Lesson Ten

Interludium

Im Jinah was walking down the hallway along with one of her classmates. Like always she was wearing one of her designer dresses, with a scarf around her shoulders. In her arm she had her books and at her crook of the arm her handbag was hanging next to her. She was surprised when she heard that Taehyung became Kwon Jiyong's pupil. "It seems so. I heard he's also participating in the dance crew rehearsal", her friend talked, while walking along and Jinah's eyes grew round.
"Oh, my!", the girls suddenly heard another girl's voice, when they turned around the corner, "Didn't you know Jinah-ssi?" There was another classmate of Jinah, leaning against the wall. They were rivals and she hated that girl.
"Miss Piggy", Jinah mumbled pissed.
"Aren't you close to Taehyung oppa?", the girl asked and stepped closer to them, but Jinah just turned around annoyed to avoid her classmate's look, "Ah, right. You guys WERE close. My mistake!"
Jinah faked a smile and turned back to her. She had to pay that girl back. "Anyway, Byungsik-ssi, congrats on getting the heroine role. Because you're taking my place, do your best...", JInah said and her friend gave her a confused glance, because never before Jinah was nice to the other girl before and the classmate thanked her surprised, "...to diet!"
The girl ended up crying and ran away. When she passed Choi Seunghyun, the teacher shouted after her, that it is forbidden to run in the hallways. As soon as the girl walked off slowly and the teacher continued walking he noticed the two girls, who kept talking about Taehyung. "So is it true?", Jinah turned to her friend and asked her, "That Taehyung is participating in the A-Group?"
"Not A, but S!"
"The S-Group? That group of underachievers?" 

At the same time Taehyung tried his best as vice choreographer of the S-Group. There were still lots of things he didn't like, which he wanted to change and see better. He often looked at the boy who came late again, something about him was bothering Taehyung, but yet he didn't know what it was. After they danced the whole choreo for once, Taehyung ordered a break, which the members used to drink water and sit down, while Taehyung went through the choreography again. "Front group, are you guys really looking at your steps? From the fifth measure try to feel the rest of the ensemble, so you can blend in", Taehyung explained, his voice stayed calmly after he noticed Yoongi's glance, which said more than thousand words. Then Taehyung turned to the other group members, with a voice being louder again, which he quickly reduced in his volume again. "And position 7-A, at the start of the second measure, you may come in boldly. You and 6-A together, okay?" The two dancers agreed to Taehyung and exchanged confused looks, because of Taehyung's way of talking to them. Taehyung himself already moved on. "Next the breakdance section", he continued talking and pointed at the boy, who came late, "Practice before coming here."
After the rehearsal was over and most member had left already. Hoseok was still packing his stuff together with some others of his section. He walked over to one of them and the guy was busy packing his stuff himself. "Excuse me, can I copy the changes to the moves and everything from your notes?", Hoseok asked.
"Oh, those. Memorize the when we rehearse together", the boy spoke and put his backbag over his shoulders, "It's because of you that the breakdance section was reprimanded like that. You always come late and on top of that you lack practice. Are you really serious?" Then he turned to his friends and the guy left, leaving Hoseok back alone in the room.

Later the members of S-Group gathered on tables at one of the courtyards of the academy, they were sitting in groups. Some had some food break, some were just talking while drinking their coffee and others were discussing about school stuff. Jungkook, who wasn't at their rehearsal earlier, appeared at the entrance of the courtyard. He was holding a small box in his hands and was looking for Taehyung, who was sitting together with Namjoon and Yoongi at a table. "Taehyung seonbae!!", Jungkook shouted and ran over to the three.
"He came!", Namjoon said shocked and jumped up like the other two boys.
Jungkook stopped in front of Taehyung, who looked surprised at the younger one. "You must be tired", Jungkook spoke, "Here! A towel and lemons dipped in honey. And..." Jungkook handed everything to Taehyung, who looked disgusted on the box, where uncutted lemons were laying in molten honey. His look wandered from the box to Jungkook, who still wanted to say more, but pouted to himself instead. "And I love you!", Jungkook admitted and smiled, then he made a kiss-mouth and waited for Taehyung.
"Wait... wait... what's this?", Namjoon talked in disgust, "Are you a manager of a baseball team?"
"No, he's the mascot boy", Yoongi explained and laughed hard about the scene, "And I guess our mascot boy just confessed to our choreographer."
"No, no, no, no! Today, I'll really kill you", Namjoon growled and started to pinch Jungkook's cheeks who squealed in pain and tried to pinch the blonde boy's back, which was hard for him because Namjoon was taller. Yoongi laughed and asked them if he could joing, while Taehyung had to smell the smell of the lemons.
"What's that?", he threw he towel on the towel and put the box aside before he sat down again.
"Um... Taehyung oppa...", the twin girls came over to him, holding their folders with notes in their hands. One of them showed her notes to him. "I can't come in on this part well", she said.
"We asked Jiyong seonsaengnim before, but he ignored us, so we are asking you", her sister added and pointed at something on her notes.
Taehyung stood up and took the papers, looking over it. "Ah, it's easy to get confused by the surrounding dancers here. You must get a strong hold...", Taehyung explained to the girl, while her sister waited for her turn.
"Taehyung oppa, I also need to consult you", another girl talked and appeared next to him. Suddenly another boy shouted and came over and with every next student another one came to Taehyung until he was surrounded by almost all dancers of the group. After a while even the two boys came over, who had played the trick on him some days before.
Jungkook noticed the crowded bulk around Taehyung and tried to get through the people to reach him. "Seonbae!!", he yelled but everyone was talking crisscross so that Taehyung didn't hear him and Jungkook wasn't able to get closer to him either, "Seonbae, what about tonight's dinner?! The supermarket will close soon." When Jungkook noticed that he couldn't reach Taehyung, he slowly stepped backwards. "Kookie's going home", he mumbled like he tried to seduce the older one to follow him, but Taehyung was busy with explaining and answering the member's questions. When Taehyung still didn't pay attention to him, Jungkook pouted. He took his bag and left the scene quietly.

When Jungkook was walking home, it was dark already. The days became shorter and sun setted earlier already, which was a sign that autumn had already arrived. He walked along the streets in his neighborhood. He was talking to himself like he often did without noticing. "Stupid seonbae!", he said while ambling around as he suddenly noticed someone sitting in a corner. It looked like a girl, who was crying. Jungkook quickly walked over to the person. "What's wrong with you, little girl?"
"I'm not a girl!", the person said and looked up to him, so that Jungkook could see the boy's face and Jungkook had known that boy already. It was the boy, who had knocked him off earlier at the academy and then ate the dirty rice from the broken lunch box.
Jungkook had decided to invite the boy over to his place, which was near already. On their way there they started their conversation and as soon as they had arrived at Jungkook's place, the younger one repared some tea for them. Hoseok was sitting at the table, while Jungkook served him a cup of tea. The boy sighed and Jungkook gave him a cute but confused look. "Being in a dance crew seems very tough", Jungkook mentioned, "Did Taehyung seonbae scold you? But I envy you because a pianist can't join the dance crew."
"I see", Hoseok nodded and took a sip of the hot tea, which almost burnt his tongue, "Actually, this is my first time to be selected for a dance crew. So I want to practice more, but my family is so poor. If I don't work, I can't pay tuition." Suddenly Hoseok's stomach growled. He was hungry, he didn't even really remember the last time he had a proper meal.
"I wonder if there's anything to eat", Jungkook said when he heard his new friend's stomach. After Jungkook's stomach growled too, the younger one stood up and searched his kitchen for food, but all he found was a rotten carrot. "Oh no, I won't get my allowance for another two days", Jungkook whined. How should he survive without anything to eat or money?

On his way home Taehyung was walking quickly. He was pissed. Someone had showed around his phone number to the members of S-Group and now the phone was always ringing because someone called him. They were asking him about private stuff, like when their parents wanted them to do a job, but then studying won't work anymore. Or they asked him about love and relationship questions. But whatever they asked Taehyung didn't want to hear about it, he wasn't interested in listening to them nor to be their personal phone adviser. When he reached his place he threw his case on the sofa and sat dow next to it. "Damn it, who gave out my number? Am I a children's counselor?", he talked to himself and ran his fingers through his hair. Just at the moment when Taehyung wanted to lean back and relax his apartment's doorbell was ringing excessively. "And to finish me off, that's Jungkook, huh?", he sighed. He walked to open the door, but instead of seeing Jungkook, he saw another guy, holding an empty bowl to him. Taehyung closed the door again and leaned against the wall next to it. "I must be really exhausted, I'm imagining crew members to stand in front of my door already..."
Suddenly it knocked on his door again. "Seonbae, it's Kookie. Please open the door!"
"Jungkook?", Taehyung said, asking more himself but he quickly opened the door again. There he was, Jungkook, together with the dance crew member and both were holding empty rice bowl towards him.
"Please donate some food to us", the younger one whined and the stomach of both boys was grumbling loudly.
Taehyung frowned. He was tired and just wanted some quiet evening and going to bed early, but now his plans changed because of Jungkook again. "Is this also a vice choreographer's job?", he asked himself and although he knew the answer already, he let the two guys in. Taehyung started cooking, because he knew that Jungkook and his friend won't leave before they've got something to eat.
"Wow, amazing! Pasta, soup and even salad", Hoseok enthused over the food, which Taehyung served him and Jungkook who were sitting on the table like puppies, waiting for their owner to feed them.
Jungkook took a sip of the soup and frowned with a small pout on his lips. "But it's instant soup", he said and looked up to Taehyung, who looked up to the older one, "Hmph... You slacked off, didn't you? It's because you didn't go to the store with me." Then Jungkook took his chopsticks and wanted to start eating.
"Is that something a beggar should say?", Taehyung said angrily and slapped the chopsticks out of Jungkook's hand.
"Kookie, does Taehyung seonbae always cook such wonderful dishes for you?", Hoseok asked and was still amazed.
Jungkook smiled brightly and nodded to his friend. "Yes, with lots of love!"
"No, it doesn't!!!", Taehyung spoke in rage and was about to give Jungkook another slap, as Hoseok suddenly catched their attention. The other one coiled up the whole pasta with his chopsticks and put everything in his mouth. While munching his food, Hoseok looked like an oversized hamster. Taehyung's and Jungkook's eyes grew big, when Hoseok's plate was emptied with one move only.
"Incredible!!", Jungkook talked and couldn't believe what he just saw.
"I wonder how long it's been since I had such fancy pasta", Hoseok babbled to himself.
"Fancy?", Taehyung asked confused, "I just put in leftover vegetables."
"It's nice that you have leftover vegetables", Hoseok said and turned away, "My family doesn't even have rice for tomorrow. My dad's company isn't doing well. It seem he has debt, as well. My mom also works part-time, but it's still not enough. Because music academies costs more than other universities I have to work part-time, so I can at least pay for tuition. That's why I'm unable to practice and fall behind. If this continues, I'll have to withdraw from the S-Group."
"It's not a great dance crew anyway", Taehyung mentioned.
"But the others in the breakdance section are really good", Hoseok said angrily, but at the same time he sounded sad as well, "I'm dragging everyone down."
"Then you just need to practice more", Taehyung replied shortly.
"I told you I don't have time because I work!"
"Then quit your job", Taehyung spoke and stood up, clearing away the table.
"If I quit I can't continue attending school."
"Then... what about quitting school?"
Jungkook stopped eating and jumped up, following Taehyung into his kitchen. "Why does it have to come to that?"
"Well if working to pay tuition keeps him from practicing, is there any point in going to school?"
"There is! There's romance, meering people and excitement", Jungkook answered to Taehyung, who faced them with his bag only.
"If it were me, I wouldn't go to school and practice", Taehyung talked calmly and started to wash the dishes, "Well, I guess if he doesn't want to improve, it's alright to continue like this."
"I do want to improve", Hoseok mentioned quietly.
"Really?", Taehyung finally turned around to the other two boys and looked at Hoseok, who was still sitting on the ground at the table, "If you don't think of practice, but instead just sit here and cry around, aren't you already hopeless?"
"Taehyung seonbae!", Jungkook frowned. He couldn't believe what he heard from the older one.
Hoseok stood up and bowed deeply to Taehyung. "Sorry to have bothered you." Then he quickly took his shoes and ran out of the other one's apartment.
"Hyung", Jungkooked mumbled and followed his friend. Taehyung sighed and walked over to clear the table completely, as suddenly Jungkook came back into the room. The younger one grabbed his plate with the pasta, which he hadn't finished yet. Then he looked at Taehyung, gave him an angry, sad and disappointed look, before he ran outside again, carrying the plate with him. Jungkook ran after Hoseok, who had already reached the street in front of the apartment complex. "Hoseok hyung!"
Hoseok stopped and looked down. "I... should probably quit school", he mumbled sadly and walked off, while Jungkook was looking after him. The younger one didn't know what he could do or say to help his friend.