Chapter 41 - The Casting

The Heart

Ji Hyo had been hanging out often at Jong Kook agency lately since he was super busy getting ready for his new album. Jong Kook spent most of the time in his recording room and Ji Hyo always accompanied him. There were nights that she slept over at his recording studio because he had to work late.

Jong Kook felt bad letting her sleeping on the small couch in his studio but he was happy at the same time. Even though they had been together for 3 years, Ji Hyo never stepped inside his studio before. They always had to watch out for the reporters and since they weren’t from the same agency, meeting in work place was not appropriate. But now, he could be with her whenever he wanted. They freely hand in hand walked around his agency and no one dared to say a word. In opposite, people quite envied their relationship. Not many celebrities could freely express their relationship freely like them.

Jong Kook actually sang better when Ji Hyo was around. Most of his songs were written for her. She was his muse. Looking at her, there were always thousand kinds of emotion awoke in him. They had been through so much together. Happiness, sadness, sweetness, bitterness, he had experienced all that, through her.

She had been very caring and sweet to him lately too. Because he was always concentrated on work, she made sure to feed him on time. She started learning his eating habit again and surprised him when she only ordered healthy food. It was still a little bit difficult to her to eat all “grass” diet like him but she tried her best to fit his appetize.

Just like any other day, Ji Hyo walked around Jong Kook’s agency while he was busy editing his song. She was attracted by the crowd in front of the casting room. Through the clear windows door, there are pretty girls taking turn to act some kind of scene. She couldn’t take her eyes off them. She supposed it was what people called casting. She wondered if she was like that before as she was an actress too. She suddenly had the urge to stand into that spot but she was too shy to walk in.

“Do you want to try out the casting?” – Jong Kook suddenly appeared behind Ji Hyo.

Ji Hyo was startled, turned her head around and squealed. – “Oppa, stop scaring me like that.”

“Haha, I didn’t mean too. You were too concentrated. I had been standing behind you for more than 10 minutes. You just didn’t notice me.”- Jong Kook laughed.

“What are they doing in there oppa?”

“They are casting for the female role for my new MV. Do you want to try out?” – Jong Kook suggested

“I don’t know oppa. I still couldn’t remember anything about my lost 19 years and I didn’t learn acting when I was younger. I don’t think I can act oppa.” – She said, disappointed.

“You never know. You have been acting for 14 years. I read somewhere that sometimes amnesia patient didn’t have the memory of their past but the skills still remain somewhere in their brain because it was something that is built up like a reflex. Just try it out, maybe you will remember something.”

“Really? Was I a good actress before oppa?” – Ji Hyo concerned.

“Well, just think. You had roles in Hollywood so yah, I’m pretty sure that you were a good actress.” – Jong Kook smiled brightly

Ji Hyo nodded her head, determined. – “So can I try out the role oppa?”

“Of course, let’s go inside. I will talk to my MV director.”

“But oppa, I don’t want any favor ok? Please tell him to be fair. If I’m not fit for the role, please just reject me. I don’t want to be a burden.” – She looked at Jong Kook, seriously.

“Omo, my teenager fiancé is so thoughtful. Arraso. I will make sure the director treat you as fair as the other candidates ok?” – He said, pinching her cute chubby cheeks – “By the way, how can you be so cute even when you make a serious face?” – Jong Kook smiled.

Ji Hyo flustered, her cheek turned rose, lowered her face. – “Oppa, please stop teasing me. It’s so embarrassing.”

“I didn’t tease you. I only tell the truth.” – He said then held her hand, taking her inside the casting room.

After whispering something with the director, Jong Kook signaled Ji Hyo to stand in the casting stage. He sat down next to the director.

She stood in the center of the room. Nervousness was clearly visible on her face. She gulped even though was burned dry from the tension. She felt like she was about having an anxiety attacked as all the attention was focused on her. Some of the girls were whispering something to each other. She couldn’t hear them but she could tell they were not saying anything good about her judging from the hateful stares that they were throwing her.

She was about to run out of the casting room. However, when she looked at him, all her nervousness, tension, and anxiety were all disappeared. He was gazing at her, gently. He was smiling at her, sweetly. His smile was bright like a sun ray. He putted his two thumps up to encourage her and she smiled, nodding to signal that she was ready.

“Ok Song Ji Hyo-ssi, please cry.” – The director demanded.

Ji Hyo was stunned. That was her first casting so she was not ready for the sudden request of crying. She froze for a moment.

“Think about something sad.” – Jong Kook said, looking at her with encouragement.

She nodded her head, trying to pull out the sad memories in her head. Her life before 16 was rather perfect; she never had to experience any sadness to the point that she had to cry. But then that moment came to her mind, the moment she found out that she just lost 19 years of her life. The moment that she found down she was a 15 years old teenager in the body of the 34 years old actress. It was hard to accept, even a few months had past, she still hadn’t be able to fully coped with the situation. That was a devastated moment.

Her tears started running out before she even aware of it. She cried, sobbed, her eyes, her nose, then her whole face turned red. The tears couldn’t be stopped, the sadness spread through her whole body that made her knees felt weak. The gravity seemed to be twice stronger than normal that easily pulled her whole body down to the ground. She kept sobbing, cupping her face with her hand. Her whole body was shaking as she cried.

Not only her, but the whole casting room felt sad. They didn’t know what situation was in her mind but they just felt very sad. Jong Kook and the director were speechless. The try out should only last 5 minutes but they let her cry for almost half an hour before they remembered that they were in casting.

“Cut, perfect.” – The director shouted

Ji Hyo looked up at them. Her soul only got back to her body after hearing the director yell.

“Are you ok?” – Jong Kook quickly walked to her and helped to pull her body up.

“What just happened? Did I do it wrong?” – Ji Hyo asked, blankly.

“No, you did well. Too well that made every body speechless.” – Jong Kook smiled.

“Wow Song Ji Hyo – ssi. Now I understand why you were a Hollywood star. Your acting is really daebak. I can’t wait to cooperate with you.” – The director happily stated.

“Really? Did I just get the role?” – Ji Hyo excitedly asked.

“Of course. We all think that it would be good if you join the MV. With you two’s relationship, your appearance in the MV will definitely bring great attention from public. We only concerned about your acting skill with your amnesia situation. However, looking at your acting earlier, we believe that your skill is still there. ” – The director nicely explained

“Really? I won’t be a burden?” – She asked the director.

“Of course not, Jong Kook will be by your side so you don’t have to be worry.”

“Thank you very much. Please take care of us.” – She politely bowed at the director.

“The pleasure is mine.” – The director said then walked out of the room together with other people.

“Yeahhh” – She screamed and jumped up and down in front of Jong Kook as they were the only ones left in the room.

“Are you that excited?” – Jong Kook smiled.

“Of course, this is my first acting role.” – She happily stated

“Technically, this is not but you know what? Actually your first acting role was in a MV too.” – Jong Kook recalled.

“Really? Did I? Wow, Deabak.” – She asked, surprised

“Yeah, I believe it was Lee Soo Young’s MV for the song “And I love you”. Do you want to watch it?” – He asked.

(A/N: In case you like to watch that MV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgB7KqN6L_k)

“Can I really? Do you have the DVD for that?” – She innocently asked.

He laughed – “haha, who need DVD anymore, we can watch it on Youtube.”

“What is Youtube oppa?” – She asked, eyes curious.

“Oh I forgot that Youtube wasn’t popular when you was 15. It is a website that people upload Video on and you can watch it for free.”

“What is upload mean oppa?”

“Oh well, it’s very complicated. I will explain to you later. We can watch the MV first ok?”

“Sure” – She happily agreed

Jong Kook the MV. Ji Hyo was surprised looking at herself in the MV.

“Wow I am very young in the MV.”

“Yeah, you were only 19 back then.” – Jong Kook said.

They got quiet as the song started as Ji Hyo focused on watching her own acting.

“It was very sad.” – She stated as the MV ended. – “Wasn’t it miserable knowing your boyfriend loving somebody else and tried to pretend like nothing happened?”

“It definitely is.” – He said, low voice.

 He was the one understood that feeling better than anyone, knowing his girlfriend used to have someone else in her heart but still willing to ignore everything to be with her. It was a sad memory but he was looking at her right now. She was innocent and had only him in her heart. He knew it might sound selfish but maybe it would be better if her memory never came back. So she would always have only him in her heart, no one before him, and no one after him, one and only him.

He looked at her, smile gently.

She looked at him, smile innocently.