Chapter 17 - Stay by your side

The Heart

Star Empire had a big welcome party for Ji Hyo. ZE:A also came to congrats her. They all met through Running Man so all the boys were happy seeing Ji Hyo joining their company especially Dong Jun. He wasn’t shy stealing the seat right next to Ji Hyo. Everybody happily enjoyed the party. Ji Hyo had fun with the ZE:A boys who never stopped entertaining her with their goofy acts especially Kwang Hee. He was famous for his silly behaviors.

Thank to them, Ji Hyo got her mind of Jong Kook for a moment until someone brought up the scandal. It was big deal for picture like that on the news. They started focusing on Jong Kook and didn’t notice Ji Hyo suddenly turned silent. Only Dong Jun kept his eyes on her. He knew about her relationship with Jong Kook and he was sure she must been through a hard time right now. He really wanted to ask if she was ok but he decided not to. Too many people were in the party, it won’t be good if someone overheard their conversation.

He saw significant change in emotion on her face when Jong Kook name was mentioned. Her eyes got a little bit sadder and despite how much she tried to conceal her emotion, she couldn’t hide her sorrow. He saw her phones rang a few times. He took a peek and he saw Jong Kook name. She looked at the ringing phone for a while then turned it off. He counted there was at least 10 miss calls from Jong Kook. There was some moment that she was about to pressed answered button but she stopped. She looked more devastated.

She drank more, continuously. He pushed the cup from her hand down. She looked at him. He shook his head signing her to stop drinking but she just looked at him, smiled sadly and took the shot again. Just like that, at the end of the party, she was dead drunk. Shin Hye wasn’t with her so Dong Jun offered to drive her home. She was too drunk to decline his offer.

She couldn’t even walk. He had to carry her on his back from the parking garage to her apartment. Her body was covered with alcohol with he still smelt a light fragrant from her. He missed that smell. The first time he scented it when they were in the game together and from that day on, they fragrant never left his mind. Her breath was slow and steady. She was probably sleeping – he guessed. It was not easy carrying a drunken woman but he smiled. He was happy being with her again.

“Noona, what is your password?” – Dong Jun asked as they were in front of her unit. She told him the password with the half-sleepy voice.

He carried her to her room and putted her in her bed. He helped her took off her jacket and shoes. Then he went to the kitchen and got her a full glass of water.

That was the first time he came to her house but he felt very familiar, like de javu, like he was there before. Then a thought came to his mind. He remembered the night that he got hospitalized. In his dream, he saw himself in her apartment. He recalled vividly that front door was where Ji Hyo sat down and cried, where he sat next to her and comforted her even though she couldn’t hear him. He felt a chill ran through his body. He tried to convince himself that it must be just a coincidence.

“Noona, drink some water or you will have hangover tomorrow” – Dong Jun said with one hand gently pulling her head up and another hand feeding her water. Some drops of water spilled on her face and neck. He carefully cleaned it up with his own shirt sleeve.

Ji Hyo opened her eyes. It was kind of blurry since she was drunk but she recognized him. It was Dong Wook in front of her. She suddenly sit straight up, with her hand cupped Dong Jun – who she was seeing as Dong Wook – face.

“Dong Wook ah, I miss you.” – Ji Hyo muttered, sadly, looking straight at Dong Jun’s eyes with sorrow.

“Noona, are you too drunk to remember my name? I’m Dong Jun, not Dong Wook” – Dong Jun gently said

“Dong Wook ah, why am I hurting so bad Dong Wook ah? Why am I so sad Dong Wook ah? My heart felt like broken to pieces. How can I put it together Dong Wook ah.” – Ji Hyo started crying with her hands stilled on his face.

His heart was in pain seeing her cry. Her tears seemed to be the stimulus for his heart pain lately. Every time he saw her cry. His heart beat irregularly. He didn’t care about her not calling him by his correct name any more. He hugged her tightly on his chest. His left arm wrapped around her back and his right hand caressed her head softly.

She cried devastated in his arms.  She let go of all her sadness, all her pain in his arm. She didn’t talk. She couldn’t talk. The tears kept choking not letting her breathe or speak. She kept crying. All the tears that she had been holding on kept getting all out at the same time. One after another, couldn’t wait to drop.

Dong Jun didn’t talk neither. He felt like all she needed right now was a shoulder to cry on not someone to talk to. He let her cry, let it all out while caressing her hair with his cheek on her head and his lips next to her hair. He wanted to kiss her so badly but he knew it wasn’t the right time.

She cried for an hour and she got tired. She fell asleep in his arms. He gently put her down to the bed.

He held her hand and gently said “Good night noona. Please get better tomorrow!” He stood up and about to leave but she held tightly on his hand.

“Don’t leave Dong Wook ah.” She softly said with her eyes still tightly closed. “I miss you Dong Wook ah” – she said and pull his hand down. He fell to the bed, right next to her. He was flutter, didn’t know what to do. Before he could get up, she rolled her body to his arm.

“I miss your heartbeat Dong Wook ah.” – she muttered in her sleep with half of her face already on his chest and her arm right next to his heart. He couldn’t get up any more and he didn’t want to neither. He felt comfortable with her lying next to him. His heart relaxed greatly compare to earlier. He felt warm and peace. He looked at her face, she looked more calm now, seemed like she found her peace too. He ran his hand through her face. He softly touched her long eyelashes, her cute nose, and her soft lips. He wished one day he could land the kiss on that lip.

It was hard for him to fall asleep especially with the woman he secretly in love laying next to him. He started thinking about the name Dong Wook. She repeated that name more than 3 times so he was sure than she didn’t mistake his name. Just who that man was - he wondered.

 

The alarm woke Ji Hyo up from her deep sleep. Her head felt like got cut a half by an ax. was dry. She opened her eyes to look for a cup of water but she found Dong Jun was sleeping right next to her and her hand was still on his chest.

“Dong Jun” – she startled and yelled, couldn’t puzzle what was happening. She rubbed her eyes hard to make sure she wasn’t dreaming. She checked her clothes and thanked God they were still there. It meant she didn’t do anything stupid last night.

“Oh noona, you woke up? – Dong Jun opened half of his eyes and sat up.

“Why are you here?” – Ji Hyo asked in confuse

“You were drunk last night so I took you home. I put you in bed but you didn’t let me go. I was afraid to wake you up so I felt asleep here too. I didn’t do anything. I swear.” – said Dong Jun with his right hand rose on the sky.

“Oh really? Sorry Dong Jun ah. I drank too much last night.” – Said Ji Hyo, putting her hands over her face to cover herself from embarrassment.

“It’s ok noona.” He said then reached to the glass of water next to her bed – “drink some water noona. It will help with the hang over” – Said Dong Jun with a sweet smile.

“Thank you Dong Jun ah, you are so nice.” – Ji Hyo smiled softly  

“You are welcome noona. Are you hungry?” – Dong Jun concerned

“Yeah, my stomach is hurt” – Said Ji Hyo while rubbing her empty stomach.

“Noona, why don’t you go wash up and I will cook for you something really quick” – Dong Jun offered.

“I can’t let you do that Dong Jun. I bothered you enough” – Said Ji Hyo as she still felt bad about last night.

“Don’t worry. I’m really good at cooking.” – Dong Jun winked and walked out of her bedroom before she could say anything else.

She smiled. He was young but he was always caring since the first day she saw him. She felt comfortable around him. Maybe because he had Dong Wook heart or maybe because he was a good man from begin with. Her heart got little bit warmer. Her sadness went away a little. Her pain … it was still hurt a little.

“Rice and kimchi soup are all I can make from whatever in your refrigerator.” – said Dong Jun as he putting the hot pot of soup on the dining table.

“It’s good enough Dong Jun ah, thank you very much.” – said Ji Hyo with a sweet smile.
            “Let’s eat noona. Be careful, the soup is really hot.” – said Dong Jun while handing Ji Hyo the spoon.

Ji Hyo took the first bite of hot kimchi soup. Her face was full of satisfaction as the hot broth touch “Wow, it’s so good. Where did you learn to cook Dong Jun?”

“We live in the dorm by ourselves so we have to take turn to cook. I had to learn cooking or my hyungs will beat me up.” – Said Dong Jun and they both laughed.

“Do you have to go to the agency today noona?”

“Yeah, I have to be there to meet up with the CEO for scheduling”

“Let’s me drive you there then”

“It’s ok Dong Jun. It won’t be good if people see us together” – Ji Hyo softly said – “but thank you about everything. I don’t know what would happen if it wasn’t you.”

“Don’t worry about that noona.” – Dong Jun said as his left hand put gently on top of her right hand. – “Noona, if you are sad, don’t keep it to yourself. Talk to me ok? I will always be there for you. Just one button way” – He smiled, looking lovingly at her.

Ji Hyo felt fluttered. She didn’t expect to hear a mature thing like that from a young man like him. She was touched. At least someone still cared about her. She should had taken her hand away from his but she didn’t. She felt safe in his hand. She needed a little strength to get over her sadness. Today, she would selfishly let he hold her hand so she could feel a little less sad. She needed this, a sincere touch, from a sincere heart …