Chapter 7 - Last day in Haenam

The Heart

An excited day had gone by; all the Running Man casts and guests were resting cozily inside a cabin after a delicious BBQ dinner. They were supposed to have a big campfire but the rain didn’t allow it to happen. They still tried to make the best of it and had a cozy dinner inside while cooking BBQ on the balcony. After the making up last night, Ji Hyo and Jong Kook spirits got much better. Especially Jong Kook, he was more relaxing and less angry compared to yesterday. Ji Hyo took turn with Haha and Kwang Soo to grill the meat. She especially saved the mushroom and the best pieces of meat with least fat for Jong Kook since she knew how conscious Jong Kook was over food. Haha and Kwang Soo saw that but they didn’t say anything and just smiled secretly looking at each other. If there were no guests or no camera around, they probably would tease Ji Hyo until her face turn to a tomato for taking too much care of Jong Kook. When Ji Hyo handed the food to Jong Kook, he secretly pretend to accidently touch her hand and it was enough to make Ji Hyo blush.

After the dinner, all the guests and casts were asked by the PD to answer a survey about their true feeling toward their partners secretly. They all pour their heart to write the most honest opinion about their partner but they didn’t expect their answers were read in front of everybody even though it was anonymous.

Ji Hyo was surprised and flustered when her survey was the first to be read out loud. Since she thought it was anonymous, she wrote it very honestly but she sensed that reading that survey out loud can cause jealousy to the sensitive Kim Jong Kook. When Yoo Jae Suk read the first few words, she recognized right away it was her and tried to stop Jae Suk from reading it out loud. She would have been able to get away with getting caught as the owner of the letter but she was too flustered to think it through

. Everybody knew it was her and of course Jong Kook was the one that curious most about what she wrote about another young handsome guy.  In the question about her first impression of her partner, she wrote “Other than a little awkwardness at first, he’s perfectly handsome, funny, kind, and a perfect partner all around” and in the question “If you could switch your partner, who would you choose”, she answered “Kim Dong Joon, I want to see how far his enthusiastic can go”. Dong Jun couldn’t hide his fluster hearing the sweet answers from Song Ji Hyo. His face couldn’t help but turn red. She could choose his Monday boyfriend as the partner but she decided to stick to him until the end even though he disappointed her more than once. He saw hope and his spirit went straight up.

 Ji Hyo’s answers really caused uproar for the whole crew. Haha kept telling her that she should confess to Dong Jun already and Gary of course didn’t miss the chance to show how jealous he was over her statement.

Ji Hyo cared less about how Haha and Gary reacted, she only worried about how Jong Kook felt. She took a quick glance at Jong Kook and she could tell that he was pretty jealous right now but tried to cover his emotion with the poker face. “What the hell she thinks she writing? Does she really like that kid? Handsome? Funny? Kind? Perfect? Is she trying to confess to him? She didn’t even use that many kind words to describe about me but she said that about the kid that she just met the first time. I hoped that she would write my name as the partner that she wanted to change. This girl really likes to challenge my patience” – Jong Kook angrily thought.

 Jong Kook jealousy was burning to his head when he heard Kim Dong Jun’s survey. In the question “The first impression of your partner?” he answered “She’s so beautiful and pretty. Very happy!” “Of course she is beautiful, she is my girlfriend you crazy boy, don’t even think about it” – Jong Kook really wanted to yell that thought out loud to Dong Jun’s face but he tried to act cool. However, his anger really reached the top when he heard Kim Dong Jun wrote “I’m very with noona as my partner, I love her.” “She is your noona for God shake, wake up from your dream and don’t even think about her. Love her, are you kidding me? You are 9 years younger than her. She may be your partner in the game but she is my partner in real life” – Jong Kook almost couldn’t handle his anger and run to Dong Jun to pull his collar up but he tried to keep calm considering the filming were still going on.

This wasn’t the first time Song Ji Hyo got partner up with good looking male guest but something about Kim Dong Jun really made Jong Kook concerned like an uneasy feeling before the storm starts.

On the following filming day, Jong Kook and Ji Hyo were mostly separated again. They were both disappointed but Dong Jun was rather happy. After listening to Ji Hyo’s survey he was so joyful that he couldn’t sleep. He couldn’t wait for the sun to go up so he can spend more time with his noona. Ji Hyo was sad at first for not being able to spend more time with her boyfriend but she was surprised how much fun she was having with Dong Jun. They got along pretty well considering the age difference. Ji Hyo was not a people person so it always took her a while to get along with others that was the reason she was always distant to the guests. But it was not the case when she was with Dong Jun. She felt like they had a good connection and even though it was their first meeting but Ji Hyo felt very close to Dong Jun, an unexplainable familiarity

Dong Jun was a gentle man always helping and watching over Ji Hyo even though he supposed to be a dongsaeng. He offered his hand to help Ji Hyo get in and out the boat. He was always the first one to pull her up when she fail down on the mud field. When she caught a big eel, he was the one that helping her to lift the fishing rope up even though she called Gary for help. He never stopped impressed her with his gentleman manner even on screen or off screen.

 Dong Jun had never taken his eyes of Ji Hyo all the time they were together so he was always the first helping his noona. He was happy being able to take care for Ji Hyo. He felt the butterfly in his stomach every time Ji Hyo smiled at him or accidently touched him.

The fun day was finally over, all the guests and casts got back to Seoul by airplane. The bus picked them up at the airport and dropped them off at SBS building. Ji Hyo was walking to the parking lot to wait for Jong Kook since they decided to spend the night together but Dong Jun quickly ran after her.

  • Noona – Dong Jun called Ji Hyo out loud.
  • Oh Dong Jun ah. – Ji Hyo answered in surprise.
  • Noona, can I … can I ask for your phone number. – Dong Jun shyly asked. – Just that I am about to play in a drama and I never acted before so I want to ask you for some acting advice if you don’t mind … - Dong Jun tried to make up a lie.
  • Oh sure, no problem. – Ji Hyo gladly said while walking toward Dong Jun but she stripped on a rock. Dong Jun quickly ran to the falling Ji Hyo and catch her on time but accidently hugged her in his chest. Ji Hyo right ear landed directly on Dong Jun chest and she got frozen for a second.

 She heard something familiar, the heartbeat, a very familiar heartbeat. That was the same heartbeat that comforted her 15 years ago – Lee Dong Wook’s heartbeat. She couldn’t believe in what she was hearing. The heartbeat that had always brought her peace 15 years ago but now that very same heartbeat brought her tears, the tears of happiness, of confusion. She was happy listening to the heartbeat the she thought eternally stopped beating but she was also confused because there was no way that it was Dong Wook’s. The man standing in front of her was a young idol Kim Dong Jun not her first love Lee Dong Wook. But that heartbeat … that heartbeat was too extinctive and she knew she was not mistaken. It was exact same heartbeat sound of her first love.

Dong Jun didn’t understand why Ji Hyo standing frozen with her face on his chest. He pulled her out to check if she was ok but Ji Hyo looked like she lost all her senses. She lifted her hand up and put on Dong Jun chest, where his heart is. She again felt his heartbeat with her hand and the tears suddenly poured out of her eyes. “This is definitely Dong Wook heartbeat” – She emotionally thought. She couldn’t control her feeling anymore. The heartbeat that she thought she would never hear again now beating right on front of her. She can’t get her hand off him. Dong Jun became even more confused seeing Ji Hyo crying.

  • Are you ok noona? – Dong Jun worriedly asked but Ji Hyo didn’t answer and kept crying quietly.
  • Ji Hyo – Jong Kook’s scream pulled Ji Hyo back to her sense. He stood there since Ji Hyo fail to Dong Jun chest. He also got frozen witnessing Ji Hyo’s unexplainable behavior. He didn’t understand why his girlfriend was putting her hand on another man’s chest and crying. But he just couldn’t stand still doing nothing so he angrily said – What are you doing here? – and pull Ji Hyo to his car while looking angrily at Dong Jun.

Dong Jun still stood there watching Ji Hyo got pulled away by Jong Kook and tried to puzzle what just happened. It was a very special feeling when Ji Hyo touched his heart. The heart suddenly felt like getting much calmer and warmer, an indescribable comfort kind of feeling spread through his body at that moment. He put his hand on his chest and felt his heartbeat after Ji Hyo gone. He felt like her hand was still there, on his chest. He suddenly felt like crying. A tear dropped from a corner of his eye without him noticing. “Noona, what just happened?” – He whispered to himself.