Chapter 34 - Living under the same roof

The Heart

Ji Hyo had been hiding inside her room the whole day after the kiss. She still wasn’t able to settle her crazy heartbeat. She kept sitting around her room, changed from the floor to the bed. Every time she closed her eyes, the image of his lips on hers kept repeating inside her head. She tried to shake it out but it didn’t want to leave.

Their picture on her nightstand didn’t help neither. It was the selfie of them kissing. She held it up on the air, looked at it carefully and putted it facing down to the nightstand. Then she placed it back to the original position again and stared at it. She couldn’t recall where or when they took that picture but she loved it. They looked happy in the picture, smiling while kissing. It must be a great time of their life. She wished she could recall even just a moment of it.

It was already 7 P.M and her stomach was having a protest. She sneakily opened her bedroom door, observed left and right to make sure Jong Kook wasn’t around then she tiptoed to the kitchen.

“Hello sneaky cat” – Jong Kook greeted out from the kitchen

“Oh My God Oppa, you startled me!” – Ji Hyo jumped back a few steps, putted her hand on top of her chest to calm herself down.

He laughed hard. “Haha, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you but you look very sneaky. Why do you have to tiptoe in your own house?”

“No … Nothing” – She stammered

“Hm… Really?” – He walked to her, nuzzled next to her in purpose.

She looked up to him. His lips were about to touch her forehead. Those lips reminded her of their kiss earlier. She couldn’t take her eyes off them. Her face turned red, she looked down, avoided his eyes contact.

“You are blushing again? Do you want more punishment like this morning?” – He grinned.

“No, of course not.” – She startled, took a step further from him. Her heart thudded fast just thinking about the kiss.

“Are you sure?” – He stepped a step closer to her. He had to admit that he overly enjoyed her timidity. It was too cute for him to handle and he kept wanting to . Her blushed face and her shy expression sent great thrill to his heart.

“Of course, I am sure.” – She pushed him away, eyes on the floor.

He grinned.

“Are you hungry?” – He asked.

She nodded.

Come here and eat. He grabbed her hand and led her to the dining table.

The feeling of her hand of his, somehow felt familiar to her. Her heart felt warm.

“What with all the grass?” – She gaped looking at the huge bowl of salad on the table.

“That’s what people call salad. I have been letting you eat enough junk food lately. It’s time to get back to your diet. Today menu is salad and grilled chicken, made by Chief Kim Jong Kook” – He winked.

“Weiii?” – She sulked. – “How can you make a sick person eat all grass like this? I want meat.”

“There is chicken meat.” – He pointed to the delicious dish of grilled chicken.

“No, I want real meat.” – She frowned.

“I have been coddled you the last few weeks. It’s time for you to get back to your diet.” – Jong Kook strictly stated, then took her dish of chicken to his side and slid it to small pieces.

“Ahhh” – He commanded, putted the fork full of chicken in front of .   

Her face was still scowled but she opened , letting him fed her the chicken.

“How cute!” – He smiled – “Let’s eat some salad too” – He said and fed her a full fork of green. “Is it good?” – He asked as she was chewing the food.

“N-ne”- she said, sulkily, with her elbows on the table and two hands cupping her face, eyes looking away.

“Just be good and eat one healthy meal a day, tomorrow oppa will take you out to eat tteokbokki ok?” – Jong Kook offered.

“Really?” – Her face immediately lightened up.

“Of course” – He smiled looking at her happy face. It seemed like the 15 years old Ji Hyo was easier to be happy than the 34 years old one. She was blissful by every little thing he did for her.

“Yay!” – She clapped her hand and quickly dug in her meal. – “It’s really good chicken oppa.” – She happily said.

“Then eat more.” – He smiled.

“Did you always cook for me before oppa?” – She asked as they were enjoying their meal.

“Sometime, mostly you cooked for me. You are a great cook.” – Answered Jong Kook.

“Really? Am I? I have never even touched a knife in my life” – She wondered.

“You learned in the process. You lived by yourself for a long time.”

“Really? I still can’t remember anything about that” – She looked down, sad face.

“It’s ok. We can collect the memory for you. Do you know the show Running Man?”

She shook her head – “What is that?”

“It is a big part of your career that brought your name to become a hallyu star.”

“Really? I have no memory about that neither.” – She exhaled sharply.

“It’s ok. I borrowed from our PD all the episodes that you were in. Do you want to watch it together?”

“How many episodes are they?”

“About 200”

“What?” – Her pupil widened. – “Did we do that much episodes?”-

“Of course, our show has been on for 5 years. We are one of the longest running reality shows in Korea” – He proudly explained

“Wow. This show is really amazing. I’m curious to see what make it so special.”

“What special about the show is the bond between the members. We are like family and very real on the show. That’s why audiences love us.”

“Were I close to other casts too?” – She was curious.

“Of course, we are like real family. They love you. They wanted to visit you but I want to show you the videos first so you can have an idea of who they are.”

“Thank you oppa.” – Her voice was low. –“You think for me a lot, don’t you?” – She felt touched but sad at the same time. She appreciated all the things he had been doing for her. Even in the teenager brain, she still knew that all he did was for the best of her benefit. She hated herself for not able to remember one bit of memory about him.

“Of course, who else should I think about but you?” – He smiled gently.

“I’m sorry” – She said, picking at her food.

“For what?” – He stopped his folk and looked at her.

“For not remembering us” – Her eyes were sad.

 For a moment he saw the sad 34 years old Ji Hyo was visible in front of him. His heart sunk a little seeing her depressing face.

“It’s ok.” – He reached his hand across the table and caressed her hairs. “It is not your fault. We always can make new memory together, like we did before.” – His voice was tender.

She looked up at him, eyes like Bambi. “Can we really?”

“Of course we do.” – He sweetly smiled at her.

“Even I am not who I was before?”

“You are still who you were, just a little cuter. But I can handle that.” – He grinned.

She blushed.

“Ok, let’s me clean up and we will watch Running Man ok?” – He said, collecting the dishes.

“Let’s me help you oppa.” – She quickly grabbed her dish.

“It’s ok. I can do it.” – He took the dish and his hand brushed hers.

She flustered. Her hand froze in his.

“I told you let me do it.” – He softly said. His other arm intentionally reached over her shoulder to get the salad bowl. He was on her back. They were having a back hug. She realized that just now. Her face turned red again. His chest was on her back. She felt it, his tight hard chest muscle were right next to her. His breath was calmly flowing next to her ear. Her heart skipped about 20 beats in just 1 second.  It was really not healthy for her at all but she just loved that feeling, the feeling of him being so close to her, the feeling of being protected by that great strong man.

He took all the dishes to the sink but she still stood there frozen. His warm body was still lingering around her.

 “Do you want to help me to dry the dishes?” – He asked tried to crack her out of the frozen stage.

“N-ne” – She answered, putting herself together and walked to the sink.

 He washed the dishes carefully with soap. She stood next to him, and dried the dishes that he handed her. She felt like they were a real married couple, living under the same roof, sharing their chores, helping each other. She liked that feeling, liked she belonged to that man