Chapter 35 - Hello Running Man

The Heart

“Are you ready to watch the 5 lost years of your life?” – Jong Kook asked as he inserting the first DVD

She nodded. She was nervous, her heart was beating fast. The feeling of watching her lost 5 years on TV wasn’t easy. She was about to witness what she was like when she grew up. She wondered how much she changed. How she looked like on the TV and how she met the man that calling himself her fiancé.

“You was on the show starting episode 2 but let’s watch episode one so you can know everybody first ok?” – Jong Kook suggested.

“OK” – She nervously nodded.

“Do you remember any of them?” – He asked as the TV was showing the introduction.

She shook her head.

“It’s ok. None of them was actually famous 19 years ago but they all are very famous now. Yoo Jae Suk hyung is national MC. He is very popular. You actually met him before Running Man.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, there was a show call Family Outing before, it was also a variety show. You were a guest. Actually, that how we first met too.”

“For real?” – She looked at him in surprise.

He nodded and smiled.

Jong Kook introduced other members as they continued watching the show.

Ji Hyo had a lot of questions because they were all very new to her. Even the term PD or VJ were like alien language to her. Jong Kook patiently answered all her questions. Ji Hyo enjoyed watching the show very much. She laughed hard at the funny moments, even at herself.

“Oppa, are you sure I’m an actress?” – She asked Jong Kook as she watching herself lying on the floor to hide from Jong Kook team.

“Yeah, why?” – He smiled.

“What kind of actress that is lying on the floor like that? Isn’t actress supposed to keep their pretty image?” – Ji Hyo asked

“That’s your charm. You are very natural on screen. Once you were into the game, you pretty much didn’t care about image or anything. That’s why people love you a lot.”

“Really? But oppa why are you being so mean to me on TV? Did we start dating then?” – She scowled as she watched the part that he ripped off her nametag.

“We hadn’t dated at that time but I secretly in love with you though.” – He winked.

She blushed. She still couldn’t explain how the little eyes like his could be so attractive when it winked. The butterflies kept having seizure in her stomach every time he did that.  

“So why did you bully me even though you like me?” – Asked her, sulky tone

“Because I have to hide my feeling for you. Seeing Gary and Joong Ki all over you irritated me very much so the only thing I could do was being aggressive. Since I were aggressive toward every one, I had to treat you the same way or rumor would be spread out”

“Why do you have to worry about rumor oppa?” – She innocently asked.

“Well, as a celebrity you have to please your fan. You can lose your fan if they knew that you had special interest in someone and it could be bad for your loved one too. You had a lot of antifan when Joong Ki did the loveline with you. You received a thousand hate letters from his fans.”

“Wow seriously? The fans can be that crazy?” – Her pupil dilated wide.

 “Yeah, they wanted to save their idols for themselves so they could be very aggressive. Just like the one …” – Jong Kook paused.

 He was about to say just like the one that stabbed her but he didn’t think that it would be a good time for him to bring it up yet. There would be too much to explain and she hadn’t seemed to be ready yet.

“Just like what oppa?” – She looked at him, waiting for answer.

“Nothing.” – He smiled.

“What with the Monday Couple oppa? Had I and Gary actually datet?” – She asked, curiously

He laughed hard. “Haha, no, you two never dated. It was just for the show. But a lot of people ship you two though.”

“What is ship mean oppa?”

“It’s when fans pair their idols together and hoped the relationship would be real. They could be very dedicated in supporting their couples.”

“Wow! There are so many new things that I didn’t know.” – She said in amazement.

“It’s ok. You always can learn new thing. You are a smart girl.” – He smiled.

“But how did you feel when I was paired with Gary? Isn’t it weird?” – She looked at him and asked

“It was but I had to work with it. We are professional after all.” – He smiled.

“Entertainment world is indeed a complicated world. Don’t you feel tired faking your emotion oppa?”

“It is sometime but it’s the path that we chose. It’s all worth it when you see the excited face that fans have when they see you.”

“I guess I learned a lot in the last 19 years because the real me would never be able to conceal my emotion.”

“Yeah,  people change. You did too, in a good way though.”

“Thank you oppa.” – She smiled softly.

They kept on watching the show. Their eyes focused on the TV. Before he knew it, Ji Hyo was already asleep. Her head rested comfortably on his shoulder. He looked at her for a long time. It had been so long since she slept on his shoulder like that. They used to watch TV together at her place often before. Ji Hyo had a habit of sleeping before the movie ended. She always missed the ending and bugged Jong Kook to tell her the next day. There was time that he thought he would never be able to feel her head on his shoulder again. But there she was, sleeping peacefully as she always did before.

 “Ji Hyo ah, it’s ok even if you never remember anything, just stay by my side like this forever is enough.” – He kissed her forehead softy then sat still and observed her for a long time. He missed that moment so much.

Her forehead formed a V; she seemed not to be very comfortable sleeping in sitting position. He carried her up in his arms and brought her to her room. She nuzzled her face on his chest. His heart beat fast as her face, her nose, her lips touched his chest. Even through his thick T-shirt, he still felt her warm breath. He had to take a deep breath to calm his arousal down.

He putted her on her bed. She was still sleeping peacefully as he dropped her down. He lied next to her for a moment. His face was facing hers, only a few inches apart. He couldn’t get enough of her pretty face. He missed the feeling lying next to her very much. He softly caressed her hair and ran his hand gently down to her face.

“Ji Hyo ah, oppa really want to sleep next to you tonight but I know you would be freak out when you wake up. So I will sleep in my room tonight. I will patiently wait for the day you let me lay next to you. Just don’t let me wait too long ok? Oppa miss you very much. Saeranghae” – He whispered, planted a soft kiss on her chubby cheek, and came back to his room.

It was 6 o’clock in the morning, Jong Kook knocked on Ji Hyo’s door. She took 20 minutes to respond to his knock.

“Yes oppa?” – She opened the door, her eyes were still half closed and her hairs were all over her face.

His first reaction was laughed. “Are you still tired” – He asked.

“N-ne” – She said, couldn’t even lift her eyes up

“Ok, well I just receive a phone call from Running Man and they asked me to go filming today. Turn out, we may have to film out of town for 3 days straight. Are you ok to be home by yourself for three days?” – He concerned.

The news totally woke her up. She rubbed her eyes hard looking at him

“Three days? Why is it so long? What am I going to do with myself? Omma and appa are on vacation with Shin Hye.” -  She scowled.

Jong Kook bit his lips, trying to figure out what he should do.

“Do you want to go with me?”- He offered.

“Can I? It’s your work. I don’t think I should be there.” – She concerned.

“Don’t worry! I don’t think anyone will mind. They all wanted to see you any way.” – He smiled.

“But still, you will be working. I don’t want to bother you” – She looked down.

“You are not bothering me. Doctor said it would be good for you to be surrounded by the working environment. Let’s go there, you may be able to remember something”

“Really?” – Her eyes sparked with hope.

“Yeah, let’s pack your clothes enough for three days, I will make breakfast ok?”

She happily nodded.

Jong Kook’s car was waiting for them readily as they finished their breakfast. They arrived at SBS building to get ready before flying out to their destination.

All the casts were surprised seeing Ji Hyo walked it.

“Omo, who is here? Do you feel better Ji Hyo?” – Yoo Jea Suk immediately stood up from his seat and ran to Ji Hyo.

“Oh noona, how are you? I miss you so much.” – Kwang Soo said, opened his arms about to give Ji Hyo a hug but Jong Kook kicked him on his stomach.

“How many times did I tell you to stop overreacting?” – Jong Kook glanced.

“I’m sorry hyung. I’m just too happy seeing noona” – Kwang Soo hugged his stomach and said.

Ji Hyo laughed looking at how they interact with each other. Turn out, they treated each other the same way whether the camera was on or not.

Gary, Haha, and Suk Jin also took turn to greet and gave Ji Hyo hugs.

Gary gave her a longest hug and it irritated Jong Kook/

“I only let you hug her like this today ok? Next time you know what is going to happen.” – Jong Kook glared at Gary.

“I know Hyung” – Gary said, backing away and everybody were laughing hard.

Ji Hyo was overwhelmed with everybody’s welcoming. She couldn’t remember any of them but she felt their warmness. She felt close to them even it was the first time she met them. Now she understood why Jong Kook said Running Man was her second family. Everybody seemed to love her very much. She was speechless and couldn’t respond to any of them.

“Ji Hyo ah, we heard about your condition. It’s ok if you don’t remember us. We remember you. Let’s start new memory together as a family ok?” – Suk Jin warmly said.

Everybody agreed. They surrounded her and gave her a big group hug. It was warm and loving. She was touched and couldn’t control her tears in their warm affectionate arms.