Chapter 43 - Please wake up, oppa

The Heart

To make sure Ji Hyo wouldn’t oversleep again, Jong Kook personally knocked on her door an hour before the filming started. She didn’t answer the first knock or the second knock. He waited for 20 minutes and was about to go to the receptionist to get the backup key.

“Yes oppa” – She slowly opened the door with her eyes still half closed, hair still messy, and not at all close to ready.

“Time to wake up. You have to get ready for filming.” – Jong Kook shook her shoulders, trying to wake her up.

“I want to sleep a little more oppa.” – She said then walked straight back to her bed and covered her body with the warm blanket.

Jong Kook immediately followed her to the bed and pulled the blanket away. - “No, you will be late if you sleep more.”

Ji Hyo still hadn’t wanted to get out of the bed. She turned her body facing down to the bed, snuggled her head under the pillow and continued sleeping.

“This is really worse than wake up a 5 years old kid.” – Jong Kook stated, frustrated couldn’t hide his laugh because she was literally looked like a little kid who was trying to hide from going to school. – “I will count to 3, if you don’t get out of your bed I will have to use force ok?” – Jong Kook threatened.

Ji Hyo decided to ignore his threat, didn’t move even an inch and denied to give up her sweet warm bed. Her sleep was all she cared about at that moment.

“3 … 2 … 1” Jong Kook slowly count – “0. Fine, you ignored me, I have to use force then.” – He said then immediately lifted Ji Hyo off the bed.

“What are you doing oppa?”- Ji Hyo flouncing in his arms

“I told you that I will use force. You should listen to me.” – He said then carried her straight to the bathroom and putted her on top of the sink, putted the towel around her neck and started brushing her teeth.

“What are you doing oppa?” – She mumbled, couldn’t make a clear words because the toothpaste foam was all over and her eyes still hadn’t been able to open. She was too sleepy to fight him so she just let him continue brushing her teeth.

“Brushed your teeth. You know what? Actually you did that to me before too. It was a wake up mission in Running Man. I was still deeply in sleep. You pulled me to the bathroom and brushed my teeth. I finally have a chance to make revenge.” – Jong Kook laughed, continued brushing her teeth carefully then cleaned her face with care. – “Now you can get change and go filming.” – Jong Kook said.

Ji Hyo didn’t move from the spot and kept staring at him.

“Why are you staring at me for?” – Jong Kook asked

“You have to get out of the room so I can get change.” – Ji Hyo shyly said.

“Hmmm … Do I need too? May be you need me to help you to change too.” – Jong Kook grinned.

“Oppa …” – Ji Hyo embarrassedly squealed and pushed Jong Kook out of her room.

Jong kook kept on laughing even when he was locked out of her room.

Ji Hyo finished changing and came out 5 minutes later.

“That was quick. I was about to come back inside to help you.” – Jong Kook teased.

“Oppa, stop being a ert.” – Ji Hyo said then pinched Jong Kook hard on his arm.

“Ouch, why did you pinch me so hard?” – Jong Kook squealed.

“So you can stop being a ert.” – She said, sticking her tongue out of .

“You can’t ask me stop being a ert when you keep doing cute thing like this.” – He smiled and putted his arm over her shoulder.

She smiled, happily wrapped her right arm around his waist. She felt closer and closer to him each day and their skinship became something more natural to her. He was no longer a stranger to her.

The filming went smoothly. Ji Hyo excited seeing the sunrise first time in a long time. She always told Jong Kook how much she love seeing sunrise in her hometown and now Jong Kook understood why. Sunrise in Pohang was especially more pretty than anywhere else and it was even more beautiful when Ji Hyo was next to him, happily watching sunrise. Even though they were working but they enjoyed great pleasure.  

The first part of filming was done. Ji Hyo was standing next to a big heavy lighting stand and talked to the director. She didn’t notice that the wind was too strong and all other equipment was about to be blew away. That lighting stand was no exception.

By the time she took notice, the light was almost fallen to her head. She was too startled and couldn’t move but quickly Jong Kook jumped to the spot, covered her head with his big strong hands and used his back to cover her body. They fell down. He was on top of her and the lighting stand was on top of them.

“Are you ok oppa?” – She screamed, panic.

“I am ok.” – He weakly said but when she looked at him, his head was bleeding, the blood even dropped on her face. – “Are you ok?” – He asked her.

“Of course I am ok oppa. Why did you do that? You are hurt oppa. There is too much blood.” – She cried, trying to clean the blood on his head with her sleeve.

“Because I couldn’t protect you last time, I can’t let you get hurt again.” – He weakly said then fainted.

“Oppa, oppa, wake up oppa.” – She cried – “People, do something, quickly do something, please, my fiancé is bleeding too much.” – She yelled but at that moment, some images flashed through her mind. Why did this feeling so familiar, that pain in her heart right then, somehow felt like it wasn’t the first time. She used to hold a bleeding man in her arms too. Who was that man? She couldn’t remember but her heart was in a sharp pain as well as her head. What was happening? She lost her self, she was in panic. – “Oppa, don’t leave me, don’t leave me. People please do something, please do something.” – She kept on screaming.

The ambulance quickly came to the scene, Ji Hyo jumped to the ambulance with Jong Kook without hesitation. She held his hand and kept on crying all the way to the hospital.

Jong Kook was quickly sent to operation room. Ji Hyo was restrained to wait outside. The nurses approached her and asked her to do some general checkup but she refused. “I am ok. Only he got hurt because he tried to protect me.” – She said then ignored the nurse and walked back and forth in front of the operation room.

There were too many things that were running through her head right then. What did he mean by he couldn’t protect her last time? What happened to her last time? Was it the reason she lost her memory? They never talked about the incident. She did ask him and even her parents about that but they never gave her an answer. They kept telling her that she hadn’t ready for that yet.

 And what with the image of the bloody man in her arm, she couldn’t see his face, in her memory, she only could see he was in some kind of tuxedo and she was in some kind of wedding dress. Just what happened that day? Did she get married?  Jong Kook never said anything about she got married. Just what happened? Her head hurt so much trying to puzzling her broken memory. She had to sit down before getting collapse from the dizziness.  

After 2 hours of operation, the doctors and nurses finally came out.

“How is he doctor?” – She rushed to the first doctor and asked.

“He is ok. The wound is not too deep. He just needed a good rest then he will be fresh like new tomorrow.” – The doctor said.

She exhaled sharply in relieve. She felt like she had been holding that breath for the last two hours waiting for the operation over. – “Thank you very much doctor. You have been working hard.” – Ji Hyo bowed at the doctor.

“You are welcome. You can visit him after we transferred him to the patient room. We will make sure to put him in private room so you can avoid the crowd.” – The doctor said.

“Thank you very much doctor.”

Ji Hyo followed Jong Kook to the patient room. He was still in deep sleep.

She sat down on the chair next to his bed, softly holding his hand with her left hand and her right hand gently caressed his face.

“Oppa” – She whispered. – “Is it how you feel when I was in coma too? Sad and worry. Keep praying for me to wake up, hoping nothing bad happen? It has only been a few hours but I already was about to go crazy. How did you do that for half of a year oppa? It must be very hard on you, wasn’t it?” – Tears started dropping on her cheeks. – “ I was a terrible person letting you going through so much pain because of me but when I woke up I couldn’t even remember a single memory about us. I am such a bad girl, aren’t I oppa? I am the worst fiancé ever. Why do you still love me so much oppa?” – Her voice was shaking with tear. She have to pause for a few minute to catch her breath – “Oppa, please be ok. Please wake up soon. I will be nicer to you ok? Let’s be happy from now on. I don’t think I can live without you oppa. I am worrying very much here oppa.” – She buried her face in his hand and kept crying for hours.