Lesson Eleven

Interludium

It was a warm autumn day. The leaves of the trees slowly turned orange and red, leaving colorful parts around the neighborhood. Around lunch time a lot of activities were going on the streets and small stores, also the Chinese restaurant was filled with costumers. Yoongi's father was behind the counter at his open kitchen, preparing the ordered meals. But as Yoongi suddenly lumbered down the stairs from their apartment into the kitchen, his father couldn't believe his eyes. "Dad, I'm going now", Yoongi said incidentally while passing him.
"Oh Yoongi! What happened to you?", his dad asked shocked and gave his son a surprised glance, "You woke up by yourself?"
"This is a crew leader's destiny", Yoongi grinned, "The dance crew can't start without me! I'm off!" He flipped his fingers and left the restaurant quickly, because he didn't want to come too late. His son's new behavior made him being very proud of Yoongi.
Yoongi met with Namjoon in front of the great hall, where A-Group was having their morning rehearsal. The two of them sat down at the audience seats, watching the other group and Yoongi got fascinated by their leader, who was totally different in character and in what he did than what Yoongi did as leader of their group. The A-Group's leader was instructing 's about the mistakes and about what they could do better the next time, while they were still waiting for Jiyong. "That's the crew's leader?", Yoongi asked fascinated and couldn't stop looking at the other leader, "He... he's really not the choreographer?"
When their leader ordered ten minutes, he turned around and walked upstairs the audience seats area to get outside, but when he saw Namjoon sitting there, he stopped surprised. "Namjoonie", he said happily, "I thought you went back home."
"As usual, you're revved up, aren't you, Jimin?", Namjoon smiled and stood up to face his friend better.
"What else can I do? Until Jiyong seonsaengnim comes, it's the leader's job to get the dance crew going", Jimin explained and sighed.
"He doesn't come to the A-Group either?", Namjoon asked confused and titled his head slightly. Jimin smiled and nodded. "What is he doing?"
"S-Group's leader must be having a tough time too, right? With everyone relying on him", Jimin mentioned and Namjoon gave Yoongi a short look, before he agreed to Jimin with a nod. Then Jimin turned to Yoongi, who was looking around, trying hard not to look back at Jimin. "Ah, and this person is...?", Jimin asked but Yoongi acted like he didn't hear him.
Namjoon looked from Yoongi to Jimin and smiled. "Ah, he's our leader."
"Eh? Ah... I see...", Jimin babbled and gave Yoongi another look, who just nodded slightly.

When S-Group had their rehearsal Namjoon couldn't help but observe his friend, because Yoongi was dreaming along all the time. He didn't focus on practicing and didn't listen to Taehyung's instructions either. Namjoon just hoped that his friend didn't catch a cold or was sick. Taehyung as usual ended the rehearsal with last instructions, reminding everyone to come prepared the next day again. One girl mentioned that Jiyong didn't come again and the members started discussing what kind of important business their choreographer might had. "Hoseok oppa didn't come today either", another girl mentioned and Taehyung looked at the empty place, "I wonder what's wrong."
"Probably working again", a guy of breakdance section replied.
"Usually he comes even if he's late."
"So what if he's not here?", the guy said, "He's no good. I get irritated looking at him."
"That's mean! You're always bullying him", the girl answered loudly and the other members started watching them.
"Aren't you all thinking the same thing? He's no good. There are many who can replace him." Taehyung thought about the conversation he had with Hoseok last night. Maybe he took his words serious and really quit school now. 
Suddenly the door banged open and Jungkook stormed in. "Taehyung seonbae!", he shouted and ran over to Taehyung, looking at him angrily, "Hoseok hyung didn't come, did he? It's your fault, because you told him to quit school yesterday. Hoseok hyung was shocked."
"Shocked? Just because of that?", Taehyung said quietly and turned to Jungkook, "It must be that he really doesn't want to dance. That's not my fault."
"You are an ogre! Devil!", Jungkook screamed, then he blew up his cheeks and ran out of the room again.
Taehyung looked after him and sighed. "A person like you won't understand", Yoongi spoke and stood up from sitting on the ground, while Taehyung looked at him, "Always in the center of the crowd. Always being depended upon. So a person like you won't understand!" Yoongi frowned and released a deep breath, before he stomped out of the room as well. When Taehyung noticed that everyone else was looking at him, he packed his stuff quickly and left the room.

Jungkook stood in front of a small store, looking at the several food boxes. Since he didn't have anything left over at home, he needed to buy something. And since he wasn't good at cooking either, he wanted to buy something which was finished already. He almost drooled over the boxes. Quickly he took his purse and checked if he had enough money to buy one. "I wonder if I have enough", he talked to himself, but he only had some coins left over, which wasn't even enough to buy an apple. He sighed and put his money back into his purse, before he turned around to leave. Around the corner of the store Jungkook saw someone hiding behind the caste container. "What are you doing there?", Jungkook asked confused and the boy, wearing the store's uniform turned around, trying to hide the stolen food box behind his back, "Hoseok hyung!"
When Hoseok had ended his shift, he and Jungkook met at a playground nearby, where Jungkook sat and hold one of the food boxes in his hands, which Hoseok had bought for him. "So you're working there."
Hoseok nodded and sat down next to his friend. "Because I can take home expired lunch boxes. If they find out I'll be fired, though."
"I'm digging in", Jungkook mentioned and started eating happily.
"But I'm glad that only you saw me", Hoseok said and turned to his friend, who was busy with his food box, "See, many of our students comes from well-off families, right? I feel ashamed."
"You are okay with me?", Jungkook asked while munching on his rice.
"Oh, never mind. Don't think too much about it."
Jungkook looked up from his box and looked at Hoseok, who had started to look up to the clear sky, revealing the stars. "Why didn't you come to practice today?", he asked with a calm voice and continued eating, "If you're bothered by what Taehyung seonbae said..."
"No", Hoseok interrupted his friend, "I think Taehyung seonbae is right. I also realized it myself. Having no time is just an excuse. Actually, it's not my family's fault. It's my own fault that I'm no good. I think the S-Group is better off without me."
Jungkook looked sadly at Hoseok. "Are you okay with it?"
Hoseok didn't reply to the question. He just jumped up from his place. "I'll go get another lunch box for you", he said and quickly walked off and Jungkook looked after him. The younger one couldn't hide his sad expression, he knew that Hoseok wasn't okay with it. It was obvious, even for a naive and innocent guy as Jungkook.

At home Taehyung wanted to go through the second part of the choreography, but since Jiyong had left, he didn't show up once and there were still no instructions by him. There wasn't much time left till the review anymore and they had to prepare harder, but until now they weren't able to start with the second part. Suddenly Taehyung remembered the card, which Jiyong gave him before he left. He searched his case for it, because he needed to find the old man quickly. He found the card, which belonged to a night club.
When Taehyung entered the night club, he quickly found the old man, who was surrounded by a bulk of hostess'. It was loud and muggy. But Taehyung didn't expect anything else to see. "Hey, old man!", Taehyung yelled, because otherwise neither Jiyong nor the women had noticed him. Slowly Jiyong, who was tipsy already, looked over to him. "So, this is what you've been up to every night?"
"What about you, Taehyung? Why are you here in such a place?", Jiyong asked angrily, ambling drunken around, "When they need to be improving, I hear one of the members isn't attending. Do you intend to pass it on to me in such a condition?"
"Well, that's...", Taehyung wanted to explain himself but suddenly the women started squealing over him. They pushed Jiyong aside and dragged Taehyung over to a sofa, surrounding him. "I just came to see the old man!", Taehyung said and wanted to stand up again, but the women pushed him back on the sofa again and the women started babbling crisscross.
"What would you like to drink?", one woman asked Taehyung.
"I want soju!", Jiyong said and tried to catch the women's attention again.
"It's been so boring with just old geezers", one woman mentioned, while Jiyong observed how the women started feeding Taehyung with fruits, while he wanted to be the one who was fed. But whatever he did the women just cared about Taehyung.
Taehyung tried hard to get rid of the women and leave the club again. He just wanted to get home again. He never liked clubs like this and never would, never like them, so he was relieved when he finally got home again. He let himself fall down on the sofa and sighed tiredly. It didn't take long until his doorbell was ringing. Slowly he moved up and opened the door, where Jungkook was standing on the hallway. "What do you want with the ogre-devil?", Taehyung asked tiredly with a calm voice.
Jungkook looked down and gave Taehyung a short glance, before he looked down again. "Please let me use your bathtub."
"Why? You have one in your room", Taehyung said.
"I can't use it because they cut the gas", Jungkook whined and looked at Taehyung, "My allowance isn't coming until tomorrow."
"Deal with it until tomorrow then, you always stink anyway", Taehyung spoke and turned nasty again, while he leaned against the door.
"I've reached my limit. It's so itchy!"
"Wash it with water!"
"I ran out of shampoo."
"Wash it with soap! Don't depend on me for everything", Taehyung said angrily and closed the door again.
"A person like you won't understand", Jungkook mumbled sadly.
"That again?", Taehyung thought, while he was leaning against the door with his back, so that he could hear Jungkook clearly.
"This itchiness and this feeling of distress... You never had to experience poverty. I don't really know much, but you're ignorant! Can such a person really understand real music?"
"I'm ignorant?", Taehyung asked himself and knocked his head against the door, "I'm not." Taehyung took a deep breath and opened the door again. He let Jungkook in and let him use his bathroom, while Taehyung sat in his living room, waiting for the younger one to finish his bath. Taehyung was covering his ears with his hands, because he couldn't bear with Jungkook singing a children's song all the time. "Stop singing that song", Taehyung whined and noticed a bracelet on the table, which was Jungkook's. He took it and looked at it, inside was a picture of him and Taehyung got angry again. That kid was getting on his nerves with everything he did. When he tried to break the bracelet, Taehyung noticed a book about dancing in Jungkook's bag. "Types of dancing", Taehyung read out the titles of the book and opened it. Inside were lots of notes and marked up lines. When he heard Jungkook coming out of the bathroom again, Taehyung quickly laid the book and bracelet on the table.
"What a good warm bath! Thank you", Jungkook said while drying his hair with a towel. He sat down on the armchair and noticed the book. "Ah, Hoseok hyung left this in my room", Jungkook mentioned and looked through the book for a while until he noticed Taehyung, who had stood up and showed his back to Jungkook, "What's wrong seonbae?"
"Until now I have never worried about my tuition or living expenses. I've never thought that I might have to stop music", Taehyung talked and Jungkook felt like he had to cheer the older one up. Jungkook laid the book aside and jumped up from the armchair.
"I will lend you the latest volume and the latest issue of these interesting books", he spoke and pulled out some manhwas, which he laid on Taehyung's grand piano, where the older one was standing, "Please cheer up!"
Taehyung frowned and shook his head, when Jungkook was dancing around in front of him with a hand puppet. "Poverty, eh? Do you know what you are poor? Because you're always buying these things", Taehyung said and threw the books back at Jungkook.

On the next morning Jungkook picked up Taehyung and persuaded the older one to go to Hoseok's place to talk to him. Jungkook couldn't let things end like this. "Damn it, I only need to talk to him for a bit, so why do I have to go all the way to his house?", Taehyung asked. He was tired and wanted to sleep a bit longer, but Jungkook didn't let him by ringing his doorbell crazily again.
"What else can we do? Hoseok hyung has no cell phone and his home phone has also been cut off", Jungkook said while walking next to Taehyung.
"So primitive", Taehyung mentioned.
"But you've changed your mind, haven't you? Going to Hoseok hyung's house to apologize."
"I'm not going to apologize to him. I'm going to tell him not to skip rehearsals. I don't want to be blamed for him dropping out. So I have no choice", Taehyung talked and Jungkook smiled, making a grimace, "Stop that face!"
"Hey, hurry up", another voice suddenly came up and the two of them looked up the stairs, which were ahead of them and saw Yoongi and Namjoon, standing on top of them and looked down.
"It’s this way Taehyungie", Namjoon said and pointed at the direction they had to go.
"Why are you guys here?", Jungkook asked confused.
"If you think I'll let you go off with Taehyungie alone, you're mistake!", Namjoon encountered and Yoongi pushed himself in front of his friend.
"You know, I understand people who skip rehearsals better than you", Yoongi told Taehyung, who just gave him a blank expression.
Jungkook smiled brightly and rushed up the stairs. "Let's go! Let's go!" The little group of students walked along the street, following the phone's gps which directed them through the unknown neighborhood of Gangnam. When they reached the place, they were shocked and surprised. They stood in front of a huge villa, surrounded by a park. It didn't look like a poor family was living there.
"This house?", Taehyung asked confused and checked the gps.
"You guys!", they suddenly saw a man, who came out of the house and looked curiously around, "What business do you have with us?" The man was holding a broom in his hands, ready to chase them off again.
Jungkook hugged Taehyung's arm scared, but Taehyung just explained that they were looking for Jung Hoseok. When the man realized that they weren't loan sharks, the man quickly let them in. Inside everything like furniture, decoration, statues had a sticker on, which showed that it was taken by officially recognized debt collectors already. "I see. You're all Hoseok's friends! Ah, please sit down", the man said and served them some glasses of water, "He's been working since this morning. Sorry, but I think he will return soon."
"If you don't mind me asking, what's your line of work?", Taehyung asked.
"I have a company that deals with imported furniture. But in the current recession these luxurious items don't sell well", the man explained.
"Is it really a recession problem?", Yoongi asked whispering and looked around. All he saw were old stuff, which could be from an old European castle. He doubted that people liked it much.
Taehyung stood up and looked at the man, who was looking out of the window. "Um... I understand your family's situation, but please tell Hoseok-ssi to come to school again", Taehyung said and wanted to leave again.
"Wait a minute!", the man spoke up and turned to the four boys again, "What do all of you play or do at the academy?"
"I play the piano", Jungkook answered happily.
Namjoon jumped up and danced around. "I am a dancer, but I'm also playing drums", he explained and stepped next to Taehyung, "And this gentleman, he choreographs and plays the piano."
"I see. No violin."
Yoongi's eyes grew round and pushed the others aside to stay in front of the man. "I... I play the violin! You need me?"
"Really?! I have something I'd love to show you", the man said and laughed, while Yoongi kept nodding with a bright smile on his lips, "This way, please." The man opened a secret entrance and entered it, while the boys exchanged surprised looks. They were scared of following the man into the dark hallway.
"Taehyung you go first", Yoongi said and pushed Taehyung inside. The hallway looked like one from a horror movie and slowly the four were following the man, who led them deeper inside into another room. Once again Yoongi pushed Taehyung inside the room at first, while following him closely.
"Welcome to my collection room!", the man said and stood between lots of violins, "Aren't they great violins, or what?"
Yoongi couldn't believe his eyes. "Amazing!! Guarneri! Tomaso Eberle! 100 million won! 60 million won", Yoongi babbled quickly and fascinating, "So many rare instruments!"
"As expected! I'd like to have a Stradivari too for 400 million won!", the man mentioned and while Yoongi was still looking around, the other three couldn't believe the man's words, "What do you think? Beautiful, aren't they? The violin has retained its from since its first appearance from the 14th century! Unlike other instruments the violin is like a miracle. Would you like to hear how it sounds?" The man took one of the violins when Yoongi agreed amazed, the boy couldn't wait to hear the great sound. "You'll be astonished!" The man laid the violin in his neck and started playing but all they heard were a horrible squeaking, which hurt in their ears. "Surprised? Actually I can't play at all! Would you play it for me, please?", the man spoke after he had finished torturing them.
"Are you an idiot?!", Yoongi shouted, still covering his ears with his hands, "You can't play, but have such a collection? And you're poor?"
"Right! If you're in debt, just sell all of these", Namjoon added.
"These are not things that can easily obtain", the man encountered.
"These instruments aren't happy in your possession", Yoongi said.
"I've regarded this collection as more important than my own life."
"More precious than your own son?", Taehyung talked coldly, "He wants to study music and dance. Why are you clinging to such things? If you love music, you should understand his desire to continue studying."
"I love the violin, but he... he's just into dancing and as instrument he chose the bass... It's so unspectacular and its pitch is so unstable."
"What kind of parent are you?", Jungkook asked and pouted, "He doesn't want to hear his father saying something like this."
"Well I've wanted Hoseok to play these violins one day", the man said, "I was looking forward to it!"
"Dad!", Hoseok shouted, who suddenly appeared at the room's door, giving everyone a fright, "I love to dance and I love the bass!"
"It’s fine that you like to dance but why the bass? Couldn't it be the violin?", his dad asked while Hoseok came closer,.
"Because the bass is bigger and cooler!"
"Eh? Just that?", Namjoon spoke out what everyone was thinking.
"I want to study more. I want to practice more and become better and better with the bass and my dancing skills. I want to become a professional performer someday", Hoseok told his father, "If possible I wish to join a cool rock band... or better an international dancing crew."
"Hoseokie... you have such big dreams..."
"Way too big", Taehyung thought.
Hoseok stepped in front of his head and bowed deeply. "Please let me continue!"
"Sir...", Taehyung said and put his hands into his pockets, "Doesn't your son's desire to study music have more value than multi-million dollar violins? Without that, even if you have a lot of money again..."

The next day Jungkook and Taehyung met Hoseok for lunch at the courtyard. Hoseok had invited them for lunch and bought them a huge lunch box, which was filled with several small dishes. "Wow, amazing! A lunch box from Hoseok hyung", Jungkook said happily.
"My mom said it's a sign of gratitude to everyone", Hoseok mentioned.
"Gratitude?", Taehyung asked and Jungkook already started eating.
"Because my dad sold his violins our life are normal again and even the company had rebounded", Hoseok explained.
"Even the company?", Taehyung was confused.
"Yes. It seems that there was a cursed violin in the bunch. So, my dad came to his senses now", Hoseok smiled happily and Jungkook and also Taehyung returned the smile to him. Taehyung and Jungkook shared the huge lunch box together, while Hoseok had to leave for his class already.
After a while the two of them walked over to the practicing room of S-Group. They could hear the music already and exchanged looked. When they entered the room together with all the other members, Hoseok was already inside and he was practicing.
"Eh? Hoseok oppa, you are early! The earliest?", one girl said when she and the others entered the room.
"Your moves are looking much better", another girl mentioned with a smile.
"I want to catch up with everyone quickly, so I've practiced a lot", Hoseok explained happily.
Yoongi and Namjoon jumped into the room. "Good day! Such a good day", they were singing around together.
"These are the notes about the changes while you were absent", a boy talked to Hoseok and handed him his notes, "Do you want to copy them?" Hoseok thanked him and took the notes with a smile. Now he was able to catch up completely to everyone.
Taehyung and Jungkook stood in the middle of the room, while the members started warming up and some still entered the room. "There are various kind of people in this group", Taehyung thought and looked around, "In a professional group people from various countries come from various situations. Was Jiyong trying to convey this to me? No, it can't be."
"Won't you feel lonely?", Jungkook suddenly asked.
"Huh?", Taehyung looked confused to the younger one, who stood next to him.
"After everyone improves, you'll have to pass this group on to Milch, right?"
Taehyung looked aside again. "There's no way I'll be lonely!", he said and turned back to Jungkook, who looked at him, "Besides they still need lots of work."
"Alright! Taehyung, let's start today's rehearsal", Yoongi spoke loudly while Taehyung stood up in front of everyone. Then suddenly Yoongi noticed Jiyong, who was standing at the entrance door. Taehyung turned around and walked over to his teacher, handing him the folder with notes and instructions, but Jiyong just hit it and passed Taehyung without looking at him. 
Jiyong stepped in front of everyone and all members looked curiously to their choreographer. "I hereby declare...", Jiyong talked loudly, "...as of today my withdrawal from this S-Group! And here I swear to concentrate on the A-Group!"
A loud murmur went through the bulk of students. "A-Group? Why is that?", Yoongi asked, while the other students started talking.
"In the S-Group there's someone who's almost as good as me!", Jiyong explained, "Namely, Kim Taehyung, this excellent and wonderful man!" Everyone gave their choreographer a confused look. "CORRECTION!", Jiyong suddenly shouted, "There's a choreographer already, isn't there?"
"Wait a minute", Taehyung said and faced his teacher, who looked angrily at him, "What do you mean? You don't, by chance, hold a grudge against me over the night club incident?" 
"Naturally!", Jiyong yelled, "I hold a grudge against you!"
"A night club?! What's this about?!", Jungkook whined and pulled Taehyung on his arms.
"You!", Jiyong pointed at Taehyung, who kept looking at the older man, while he yelled at his pupil, "You trampled on my harem! I will never ever forgive you for that!"
"Harem? What's this about?", Yoongi asked Taehyung and laughed.
"Eh? Did you cheat on me?", Jungkook was about to cry.
"ANYWAY!!", the old man shouted to bring up silence in the crowd again, "I'm with the A-Group and you're with the S-Group. At next week's show review, we'll have a duel!" Jiyong gave Taehyung another angry glance, before he turned to the other crew members. "That being the case, everyone in the S-Group do your best!", he talked calmly and smiled to them before he left the room again.
"What is this all about?", Namjoon asked, holding Taehyung on his shoulders, shaking him around and Jungkook and Yoongi added their questions crisscross. 
"What is this?"
"What happened?"
"I think we've been discarded", one girl mentioned sadly, "Because we're all bad."
"Everyone!", Yoongi stepped in front of his group members, "S-Group don't lose your spirits over this, okay?" But nobody answered to him and they started packing their stuff again. "Why are you preparing to go home?"
"If the choreographer quits, we disband, right?", a boy talked.
"Right, disband!", Taehyung spoke up.
"Taehyung!"
"Sorry to be blunt, but going against Jiyong's A-Group we will probably end up being embarrassed", Taehyung said.
"But... But I want to perform in this group!", Hoseok stood up and looked at his fellow members, "This is my first time to be chosen for a dance crew."
"Hoseok hyung", Jungkook was amazed by his friend, who didn't want to give up.
"It's also out first time to be selected in four years, right?", one of the twin girls said.
Her twin sister stood up from the ground, looking at Taehyung. "I don't want to graduate without this experience!" After her words more and more students agreed and said that they wanted to stay and dance in their group.
"Yeah, since we've already practiced this much, I want to stay too", one boy added.
"I guess I don't mind Taehyung choreographing at this point", another guy said.
"Right! It's Taehyung’s dance crew", Namjoon spoke and dreamed off, "There's no reason not to do it! Right?"
Every single member stood and cheered up. "Alright!!" They shouted together as choir. "Starting today, S-Group stands for 'special'!", Yoongi added loudly, everyone agreeing to him, "We'll overthrow A-Group! We'll overthrow Kwon Jiyong!"
"Hey! I haven't agreed!", Taehyung shouted but nobody was listening to him anymore. They were just busy cheering on themselves and on S-Group.
"Good for you, seonbae", Jungkook said and smiled at Taehyung, who was still in shock, while the younger one patted his arm before he joined the dance crew's cheering.
"I'm... this group's official choreographer?"