Lesson Thirtyone

Interludium

The days till the first round of the piano competition were passing by and Jungkook was practicing all day long from the morning until dawn. Every single minute he was sitting in front of the piano, playing the piece he chose over and over again, but Jungkook couldn't stop his habit of playing like he felt. When he felt down the sound was sad and depressive, when he was happy the sound was light and lively, when he was moody the sound changed even more between a happy and a sad sound and if he couldn't remember the notes correctly he used to improvise. But this shouldn't happen at the competition, otherwise he would be out at the first round already. He was playing the piece for hours already again, while his teacher was walking up and down next to him, giving instructions. "Don't improvise", Seunghyun told him when he stood next to his student, "Play each not accurately according to the score! In a competition, you must never add notes or change the composition, it just means that you don't understand the piece or the composer." Jungkook nodded and slowly the sound of the piano became more quiet and sad. "Additionally, this first round piece is used for eliminating participants on basic technique. Your technique is great and unique but don't do anything unnecessary. We just have little time left."
"Um...", Jungkook stopped playing and looked at his teacher with puppy eyes, "Is it true that judges can be influenced in competitions?"
"Influenced?"
"For example, do the pupils of judges have an advantage? Do people send gifts to the judges and inside the box, there's hidden money?", Jungkook talked innocently while Seunghyun wasn't sure if the boy was serious or just really naive. Then Jungkook jumped up from his seat, facing his teacher directly. "Don't you have connections, Choi seonsaengnim? Shouldn't we send gifts to them now?"
"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING OF?!", Seunghyun shouted because he couldn't believe his ears, but soon his voice's volume decreased again, "In the piano competition, performers are represented by numbers, and their names and schools are unknown. Besides that most judges are foreigners. How could you send them gifts?"
Jungkook looked surprised at his teacher. "Then we can't bribe them, can we?"
"You're so demented!"
"If no one can cheat, that's fine", Jungkook said and smiled confidently, sitting down in front of the piano again, "I won't worry anymore. I'll continue with practice."
"Won't worry?", the teacher repeated confused, talking to himself, "Does he think that if no one cheats, he can win first place? Where on earth does that self-confidence come from?"
"Where did we stop the last time?", Jungkook mumbled while looking through the score book.
Seunghyun stepped next to his student again, leaning on the piano. "Firstly, you're terrible at Schubert. Why Schubert for the first round?"
"Why? Somehow...", Jungkook thought of the question and blushed looking shyly down, "It's like trying to date a type of guy you've never dated before... Yeah, that's what it's like." Jungkook smiled and tried to hide his blushed cheeks.
"Are you stupid?", the man sighed and ordered his student to practice the piece from the very beginning.

Taehyung was sitting in a coffee shop. He was looking over a newspaper while drinking his hot, fresh coffee as suddenly his phone rang. He pulled it out of his pocket and checked the screen. He got a message on Kakaotalk, but he didn't know the name. He frowned and opened the message confused. "Schubert seems to be a difficult person. I tried my best to talk to him, but we haven't become good friends yet. My lunch is crab omelet", the message said and Taehyung smiled.
"Jungkook...", he mumbled to himself, "So he finally got a cell phone."
"Is it from Jungkookie?", a voice asked from aside and Taehyung saw Seokjin, when he looked surprised up.
"Huh? Ah, nothing important", Taehyung babbled and felt caught, trying to hide it. He quickly put his phone back into his pocket and turned to Jin.
"It's okay. I don't mind. I am glad when he's happy", Seokjin spoke smiling, "It's unthinkable for such a wonderful boy not to have a boyfriend, so I should have accepted him to be with someone and it’s even better when it's you."
"Huh? You have a totally wrong idea about him and me."
"You don't have to worry, I won't tell anyone but your smile told me everything", Jin explained smiling.
"TAEHYUNG!!", screams suddenly appeared and Taehyung looked at the entrance of the shop, where Namjoon and Yoongi rushed in, running towards them. The two of them grabbed Taehyung on his arms. "Taehyung! We have a serious situation!", Namjoon talked excitedly.
"Huh?"
"Come! Come!", Yoongi said and Namjoon dragged Taehyung with him, while Yoongi turned to Seokjin, "You too!" Then the two of them took Taehyung and Jin with them to the courtyard of the academy. At a corner of the courtyard Jimin was sitting at a table which was surrounded by a bulk of people.
"Please let us join your dance crew", some people asked Taehyung when he finally reached the scene with the others.
"I was very impressed by the last performance", one boy talked.
"Huh? Wait a minute. What are you doing here?", Taehyung asked some people who members of the S-Group were before.
"But you two said you already have a job!", Hoseok interrupted the two boys who were about to introduce themselves to Taehyung, so they promised Taehyung that they wouldn't miss any rehearsals.
"Alright!", Yoongi shouted and placed himself in front of Taehyung, "Then let's have auditions for everyone, okay?!"
"But I haven't agreed to another performance yet", Taehyung interrupted all of them.
"It's too late for that", Yoongi said and turned to Taehyung, who gave the blonde boy a confused look, "It's been decided that on December 25ht, at Seondam Hall, our Rising Star dance crew will have a Christmas performance!"
"EH? Seondam Hall?!", Jimin asked Yoongi, who finally stayed up from his seat and walked over to Yoongi and the others. 
"Well, it was a cinch", Yoongi nodded proudly to Jimin, pulling him to his side.
"Don't take credit", Namjoon chuckled and pinched his friend's upper arm lightly.
"Dong Yongbae seonsaengnim helped to arrange it for us", Hoseok explained to his leader, who was still surprised but Jimin liked that Yoongi was always organizing so much for the dance group together with Namjoon.
Taehyung didn't know what he should say. He stood some steps away from the others, who were babbling and squealing happily around. Yet he didn't know if he would go abroad or not, but if so, he had to tell the others but how?
"I'm counting on you, choreographer!", Yoongi said and patted Taehyung's shoulder.
"Yes, because Taehyung-ssi is the key person", Hoseok added and Namjoon nodded.
Right at the moment when Taehyung wanted to say something, his phone rang and he stepped aside from the bulk of people before answering the call. His eyes grew big when he heard the voice on the phone, then he turned around and saw someone he hadn't expected.
"Taehyung-ah", the familiar voice from the phone appeared in reality.
"Jiyong seonsaengnim...", Taehyung whispered and a murmur went through the bulk of students, who noticed him as well and were as surprised as Taehyung was.
"You didn't send me the photo book I wanted! What pupil are you?", Jiyong talked disappointed, but then he smiled and looked at the other students, "Today, after a long time we all should go partying!"

It was late already and Jungkook was still practicing the piece, while his teacher went to sleep already, but Jungkook kind of couldn't make it like it should be. He was tired but he didn't want to sleep before he played it once the way it had to be. So the young boy slowly started to get desperate. "This Schubert piece has so many variations", he mumbled quietly to himself, "I wonder if I can remember it..." He poked on his lips while looking over the score. The room was quite dark already but he was so concentrated on practicing, that he didn't notice what was going on around him. He stood up from his seat because he wanted to get another bottle of water so that he could continue practicing as he noticed his phone. He had got a message by Taehyung. As soon as he saw it he had to smile and read it directly. 
"Is Schubert really a difficult person? Don't just talk about yourself, listen to the other party too! Face the score head-on", the message said.
"Taehyung seonbae...", Jungkook whispered happily and he remembered the words of Jiyong, who told him to face music head-on or he won't be able to enjoy music from his heart and that he won't be able to be with Taehyung. He looked down on the message another time, then he noticed that there was another message under it.
"Pass the first round and I will come and visit the second one. I know you can do it. Kind of miss you."
Jungkook smiled more and nodded to himself. He had to practice more. He had to pass. He had to win so he would be able to be with Taehyung. He sat down in front of the piano again and looked at the score. "Face the score head-on!", he talked to himself and opened the site he had to start with. He laid his fingers on the keyboard and played like the notes of the score told him to play. "A dotted note", he told himself to remember what he had to play, "Make it a bit louder Kookie, then quickly make it softer. Tempo! Forte... piano! Forte... piano! Accento! Crescendo! Accento! There are too many notes. Key change? Do I go up or down?"
Jungkook was confused and had to stop. "Where am I?"
"The chord on the 4th beat is wrong", Jungkook heard Taehyung's voice in his head and he found the spot where he made the mistake which confused him.
"Ah right... Once more please, from the top", he talked to himself like Taehyung was standing next to him, looking over his shoulder. So Jungkook restarted playing the piece from the beginning and to him it felt like Taehyung was there, helping him by giving him instructions.
"Be careful with the key change", the voice told him, "Each note has a meaning."
"Yes." So Jungkook practiced all night long, playing it over and over again until he played it perfectly several times.

Jiyong was able to make everyone go partying with him. But unlike the students Jiyong wasn't as young as them anymore. They danced, they ate, they drunk a lot, while Taehyung and Seokjin sat quietly in a corner observing everything, without really joining the group. After a while, the students were still partying a lot, Jiyong was sitting in a separated room, leaning over a bucket because he felt like throwing up. "What on earth did you come for?", Taehyung asked while patting his teacher's back and sat down next to the famous man.
"Taehyung-ah... how's Kookie doing?"
"He's in intensive training for a competition", Taehyung explained.
"Oh, Kookie in a competition?"
"I have no idea what changed his mind."
"Taehyung-ah...", Jiyong mumbled and turned to the boy, "Could it be that you're able to go abroad now?"
"How do you know?", Taehyung asked confused.
Jiyong laughed. "If it’s true come to Europe right now. I'm returning to Europe next week. Come with me, Taehyung and I will make you the best choreographer on earth", Jiyong said and gave Taehyung a serious look.
"Next week? That's so sudden..."
"It's not sudden! There's a choreographing competition in London next year", Jiyong told him and talked seriously, "Taehyung, you have to prepare for it! There's no time left. You should experience music from all over the world as soon as possible! You should feel the music of the world!"
"But I have another show here..."
"Don't talk back every time I say something!", Jiyong shouted angrily, "Whatever I say goes!" Then Jiyong returned to his bucket, leaning over it again, while Taehyung looked from his teacher into space. He didn't know what he should do before already and now Jiyong wasn't any help to him either.