Lesson Twenty

Interludium

There was a need. An urgent need, which filled up Jungkook's body. The need to play the piano. The need to play it like Taehyung. The need to catch up with him, because over and over again he thought over what Kwon Jiyong had said. The words that Jungkook's wish would never be able to be with Taehyung, when things keep like they are at the moment. Every night since the school festival Jungkook had the same dream. He was playing the piano and around him everything was dark, there was only him and the piano until there was the sound of a clapping and suddenly Jiyong appeared. He told Jungkook that he was playing a strange rendition of the piece, but although it was interesting it wouldn't be able to work with an orchestra. Jungkook asked him why it won't work, because he wanted to perform with an orchestra and a crew like Taehyung did. He begged the man to let him do it too. Jiyong's voice was calm and echoed through the darkness when he was telling Jungkook that it was impossible for the moment Jungkook was like he was. Then he told Jungkook to face music head-on otherwise Jungkook won't be able to enjoy music from his heart and won't be able to catch up with Taehyung to be together with him. Jungkook mumbled in his sleep that he was enjoying it and asked Jiyong why he was saying those things. But Jiyong didn't answer to the question, he just checked his pocket watch and said that it was time. The man turned around and slowly vanished in the darkness, but before he completely disappeared he turned around to Jungkook once more, telling the boy not to forget to lock his door. Then Jiyong was gone and Jungkook woke up, while a tear was rolling down his cheek. He was lying on the ground in his apartment, which was messy like always and he looked around while sitting up. "A dream again?", he whispered to himself and looked at the pocket watch which Jungkook was holding in his hand.

It's been some days since Taehyung was at the academy. Because of Chuseok holidays the academy was closed for some day and most students used the time to visit their parents and families and those who came from the countryside used to go home for the days. But since Taehyung's parents were overseas, he didn't visit them, he didn't even remember the last time he saw them. After the festival was over Jiyong dragged him around from one party to another. Thinking about those days, Taehyung thought it was kind of sad to spend Chuseok in night clubs and partying with the old man, he preferred to stay alone at home. But since Jiyong was going back to Europe, Taehyung still kind of enjoyed the time.
Taehyung sat at the courtyard at one of the tables, while some S-Group member's where sitting some tables away. All of them were dressed up well, because they had applied for jobs and had interviews. "Hm... I haven't gotten any job offers yet...", one boy whined, while lying on the table and his friend agreed to him, who was in the same situation.
"We're paying dearly for goofing off so much", another mentioned.
"But the S-Group was fun, wasn't it?", one of the twin girls said.
"Yes. In the end, it was nice to dance in a real crew", her sister added, "I never thought I would have the chance."
"Come to think of it, S-Group hasn't had a goodbye party, right?", a boy spoke up and Yoongi, who sat near Taehyung, listened carefully to the members, while Taehyung ignored everything around him.
"Yeah... let's have one!"
"A disband party!"
Yoongi jumped up from his seat and gave Taehyung a fright, who didn't even really noticed that Yoongi was sitting there. He ran over to the S-Group members. "Wait a minute! What are you guys talking about?! Why are you talking as if the S-Group is a distant memory?", Yoongi talked, "I have no intention of ending it yet, okay?!"
"Yoongi", Hoseok went over to them, panting heavily because he was running to the academy because he was late again, "I want to do it, too!"
"Hoseokie", Yoongi smiled and hold his arms to the other one, slowly walking towards Hoseok to hug him. But Hoseok just shook his head and walked backwards.
"So, shall we continue on?", one boy asked into the group.
"Ah right?!", Hoseok and Yoongi shouted together and the member's agreed.
But suddenly on of the boys jumped up and checked the time. "Oh no I can't, I have an interview this afternoon!"
"I have an informational meeting", another boy mentioned, "See you."
"What are you guys saying?", Yoongi asked and tried to prevent the boys from leaving, "What do you want to be?"
Suddenly Taehyung stood up and walked over to them. "What are you guys doing? You are so loud, you are disturbing everyone else."
"Oh, Taehyung-ah. Long time no see", one boy said.
"Yeah", Taehyung nodded.
Yoongi, although he sat near Taehyung before, they didn't talk and now Yoongi turned awkwardly around. "Yah, Yoongi", a girl patted her leader's shoulder, "Are you still mad about Taehyung oppa joining A-Group?"
"I'm not mad! I am...", Yoongi looked from Taehyung to the others, trying to look serious but suddenly his expression changed and he walked over to Taehyung, holding his hand, "Ahhhh I was so moved. Besides my own performance, it was the first time I was moved! You are great as expected! You're my best friend!"
"Since when did I become you best friend?", Taehyung asked confused and tried hard to get rid of Yoongi, who kept holding his hand.
"Um... I have one suggestion", Yoongi spoke quietly.
"What?"
"Eh", Hoseok suddenly pushed Yoongi aside to face Taehyung directly, "Weren't you with Jungkook?"
"Huh?"
"He hasn't been to school since academy started again", Hoseok explained and sounded worried.
"Jungkook?", Taehyung mumbled to himself and thought about the younger one. He didn't saw him since the festival, neither they met in person, Taehyung just saw Jungkook's performance and the moment their eyes met, while Taehyung was performing. He was so busy with Jiyong that he forgot about Jungkook.

Namjoon stood in front of the job offers blackboard. He was looking for a job in a professional dance crew but there was no job offer for hip hop dancers. The offers were only for classical and modern ballet dancers. "Hm... no job...", Namjoon mumbled to himself while tapping with his finger on his chin.
"Namjoonie", Jimin said as soon as he saw his friend and the tall, blonde boy turned around to him.
"Ah, Jimin", Namjoon smiled widely and waved to the other one.
"So, you want to apply to a professional dance crew?", Jimin asked and let his view wander over the job offers.
Namjoon nodded and turned his back to the blackboard, looking at Jimin. "Yeah... But, there's no opening for a hip hop dancer", Namjoon spoke sadly and looked down while pouting, "It's a really tough world!"
Jimin titled his head looking at his friend. "Hey... do you know what Taehyung-ssi is doing after graduation?", Jimin asked and Namjoon's eyes grew big, looking seriously at Jimin.
"Why do you ask about Taehyungie? Did you fall for him?! What's going on!!!", Namjoon shouted and faced Jimin directly, leaning close to the smaller one.
"Don't worry!", Jimin said and pushed Namjoon back from him, "When it's finalized, I'll tell you also. And don't worry, I didn't fall for him."
"Huh?", Namjoon titled his head confused.

When Taehyung came home, it was evening already. He walked along the hallway to his apartment. In front of his door was Jinah, she was standing there, holding a take-out box in her hand and waited for him. She gave him a confident smile, while out of Jungkook's apartment came the sound of a piano. Taehyung opened the door and let Jinah get inside, where she placed the take-out box onto the couch table, while Taehyung sat down on the armchair. 
"I'm not hungry", Taehyung said and Jinah looked at him when she sat on the sofa.
"What's with that attitude? You've been so cold lately", she talked and turned away from him.
"Thanks for the delivery", Taehyung spoke but didn't pay much attention to Jinah.
"Right!", she said and looked back at Taehyung, who was looking up, taking a deep breath and Jinah couldn't help but smile over the view. But she quickly stopped herself from dote on Taehyung. "By the way I saw your performance. It was extremely good. But there was a moment you suddenly seem to be drifting away."
"That's not true", Taehyung talked and scratched his nape. He knew what moment Jinah was talking about, it was the moment when Jungkook and Taehyung were looking at each other. Then he leaned forward, leaning his arms on his legs and looked at Jinah. "You've improved a lot in the past four years."
"Really?", Jinah smiled widely.
"The low notes sound better now. But it seems you can't overcome a roadblock", Taehyung talked and Jinah's smile vanished immediately, "Though you have technique, you lack performing skills. Whatever you sing sounds the same. It's boring. If you let out that iness some more when you sing, which you show a lot in general, your singing might gain some breadth. I'm going to the convenience store, but I'll be back soon. If you're leaving, just leave the door unlocked." Then Taehyung stood up and looked at Jinah once more, before he left and she was alone in his apartment.
"I didn't know he was such a jerk!", she talked to herself when Taehyung was gone.
When Taehyung was in front of his apartment he stopped near Jungkook's door. For a second he thought of knocking and checking onto the younger one, but he thought that its none of his business. So he put on his jacket and left.
At the same time Jinah was sitting on Taehyung's bed, looking through the high school graduation book. The two of them were in the same class since first year at high school. While looking through the book and checking on their old photos, Jinah realized that Taehyung's focus was always on music and not on her. "He hasn't changed one bit", she talked to herself. Then she closed the book and fall backwards on the bed. "If I quit music would we be able to get along?"
After a while Taehyung came back home. He looked around but the apartment was empty. "Jinah?", he said loudly but there was no reply, "So, she went home." Suddenly Taehyung felt cold, like something was staring at him. Was there something following him? Taehyung never believed in ghosts, but suddenly goose bumps were rushing all over his back. He slowly turned around and got a huge fright, so that he jumped backwards, when Jungkook suddenly stood behind him. "Geez!!"
"Remember to lock your door", Jungkook mumbled with a quiet, thin voice. The younger boy looked awfully. His hair was a total mess, his skin was pale and under his eyes were huge, dark circles.
"Is that... you... Jungkook?", Taehyung babbled shocked and couldn't believe his eyes. He had never seen the younger one like this. The person in front of him, couldn't be Jungkook. The boy was like a ghost. Where was the lively, cute acting, young boy Taehyung was used to?
"Yes, its Kookie."
"Are you still into dressing up?", Taehyung asked confused, because it was the only way he could explain Jungkook's look to himself.
"No, I'm not...", Jungkook said sadly and suddenly he looked up to Taehyung and grabbed the older one's arms while whining, "Seonbae!! Please let me play a piano concerto with an orchestra too!"
"Huh?"
"I practiced the piece performed by seonbae! I also want to play that piece! Seonbae, I want to play... piano...", Jungkook babbled and Taehyung looked at the younger one.
"You stink! What did you shower the last time?"
"How many days? What's today?", Jungkook asked while walking up and down in Taehyung's living room.
"Go take a bath now!"
"The gas...", Jungkook shook his head.
"Again? Okay, okay, use mine!"
"What about my clothes?"
"Here's the clothes you left from the other day", Taehyung said and handed Jungkook his clothes. Then he grabbed Jungkook on his shoulder and pushed the younger on into the bathroom.
Jinah, who didn't left yet, but fall asleep on Taehyung's bed, woke up from the noise. She peeked out of the bedroom, making sure that neither Taehyung nor the other boy would notice her. "That boy....", she grumbled angrily to herself when the other two left into the bathroom, "Who is he?" 
Jinah kept hiding in the bedroom, because Taehyung was preparing dinner, while the other boy was using Taehyung's shower. "I wonder if he was practicing since my performance up until this condition...", Taehyung thought, while he was cutting some vegetables.
When Jungkook came out of the bathroom and sat down on the ground in front of the couch table, Taehyung placed a plate with kimchi fried rice in front of the younger one. "Here! Eat first!"
"I have no appetite", Jungkook mumbled and turned away.
Taehyung sighed and sat down. He took the spoon, putting some food on in and held it to Jungkook. "Eat it anyway!", he said and started feeding the younger one, "Just eat it!"
Jungkook whined and pushed Taehyung away. "I want to play the concerto first!"
"It's impossible for you", Taehyung mentioned and put the spoon aside, looking at Jungkook, who just pouted.
"Why?"
"You never look at the score, you play it your way and you compose as you go", Taehyung explained calmly, "How could the orchestra play with you? How could a dance crew dance to your music when it always changes?"
"I've heard the original enough to play without the score", Jungkook mentioned and looked down sadly, "Besides that... your piano... it’s still ringing in my ears..." Taehyung could see the sadness in Jungkook's eyes. There was no tear, no sobbing, just that extremely sad expression. "Kookie wants to play... like that too..."
"Jungkook...", Taehyung sighed and nodded to himself, "Alright, if you want to play it that much, let me hear it."
"Eh?", Jungkook looked confused up to Taehyung, who had stood up to get ready to leave.
"Your piano. Let's go to the academy where we have two pianos", Taehyung said, grabbed Jungkook's wrist and pulled him up. Taehyung's hand wandered from Jungkook's wrists to his hand, holding it tightly, while leaving the apartment.
Jinah, who had kept overhearing everything and peeked out of the bedroom once in a while, couldn't believe what she heard and saw. Never before she saw Taehyung taking care of someone like this. Never before Taehyung had care like this for her. She couldn't understand what was going on. What was so special about him that Taehyung liked this boy so much? Was he really liking him? Or was it love?