Chapter 38 - Will you be my girlfriend ... again?

The Heart

Their next filming day was in Nha Trang, one of the best beaches in Vietnam. For the entire filming day, Ji Hyo couldn’t look at Jong Kook face because every time she glanced at him, her face turned pink thinking about the night before. However, she stayed closed by his side and kept a good distance with Si Won.

Even a fool could tell the 180 degree change in attitude of Ji Hyo compared to yesterday. She joked less with Si Won and stuck close by Jong Kook. In their break time, all the casts were resting in the break room. Si Won couldn’t hide his curiosity and asked Jong Kook – “Hyung, what did you do to noona? Why is she so different today?”

Ji Hyo was sitting next to Jong Kook. She was immediately stunned by Si Won question. Her eyes opened wide and before Jong Kook had a chance to answer, she already stood up screamed out loud – “What are you talking about? Nothing happened last night.”

All eyes on her by surprise and a laugh broke out unstoppably on the break room.

“Omo, seemed like something really happened last night.” – Kwang Soo teased.

“Ji Hyo ah, you don’t have to tell the world that something happened last night.” – HaHa joined Kwang Soo.

Smoke came out hot from Ji Hyo’s head. She wished she could dig a hole and buried herself down there to hide from this embarrassment.

“Hey hey, you two stop it already.” – Jong Kook said, collided HaHa and Kwang Soo heads together

“I’m sorry hyung” – Kwang Soo and HaHa squealed trying to release their heads from Jong Kook’s powerful hands.

“And you, try to be less obvious, can’t you? Even the idiots can tell you are lying” – Jong Kook turned to Ji Hyo and whispered.

 “Who made me like that” – She scowled and mumbled.

“What did you say? Want more punishment?” – Jong Kook grinned

“No … of course not.” – Ji Hyo startled, face turned rose.

Jong Kook laughed hard watching her reaction.

The day went by fast; the night already fell on the beautiful beach of Nha Trang. After the dinner, Jong Kook walked to Ji Hyo’s door planned to take her out for a walk since they were staying in a private beach. However, Ji Hyo didn’t answer her door. He thought she was in the shower so he waited for more than 30 minutes but still no response from her. He decided to walk around to look for her. The first place he thought of was the beach, hoping that she still kept the habit that she had before the amnesia.

Just as he expected, she was sitting on the sand, facing the ocean, closing her eyes and inhaling the breeze, just like the night he confessed to her.

He slowly walked to her, sat behind her and suddenly grabbed his arms around her shoulders.

“Omo oppa, you scared me.” – Ji Hyo yelled, startled.

“Haha, you still like before, have no guard when it came to night ocean. You have to be careful ok?” – He whispered.

 He sat down on the sand and tugged her between his legs. His arms tightly hold her waist.

She was flustered but enjoyed it at the same time. The beach was cold and his body heat was just perfect. She felt comfortable leaning her back against his chest. His torso was very firm and steady. She felt safe in his arm.

“Did I like the night beach before too oppa.” – She whispered.

“Yeah, the time I confessed with you also was on the beach. We were also filming for a Running Man episode. I found you on the beach on the middle of the night when everybody was already in their deep sleep. Thanks for your hobby that I had the chance to confess to you.” – He smiled recalling that sweet night.

“How did you confess to me oppa?” – She turned her head, looked at him, curious

“Hmm…how? Let’s see. Do you want to listen to a song?” – He asked.

She nodded excitedly.                         

He started his sweet voice  

While just looking at you drunk
I only sneak a look at you secretly because I can’t take my eyes off.
Days passed and you still come into my mind again and again.
One day passed too as I was considering to find an excuse.

You were so pretty and your eyes were very beautiful then.
You stole my heart the moment that I met you.
You are so gorgeous. You’re lovely when smiling.”

 

Unexpectedly, Ji Hyo started sing along.


“You stole my heart the moment that I met you.

I tried to get you out of my mind but I couldn’t.
I cannot stand it anymore. I don’t have the guts to meet you.
One day is passing while thinking of this.

You were so pretty and your eyes were very beautiful then.
I took to you the moment that I met you.
You are so gorgeous. You’re lovely when smiling.
I took to you the moment that I met you.”

 

Jong Kook looked at Ji Hyo in surprise. He was sure this song wasn’t release before 1995. He wrote this song especially for her. A hope sparked inside him that her memory may come back.

“How… how did you know this song?” – Asked Jong Kook, hesitated.

“I’m not sure. It just came to my mind. Maybe I hear this song somewhere before. I just can’t remember where.” – She frowned, trying hard to recall.

“This song … is the song I used to confess to you that night. Did you remember that night?” – He asked, hopefully.

She shook her head, lowered her eyes. Not a scene of that night came back to her mind. Only the song was lingering in her head, like an echo from the past.

He caressed her head.

 “It’s ok if you are not remembering that night. At least you remember the song. It’s a good start. You must like this song very much.”- He smiled gently at her. –“I wrote this song just for you. I had been secretly in love with you for a long time before confessing. I poured my heart in this song one night when we drank together and I kept it for a while before I had enough courage to confess to you.”

“Really? Wow you are such a romantic oppa. No wonder I agreed to be your girlfriend.” – He smiled.

“So since you hadn’t remembered my confession, now I will do it again.”

He turned her around, looked deep into her eyes

“Ji Hyo ah, I know you have no memory about me, about us. To you right now I am probably no more than a stranger but this stranger has been loving you for so long. It doesn’t matter if you are 15 or 34, if you remember me or not. And even if I have to reconfess to you a thousand times, I will do it with pleasure. Because as long as you are with me, it’s all worth it. So Song Ji Hyo, will you be my girlfriend and stay by my side?” – He looked at her, eyes full of anticipation.

She was touched, deeply touched by his words. She didn’t know how good he treated her before but she could understand why the 34 Song Ji Hyo agreed to be his girlfriend. No one would ever be able to say no to this man. The man that deeply in love with her and always stayed by her side in the most difficult time, the man that never gave up on her.

She looked at him and shook her head.

He was stunned, his throat was tied in a big knot. Did she just reject him? Before he could that question, she already looked lovingly at him and said.

“I don’t want to be your girlfriend because I am already your fiancée. Do you want to take this ring away from me?” – She asked, cunningly pulling her ring finger in front of his eyes. – “I am not giving you back this expensive ring.” – She stuck her tongue out of , playfully.

He laughed, a thousand kilograms of stress just got release from his shoulders. He wouldn’t know how to react if she actually said no.

“I will never ask you to give me back. Even if you give me, I will never take it back. You stuck with it for the rest of your life.” – He smiled, gently, happily and tugged her back between his legs. He hugged her tightly. They spent the night peacefully enjoyed the breeze of beautiful Nha Trang. 

(Vinpearl Resort, Nha Trang, Vietnam, where the Running Man casts stayed)