hugged Jimin tightly.
The stage was prepared for the first piece, where Seokjin was having his solo part, and as soon as the whole audience was on its seats, the doors to the hall closed and the light for the stage dimmed. The dancers stepped on the stage, taking in their positions. When Jimin came on the stage as the leader the audience gave him a lukewarm applause. Jimin smiled and bowed before he walked to his position. Now only Seokjin was missing, who was still backstage. 
"You are first now. Do your best, samurai Jin!", Namjoon said who wasn't dancing in this piece, patted his fellow member's shoulder supportively.
"Samurai?", Jin asked confused.
"Please warm the audience up for us", Hoseok smiled brightly and Jin nodded.
"Kim Seokjin, go for it!", Yoongi encouraged the other one once more as well.
Jin looked to his left, where Taehyung was waiting for him. "Taehyung-ssi, thank you. Even after I failed miserably at the competition, the trust that you and everyone else had for me did not waver at all. I will show you that I'm worthy of your trust."
Taehyung nodded with a smile on his lips. The two of them stepped on the stage and the light was brightening it, the audience clapped loudly. Jin stood in front of the dance crew, bowing deeply, while Taehyung and the members clapped their hands as well. Taehyung walked to his place at the side, where he was unseen by the audience, but he and Jin gave each other another look. They nodded and silence filled the hall. "Alright, it's time to enjoy music and dance", Taehyung thought.
The music started and slowly the members started to dance around Seokjin, who kept standing on his place in the middle of the stage. The piece was a well arranged and a good mix of modern hip hop, breakdance and classical ballet elements and the music supported the dance moves, like the movements expressed the music. When Jin started to dance the light on the staged dimmed a bit again and a bright spotlight was put onto Seokjin, who was dancing express fully and dance matched well with the members around him. It was a playfully and fast between Jin and the other dancers. It looked like some kind of fight, which was carried out by dancing.
When the piece ended, the audience clapped loudly and the members returned backstage. It was time for a break, while the stage was prepared for the second performance, the crew members could recover and he audience gathered in front of the hall, eating, drinking, and talking. "Amazing! This dance crew is really amazing!", one boy said to his friend. The two of them were members of the S-Group and hadn't thought that Taehyung's new crew was that good.
"They are so cool!", his friend answered. On the hallway they met with other members of S-Group, who were also very excited and gathered together with their old friends. The girls were still squealing and fangirling over Taehyung, but also over other male members of the group. 
While the audience was outside in the entrance hall, the stuff member where rearranging the strange and the dance crew members gathered backstage. For the second performance all members were participating, some were stretching their legs and muscles once more, few were chatting with fellow members and others were fixing their outfits. All in all it was quite quiet because everyone was concentrating and Taehyung gave some members some last introductions. When the audience had returned to their seats, the crew was taking their positions on stage. Yoongi who was standing some rows behind was looking at Jimin, who was still quite nervous and couldn't find back his confidence. Jimin had his eyes closed and took a deep breath to concentrate. When he turned backwards to look at Yoongi, the blond boy smiled at him and gave Jimin a nod. 
The light brightened up as soon as Taehyung entered the stage and the audience gave a warm applause. Taehyung bowed before he took his position. Jungkook, who was sitting on his seat and had a perfect look onto the stage, was looking closely at Taehyung. He was worried about the older one and didn't know how he could help him. When Taehyung looked into the audience, he immediately saw Jungkook. Since he bought the ticket for Jungkook, he knew where he was sitting and didn't have to search for him. Taehyung noticed that Jungkook was making that face again. The face he didn't like. The face when Jungkook was forming his lips so weirdly. They were lightly opened, the bottom lip slightly pushed forward and his cheek bones were tensed. "Stop with that mouth", Taehyung thought and gave Jungkook a smile.
The dance performance started as soon as the music began. It started slowly with impressive moves while the sound of the music was quite dark and deep. Jungkook was watching the performance but he was more looking at Taehyung, whose glance was concentrated and dark because he was frowning a lot. Jungkook didn't know if he saw something in the performance, which he didn't like but the younger one didn't like seeing Taehyung like this. "Why? Although you have such great talent and such passion for music, why are you always bearing despair on your shoulders?", Jungkook thought and his eyes got kind of teary. He didn't know why but he couldn't help it.
After the performance had ended, silence filled the room until suddenly someone jumped up from his place, yelling and clapping loudly and suddenly the whole audience stood up, giving the Rising Star dance crew standing ovation for their great performance. The members turned to the audience, facing them directly and bowed deeply. Also Taehyung joined them, bowing. Then he and Jimin shook hands and finally Jimin smiled again.
After the show ended and the people were leaving the hall, Jungkook was waiting in front of the building. He was looking at the people coming out until he finally saw Jinah, who were accompanying an older woman. When the two women stopped and Jinah had left, Jungkook slowly walked to the woman, who was looking on her phone. "Are you Taehyung seonbae's mother?", Jungkook mumbled nervously and the woman looked at him confused.

Taehyung had returned home quickly, he wasn't in the mood for partying after the performance like all the other members planned to do. When he was home he changed into comfortable clothes and stepped outside on the balcony. He leaned onto the balustrade looking into the night. From his balcony he could look over the neighborhood, which was covered by silence, just here and there were a car hearable or talking people. The street lights didn't really light up the neighborhood so that it was still quite dark. Taehyung took a deep breath of the fresh night air.
Jungkook, who had entered the apartment in silence, was looking for Taehyung. When he noticed the open balcony door, he peeked around the corner and saw the older one standing outside, looking up to the sky. He was calm but Jungkook felt that something was bothering him. "Seonbae...", he said quietly.
Taehyung looked over his shoulder shortly before he returned to look up to the sky. "What is it? If you are hungry there's pot-au-feu in the fridge."
"I know but I didn't come for food", Jungkook spoke and Taehyung thought he misheard, so he turned around looking at the younger one, "Today I have a present for you."
"Huh?"
Jungkook smiled warmly and pointed at the living room, before he walked back inside and Taehyung followed him curiously. Taehyung sat down on the sofa while Jungkook sat down on his knees on the ground in front of him. "It's a reward for your successful performance and also for everything you've done for me", Jungkook smiled looking up to Taehyung.
"Why do you have to receive a reward from you?", Taehyung asked.
"Don't say that and look like this", Jungkook said and Taehyung titled his head. Jungkook leaned forward and put his index finger between Taehyung's eyebrows, pressing lightly against the spot. "Don't always frown like this."
Taehyung couldn't help but smile about Jungkook's cute action. He just noticed that Jungkook was worrying about him the same way he did towards him, also he disliked something Taehyung did and never noticed like Taehyung didn't like when Jungkook was making those lips.
"Now look at this", Jungkook talked calmly and held up a pocket watch.
"Ah, is that the present?", Taehyung asked and wanted to grab the watch but Jungkook stopped him. He started to swing the watch in front of Taehyung's eyes.
"Before that, please look carefully!", Jungkook ordered the older one, who sighed and leaned back looking at the watch, "Look carefully..." Taehyung's eyes followed the watch closely. "Your eyelids are very heavy...", Jungkook spoke with a calm and quiet voice, "that you can't help closing your eyes anymore." It took a while but after some minutes Taehyung's eyes was closing slowly until they didn't open anymore. When Jungkook was sure that Taehyung wasn't faking it, he took the watch aside. He kept looking at Taehyung and talked calmly. "You're now in a plane, flying from Europe to Korea. You're 11 years old."
Jungkook remembered the words of Taehyung's mother, who he met earlier. They had sat together in a coffee store and she told Jungkook about the incident with the plane. She told him that Taehyung didn't remember it at all, but that there was one person who died in the accident.
"Who is the person sitting on your right?", Jungkook asked.
"A music-loving...elder man", Taehyung mumbled, "He was holding a concert program in his hands. He talked to his wife besides him and said that they should go next year again. He said it over and over again. But..." Taehyung's voice cracked and he started to breath quickly like he was in panic. "The plane... everything was shaking... the man lost his medicine... he got a heart attack... the medicine was on the ground and I couldn't reach it... the place was raged downwards so that the meds were rushing away..." Tears started to run over Taehyung's cheeks. "I couldn't reach them... I was the only one who knew..."
Jungkook took Taehyung's hands and held them tightly. "It’s not your fault seonbae", he talked and caressed Taehyung's hands softly with his thumbs, "You were just a kid... Besides, no one could've done anything about it..." Taehyung's breathing was calming slowly again, so that Jungkook hoped that the older one was feeling better. "You can let it go now." He lays the watch into Taehyung's hand, closing his fingers. When he looked up at Taehyung's face he noticed another tear running over his cheek. Jungkook laid his hand on Taehyung's cheek and gently wiped the tear away. "When the alert rings you will open your eyes and you will forget all that you have said or experienced while your eyes were closed. It's alright now. You can now get on a plane...", Jungkook whispered and laid a small alarm clock on the table next to Taehyung, then he looked at Taehyung once more, "I love you." He leaned forward and kissed Taehyung softly. Afterwards Jungkook stood up, he took his bag and left the apartment the way he came, in silence.